College Life Truths

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

College Life Truths

Postby zepherin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:56 pm

Because a lot of you guys are going into college or in college I am going to tell you some life truths. Things I have picked up living that most people will not tell you about college.

1. If you are unpopular in high school. You will probably be unpopular in college. A change of setting helps but if you do not talk to people in high school and are socially inept things are not going to magically change. Get better at talking to strangers. Practice on the bus.

2. Honors classes, AP classes, extra curricular are bullshit for getting into a college. If you enjoy them (extra curriculars) good for you, but in general if instead of AP and honors classes you go to the community college and take that class after school your HS will probably reimburse you and you'll get college credit and you will spend less time doing it than an honors class. Also a state community college GPA is more significant than your HS requirements. After a certain amount of credits you become a transfer student. And a 3.4 as a transfer student will be more valued than a 4.3 as a HS student. Look at the enrollment brochure and you'll see the requirements are significantly less for transfer students.

3. Eat some vegetables. College kids have shit diets and vegis are cheap

4. If your cost to live on campus is more than the cost for getting an apartment. Get an apartment, even better is if your parents can spring for a condo. Then when the condo sells there is some recapturing of money.

5. Colleges are corrupt. There is graft and kickbacks on every level. Your information will be sold and you will be gouged at every opportunity.

6. And if you read anything I have said read this it is the most important. Any employer is going to prioritize degrees like this. Place they went to school, schools they heard are prestigious, every other accredited school. If your having trouble choosing a school keep that in mind.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:40 pm

Last edited by Wulfespinndel on Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
No. of Combat Arms Unbelievables: 3
Live by the Sword die by the Sword

Re: College Life Truths

Postby Jonathon Redley » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:36 pm

I have two to add:

7. When it comes to certain classes where you have to write opinion-based papers (English, Literature; even History depending on the course), try and appeal to your professor's political leanings in your papers. Even if they're ones you personally disagree with. Your professor's expectations are much more lax if you 'agree' with them.

8. Your GPA in high school is what gets you into college. Your GPA as an undergraduate is what gets you into graduate school. As a graduate, all anyone cares about is your dissertation. With the way graduate courses are ordered, it's extremely hard to get a grade lower than a B or a C (if you merit anything less than a C, then you wouldn't be in the graduate program anyway). But hey, what really counts is your thesis.
Quote of the Moment
Nix wrote:Forget constructive dialog, debate or differing points of view; from now on I think we should all just throw shoes whenever we disagree with somebody. That's what civilized, responsible people do. Eat shoe, political detractors!

Postby Monkeys85 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:27 pm

Since There might not be any educational advice that I could input, let me add this

9. It's College, have fun, balance work and play and you'll do fine. Also if you go to a University with a very strong Greek community, make some Greek friends or join a frat.

Postby Grivous » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:55 pm

These I always use and always works:

10. The Power of Ignore. You know that girl(you never saw) who always comes in your side and ask anything uncomfortable. Like: "I am hot" or "Do you masturbate with your hand or your foot?" or anything to get your attention? Ignore. Do you know that guy(you never saw) who comes in your side and says: "That girl likes you."? Ignore and/or says: "Sorry, I like girls, not mans.". That girl who comes in your front, look to your clothes and says: "You are ridiculous with this clothes."? Look down and up, and ignore. Ignore. Ignore. Ignore. Ignore. Ignore. Ignore. And multiple times ignore.
Why? The "enemy" HATES that. He(she) hates been ignored. He(she) hates been ignored. He(she) bother you because you care, if you care, he(she) is happy because he succeed to bother you! If you don't care, he(she) gets bored and forget you.

11. The "Scary Face"(to use in stupid people). You know that girl or guy, who always trying to annoy you with EVERYTHING what he got? Well, let's make a example... Imagine your "friendly" collegue take your note and smash all the pages. Everyone will be laughing(because it's funny, I think). DON'T DO ANYTHING. If you hurt him(her), you will be probably expell from the school(what he[the bad guy or bad girl] want to happen). Just look to his(her) face. Just look, with no expressions. No angry, no happy, nothing. Just look to his(her) face. With time, the laughs will cease, slowly. And cease. And cease.
Now he(she) is scared. No one are laughing with what he did. He is alone.
(This part don't need to use, only if he(she) are really stupid)
Probably he will try to "get out", with some rest of his "honor", touching in you and saying: "Hey, dude, calm down. ^^". If he touch, you can get him(her) and smash him(her) on the wall(or just on the floor). Looks violent? Well, he(she) started, didn't he?

Why you will need these? It's usefull to don't suffer bullying by the others.

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Icha » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Well, I get how they could steal your shit for #5, but how exactly would they kickback and graft against you?
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby Grivous » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:08 pm

Well, you don't need to do this ALL THE TIME! Only if was necessary. You can touch to them hands, say "Hello! Good Morning!", "Thanks, dude!", to hug them, and etc. Be a nice person, not a bad person.

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby EagleMan » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:15 am

I don't take AP classes to have a better chance of getting into college
I take them to have less to do in college.

Also Grivous..that's rather..interesting..seems more applicable to middle/high school but ok.

Postby zepherin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:08 am

Rosso Rose wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'm still in High School as a Sophomore and I still have a long way to go. Hard to believe all those Honors and AP classes aren't going to do shit.

EDIT: Which college have you taken zeph? I've been reading number 2 a few times and I was wondering how you went to college.

I got my BA in Social Science with a minor in psychology. I'm currently 4 months shy of my MBA. I went to community college for 2 years. State college for 2 years and a private college for 2 years because I thought originally that I wanted to be a programmer. And computer programming sucks. My MBA program is through an accredited online program.

It's not that APs and honors do not help it's just that your time is better spent. You could take retard math and take the community college class in addition to it on your spare time and you would spend less time then taking an honors or AP class. College classes are less time intensive then high school honors/AP classes. Most high schools increase the difficulty of the class by adding more work instead of using a more advanced curriculum, and colleges put more weight towards college credits than high school most of the time, state colleges from accredited state community colleges all of the time. Transfer students have a lower entrance requirements then high school graduates, some don't even need SAT/ACT scores if they have enough credits.

Now that being said College classes don't hold your hand like high school classes. Many times the homework isn't graded so it's all on tests and term papers with no safety net. I do know a friend who took my advice got his associates at 18 and finished his BS by 20. Without a single AP class. His councilor was mortified, but his school had a program where if he took community college classes they picked up the bill. And he did 3 credits a semester and 6 credits a summer. 12 credits a year. He pounded the rest out during his summer after high school. His school ended up eating a 12k college bill.

Jonathon Redley makes a good point with 8. Graduate classes don't really give a shit about anything other than your thesis, capstone or project (depending on your masters class).
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Grey » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm

i am laughing quite hard at grivous' post
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Postby Mathias » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:46 pm

I do appreciate his posts, but is there such childish bullying in college?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:53 pm

here's Jesus with advice

- If you're going into a science major chances are your social life will be very limited. I am a decently outgoing person, but these classes will take over your life. Not necessarily with studying, but with hw and readings. And then when the weekend comes, chances are you'll want to stay sleeping. I hang out with close friends maybe one of the two weekend days. The other two are spent in my room being generally lazy and/or getting hw done.

- If you do get an apartment, like I did, usually it's not a good idea to room with close friends unless you're not a clean freak at ALL. I am a man, so obviously I don't do cleaning in my room unless it's necessary. But I am a neat freak when it comes to dirty plates, and living with a roommate, especially for guys, can be quite devastating to the apartment.

Also if you do get an apartment, I highly suggest you not host that many parties. Your apartment/house will look like shit afterwards and the cleaning takes forever.

- AP and Dual Credits can be quite good to not have to take certain classes. But at the same time, those classes you are taking out of your to do list with those credits could help you out with balancing your over-all GPA.

- Chances are you will be doing summer classes, or summer school in general, while doing a science major. Only reason you wouldn't need to is if you are good under stress and have a shitload of credits. I say this because, at least with science/engineering majors, they expect you to take 16-18 hours a semester to graduate in 4 years. Even with summer classes I would still graduate in 4 and a half to five years. depending on whether I take more classes later on.

