Regarding Ads and Mobile options.

Info on new stuff coming/being worked on for Snafu.
Also, post/Report bugs/problems you may find, here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Regarding Ads and Mobile options.

Postby Krest » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:40 am

I use Chrome and Firefox - but mostly Chrome. I would like to think everyone is smart enough to use Chrome and to trust Google to not give its tracked information to the NSA, since quite obviously Anonymous would have picked that info up by now. Thus, I would like to think that everyone is smart enough to know that all those extra little track-blockers are meaningless and useless, and honestly shouldn't be used worth crap.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case. People not only block ads themselves - they try to block sh*tloads of other stuff that interfere with the ability for ads to display properly. I mean damn. That's just retarded. I've been getting tons of Artix Entertainment ads on the majority of the sites I've gone to for five years - and y'know what? I actually fucking love their games - I've been playing their games for OVER five years, so I agree that trackers actually f*cking know what they're doing for the most part when they try to deliver ads that fit the viewer. The more people block trackers, the less of a chance they'll know what people fucking like, and thus the harder it will be for websites like Snafu to get money from clicked ads.

I don't have a problem with ads that a) have no sound and b) don't auto-repeat HD vids that take up my RAM. That is, for the most part...

My phone just can't take animated ads. I have an option on my phone to block animated ads - simply because of the RAM (and battery) that sh*t takes up.

My proposition for Thomas is to have a mobile version of the site where none of the ads are animated.

And my proposition for the other users of Snafu is to suck it up, accept trackers and ads, and fucking get Chrome, you whiny, unreasonable dipshits.

Now shut the hell up about the issue and let Thomas do his job. Damn.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Re: Regarding Ads and Mobile options.

Postby Tuor » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:43 am

There is a mobile version of the site, and it doesn't have any ads.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Krest » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:56 am

Tuor wrote:There is a mobile version of the site, and it doesn't have any ads.

I never get the m.snafu - but if that IS the case, for both main site and forums, then he simply should add non-animated ads to that site.

Postby Hiryu » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:37 am

No, fuck you. I'm keeping Firefox, never lets me down.
And there's a button at the bottom of the index to switch between mobile and full versions. Use that on your phone.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Krest » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:04 am

Santa Hiryu wrote:No, fuck you. I'm keeping Firefox, never lets me down.

I use both Firefox AND Chrome.

I find that Chrome is better.

Unless you're still using FF 3.6, in which case that's better than Chrome.

Also, you DO realize that Google has a huge partnership with Mozilla, right? It basically has its hand in everything you do, if you use FF.

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:09 am

Krest, its something everyone does, not just Google. They're just more open about it. The NSA can get into your life in more ways than this.

Postby Hiryu » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:12 am

Yeah, I know. Most money Firefox gets is from them because Google likes the competition. And I use the most recent version, I'm ok with it.
I also have no problem with Google getting my info. I have nothing to hide.
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Krest » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:13 am

Blood Lord wrote:Krest, its something everyone does, not just Google. They're just more open about it. The NSA can get into your life in more ways than this.

True, but Google is responsible for, I'd say, the majority of bots and trackers on the net.

Which is why I say ad trackers are mostly harmless, since I trust Google.

And Google is OP - so its decisions on ads are highly accurate.

Thus, the ads on this site aren't just annoying images - they also fit your interests.

Thus, you shouldn't block the ads.

--

Interesting...yet you like FF more? I wouldn't mind PMing about your pros and cons between the two.

Postby Hiryu » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:16 am

Never used Chrome, really. Been with Firefox since it's been around.
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:00 pm

I've heard icky things about Chrome, but that might just be Propaganda. :unsure:

I've been using Firefox for about 6 years now, I haven't looked back. Nor have I found a reason to ever "not" use Firefox.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Q.U. » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:17 pm

If you have any practical ideas about the ads, other than crying about it, you're welcome to post them in the Dev forum.

Instead of adding offsite adds, which you probably could, but (let's be honest) most likely won't moderate or control, why not advertise yourself more? I mean, you won't control what these ads will show, yes? So... depending on whether you allow animated ads or not, you could see some epilepsy-causing blinking, annoying animations, and site colour-theme crashing ads. I still think we should be advertising ourselves first and foremost, rather than renting ad space to others for pity money.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Krest » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:50 pm

^ I agree with the above.

We need to get people like SkullBoy to advertise us, what with him having his own YouTube channel and all...

Return to Dev forum