Go, Monkey, go! New WIP

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Go, Monkey, go! New WIP

Postby Boymonkey130 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:25 pm

Yeah, I'm sorta new to coloring and cleaning images up digitally, so it took me a while to find a good style for working it, and I wanna know how you guys think I did. This is the first image I've drawn, scanned, cleaned up, and colored (digitally), so I need to know how to improve. :O

This is a character for a comic I'm planning on starting up sometime soon, so this is one of the more finalized version of him.

It's based off a really, really silly roleplay me and some friends did, so a lot of the characters are silly in name and powers, but I think it would end up pretty well as as comic. >.>

Oh, and I ramble, so before I speak any more:

Yeah, so, tell me what you think, C&C, all that stuff. >:3

And I know the skin tone is all messed up. >.> I need some help with picking skin colors. And I just plain got fed up with the arm, so that's why it looks so awkward. D:>

Sorry, I keep adding more through editing, but I think this might be sorta vital: I use The GIMP, because it's the only thing I really have available. Obviously getting a non-freeware paint program would be the first step to getting better at this, but before I get that I'm getting a tablet. D:
http://www.wacom.com/graphire/4x5.cfm

EDIT: I just realized that my computer monitor is totally messed up, so the colors are probably WAY. TOO. DARK. My monitor refuses to get to a good brightness without messin' up t3h colorz.
Last edited by Boymonkey130 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Postby Faust777 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:14 pm

Nice stuff, and welcome to the forum.
Its really pretty kool but there are some minor proportional flaws, which I wont shit you about, but yeah, I hope to see more.
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, sit back, relax, and let the world wonder how the fuck you did it.
My art thread~
Nabichan: Seriously, you are the epitome of all that is awesome in the world
Dinosaurpirate: Well yeah, could anyone so weird be anything BUT an artist?
Vegedus: Theres only rape is theres a tentacle monster
Mcdurg:@Faust: Win.
Fenrisulfrhell, even if i broke one of my arms, i still have the other one, two legs, an elbow, a head, two knees, my hips, and my feet to beat their ass
Prinny Captain

Postby DarkCrystal65 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:20 pm

look good enough for me. I do suggest you use a darker color for your shading since I can barely see the shading right now. Proportion need some work and you should add some highlight to it. What program do you use to color?
The Darkness in our Hearts....
Improving myself in every picture but I need critics so please comment.

My Art Thread

Postby Boymonkey130 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:22 pm

I use The GIMP, it's basically a freeware, watered down Photoshop. It's not spectacular, but it's the best freeware paint I've found. D:

And the lines are thin because my scanner stinks, so I had to turn the contrast WAY up to reduce the smudging. >.< Practice makes perfect, though. :D

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to say this earlier, but this character's name is Raynor, A.K.A. Guitar Hero. Because, uhm... He uses a guitar. XD

Postby DarkCrystal65 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:28 pm

hmm... it look good enough to draw on so here' some pointers.

1. Use layers it is the most essential part of computer drawing(if you don't know how look on the computer)

2. Learn to either trace on th computer or how to use the pen tool. They'll help to create new cleaner outline of your picture.

3. When you want to shade put it on a different layer since then you can draw on and it won't affect any other layer.

Should be good for now. Suggest you try some of it out and come back later when your done.

My Art Thread

Postby Boymonkey130 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:34 pm

Layers are difficult and fussy on GIMP, and since this was mostly a practice on how well I could clean it up, I didn't use them this time. But thanks to bringing that up. I'll have to look into layers on the next image. :D

Oh, and you'll notice that many of the characters draw background from other things. Guitar Hero's name is obviously taken from the game. One character is a jedi, almost complete copy of a star wars character. One bakes chozomufins (don't ask), which is both silly, and steals background from the metroid series.

I'm gonna try to explain as much of the copyright-infringement as I can, such as changing it from a lightsaber to a 'beam sword'. XD
It's not a big deal to most people, but I don't want this to be stealing tons of ideas from other places. >.> Blame my friends for this, not me. :O

So, yeah, once I get this next image done, I'll scan it and try working with layers next time. :3

EDIT: What gave away that I didn't use layers?

EDITEDIT: If anyone's wondering what I'm getting this from, here's a link to the forum. It's in general chat>The Epic Sequel. Which is a sequel to the original "Epic Quest" topic, A poorly done but dearly loved rp. http://z11.invisionfree.com/Metroid_Clubhouse/index.php?showtopic=219
The forum as a whole is metroid themed(obviously), so if you wanna sign up, keep that in mind. D:>

((Not that you shouldn't sign up for other reasons; we need members badly, but don't blatantly bash it if you happen to join.))

Postby Faust777 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:40 pm

Dark-crystal beat me to it while i was eating...
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, sit back, relax, and let the world wonder how the fuck you did it.
My art thread~
Fenrisulfrhell, even if i broke one of my arms, i still have the other one, two legs, an elbow, a head, two knees, my hips, and my feet to beat their ass
Prinny Captain

Postby DarkCrystal65 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:49 pm

Boymonkey130 wrote:EDIT: What gave away that I didn't use layers?

lol I'm good like that. Your picture doesn't look like it used layers because the shading is light and it doesn't blend with the skin color too well. When people doing shading on the same layer they can't blend it in too when and you get the really sharp line that you can tell. Also you didn't color everything. I can see white spot in the guitar strings which mean either one of too things your really lazy and didn't bother to color it in or you can't because your doing it in one layer and don't want to erase the string away.

