Philosophy Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Philosophy Thread

Postby EagleMan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:45 pm

GrimlyLoveGunner wrote:Oh, philosophy thread. Hm. For me, there are so many different people in the world with so many different beliefs that it's just logically impossible for any one of them to be true. So, in reply, I'll just assume anything is possible. There's something special out there, but I don't feel the need for it to have a name. Just live life, love, make others happy. And all that fluffy kitten stuff.

Also, my Grandma fully believes God is an alien.

Philosophy isn't just religion. You can get to answers. At a minimum you can rule out plenty of answers. Many philosophical concepts also don't operate on the dichotomy of true or false.

And well, God would be an alien by definition, though I'm sure you meant it in a more literal way.

Every generation ever wrote:Oh god, fuck my generation.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:56 pm

noxux wrote:Damn I hate when people overreact about stuff like that, when someone says "I don't like beiber" and the fan says that is going to kill you or that you don't know about music, I just can't tolerate it. Luckly I don't know many people like this and with the gamers they act like little kids.

Gamers have been plenty well known to throw around death threats and the way female gamers catch abuse makes me call bullshit on that.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:00 pm

EagleMan wrote:

They've also said "these kids now are so entitled" and "I'm never turning into my parents".
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Exodis » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:29 pm

There's actually a funny quote my Econ teacher wrote on the board for the second half of the semester:
"The first half of our life is ruined by our parents and the second half by our children."

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Savior

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Fun, that means you've ruined your parents' last half with your first half, and you ruined your children's first half with your last half. Everyone's life is spent ruining another's while they return the favor. How touching <3
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:00 am

Whatis6times9 wrote:
EagleMan wrote:

They've also said [...] "I'm never turning into my parents".

Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby tonightscake » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Hey, just as an attempt to revive this thread, one "magical" concept is whether anything is real or if everything is just a creation of your own sub-conscious. Maybe your imagination is finding now an appropriate time for me to speak of this topic and all is just from "your" design. Another query(more sciency I suppose) is whether or not everything is as we see it or if everything is just an interpretation of what our mind sees it as, similar to how the question of whether everyone sees the same colors or not.
Why not?
Lovely Antics

Postby noxux » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:59 pm

I would say that don't revive old threads but I think no one has a problem reviving this thread.
(Or there is?)
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby tonightscake » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:43 pm

A new thread could always be made, but this one isn't too old so I just felt like bringing it back. Either way, philosophy is always a good conversation piece so why not keep it going?
Why not?
Lovely Antics

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:45 pm

*blordy shrugs.

Fine by me to bring it back. I don't think it was too far gone.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:03 pm

"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby noxux » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:57 pm

So now the only problem is what will the topic be?
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby tonightscake » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Not sure if it ponders too much into religion, but how did everything everywhere begin. Because there is no answer to any initial creation. With the big bang there was nothing then something, but how can nothing bring anything, especially considering the theory of the conservation of matter. More so, if saying there is a supreme being, how did it come into creation, or is it possible for something to simply be?
Why not?
Lovely Antics

Postby Tuor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:07 pm

I feel like that was covered in this thread before
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:08 pm

From my limited experience, this thread always seemed like a gentleman's 'debate' thread.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Hmm, that topic actually hasn't been covered
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby noxux » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:58 pm

We covered the "existance" or "creation" of God but I don't remember "where everything begins".
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby The Mad Doctor » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:47 am

The Big Bang happened.
Awaken child and embrace the glory of your jimmies. Know that we are the triune, the eternal will of rustling, and that you are created to serve us.
Shhh no tears only nightmares now

Postby Vegedus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:18 am

I honestly love this thread, but I keep forgetting about it, including the topics I've started myself.

As I understand it, and I might well be wrong, there wasn't "nothing" before the big bang. All the matter and energy of the universe wasn't "created" in it, it was just all compressed into a single point, a singularity of all creation. The big bang merely spread it around. Where that stuff then came from, well, fuck if I know. I think there is some scientific theories, about dark matter and what not, but I find it to be pretty much an impossible question. The creation of the universe can't really make sense; Either something was created from nothing, or our perception of is wrong and it just always was. It's mind boggling, really. I don't think it's a matter of asking what was there before the big bang, but why that question doesn't make sense, because I don't think it does.

tonightscake wrote:Hey, just as an attempt to revive this thread, one "magical" concept is whether anything is real or if everything is just a creation of your own sub-conscious. Maybe your imagination is finding now an appropriate time for me to speak of this topic and all is just from "your" design.

That's basically solipsism. It is a valid question, and an interesting philosophical quandrum, because it is fact that you can never "prove" beyond a doubt that anything is real, that your senses don't lie to you, but it's not a very useful stance to take in the search for truth. I have lots evidence, although incomplete that you are real, that I did not imagine this, and none to the contrary, so until that evidence manifest, I'll just assume reality is real.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby tonightscake » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:07 pm

What do you guys think of the trolley problem? Bing it up if you don't know about. I feel like I'd save the many with indirect murder, as bad as it sounds, as long as it saves the majority, but I wouldn't directly push a man to his death to save people.
Why not?
Lovely Antics

Postby noxux » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:42 pm

I have to ask you what is philosophy for you people here, so there could be a better perspective of what to talk about.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:45 pm

I like to think of it as the reasoning and comprehension of the mind with the world we live in. It's steps of logic we use to help understand and make sense of things.

Like the trolley problem that was brought up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0E69krO_Q

I consider more of a ethics question than a philosophical pondering, just my opinion though. The philosophical aspect of it might be "why" a person would choose to do something and then the value of that choice.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby tonightscake » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 am

Philosophy and ethics go hand in hand though. The only difference I really see is that philosophy is your study of the world around you and explaining it. Ethics is the study of yourself and explaining what you find to be right or devious. Ethics is personal while philosophy is universal, in a sense.
Why not?
Lovely Antics

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:15 pm

M'kay. I still consider them to be different, but whatever floats your boat man.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:00 pm

Your ethics are largely tied to your philosophical view. There's a reason why philosophy departments have courses on ethics ;)
Rest Easy Ethan

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion