Stuff drawn by a Mutt (Update: Alien Salamander)

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Stuff drawn by a Mutt

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:46 pm

Dear lord your pony fan art is amazing, like look at how you got the feathers and eyes, just amazing. You really are improving now and it's just hotfired, wish I could improve that fast. One thing I'd recommend though is being more precise at times as that fence looks so wonky. Besides that not much else I can tell really but good job and I really like this piece.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks a lot for those very supportive words, TOF.
Bark

Postby Sigment » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:12 pm

Looks fantastic, Mutt. You're constantly improving, and I look very much forward to seeing more from you.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:22 pm

Thanks a lot, Sigment.
Bark

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:22 am

The Old Man, The Monster, and a Penguin
--
--
This started off as me just trying out a slightly different style/way of drawing stuff and it became this.

I was actually going to draw Blossom (the way I usually draw her) but she came out looking a bit too old for some reason (Marcy is wearing the same choker thingy I usually draw teen Blossom with) and I was looking at the picture and I realized that I had drawn Marceline from Adventure Time by accident. I added the Ice King (Simon), Gunter and that little photo of kid Marcy.

Its still mostly a practice drawing where I try out some new stuff, not just in terms of style, but I also tried out some different techniques.
Well, what do you think, comment bellow and let me know.
Bark

Re: Stuff drawn by a Mutt (Update: AT Fanart)

Postby ari-6 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:17 pm

I have to say, I really like your take on Marceline and the ice king, But most of all, Gunther looks incredible! So I look at your Marceline as being older than the flash backs but younger than 18 when she becomes immortal, am I right? I mean the show is pretty vague about how long they were together for but I doubt they separated when she was 8 so I look at your Marceline as being about 13 or 14? Also I feel like you have really improved at drawing faces.
I am the MISSINGNO
Current world record holder for the longest case of the sniffles.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Sigment » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:15 pm

This looks fantastic, Mutt. Kinda one of the more depressing relationships in Adventure Time, but a good one.

I also agree with Ari that you're showing great improvements in your work with faces.

Keep it up, man. Looking forward to what you do next.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:47 am

Thanks a lot guys I'm always trying to improve. You pretty much summed up my thoughts of Marcy and Ice King right there Sigment.
And to answer your question Ari, Marcy is suppose to be the same age in the photo as the show, but I was trying somethings out here, so I may have not gotten the age down in terms of appearance.
Bark

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:05 am

A Cruel Thing 2
--
Some more weird, mutant alien stuff from me.
The concept is that that goo stuff is turning people into that thing in the center.
This has been sitting around on my computer for a while. I had almost forgotten about it. Its a bit of an older drawing by now, but I decided to upload it now.
--
Bark

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:07 am

Dark Times in Equestria
--
--
Damn this took a time!
That's actually what I thought about naming this thing, "Damn this took a long time!"
But I went with a more simple title like the one we have here.
I wanted this to be like some big poster or something like that of the characters doing things. This is meant to be a bit into the future so I could play around with the characters some, like Godzilla Spike over there. The demonic Sunset Shimmer came from me wandering what she would look like if she was in her pony form when that happened to her and she's squaring off with Twilight while Spike fights a hydra (yes I drew it to look more like Ghidorah on purpose). We got Rarity off to the side doing some magic stuff, Fluttershy being all one with nature (I was going to draw her as Flutterbat, but I went with this instead). We got Dash flying with a dagger in her mouth, AJ after some big fight and she looks like she's about to have another one. Pinkie Pie is floating with the balloons cause she can.
Sometimes my head canon goes to weird places...
I added little kid Twilight and Spike down there as just a little contrast to everything else, also it looks cute. We got silhouettes of Discord, Luna Celestia, and Chrysalis off to the sides. That was the easiest part of this drawing, but I had fun making Luna's and Celestia's manes.
For some of these characters this is my first time drawing them, for others I've only drawn them a few times in the past. I've only drawn Discord one other time outside of this picture. (By which I mean pictures I've actually uploaded.)
Twilight and Spike are the ones I've drawn the most because I usually draw them together.

I tried to give each portrait equal space around the center drawing, so the characters would all have an equal share.

What do you think?
Comment below and let me know.
Bark

Re: Stuff drawn by a Mutt (Update: Dark Times in Equestria)

Postby ari-6 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:10 pm

Y'know I really do look forward to every time you update. This looks freaky awesome. How long must it have taken, I couldn't guess. I really like the idea to create a whole poster out of small glimpses of events that almost tell a story. The way you drew the princess' silhouettes looks especially effective (Note to self: steal that idea) Totally impressed, when you're not giving people nightmares, you're showing off your epic ideas.

Also, completely unrelated but, did you ever finish watching Madoka? I never got to ask you what you thought of it.
I am the MISSINGNO

Postby Cerulean » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:43 pm

I really like this, though I can't help but feel that the image of kid twilight holding kid spike would have had more of a punch if she were placed in the center ( a sweet moment occurring (or a sweet memory being recalled) in the midst of chaos). But then that would have required that that awesome spike/twilight/sunset fight be made smaller. So I'm conflicted, but it's not something so big that it takes away from my enjoyment of the picture. I have to say that I greatly enjoy these silhouettes as well. Good Job!

Also, didn't get to comment earlier, but I also really love your AT drawing too c:
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Cerulean wrote:I really like this, though I can't help but feel that the image of kid twilight holding kid spike would have had more of a punch if she were placed in the center ( a sweet moment occurring (or a sweet memory being recalled) in the midst of chaos). But then that would have required that that awesome spike/twilight/sunset fight be made smaller. So I'm conflicted, but it's not something so big that it takes away from my enjoyment of the picture. I have to say that I greatly enjoy these silhouettes as well. Good Job!
Also, didn't get to comment earlier, but I also really love your AT drawing too c:

Thanks for that Cerulean, and I do kind of agree with what you said about the one cute picture and it was something that crossed my mind while making this, but the reason why its there is the very reason you pondered. The center drawing was obviously the big one, the whole stinger, I had to make a choice on what to put in the middle and the more over the top picture won out for nothing more than the simple fact that it was the one with the most work put into it. Despite that the idea of this one gentle memory in the center of all this doom and gloom seem like a strong image as well, I kind of wish I could have found a way to fit them both in.
Despite that based off of a comment someone made on my DA post of this, it does carry some effect with its placement.
Anyways I'm glad you liked it and thanks a lot.

ari-6 wrote:Y'know I really do look forward to every time you update. This looks freaky awesome. How long must it have taken, I couldn't guess. I really like the idea to create a whole poster out of small glimpses of events that almost tell a story. The way you drew the princess' silhouettes looks especially effective (Note to self: steal that idea) Totally impressed, when you're not giving people nightmares, you're showing off your epic ideas.
Also, completely unrelated but, did you ever finish watching Madoka? I never got to ask you what you thought of it.

Thanks a lot Ari. And feel free to steal that idea, I'm glad someone is.
As for Madoka, I'm just about done with it and I've been meaning to finish those last few episodes, but so far I think its pretty good.
Its the first time in a long time I've even watched a Magical Girl style anime, little lone been able to sit through it without feeling like a creep. Its a genre that I don't really care for, but I think hate would be too strong a word for it.
The show actually cared about the characters and they weren't there just to look pretty and do stupid poses. They were treated not as girls, but as actual characters. I was kind of expecting the usual bullshit that people who usually watch stuff like that eat up by the handfuls, but it managed to be flashy yet modest and it felt like the people who made it weren't a bunch of creeps who drool over their own moe dolls.
So yeah, I thought it was surprisingly decent and interesting and the animation was nice. My favorite parts are when Madoka just sits down and talks with her mother about growing up. It was a nice scene and character moment. There were still some things about it that did come off as bit squecky, but nothing as bad as the usual crap that gets released.
The animation was nice, the characters were pretty interesting and weren't the usual anime girl stereotypes that have become so annoying. It was an okay little show and I actually do want to see how it ends.
Bark

Postby Ruxan Kikilin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:20 pm

Wow. That is a really impressive poster. I like how you organize each frame: the silhouettes in the corner, the conflicts on the sides, front and center, and finally a bit of happiness at the very beginning, and the very end. To the poster overall looks really balanced. Can tell you put a whole lot of thought into it.

So good job! Keep it up. Can't wait to see what else you have hidden in your sleeves.
dA
o -o

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.
I'm glad you liked it and coming from someone with talent like yours I'm grateful.
Bark

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:00 am

Stay Away From Glass
--
Another weird image from my head.
--
Bark

Re: Stuff drawn by a Mutt (Update: Stay Away From Glass)

Postby Sigment » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:15 pm

Pretty sure "weird" is an understatement when it comes to the stuff you come up with.

Of course, I mean that in the nicest way possible. :mrgreen: Good job, Mutt.

The Resident Smartass

Postby YesterdaysLingo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:27 pm

I wonder if around the bottom it says break glass in case of emergency... Or fire, but I doubt throwing him/her into the fire would help or him/her throwing everyone else into the fire for that matter.

Keep up the good work Mutt! :D
Flerp flerps

Location: That one place where those people live. You know the one.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks a lot guys.
Glad to know there are people out there who like my original works.
And in case you're still wondering Lingo, that is a she.
Bark

Postby Grieffon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:28 pm

I've been meaning to ask... what do you use to make art? Do you use graphic tablet, and what software?

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:10 pm

I use a Bamboo tablet and Autodesk SketchBook Express.
Bark

Postby Grieffon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:28 am

I suggest getting something else, like SAI. Sketchbook is not exactly a program built for painting, it is what it's called: a sketchbook. It's best for sketching and lineart, but even for those SAI may be better. You can just look for a free, full version of SAI, because screw them for charging money on a product they haven't updated for 5 years.

I'll be blunt, you should practice your brush strokes to be more confident. When the line is not smooth, it can really stand out, such as Sunset Shimmer's wings in the above picture. These videos may help (other videos on that site is also really good, and it has a lot of videos). Of course, painting like that, the accuracy will drop, but it will improve gradually. My precision in using a stylus (or any kind of drawing tool for that matter, even pencils) is still awful, but it's getting somewhere.

Also, look a bit into anatomy.

And yes, I know I don't sound one bit encouraging. Just not my thing.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:22 am

You can be blunt if you want to, it just shows that you care and thanks for the videos.

As for downloading something like that, one of my main concerns is that I'm very paranoid that I'll have to deal with some ass-hole's virus.
Bark

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:32 pm

Got some more pony art by me to post. Only this one unlike my last one will most likely never end up on EQD.
But first I'd like to say a quick, "Thank you" to Grieffon once again for linking me to those video and convincing me to get paint too sai (which I bought mostly out of paranoia).
I used some of the techniques from those videos for this drawing and I drew it with sai. Since this one had quite a few first in this one its not the best drawing it could of been, but I hope to improve on the things imparted to me.
Also, BeeAre recommended that I try out some different facial expressions and all of this stuff kind of combined in some weird way and this drawing popped into my head.

Becoming an Alicorn Really Hurts
--
--

For some reason in my head this was how I always pictured Twilight turning into an alicorn. Like the whole time off screen this shit was going down and afterwards Celestia just helped her clean up.
I know that this is obviously how it didn't happen, but way before the episode aired this was how I pictured the whole thing going down. Imagine the shit that would go down if that actually did happen.
Another reason why I did this was because I haven't seen anyone draw something like this yet... not that I've looked now that I think about it so for all I know this concept could be all over the place.

So... question, would any of you go through extreme pain to gain ULTIMATE POWER!?
Yes or no.

I actually feel kind of bad for drawing this, I feel so sorry for Twilight, I just have to keep reminding myself that in the very next scene she's gonna be inexplicably A-O.K.

Healing magic must rock.
Bark

Re: Stuff drawn by a Mutt (Update: That must really hurt...)

Postby ari-6 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:24 pm

Now that is something I would never have thought of. And once I am done here I am going to try my best to stop thinking of it. I always saw it like one of those common scenes where a character raises up from the ground in a radiation light and becomes some kind of ascended being that usually has wings. If you have ever played the Jak games then that is what I am talking about. Congrats on coming up with an idea I don't think I have ever seen done before..... even if it is freaking disturbing.*shivers
I am the MISSINGNO

PreviousNext

Return to Art