Time to mix it up

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Time to mix it up

Postby ULTRADJ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:16 pm

Y'know, I never really thought about Chi as a character until I saw these huge debates about her. I mean, when I first saw her, I didn't think much of her except as just another character the story's introducing. But when you do really think about it, we really haven't seen her purpose yet to the story anyway. Maybe soon?
Just Rockin

Postby DarkKing » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:11 pm

The only problem I have with Chi is when she tries to talk big to the top people in the underworld even though she would probably get owned by Billy. Also I've been wondering could Aku make another evil clone of Jack like in the show if he wanted to? It's been a long time since I saw that episode so I can't remember how he did it.
"The ones who do what they want and
enjoy the most of their lives are the
ones who win in the end."

- Charlie Staz
Bow to Greatness

Postby Havoc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:32 am

Tenshi Nova wrote:Chi's character. I see nothing unique, yet. People have came and over analyzed Chi before, but they do so without over analyzing the other characters.

The reason we "over analyze" her,, is because she's taken up 80% of the comic since her introduction.

My argument towards Chi is that she's not only annoy as fuck, but so far her development has been piss poor. There were major changes to her life throughout the last chapter, but the way she reacted to them were sub-optimal. She just went from being powerless to having the ability to make clones of herself, but never once did she stop to appreciate it, nor did she even struggle with it. At the beginning of the story, she was completely powerless, then she managed to make a clone of herself and send it through the phone, no problem. She never even gave any thought or emotion to it, she just went straight back to being a surly bitch, and obsessing about Mimi. That's all she fucking does.

I agree that there's potential in her character, and there her character is still in the early stages of development, but it's gonna take a lot for me to actually stop hating her.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:39 am

The reason over analysis is necessary is because it's unfair.
You say Chi hasn't stopped to appreciate her powers, but when has any other character done the same?
Just like Junior, or Minnie, at birth, these powers are expected of them.(Speaking before the whole Pumpkinator event.)

When Blossom was spawned, when Aku was spawned, neither appreciated their powers, they just started to do whatever they wanted. Why should Chi be expected to care about her powers, if since the beginning of her life, it's expected for her to gain these powers, and understand them to the degree of her predecessors?

They live in the Underworld, there's no instance where Chi shown to be hanging around other children who are powerless. Aku, Demo, Him and Mimi, these are the people that we know have been present in Chi's life, and all of them have ridiculous amounts of power. How can Chi even begin to imagine what it's like?

Chi was probably the weakest person she knew. It would make more sense for her to think 'about damn time'. That's her character, I don't like it, but that's who she is.

tl;dr?
Why should Chi be the only one expected to appreciate her powers?
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mimi_Fan_Girl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:04 am

Chi is a cute character but I find her a bit annoying. But she may warm to me if she stop being a spoil, rotten, prissy little brat. And maybe she'll be likable.

Postby tonightscake » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:36 am

I'm doubtful, at least in the span of the comic, that she'll stop being a brat. She might have a moment of sacrifice or kindness somewhere later but after that she'll go right back to how she is. I personally don't care much for her, but I'm sure she'll play an integral part in the comic so we might as well suck it up and see where it's going.
Why not?
Lovely Antics

Postby silvercover » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:17 am

Tenshi Nova wrote:The reason over analysis is necessary is because it's unfair.
You say Chi hasn't stopped to appreciate her powers, but when has any other character done the same?
Just like Junior, or Minnie, at birth, these powers are expected of them.(Speaking before the whole Pumpkinator event.)

When Blossom was spawned, when Aku was spawned, neither appreciated their powers, they just started to do whatever they wanted. Why should Chi be expected to care about her powers, if since the beginning of her life, it's expected for her to gain these powers, and understand them to the degree of her predecessors?

They live in the Underworld, there's no instance where Chi shown to be hanging around other children who are powerless. Aku, Demo, Him and Mimi, these are the people that we know have been present in Chi's life, and all of them have ridiculous amounts of power. How can Chi even begin to imagine what it's like?

