Endling Q & A / Heads up.

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Glahardt » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:58 pm

With all the sudden cuteness?

Postby spazmonkey » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:41 pm

According to the first page, anything that isn't cute is put into the asylum, with the exception of those who encounter the wolf.
this sig is my fanboy badge of HONOR!!!1!
Kamisutra wrote:You're watching the anime with blatant lack of effort

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:19 pm

It's sad that it had to end up that way.
Little children having to be thrown directly into an asylum?
I bet they are not how we think of them, homicidal and all.

But Asylum shtuff rules!

Re: Heads up.

Postby Endling » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:46 pm

Dusk_Imp wrote:OK one more question...I have never read the story of Tom Thumb so when I saw that he has talking shoes, I was thinking either Endling did that or he actually has talking shoes. So was that your idea? And would you want a pair of talking shoes?

The idea/powers of the seven league boots was borrowed, yes, everything else about the boots is of my own creation.

I would not want a pair of talking shoes. Because I know how they behave in the story, and wouldn't wish that fate on anyone. XD

Dave wrote:Endling I just have to say the newest page is BEAUTIFUL. Seriously great stuff.

Pshaaaaw. You flatterer. It gets better. (Well. I hope it does. Haha.) But anyway, glad you like the new look.

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:50 pm

Hmmm.. I thought I had a question...

But here is a random question.

Where does your inspiration come from?

Postby Dusk_Imp » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:12 pm

I agree w/Dave. The new style suits the story. As much as chibi homicidal children are awsome and at times kawaii, I think the more realistic and scrawny look for the characters, specially Red, really shows how the character has been affected by their incounters. And people can take the characters more seriously.

And I have to say Red has a really nice smile. Too bad she won't smile much or at all anymore. *sheds tear for Red's smile*
By reading this you promise your soul and first child to me. All babies not ripe and plump are subjected to burnation under the trogdor act of 2003.
The problem is that God gave man a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time.

"PPGD Fan"-And Dusk_imp, you too are a riot lol
"Blood Knight"-Dusk_Imp, thanks for making this thread, it's so fun.
:up: :up: :down: :down: :left: :right: :left: :right: B A Select Start

Postby Wazit » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:58 am

Woah, I think this deserves a sticky? Uh so anyway, when did you started drawing EA? I mean, before posting it up in the Internet

Postby nekoneko » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:37 am

Endling wrote:
wickedali wrote:What exactly do you do in the way of the arts?

Huh. You may have to rephrase that for me to really catch on to what you're asking.. my brain is muddled from work at the moment. What do I do..? Art-job-wise? What materials do I use and how? How do I take a drawing from start to finish..? Etc? If you can elaborate I'd be happy to answer. :)

As for what I meant by "Everafter is being scripted and drawn out in more of a traditional manga volume format. Not a webcomic format. This is going to cause some troubling little updates now and then when ten gazillion things aren't happening at once."

..long story short, people may not like updates when it's just a page full of instance drawings, like close ups of what Red just picked up, or looking around a corner, etc. I read a lot of Blade of the Immortal and he's exceptionally good at pacing sequences like a live action movie, and a tremendous inspiration to me. Granted, this means there's not nearly as much action/dialogue that happens from page to page, and since there's a weeks wait in between pages, this may cause the strip to lag. But we'll see.

I get what you mean =) Well in a way manga method is better. Since you're doing something like horror-ish it's best to spread the view around. As in elaborating what the character would be doing in a more detailed way, just like how you'd say it, pacing sequences or something like that lol

I'm still learning how to do it. Since I'm stuck drawing my characters facing on ONE side (maybe two but not that good at it) and very very common poses i don't think i can draw comics as good as you.

And i love your works! Your ideas are amazing. I can never think of doing something like making the fairy tales into horror comics. Looks forward to your upcoming pages!! keep it up =D

Postby Lingrem » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:30 am

EndlingShaun, it was nice to come back to the internet world after a week's deprivation and find one of the new pages up! Made me smile. Of course, I was already smiling because I had internet again. But it made me smile bigger.

I like it at the pace you have it. It gets me more absorbed in the story when I wonder what's going to happen next. Not only that, but it makes for a much nicer reread in my opinion anyway. And has it really been a year since you finished the prologue? Holy crow I've really been watching you a long time over at dA then!!!

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:33 am

The slow pace is a good thing though I think becuase it keeps fans hooked.

Postby Endling » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:17 am

wickedali wrote:Where does your inspiration come from?

My inspiration comes from loving to create characters/worlds that others want to know more about. It inspired me when I was little, to see animated movies and television shows; reading a very good book was the most inspiring thing in the world. The kind of book that made you feel ever so slightly depressed when you finished it, because you had to 'leave' the world you'd been invited into since page one.

I wanted to be able to create that same thing. (Even if it is the kind of world Everafter is going to create.) So that is pretty much what keeps me inspired. It's kind of a double-edged sword, and currently what has kept me off of DA and in my own little reclusive shell regarding my artwork. Being pretty heavily reliant on what other people will think of my work has taken a lot out of my artistic self-esteem; it's gotten really bad in the past few months. It's truly all about keeping in balance, a hard thing to do.

wickedali wrote:The slow pace is a good thing though I think becuase it keeps fans hooked.

Well I think pacing in a story MAKES the story, I'm just worried 'cause I dipped into the Bleedman forums a little while ago and people were quite miffed that the current flashback sequence in Grim Tales was taking so long. Ah well. I guess for those people it'll come down to needing more patience, one way or another!

wazit_blade wrote:Woah, I think this deserves a sticky? Uh so anyway, when did you started drawing EA? I mean, before posting it up in the Internet

The school project that inspired Everafter was back in late March of 2005, so I guess around then. Over the summer I think I began actually storyboarding it.

Ugh. No damn milk in the house! Off to 7/11..

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:27 am

I am somewhat good at being patient for updates on a weekly basis, I don't know about anyone else though.
It all really depends on what you feel like, what you feel that you need to do.
And I can understand fully how things can get pretty muddled up (keeping things in balance), I have no inspiration what-so-ever to continue my novel trilogy project, even though I want to so hard to have it published.
But, things have to take some time. Then things will hopefully pan out and get better.

(if that makes any sense, lol)

Postby Acktoo » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:49 pm

Honestly, after being at Snafu for some time, you get used to 'not updates.' It's all gewd.
Too good for you.

Postby Geno » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:19 pm

Endling wrote:
wickedali wrote:The slow pace is a good thing though I think becuase it keeps fans hooked.

Well I think pacing in a story MAKES the story, I'm just worried 'cause I dipped into the Bleedman forums a little while ago and people were quite miffed that the current flashback sequence in Grim Tales was taking so long. Ah well. I guess for those people it'll come down to needing more patience, one way or another!

I don't think it was so much that the flashback took too long, but the fact that Bleed tends to update more sporatically than most in the first place, and people were probably just afraid that, counting weeks without updates, it would take four months before the story went anywhere.

Also it could have been because it was based on a fanfiction that a lot of people had seen already, so the majority of people knew what was going to happen.

But since you tend to be punctual, you probably won't run into that problem...until you go on hiatus and fanatics who don't understand your reason for the perodic hiatuses start to bitch endlessly.

They tend to do that. A lot. If I had a nickel for every person who just started a topic in Bleed's forum complaining about a non-update, I'd at least be able buy a PS3 made entirely out of platnum and diamond engravings. And if I had a penny for every person who made a topic asking when PPGD would update, I'd be able to play it on a solid gold yacht.
Endling wrote:I'm the best at being modest. Ever.

Postby spazmonkey » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:38 pm

Geno wrote:
Endling wrote:

I don't think it was so much that the flashback took too long, but the fact that Bleed tends to update more sporatically than most in the first place, and people were probably just afraid that, counting weeks without updates, it would take four months before the story went anywhere.
...that, and the fact that the flashback sucks ass.

Added after 1 minutes:

Bleedman isn't great with story telling, just drawing

Postby Geno » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:19 pm

Please God, let's not make this thread about Bleedman. Even though I could debate you on that subject further, I think we should just quit talking about it while we're ahead, cause this isn't really the topic (or proper forum, for that matter) to talk about that particular subject.

Postby spazmonkey » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:25 pm

Your the one who went in depth on Bleedman, not me.

Postby Geno » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:57 pm

I was just relating it to the current situation Endling was talking about, but for bringing up the situation I will admit fault.

I was mainly just saying that to hopefully differ other people from escalating what you said into a issue that has either fanboys disagreeing with you or people flaming the fanboys who might disagree with you, turning this topic into something totally different than what it is now. It's happened before. It's basically like going on any gaming board and just randomly making a random statement saying that Halo was a shitty game (just an example, does not reflect my personal opinion). I'd basically be like drawing the fandom Eye of Sauron on that topic, and that's just something I wanted to avoid, cause I think this topics a pretty cool "ask Endling" thing, and I don't want to see it turned into just another Bleedman critique thing. It's nothing against you personally. I probably shouldn't even have brought it up in the first place.

