The Anime Thread.

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Anime Thread.

Postby ari-6 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:24 am

Say what you will. She is leagues ahead of Kyoko on the badass scale

Even though I think Homura was friends with every one at one point, I feel like after everything that happened, she started to resent them all. She even started to resent Modoka's tendency to nail herself to anything remotely resembling a cross, to the point where she needed to follow her around and make sure she didn't end up heroically sacrificing herself for the nearest stray cat to be hit by a car. I liked all the characters in this series (Except Kyosuke) but Homura is definitely my favourite.
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Hiroko » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:38 pm

I am personally just biased towards Madoka. She heavily reminds me of a character of mine--she's practically a female version of him, really--and I just have a massive soft spot for characters like her, who are so sweet and innocent and naive and have this idealized version of what the world is like and should be like, and who are truly strong in character even if they never seem to see it themselves. And I'm a little sick in that I like to watch said characters struggle with their hope and idealism when the world around them starts to contradict it.

Plus she's literally the embodiment of hope now and yeah.
The Sentimental One

Postby ari-6 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:58 pm

I like characters and stories like that too. I like even more when the naive optimistic character takes a level in badass. Do you know any other anime like that that I might like?

Postby top gear tony » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:06 pm

I don't mind innocence or naivety, but it's when it takes it too far or the character is bewilderingly stupid or doubtful even, after many revelations and epiphanies, the character still act like a high functioning autistic (or in-game video game character). It more of a way to squeeze more content out onto the page or screen, but the reluctance I see lead characters show in most anime is just tiring.

It seems all the personality and character go to the supporting cast, in favour of playing it safe and trying to identify with the audience. Things what would give me pause for thought really as I do not have a tendency to: 'forgive people who are after my life' or to somehow always: 'burst in on young girls whilst they are changing.'

Madoka falls flat to me because she is a typical main lead, a safe, nothing special, perfect character to be thrust into events beyond her control. The type who doesn't do anything to help (even when she insist on it) and shows so much hesitation.

I'm guessing in Madoka's case it may be some kind of satire or something giving the deceptive nature of the show but. There are a million other character like her in lead roles of other anime. Granted there are probably tones of character like the others in other anime, but they are always giving a supporting role. I'm still pretty sick of useless school boys hogging all the potential of other shows mostly, but reluctant airhead goodie, goodies aren't to far behind.

That's my rant for the night.

I have no idea how commas work

Yog: Praise the sun that is Top Gear Tony, a friend to all.
Do I have style points yet

Postby ari-6 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:26 pm

I prefer characters that I can relate to and even though those character who are naive and optimistic and quick to forgive people are often the main character so that the can take on the role of audience surrogate, I never relate to that type of character. But then you can't really make a character that everyone can relate to. Coming up with a genuinely likable character is probably as hard as coming up with a story.

Tony, I was just wondering but how come I never see you around anywhere but here, if you don't mind my asking?

Postby top gear tony » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:48 pm

I get that, I also get why it's always useless, carefree bags of retarded pies in the driver seat. But appealing to the audience is the lazy way out. Look at some of the most loved and famous main fictional characters in media: Solid/Naked Snake, Edward Elric, Dante (sort of), Nathan Drake and others. (My mind blanked the second I put myself on the spot.) . Can't say there are many like them that have their impact. Sure there are pretenders, but they mostly fall flat. It's good writing and careful planning that spawn some of the most loved character. Even if my example is very........ loose. Mostly it's bad writing and lazy commitment to how the character was first written.

The trope can be pulled off, don't think I completely dismiss it. Evangelion is a perfect example of good character writing that doesn't feel sloppy or rushed, I really feel sorry for Sinji at times. But with most others, I just want to slap some common sense into them before they blunder into another changing room or fall into evil hands and putting more pressure onto the super powered (in most cases female and unfortunate love interest) to save them. I just can't cheer for such a stupidly oblivious cretin. Sad thing is, it probably happens more than once.

But it's hard to miss the creepy self-insert feel a lot of them give off. I mean these meat bags we call protagonists are bloody babe magnets. I don't even want to get started on love triangles and how that one other girl (you know the character's CHILD HOOD FRIEND or ADOPTED SISTER. They just love to make that clear.) Somehow have even less personality than the main character.

I may be getting a little broad here, but I tend to just out and out avoid a lot of modern anime, not even giving them the chance of the first episode trail.

All you need is this. If the promo art shows nothing but girls or a girl and (in some cases) is named after one of them, then the description say's: "So and so is an awkward young boy" or stuff like that, you can pretty much give an accurate blind summery of it's entire 12 or so episode run.

I can go on about the other naive, generous kind, but I dislike them much less.

ari-6 wrote:Tony, I was just wondering but how come I never see you around anywhere but here, if you don't mind my asking?

I started here and just never really ventured out, I sometimes do, but I avoid the most crowded places. The Bleedman forum especially seems to spawn some really odd and obsessive people.
Last edited by top gear tony on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Hallow Nova » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:03 pm

I love you Tony.
Na, but seriously, this is fun to read.
I'm just way too fucking lazy to join <3
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:20 pm

top gear tony 666 wrote: or ADOPTED SISTER. They just love to make that clear.)
Because that makes it not creepy, right? ...........right?

I just found this and thought I would share it here. It gets funnier the lower down you go.

Postby top gear tony » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:22 am

Looks like the anime this week is Black Lagoon. By the description of the episodes it's Blood Trail again but the listing just says Black Lagoon. 4 eps.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:43 am

Blood trail is 5 eps. Either way I am going to record the heck out of it! I have so much to watch when I eventually return home.

Postby top gear tony » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:28 am

Well that's the weird thing. The run time says half an hour, but the ova stretches no more than that. Last time I watched it, it had the full title and all 5 eps as well as the correct running time. This time it just says: "Black Lagoon". But the Shows write up describes Blood Trails and even has the episode name in each one. Maybe it's a mistake and they'll fix it, or maybe it'll abruptly cut out near the end of each episode. I'll just have to wait and see, since the DVD isn't out over here till November and I missed the first ep the first time around.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:37 am

If the episodes do cut out abruptly, could you let me know if it would not be too much trouble? So that I can delete them from my hard drive to make room.

Postby top gear tony » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:50 pm

Yeah, sure thing.

Postby Millo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm really excited for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Season 2. I thought David Productions did a fantastic job on the first season.
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:04 am

Is that the season about Jojo's daughter or something?

@Tony: I have no info about Ladybug either other than there was an anime of it done by Toei, and it's going to be a 3D animated series done by some European studio. I saw some samples of it... Ladybug looks fantastic in 3D.

"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Millo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:26 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:Is that the season about Jojo's daughter or something?

It's Stardust Crusaders with Jorato the most popular Arc of the series.
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby ari-6 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:36 pm

I never knew this movie existed before now but now I know I must see it!

Postby top gear tony » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:11 pm

So wait. Is it a series or a movie. Is the series out yet?

Postby ari-6 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:27 pm

It is a 3d CGI french movie based on a series. The series itself may also be french. France loves their anime.

Postby top gear tony » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:13 pm

Aren't they jumping the gun a bit. I hear that the series isn't even out yet and they seem to be putting all their eggs into one baguette.

Postby Jasthn » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:20 pm

Those French, man. Actually this does pique my interest. I am quite curious to see what this series is like.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.
Doctress Who:You can be my Brony bitch ;D
Droctress Who:Jas, would you like me to make you a sandwich?
JesusChrist: Well if you insist Jasthn I'll use it with you. Spread them cheeks

Tragedy_and_Comedy: Jas is about as dangerous as a kitten.
Blood Lord:I hit your dog with mah truck. :3
Lenore Celestalis:*jumps on your back* weee~
That guy.

Postby ari-6 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:06 pm

France is kind of on my list of acceptable places to work, because they like anime so much. You guys don't think that will change in the next ten years do you? I hope not. I wish I had put more effort into learning the language during high school and not just memorised words and paragraphs to pass the exam.

Postby Jasthn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:03 am

Well personally I don't like the French very much to begin with, but that's not to say that if they start making anime or something that I wouldn't watch it. On the other hand, if the French change anime for the better, then they do. Nothing can stop that.

Now that I think about it, I guess people would be obsessing about baguette's instead of rice balls if/when French anime goes mainstream.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.

That guy.

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:10 am

Code Lyoko is French. :3
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Jasthn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:23 am

I can't lie, Code Lyoko was a very great show. It's one of my most favorite shows from when I was with a kid.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.

That guy.

PreviousNext

Return to EverAfter