Faust777 wrote:Dark-crystal beat me to it while i was eating..

your too slow XP

My Art Thread

Postby Boymonkey130 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:11 pm

:o I didn't think of the string thing. >:3

Yeah, I didn't use layers. I'm not quite sure how I'd use layers just yet, because I've found them pretty tricky in GIMP. I'm sure I'll figure it out quickly enough. XD

Anyways, thanks for the tips, I'll try them once I get some good lines. :D

Postby DarkCrystal65 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:17 am

Boymonkey130 wrote:Yeah, I didn't use layers. I'm not quite sure how I'd use layers just yet, because I've found them pretty tricky in GIMP. I'm sure I'll figure it out quickly enough. XD

I'm pretty sure they're like most other programs that use layer. trying looking for a tutorial on it or something.

My Art Thread

Postby Boymonkey130 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:57 pm

I have a big list of tutorials, so I'm sure I have one in there. :3

Re: Go, Monkey, go!

Postby Boymonkey130 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:42 pm

Here's three more. >.> Just random doodles on my last day of school. >:D I might clean them up, I might not. It just depends. :3

Postby Faust777 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:44 pm

Tas Awesome!
My art thread~
Prinny Captain

Postby Boymonkey130 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:49 pm

I got a tablet! Woohoo!

Now, not only can I draw digitally, more quickly, and cleaner, but it's less of a hassle to get it online! :D

I.
Am.
So.

Happy right now! Yeah... I'm doing a quickie MS paint doodle just to test it out. It came with some software, and I'll mess around with that once I get some good lines. >:3

If you're wondering, I got a Wacom Graphire 4x5.
(I think it's 4x5)

Woohoo! If anyone has any tips for me about tablets, I'd be glad to hear them, and, in short, I'm finally gonna be updating pretty often. :D

Excitement!

Added after 1 hours 20 minutes:

It's really hard for me to get onto this board from this computer, my blasted internet-blocked is locking me out too quickly. I can't edit my post, so I need to post this seperately. :o

This is basically just a quick sketch I did to get used to using the stylus and such. >:3

it's really cool, actually... I can't wait to ink and color it with the other programs...

[img=http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.66f599fad1.gif]

Postby Boymonkey130 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:09 pm

I just found a paintchat server I like. :D I drew these last night in it, mostly to figure out what the tools did...

Last edited by Boymonkey130 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Atisutoakino » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:16 pm

The image isn't working..?
I made my pkmn trainer card so STOP BUGGING ME!!
dA account Add me? I think you should...
My Art Thread Yaa.

Postby Boymonkey130 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:54 pm

fixed

Postby Atisutoakino » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:06 pm

sweet! *gigagasp* smoking is bad.
I made my pkmn trainer card so STOP BUGGING ME!!
dA account Add me? I think you should...
My Art Thread Yaa.

Postby Faust777 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:23 pm

question?

W/ paint, how can you do THAT? I can barely make scribbles with the shit.
HOw?
My art thread~
Prinny Captain

Postby Boymonkey130 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:46 pm

I got a tablet... >.> I spent like, thirty minutes cleaning up the lines... Just a second, I'll show you what it looks like before "inking"

Also, this is a rough draft coloring. Other than this, I've de-layered all the colors into their own layer so I can shade them individually, or even have interchangable colors! (excitement!) lol, so, yeah... here's the basic coloring, and a few of my other pchat pictures.

That emo is an example of what it looked like before I cleaned up the lines. It's a bit worse, but it's the general idea.

Postby MrHoboX » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:24 pm

It looks like a good start. Though depending of the drawing sometimes it might be better to ink your stuff using just ink and not going digitally.
_-The Official Trademarks Of MrHoboX-
(AWESOME TO THE MAX!/*Thumbs Up)
Note: Use of these without the express written consent of MrHoboX, will result in Disemboweling, survivors will be burnt, if you survive that then you my friend get pie... Sweet sexy pie.

Postby Boymonkey130 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:43 pm

I got a few things done while the forum was down, might as well post them. :O

In the collaboration I drew the hands and puppet. >.> I don't like it all that much, but whatever...

Whatcha think of the style? I'm thinking of doing some more pictures in this style...

Ice is really, really hard to draw... O_o

Postby MrHoboX » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:50 pm

lol, zombies and smiley faces sweet!
_-The Official Trademarks Of MrHoboX-
(AWESOME TO THE MAX!/*Thumbs Up)
Note: Use of these without the express written consent of MrHoboX, will result in Disemboweling, survivors will be burnt, if you survive that then you my friend get pie... Sweet sexy pie.

Postby Boymonkey130 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:08 pm

More pictures, huzzah! Yeah, Today I thought I'd draw another wizard, and ONE of them turned out alright. :o I couldn't really think of a lightning-based pet, though, so he doesn't get one. >:3

Drew another of those sketchy drawings. The guy's arm is way too long, but it turned out alright.

Drawing large pictures of people definitely isn't my strong point, which is really easy to say after looking at this picture.Image

EDIT: And after the server move, my computer's stopped blocking the ads, so I can get on here really easy. :snoogins:

Postby nabichan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:25 pm

Nice works! It all looks so cute and squishy! I'm not sure if that's what you were going for, but whatever. The only thing I could suggest would be to try and make your lines cleaner.

Next

Return to Art