Postby Mr. Mono » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:00 pm

Say endling, ever thought of making an anatomy tutorial?
Ive always been curious how you managed to obtain that anatomy in your characters (besides years of practce of course). What were your main influences in that area?

Postby Endling » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:31 pm

Mr. Mono wrote:Say endling, ever thought of making an anatomy tutorial?
Ive always been curious how you managed to obtain that anatomy in your characters (besides years of practce of course). What were your main influences in that area?

Lordy. Well there's a surprise. I'm not at all happy with how I draw anatomically yet. Color and anatomy are some of my weaker points, at least in my own mind. I don't think I'd feel right doing a tutorial about it. But I'd be more than happy to list the references I use to study from.

..well actually only one comes to mind, Dr. Paul Richer's 'Artistic Anatomy'. It was the handbook we used in my college Figure Drawing course. Of course you need a serious dedication in order to make any use out of it. I found out the hard way just staring at skeletal and muscular charts won't improve your art any.

The most I got out of that class came from drawing the models we had, day in and day out. Six hour classes of drawing nothing but nekkid people! And what did I produce? Not a single sheet of paper I was really keen on showing off. But in the long run, you eventually look back at your older work and notice the improvements were gradual, but very much noticeable now.

Also, Burne Hogarth's books (Dynamic Anatomy series) are worth picking up.

My longterm goal is reaching that wonderful, lofty, neigh on impossible state of artistic integrity that allows you to take shortcuts and unorthodox stylings in your anatomy and structuring and still make it look beautiful. (Like the esteemed art of gods like Yoshitaka Amano, Hiroaki Samura, etc)

Postby Geno » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:45 pm

Endling wrote:My inspiration comes from loving to create characters/worlds that others want to know more about. It inspired me when I was little, to see animated movies and television shows; reading a very good book was the most inspiring thing in the world. The kind of book that made you feel ever so slightly depressed when you finished it, because you had to 'leave' the world you'd been invited into since page one.

Are there any specific works that have influenced the writing in EverAfter more than others (excluding, of course, the fairy tales it is based on)? I think you mentioned the Discworld novels did before, but I'm not completely sure on that.

Postby Endling » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:22 pm

Geno wrote:Are there any specific works that have influenced the writing in EverAfter more than others (excluding, of course, the fairy tales it is based on)? I think you mentioned the Discworld novels did before, but I'm not completely sure on that.

My primary source of influence in terms of writing would definitely be Terry Pratchett. I've read most every Discworld novel published up till Postal, and I think I may read them all again in the next few months to keep the fuel going. I love that someone can inject humor into every other line and never have it get tedious, repetitive, or uninteresting. And you still feel very strongly for everything that happens to the characters, despite the lightheartedness.
I know I have other influences but I'm hard pressed to think of who they are. I read an awful lot growing up but never paid much attention to who made what. I just read what I had available, haha. LOT of fantasy work though, whole lot of fantasy..

Postby Aneri » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:34 pm

Which Discworld book is your favourite (I've read most of them as well, the man's a genious!) Also, have you read "Good Omens"?

...And now I'll just bombard you with questions...

What about science-fiction? Because you obviously like Firefly, and have you read the Hitchhiker five-part Trilogy? Douglass Adams was a genious, very much like Terry Pratchett.

Oh, and have you read "The Moon and Sixpence"? Not really a funny book, it's about Gauguin and his quest to find himself...your DA journal just made me think of it. Looking back on it (I hated reading it in ninth grade...), the ideas and the meaning it had are amazing.
"I'm all out. What do ya got?" "A utility belt full of crap and a positive outlook?"

Postby Dusk_Imp » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:41 pm

Are there any characters in EA that you either based off yourself or people you know?
By reading this you promise your soul and first child to me. All babies not ripe and plump are subjected to burnation under the trogdor act of 2003.
The problem is that God gave man a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time.

"PPGD Fan"-And Dusk_imp, you too are a riot lol
"Blood Knight"-Dusk_Imp, thanks for making this thread, it's so fun.
:up: :up: :down: :down: :left: :right: :left: :right: B A Select Start

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:41 pm

Endling wrote:
Mr. Mono wrote:Say endling, ever thought of making an anatomy tutorial?

Lordy. Well there's a surprise. I'm not at all happy with how I draw anatomically yet. Color and anatomy are some of my weaker points, at least in my own mind.

No Offence Endling, but how can you say that?
The Colourings of your arts seem quite great, and the positionings of characters seem fine.

PreviousNext

Return to EverAfter