- Relax. While studying is very important, college can be very stressful with certain things. I was a very independent guy in my household, so living with no parents wasn't that big of a deal for me. But eating properly is very important. If you don't know how to cook, buy pre-made food such as salads, and make sure you eat the healthy variation of everything.

- Chances are you won't need your car for much. Usually there's bus stops.

If I think of anything else I'll mention it.
A Pimp Named Jeezy Creezy: Lasting all the way up to Valentine's.

And the Pimpeth lord sat amidst his real ballin' players, the Apostles, and raisingeth his cup of Cristal as they devoured the grapes and cheese from the finest bitches in town he said

"Sleepery Dee, Sleepery Doo.
Whoever betrays me tonight, I'll mo'fuckin' cap you!"

Postby zepherin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:03 pm

Jesus makes a good point. Don't expect to graduate in 4 years. Only 1 in 3 people do it. I think it's 50/50 for people who do it in 5 and 2/3rds who do it in 6 while the rest either drop out or eventually get around to it.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/21/pf/coll ... ion_rates/

Mathias: People can be dicks in any setting.

Postby Wizard » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Never drink the night before a test.

Don't smoke during Finals week. Doubly so for drinking.

Postby Grey » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:09 pm

>study high
>take the test high
>get high grades

this is how you succeed
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Suave Brit

Postby Wizard » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Never listen to Grey.

Postby zepherin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:27 pm

It works for some people, but for the most part don't drink before a test. I got blasted before I took the ACTs and I only got a 24. It was 4 in the morning when I stopped drinking and set the alarm for 6. I woke up drunk.

Postby Grey » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:33 pm

this one guy was trippin on acid during my maths GCSE exam 3 years ago
he got up from his desk and ran to the other end of the room towards one of the invigilators
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Suave Brit

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:35 pm

oh here's another advice:

- if you were anything like me, in high school you got nothing but A's and B's [and my high school was pretty tough compared to the others in the same area].

So here's advice. BE PREPARED to fail one or two exams. Not so much the first semester, but from there on out chances are you will get a failing grade on a couple of exams. Thing is, if the class isn't massive [you will know the classroom when you see it] the teachers usually do curves. I had a class where my average was around a 65 or 66 after the final, and that was the B cut off line.

Just because I say this, it doesn't mean all teachers will do so. Many teachers don't have a minimum amount of students with B's and A's, so they just do it by the book.

- Your grade in a class will depend, at least 40%, on the teacher. Sign up for websites like MyEdu, which let you see teachers and their class grades, reviews by students which they give you hints on how the class is and whether they recommend the teacher etc...

And the Pimpeth lord sat amidst his real ballin' players, the Apostles, and raisingeth his cup of Cristal as they devoured the grapes and cheese from the finest bitches in town he said

Postby zepherin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:21 pm

Grey: to be fair their are drugs that if you take them will help you study and increase test scores.

Postby Tuor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:03 pm

A lot of these things (especially Jesus' most recent post) seem to depends on where you're going to college. So for people reading this who aren't going to college in the States, take that into account.

Basically, I'll just say this:

• You have to monitor yourself and try to be disciplined, when you have reading to do for the week, do them. If you ignore them it might not bite you in the ass right away, but come the midterm/final you're going to wish you had just done each weeks reading when they were assigned, instead of trying to read them all in the days before the exam.

• You're going to experience loads of people studying non-stop for like 12 hours straight. Don't be one of these people, after a few hours your brain will not absorb anymore information and you're just burning yourself out. Space out your studying and take breaks, you'll remember more.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:52 pm

funny you mention that tuor, I was about to take a break, have some dinner with tv, and continue studying afterwards.

Postby Mathias » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:06 pm

Grey wrote:this one guy was trippin on acid during my maths GCSE exam 3 years ago
he got up from his desk and ran to the other end of the room towards one of the invigilators

What's an invigilator?

*Asks just before going to Google.*
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Jay » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:07 pm

a person who sits in on the test, ideally has no idea how one would answer the tests contents, and is there solely to prevent cheating and dishonesty.
みんなのモデレーターToastCrustだよ★
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | Tumblr | MAL

Postby Mathias » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:09 am

I'm reminded of the movie Stand and Deliver, but I've never seen that irl.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion