My(Sepher0's) own PPG... Character!! (updated 4-25-06) flash

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

My(Sepher0's) own PPG... Character!! (updated 4-25-06) flash

Postby Sepher0 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:54 am

Ok... so, I finally scanned it...

This is my idea for a PPG character, I am planning on using it to create my own little doujinshi offshoot of PPGD, hopefully with careful bleedman style emulation.

I understand that this does not match bleedmans style, and that is because I drew it without any references.... when I draw it with references, it should be much closer to his style....

-----

for those of you who cant see the image, the text is the following:
" Name: Blak
Special Rowdy Ruff Boy, Opposite of Bell
Color: Black with white highlights"

-----

This is my idea... so, I own "blak"... If bleedman wants to use him (which I doubt he will ) then just please give me credit.

---

BTW he is wearing a under shirt, so that’s not a mid drift.

---

also if you could comment my art style, or help me by giving me tips, it would be appreciated.
Last edited by Sepher0 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Drawn by OHNHAI (based on drawing by Erix), Colored by Sepher0

Who is Blak?

Find out more here:
http://www.snafu-comics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9680

Re: My own PPG... Character!!

Postby Aura » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:56 am

this iss not something i was expecting to see....is funny!!

hi there!!

Postby Rival » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:05 am

Topic Moved, and title changed, according to the forum rules.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Risen Hell Fire » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:11 am

Oddly enough your avatar reminds me of that kid from Full metal alchemist.
This is the internet, things are either the equivalent of the clouds parting and the right hand of god descending and handing you a wad of hundred dollar bills, or the worse than the holocaust, potato famine, 9/11, and the black death combined and merged with the ebola virus.

Location: Telling assholes what I have to say. Whether they want to hear it or not.

Re: My(Sepher0's) own PPG... Character!!

Postby Sepher0 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:57 am

/\ /\ I think it has to do with the smile, and the hair.. :p

here is a color version (just playing with photoshop a little bit):

Please comment

Who is Blak?

Find out more here:

Postby FlashlightClock » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:33 am

hawt, one of the feet looks a bit odd, ima perspective whore though ;D

Postby Sepher0 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:40 pm

/\ /\ Thanks... I got lazy on the feet, but I can see what you mean, the left foot should stick up more...

I will keep these things in mind while I am emulating bleedmans style.

---

does any one know how to draw with a less "scratchy" style?

Who is Blak?

Find out more here:

Postby Asis » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:17 pm

Nice! :D

Postby advent-retribution » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:10 pm

lol. indeed it looks like someone from full metal alchemist (i dont know the name cause i always get it mixed up...was it greed?)
its a nice sketch..few proportions (mainly feet) but its good to see other styles of art ^_^
ImageImageImage

Postby Sepher0 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:23 am

/\ /\ this is starting to spark my interest....

If any one can find any thing about the full metal character, please post it.
In the mean time, I will go search for it...

Thanks for the comments...

I think I am going to start the first page of the PPGDD, today.

Who is Blak?

Find out more here:

Postby joey » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:28 am

He sort of reminds me of Edward Elric of FMA. : )

(Did i spell Edward's name right?)
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.

Postby Sepher0 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:46 am

Okay.. so i asked a person who is obsesed with FMA, and was told, he looks like "wrath" ... but I cant find any good screenshots of this character :p

Who is Blak?

Find out more here:

Postby OHNHAI » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:52 am

Sepher0 wrote:Okay.. so i asked a person who is obsesed with FMA, and was told, he looks like "wrath" ... but I cant find any good screenshots of this character :p

Google image search is your friend

Postby joey » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:54 am

This is wrath.

Your friend is right ^^ He does look more like wrath than edward. I just thought of edward because of the expression on his face.
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.

Postby Sepher0 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:59 am

Thanks... found more pics here too.....

http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/foru ... si&img=860

I really like this character :p

Added after 1 minutes:

OHNHAI wrote:
Sepher0 wrote:Okay.. so i asked a person who is obsesed with FMA, and was told, he looks like "wrath" ... but I cant find any good screenshots of this character :p

Google image search is your friend

This doesnt work on my school network :p

Who is Blak?

Find out more here:

Postby OHNHAI » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:01 am

OK. I’m gonna post some feed back on this image. Please bear in mind this IS constructive criticism and I’m not picking holes for the sake of it (that and you asked me to comment :P )

Firstly the PPG Style version.,,

I can say this with some authority (as I have had my own attempts at PPG style character repeatedly bounced by Cartoon Network themselves) that your PPG Style version is totally off model. The head is a ball not a ellipse (52 degree ellipse to be precise), the eyes are not big enough and don’t sit in the right position. The body is too big ( by some way) and the legs shouldn’t meet in the middle. The arms are like sussages where that should be more knife like (straight on the inside and curved on the outside) The hair is harder co comment on but would probably be rejected because the fringe breaks the line of the head. The hair at the back would probably have to hang vertically. This version is closer to South Park than it is PPG.

Probably seems a tad harsh but that would be the feedback you would get from CN themselves. And I have been in the end of similar lists myself; so don’t feel too hard done by. :D

As to the Bleedman Style variant. It is again way off model.

To be honest the best thing you can do to improve your art is to spend several months copping images from artists you admire the style of. I don’t mean trace. But copy by hand (use grids to help you to start with). It’s not cheating to copy someone’s art. It’s only cheating if you try and pass it off as your own original work. It is a valuable tool as you are learning how to make the right shapes, simply by trying to reproduce them 100% . The more you do this the more your arm and hand will remember how to make those shapes (muscle memory) and you will get better..

Also observe everything around you keep a sketchbook and draw all that you see. There is NO quick fix. There is NO simple method to getting good other than looking observing reproducing and repetition. Reference is key an practice can never be understated. If you want to get good then it is gonna take hours and hours and hours of practice and observation…

Probably not what you wanted to hear but it IS gonna help you in the long run

You have permission to re-produce and of my images should you wish. I would be interested in seeing how close you can get (remember no tracing….)

Postby Erix » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:52 am

sadly onhai's right. When I first started drawing, I thought I'd be good by now.
bout 5 to 8 years I started (I'm not sure I count the first 3 doodle years).

And I also agree with the copying the artis comment. I started with DBZ which gave me a great understanding of body compisition and perportions.

keep it up, and draw till your fingers bleed!

Postby Sepher0 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:40 pm

I agree with both of you...
I understand how much work it is going to take to get good :p ... I feel i am already on the track, but I wish I could travel at a speed faster then whats posible for me :p

I did that image without reference.. so I consider the offness from not remembering the way it is exactly :p

I did a new drawing, with reference.. which I will be posting, when I get a chance.

If you could, I would like a deep look on it to!

Also I might do a re-do of one of you art works, just so you can see how well I can contoure draw.

And thanks guys....
Last edited by Sepher0 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Who is Blak?

Find out more here:

Postby Erix » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:43 pm

I'll give you the most honest review I can. But I'm sort of a softy, I feel like its not bad if I can tell what it is.
This isnt because I dont want to hurt feelings, I just try my best to keep artists who passed that stage going on strong. I have compassion for the struggle.

Postby Darkman1 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:22 pm

This has all been sooooo very emotional (booo hooo hoooooo! :'( ) I can all but concur with you're speech Mr. Ohnhai, but honestly you put me to sleep..... :zzz: in the process. If you have the the man trying so hard simply to emulate a style, then what's the point? He should pace himself, and even though it may not be accurate at first, see it for what it's worth and keep on moving. (If you put your work down too much, you'll find that it ain't much fun anymore... ^_^ )
(This sig has been removed for a greater purpose)

Postby OHNHAI » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:47 pm

Darkman1 wrote:This has all been sooooo very emotional (booo hooo hoooooo! :'( ) I can all but concur with you're speech Mr. Ohnhai, but honestly you put me to sleep..... :zzz: in the process. If you have the the man trying so hard simply to emulate a style, then what's the point? He should pace himself, and even though it may not be accurate at first, see it for what it's worth and keep on moving. (If you put your work down too much, you'll find that it ain't much fun anymore... ^_^ )

I’m not trying to put his work down for the sake of it. I truly see scope for vast improvement in a short space of time so there is little point in my just saying “hey nice work”

Nor is is simply about emulating the style of one individual. It’s more about learning the forms and shapes of manga in general. And attempting to copy existing art of a level that is where you want to be is one of the quickest ways of getting there. His own style will emerge in time but he needs to learn the language of manga first. That and improve his anatomy. If he wants results quick then this will do that for him.

Sure, we should be moving forward continuously recognizing out current art is simply another step on the route to getting better and accept it for that. Sure, it should always be fun (as you said, otherwise what’s the point?) But are you saying that he wont get a kick out of seeing the improvement in his art through a concentrated burst of what seems like fairly pointless, repetitive imitation?

This is how I taught myself how to draw in the manga style and it quite quickly got me to the place where I could do this.

My FIRST attempt at Manga (1990)
AppleSeed(4 years after first attempting Manga)
Shinenkai(8 years after first attempting Manga)

I know this works, I got a kick out of seeing each jump in improvement, and to do so you actively have to teach your self how to draw in that style rather than doing what comes naturally and hoping you will end up the next Range Muratia or Shirow Masamune.

BTW I had a crack at PPGafying Blak 

Last edited by OHNHAI on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Erix » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:51 pm

QFT onhai.

oh, and after seeing ohnhai's little blak rendition, I threw my hand in.
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/1053/blak2su.jpg

tell me seph, if you like it, I'll color it up and such.

I just relized, you intended blak to be male. I had assumed it was a powerpuff girl :P.

umm.....assume my pic is just a really effiminate male :P

Postby Darkman1 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:30 pm

Don't get me wrong! I'm not saying that emulating other styles is just flat out useless. It's just that I wouldn't make it such a priority to emulate individual styles one after the other. I feel that beforehand you should establish a fair security with what you make of styles, your perceptions, etc. before you move on to emulating.

Basics to start, period.
(This sig has been removed for a greater purpose)

Postby Erix » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:34 pm

Darkman1 wrote:Don't get me wrong! I'm not saying that emulating other styles is just flat out useless. It's just that I wouldn't make it such a priority to emulate individual styles one after the other. I feel that beforehand you should establish a fair security with what you make of styles, your perceptions, etc. before you move on to emulating.

Basics to start, period.

Seph is pass basics. You can see he knows anatomy and has a grasp of perportion. I agree that refining with emulation would probably show a fast improvement.

Postby OHNHAI » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:49 pm

Darkman1 wrote:Basics to start, period.

True. but how well received do you think the answer to "How can I draw good?" would be if it was the following...

“Firstly to draw good forget about this ‘Manga’ non-sense and spend the next 10 years (I’m counting secondary education and a couple of years collage art) drawing/painting still life, anatomy, action, mood and colour. Under the watchful, gaze of a teacher who will guide and nurture your talent. Only then once you have learned to actually draw can you then learn to draw in other styles…..”

My guess is people would run screaming or give up altogether.. So I tend not to give that answer (too often). I get people to do the copy-thing as it will have immediate impact on their art skills and hopefully impart a few lessons in anatomy, form, line and colour along the way. Once they see a big, enough jump in their art you can nudge them into a direction where they will WANT to step away from Manga for a while to get to grips with actual nuts and bolts of drawing and understand the benefits for doing so…

Ie “ see how much better you have become from simply copying some one else? Now imagine what you could do if you could do if you learned the underlying principals on how to do this……”

See there is a method in my madness.

Next

Return to Art