Official Snafu Colorist WANTED!

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Official Snafu Colorist WANTED!

Postby Stan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:52 am

Well You guys are going to be in for a treat. You'll see in the coming weeks!
In my hand the creators sword that causes eternal sleep, honour our pact and here my command... "ANIMATE this Comic"

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:36 am

We got any action going on in here yet with colorists lining up?

I see Millo, Ari-6, Vegedus as a part-timer, and Ethereal Blaze after Art College, showed some interest in this, yet have not done the page on the front page. I believe Stan had a page in the first post that he would like to see colored so he can judge himself on who would be a good selection for it. I should would have thought that some of the crazy talented members in the Art Section would have given this a try-out too.

Stan, have you asked on DA about this too?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Stan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:37 am

Yes Bloodlord. These Guys all wanted to try it out but none have gotten back to me. Also DA was the first place I checked. I emailed alot of the people that are coloring manga. One got back to me but told me they are busy with school.Talk about No time. Well Bleedman is helping out but that is just temporary...atleast until this chapter is done. I have the next comic rearing to go...I dont know if it should have a seperate slot but with close to 10 chapters complete I definitley want a colorist for that. I have gained so much experience over the past years that I am now an independant publisher. Time is the only thing I lack and for that I am looking for help.

Kayos Gaiden Is Coming soon and I know people are going to be impressed with the work alone. I also have an editor so the story is way better. Kayos Gaiden is a Prequel to Titan Sphere!
In my hand the creators sword that causes eternal sleep, honour our pact and here my command... "ANIMATE this Comic"

Postby Varspool » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:44 pm

If you still need help or something, I could try, seeing my time schedule is free most of the time.
Show me the color of your credits.

Postby ari-6 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:31 pm

How rude of me, I expressed an interest and then did not pursue any further and said nothing about it. I am truly sorry about that. It was just that I realised your own colouring was much better than mine at the moment and so my assistance would only cause the quality of your work to be lowered. Again I am so sorry for the inconvenience.
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Stan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:02 pm

Ari-6: it's okay...I am not looking for perfection or anything even if you are able to do flat colors it works out cause that takes up all of my time in coloring.

Postby Millo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:14 pm

I'm still workin on mine Stan, apologies for taking so long. I promise it'll be done by tomorrow.
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby ari-6 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:57 am

Excuse me for asking again Stan but, Is the base colouring all that you needed? No shades or effects? Isn't this the easiest part of colouring? Why would you need an assistant for only this if you don't mind my asking?

Postby Stan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 pm

@ ari-6: actually it isn't the easiest, it's tedious and time consuming. I can do effects and highlights quicker than flatting. As long as I have the Base to work with it becomes a breeze. It just having all the characters base colors on seperate layers with the right colors in places...Hair Skin, clothing. I can add highlights and shadows easy by using the Magic wand tool.to select the character and start working from there.

Postby ari-6 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:56 pm

I do not want to sound arrogant but have you thought about revising the way you apply base colours? What exactly is the method you use for applying base colour if it is alright my asking? I know it used to be very time consuming for myself but recently I have found a way to get it done relatively quickly. And perhaps someone who is even more experienced with photoshop than I will have developed an even faster way. Perhaps looking around on more professional art forums could provide useful advice. I could share the quicker method I have taken to using If perhaps it might help. My old way of colouring was ridiculously long. I used to outline every part that needed to be coloured with the brush tool then used fill and it took a very long time.

Postby Stan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:09 am

Please Share but that is the exact method I still use. I outline everything with the pen tool and the add the color. Now you understand why it's time consuming for me. lol! I'll look around though. THanks!

Postby ari-6 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:34 am

I had such a feeling. That was why I asked. I understand how it is as all my skills were self taught so I had no idea of a better way to do some things. I am fortunate that recently I have met people who I can ask about these things.

Yes, there are much faster ways to apply base colour. The method I am using now has it's flaws but is far faster than using the brush tool. This might be allot of words and I am reallysorry about that but I really think it will help.
Simply go to the line art layer and select the area you wish to colour with the magic wand tool, in this case let's say the face. Then you hold shift and continue to select any other exposed skin in the drawing.
Once all the parts you wish to colour with the skin tone are selected. Usually just filling in or using the magic wand tool will leave an annoying 1pixle think line around your colour. go to the tab on the top control bar marked "Select" and under that find the "Modify" option. "Then you must enlarge selection" by 1 or 2 pixels depending on the size, so the selection falls just under the line.
Next make a new layer just under the line art layer wich will become the colour layer.
Then right click the selected area with a lasso or magic wand and select "Fill". You will get an options box. You need to indicate that you wish to fill the space with colour and then un-tick the box that says "keep layer transparency". Then it will fill the selection with whichever colour you have as your primary.

The main flaw with this method is that sometimes there are small specks that remain uncoloured. To fix this I keep a bright green fillscreen layer at the very back so the green shows up clearly through any gaps in the colour.

I have heard people use a method of colouring that involves vector masks but I have only just begun to use vectors so I do not know about this so if anyone knows a better way then please correct me.

A few other tips to keep your production time down: Keep all the layers for separate panels separate in different folders marked "Panel 1", "Panel 2" etc. Don't mix the layers between panels because then things get confusing. I would also recommend making custom colour swatches for all your characters so that when you come to colour a character the colours are just waiting for you in a tab rather than having to upload an older drawing and get the colours from that. And also not really anything to do with colouring but once you figure out the vector pen tool, so many more options become available for line art. I guarantee that with all of this, applying base colour to a whole page will take no more than an hour per page. I am really sorry for the wall of text but I definitely think it will help. Or if it was to long and you did not want to read my long winded explanations then that is okay, I'm sorry about that.

Postby Stan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:46 pm

It's okay I read all of it. The Magic wand tool is a good idea, but i use that as well and only stopped because when I selected an area the lines (marching ants) would go out side the box then I would have to go on a search for where the area with the small gap is. I find that and connect the lines only to have the same thing happen again. I am a traditional artist and after I am finish with a piece of work I scan it in. This sometimes end in some small gaps in between lines when I am adjusting the levels to make the lines look cleaner. Also I have recentlly started to add a whole lot more detail to my work which lead to more tediousness. I will try what you said but I came to be a bit stubborn in my work flow due to working on a dinousaur version of photoshop. lol. But I am open to learning new tricks.

I am very busy with the new comic I am working on as well so finding a colorists was kind of more like a work load sharing so I can finally get where I need to be. A person willing to do effects as well would be great!

Postby ari-6 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:20 pm

Oh I see, I missed a step. Once you have used levels to adjust your lines, then you use the "Select" tab at the top and pick "Colour range". Then you go to "Sampled colours" and select "Highlights". Doing this will select all white space in the picture automatically without needing to use the magic wand. Just hit Delete and you will be left with a layer of nothing but the black lines and no white.

I know comic artists often have a colourist who is responsible for all the colouring. That is why it sounded so strange to me that you needed an assistant who only does the base coloures as that shouldn't be taking that long. So are you saying that the requirements for being your colourist have moved from just base coloures to colouring and shading + effects or were you just talking hypothetically? To be honest I am sure the people who have shown interest in being your colourist are more than skilled enough to take on the task of becoming a full colourist, but they may not have the time to spare, I do not know.

Postby Stan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:34 am

I am looking for either as I myself dont have the time to spare. If I can find someone that is good with doing shading then thats even better.

Postby ari-6 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:05 am

Then I really wouldn't be of any help afterall as I thought. But I am sure Millo or anyone will be able to give you a hand.

Postby Millo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:59 am

Stan I've been working in mine and its going well so far. I plan on posting both a flat and a shaded later tomorrow. although I'll be frank with you, its unlikely that I'll be able to replicate your shading technique so it's more that likely I'll either try my best to replicate it or try my hand at another style. just letting you know
Resident Illustrator

Postby Stan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:59 pm

It's cool. Let's see what ya got.

Postby Millo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:28 pm

So this is the Flat

I'm hopefully gonna be done with the shading by tomorrow.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Stan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 pm

how long did the flatting take?

Postby Millo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:02 pm

About 2 hours in total. I use PaintToolSAI and hand color it.
Resident Illustrator

Postby Stan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:49 pm

do you have a facebook. Add me Staniel Russell.

Postby Millo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Kay, added you~
Resident Illustrator

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:30 pm

And thus, a lasting and meaningful friendship was made over the internet.

Want me to keep this open a bit longer, Stan?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Stan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:46 am

you can close it now. I found 2 potential candidates. I will work with them.

PreviousNext

Return to Art