Chi was probably the weakest person she knew. It would make more sense for her to think 'about damn time'. That's her character, I don't like it, but that's who she is.

tl;dr?

this.

seriously, where did all these topic about "appreciating powers" come from? currently the only one we have so far who fits that one would be junior and mimi... and junior hasnt exactly been doing that(being buddies with it doesnt count as appreciating it) while minnie is, well, feeling it but for the opposite reasons. well mimi may also be heading there, but for now she's got bigger problems to think about.

im just gonna chalk it up again as being pulled up by the people who blindly hate and are just trying to create as much negative view as they can.

chi has as much negative stuff on her as other characters already have as I explained long ago, just compare her to junior way back. though people probably just didnt notice junior as much due to the comic showcasing tons of other stuff like grim and mandy's history.
I imagine that if that wasnt inserted in between the flashback, that several people probably would have started dropping the comic with how "horrible and terrible" junior's character back then, the flashback as well as other characters(dark danny being involved, grim and nergal talking, the general fight with the nergal reaper hybrid) though helped lessened the impact and distracted the readers.

like tenshi has said, the thing that really annoys people is that chi is appearing too much while the others arent given as much cool stuff to do. also, even if chi was developed much faster to become more "pleasant" as some people are saying, they'd probably still find her annoying and come up with other reasons, and the most likely reason to be "she's changed character too fast, she's like a mary sue." :roll:
her character development is at an acceptable pace, not too fast nor too long. this is actually one of the more well done character development(as most other authors ive seen go too fast), she's really just taking up so much space that she's just "overshadowing" the others a bit.

even if she's going to eventually be a protagonist(which I think is nek, and perhaps bleedman's, plan), they need to tone her appearances lest the fans get pissed off(which is happening already). it would have worked better had chi made an appearance/referenced much more earlier. as someone mentioned long ago, chi just suddenly showed up out of nowhere(probably true though). this is another problem I think, people are feeling like chi is taking over when she's probably just gonna be another protagonist, or be part of the main cast. either way this requires an existing base, which chi unfortunately has none.
they ought to have slowly made her more prominent, by that I mean give her some appearance here and there before moving her into focus.

anyway for reference, this is what I think is happening to chi around this forum(not this extreme yet but this is the closest I can find to illustrate my points) : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... DeathEater

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:45 am

She has been focused on too long though.
Her character as if this moment is simple.
She's had 10+ pages, I think closer to 20.
Her character could've easily been done in 7, this is including the tantrums, Him and Blossom moments.

It can be argued that it'd be too quick to cluster it in 5-7 pages.
To them, a simple solution, that the comic already used.
Just as GT jumped to Aku, Him and the Grims, they can easily do so with Chi.
The extra 10+ pages that were 'wasted' in Chi, could've easily been used to further BOTH Chi and the story.
Dialogue with Him, references to Mimi, references to Chi's past, references to Aku's past, the list goes on, but my point is made.

Chi's character will, more than likely, not be accepted in the future. Most spoiled princess remain greatly disliked after their epiphany moment.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Darkingdomhearts » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:Himedere!
Perfect fit. Spoiled. Greedy. Can't handle being told no. Omnicompetent. Wealthy.
Eventually going to gain her epiphany event.

I don't think she is Himedere. She is a spoiled and greedy princess. But she doesn't let her lover treat her like a princess. Mimi can do whatever she wants to her and Chi would only love that. That's why I don't find her a Himedere.
CHECK OUT THE SNAFU COMICS WIKI

Postby GTFDB » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:51 pm

Looks like we finally know how Chi fell in love with Mimi

Postby Megadon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Actually, and this just me, I think Chi fell in love with Mimi because she kept pouncing on her like a cat in heat. And I think Mimi does that because some part of Chi reminds her of her mom Blossom. As for right now, some cats are very protective of their "friends/families/comrades," whichever word you want to use. So I chop it to animal instinct and mixed signals.
The Madness has gone quiet for now. But it's always there and will return.
I'm cured, mostly.
Seeker of truth. Truth of Light and Darkness.

Postby Drago2552 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:04 pm

Prepare to get raped

Postby Exodis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Drago2552 wrote:Prepare to get raped

Great post, man. Really.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

I will persevere, I will resist to hear, I will interfere.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Universal Swordsman

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:20 pm

Darkingdomhearts wrote:
Tenshi Nova wrote:Himedere!
Perfect fit. Spoiled. Greedy. Can't handle being told no. Omnicompetent. Wealthy.
Eventually going to gain her epiphany event.

I don't think she is Himedere. She is a spoiled and greedy princess. But she doesn't let her lover treat her like a princess. Mimi can do whatever she wants to her and Chi would only love that. That's why I don't find her a Himedere.

That's an assumption though. Plus, some himederes enjoy the attention and fawning.
I'll use Ai Kora as an example, Ayame is a himedere, and she craves for Hachibe's love, including physical.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Biocolor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:57 pm

I must agree with every one elses theory and say Mimi will grab Chi and run but I think it should be a character from soul calibur I mean Bleed has already mentioned nightmare already so it makes sense. I volunteer Cervantes or Voldo

Postby Krest » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:05 pm

Randori, sometimes I can't tell if you're serious or sarcastic. That might be a good thing. 0.0

Oh, and I vote for Cervantes. We need a pirate in this series. Like, badly.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Exodis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:14 pm

Krest wrote:Randori, sometimes I can't tell if you're serious or sarcastic. That might be a good thing. 0.0

Here, this'll help:
Randori wrote:Trust me, I have difficulty trying to understand sarcasm at times.
But, as a wise man once said,
wise man wrote:Read the sentence in the voice of Dr. House and you'll know if it's sarcasm.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

I will persevere, I will resist to hear, I will interfere.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Universal Swordsman

Postby Krest » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:31 pm

LOL

That's awesome!

This is another:

wise man wrote:Read the sentence in the voice of Dr. Cox and you'll know if it's not only sarcasm, but if it also ate your soul.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Biocolor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:39 pm

Krest wrote:Randori, sometimes I can't tell if you're serious or sarcastic. That might be a good thing. 0.0

Oh, and I vote for Cervantes. We need a pirate in this series. Like, badly.
thank you for agreeing

Postby konata50 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Mimi is at this point Inexperienced maybe so skulker might win since He must have had much training fighting Danny
doesn't he have much Anti Ghost and Demon tech to like a Mercenary Ghost Batman
Mimi Cannot be TO overpowered..
"even though I think cuteness and Loli's are invincible" so escaping is also saving her heroically..... I have been reading this along time now Happy I be
The Kona-Squad's sign of approval..

Postby Megadon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:47 pm

I'm done discussing the fight, I'm just going to wait and see. There's just 1 last thing I have to say on the fight subject: This is going to be a short fight.
The Madness has gone quiet for now. But it's always there and will return.
I'm cured, mostly.
Seeker of truth. Truth of Light and Darkness.

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:18 pm

If Mimi wins, yeah. It'll be a short fight.

But if Skulker wins like everyone wants to, and a third party does not get involved, this is going to be a damn long side story.

Postby shadownerd221 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:42 pm

Looks like I missed the page. Well now we are going to have Mimi fight Skulker.

Postby Havoc » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:36 am

Tenshi Nova wrote:The reason over analysis is necessary is because it's unfair.

tl;dr?

Okay, you have a point, but it still doesn't make it any less underwhelming. I'm not expecting her to throw a fucking party over it or anything; just a little sign of joy. She managed to go from powerless to being able to send clones through the phone without any sorta struggle, or without hardly giving it any thought. At least Junior had to get the hang of his powers, his inability to control them almost got everyone killed. He had to work to get full control of his powers, he's even gloated about having them. That shows personality and flaws within his character and development; that's interesting.

Like you said: Chi has had nearly 20 pages, and she's hardly deviated from this unlikable, repetitive tone.

EDIT: Yes, I'll admit that her taking up 80% of the spotlight while there far more interesting things that we could be covering, does factor into why I hate her.

Guardian wrote:If Mimi wins, yeah. It'll be a short fight.

But if Skulker wins like everyone wants to, and a third party does not get involved, this is going to be a damn long side story.

Sounds like a lose-lose situation. There must be a sort of mid-ground in there somewhere.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Cerulean » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:58 am

Before I get too into this, please note that I am not saying you don't have a right to dislike Chi (I personally am not too fond of her either), it's just that your figure got me thinking and I started to dig a little bit deeper.

Chapter 8 had 38 pages, of which Chi was in 23 (meaning she took up about 61% of this chapter's focus). Now, as for her appearance compared to the rest of the comic, she's been in a total of 26 pages so far. There are exactly 280 pages of Grim Tales. Which means that in the bigger picture, she has only really occupied 8% of the story's focus (and been focused on since 4/1/2013 (yikes nearly going on a year)). In any case, here are some things I jotted down:

For Chapter 9:
Chi has had 3 pages (1.1% of the story's focus).

For Chapter 8 (13.6% of the story's focus):
Chi received 23 pages
Grim Family/Aku&Him Received 15 pages

GTFO received 35 pages (which means that it took up 12.5% of the story's focus). And that lasted from 7/6/12-3/24/13.

WHAM received 66 pages (which means that it took up 23.6% of the story's focus). And this lasted from 2/22/11-6/30/12.

Then the main section of the story received 138 pages (which means that it took up 49.3% of the story's focus).

Thought that it was interesting enough to share (at least interesting to me anyway). and I realize that this adds up to 100.1%, too tired to fix this right now
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Updates and News!