The Anime Thread.

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Anime Thread.

Postby ari-6 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:55 am

What?! Someone else who has seen Madoka? And presumably enjoyed it? HUZZAH! I can never seem to convince people that it is worth watching past episode 2. It's like "Well after watching episode one I can safely say this is obviously girly shit and there is no reason for it to be a popular as it is and I will continue to criticise the show and everyone who watches it."
My Gallery http://ari-6.deviantart.com/gallery/ Check it out when you get the chance.
gott ist tot

Postby Tenshi Nova » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:57 am

One Piece. <3

I've yet to watch Madoka. It's around 7th on my To Watch list.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks

Postby True Order » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:10 am

True Order is an individual of patience and cleverness. I could sense that something was off in episode 1 of Madoka Magica and I was determined to figure out what the shit was going on. Homura had me strongly intrigued as well.

Plus if I was willing to watch the shittiness that is Popotan from start to finish then I was more than willing to try Madoka Magica which from the start beat Popotan in quality of writing and character depth.

To summarize: Fuck yeah I loved Madoka Magica! I even read a handful of the spinoffs and alternate versions of the story.    Puella Magi Madoka: A Different Story is a good read. And it does not have the brutal blood of the original manga.   
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby Cerulean » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Hmmm, think I know what I'm watching this weekend
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin

Postby top gear tony 666 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Just saw the Professor Layton film on TV, it was really good. Anyone else see it? (At all, not just on tv)
After mounths of rigorous trials and conducted research I have finally come to the conclusion that Modern Warfare 2 can go SUCK IT. (Note to self, change signature..... I probably could have changed it by now, but it's funny being all meta and self aware.)
Do I have style points yet

Postby ari-6 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:38 am

Sorry Tony, I did not bother to record that one. There is limited space on my box. And I would not be able to watch it until Christmas.
True Order wrote:True Order is an individual of patience and cleverness. I could sense that something was off in episode 1 of Madoka Magica and I was determined to figure out what the shit was going on. Homura had me strongly intrigued as well.

Plus if I was willing to watch the shittiness that is Popotan from start to finish then I was more than willing to try Madoka Magica which from the start beat Popotan in quality of writing and character depth.

To summarize: Fuck yeah I loved Madoka Magica! I even read a handful of the spinoffs and alternate versions of the story.    Puella Magi Madoka: A Different Story is a good read. And it does not have the brutal blood of the original manga.   
God bless you, kind sir. I have hardly met anyone who has scene it so I do not get to talk about it very often. I knew from the start that it was not just a typical Mahou Shoujo series, not with an opening sequence that awesome. I am really looking forward to the movie. I will marathon the series before I watch it. When you say "another story" are you talking about Innocent Malice? I am reading Oriko magica at the moment. It's really good which almost surprised me. Definitely worth reading. I would like to tell anyone thinking to start the series to watch the anime first and definitely do not read about it.
My Gallery http://ari-6.deviantart.com/gallery/ Check it out when you get the chance.
gott ist tot

Postby top gear tony 666 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:50 am

It caught me off guard. It's premise was so cliche. The new girls being introduced to the ways of being a magic girl. The kind mentoring veteran, the mysterious girl with an unknown agenda, possibly harboring some grudge. The cute and cuddly mascot

It all seemed like a set up we've see all seen before a Frankenstein mix of Precure, Nanoha and so on. Only with really good art direction and an excellent if out of place musical score. I remember the reviews at the time said it looked and sounded amazing, it's only let down was how utterly generic and bland it is. It had everyone shocked when it's showed it's colors with it's "too good to be true" message. Since everyone already wrote it off the shock of amplified.

I went into it not knowing, it was like 7 or so episodes in and I cought a review of the first ep and the praise of it's visuals. Having nothing better to do and thanking god during my viewing I wasn't consuming any hot beverage I was blindsided like everyone else. Now with it's mythos, lure and possible timeline spinoffs as well as the tantalizing chance of the continued timeline it was obvious how it become the new Evangelion with it's huge fanbase. It's decent into the dark area of the story is a little breakneck, but it's the problem more with working with 12 eps more than the writting. Kinda like how writhing a post this long on a phone makes me not care about checking my post.

And ofcourse Kyoko is best magic girl.
After mounths of rigorous trials and conducted research I have finally come to the conclusion that Modern Warfare 2 can go SUCK IT. (Note to self, change signature..... I probably could have changed it by now, but it's funny being all meta and self aware.)

Postby ari-6 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:42 am

Oh yes, I had forgotten about your Kyoko Wolverine avatar. I loved that avatar, why change it?
I completely agree with all that, except maybe about the soundtrack by Yuki Kajura. To me it was just perfect and I can not imagine it having a different one.
I also love how it is set up as a generic magical girl series before the WHAM. But at the same time it is also a weakness because people drop it after the first episode thinking that there is nothing to it. LIKE THESE ASSHOLES! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhO-IyXH ... Gi&index=8
My fist opinion of Homura is that she was the obligatory dark moody team mate but she was cool and I was sure once I found out why she was so dark, I would like her allot more. Episode 8 hit and I was like "..................... Well.... I wont be sleeping tonight". Then came episode 10. I did not see that coming.
Will you be watching Rebellion when it comes out?
gott ist tot

Postby top gear tony 666 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:06 am

I love the soundtrack, I mean it was very high quality for what we thought was essentially a normal magic girl anime at first. Usually they have jumpy jpop soundtracks and electro music. It seemed out of place for the time before the whole episode 3 stuff.

I like to support stuff so I'll wait till it's out on DVD or Blu-ray. I will watch it online if there's a good quality copy, I know Aniplex are pushing it in English as well as there are subbed american screenings planed and they have subbed DVD's ready for importing at stupid prices. Sadly I'm a bit to used to the English voice overs now I watched it a couple of times on DVD, I did watch it in Japanese originally and I can't recall what most of them sound like.

It's going to be good to see the continuation of the new world though. Let's hope it doesn't pull an Evangelion rebirth and forget what made the characters so endearing in the first place, or outright forget half of them.

And my avatar isn't going I bookmarked it as I can return to it, it's my fall back avatar while I look for new ones. But my Halloween one is out for now. It also have a Homura/Duke Nukem Forever one I'd like to use and a Homura/Call of Duty one I use to use.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:39 pm

I look forward to seeing that. Did you mean "death and rebirth" or rebuild of Eva? I never watched DAR but if you mean rebuild, I think any problems there might have been with there characters were probably due to how in the anime, they had longer time to build them up. In Rebuild they have to basically recreate the same characters in a much shorter amount of time. In a perfect world they would remake the entire series with the ridiculously inflated budget that Rebuild had.
I am surprised to hear that you watched Madoka in Dub. I usually put people off that one if I can. Maybe it was because I watched the sub first but I just can't stand how they sound in english. Even though the voices sound pretty much the same in both.
gott ist tot

Postby top gear tony 666 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Doesn't matter. They are already established characters meaning the people watching know them, having some days pass quickly in the movie to improve development would be less over looked than if they weren't. The fact that it's more Rei centric irks me as she is your typically bland doll character. Every anime nowadays has characters like her.

Shinji's strong growth as a character from a meek waste of space to an actual kid was handled really well and now it's all in the toilet. Two films is more than enough. I feel they listened to the fans a little too much and didn't trust their own guts, even though they're the paid professionals.

One thing in the Madoka dub is the violin kid in the hospital is voiced by the person who voices Naruto, you can really tell when he raises his voice. It's so distinct.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:04 pm

I would not say she is typical, that type of character is called a Rei Ayanami expy. Though I can tell that you are an Asuka fan. The first time I watched the series, I couldn't stand her. The second time she was practically my favourite character. Still not sure what changed. Perhaps it was all the character development she got near the end.

For me the biggest problem with the English dub was that the acting sounded a little melodramatic to me at times and it was sometimes hard for me to believe that they were meant to be teenage girls because their voices sounded so sweet and high pitched, especially in the first episode. I also would have preferred them to be referred to as pauella magi mainly because the sub I saw used that name and because Kyubey's line at the end of episode 8 sounded better using the Latin translation.
gott ist tot

Postby top gear tony 666 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:16 pm

When I first watched the series I thought the English dub was horrible, but it got better as the actors got more comfortable with their roles. I notice that a lot in english dubs. How the VO work is a little uneasy at first, unless you have veterans like Troy Baker, Steve Blum, Tara Strong and so on. Mind you this was in a time when english VO work was passable at best and we really didn't have access to the Japanese dub to compare it to. We are spoilt nowadays.

And yes I am an Asuka fan. She's such a unique character and the dichotomy between her and Shinji in the series was excellent. I'm not a blind fan by any means, but they screwed up are really good character in the Rebuild. There are many characters in anime nowadays that try to copy Asuka's temperaments but they just come across as bratty. I hear that someone high up in the new Eva's development was a Rei fan and he'd only green light the project if it focused on her more. Talk about favoritism.

What's with the new girl? Is her gimmick swearing all the time or are they just trying to say British people swear like sailors. Like fuck do we.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:59 pm

I feel fairly certain that Mari was introduced just for the sake of having a new main character and merchandising. Alough I do like her, though not as much as the main three, she serves to offset their personalities. I really feel like she acts like a gamer when she is in the cockpit. I would agree that the actors in Eva took some time to find the roles (I think you were talking about Eva) but back then their was no reel standard for dubbing. And now it is like a double edged sword, almost all recent dubs are listenable, some are even better than the original but when a dub fails, it really really stands out. And when a series has so much hype, and the dub is sub par, it is a huge let down.

Have you seen 3.33 or, like me, are you waiting for the dub?
gott ist tot

Postby top gear tony 666 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:17 pm

I'm actually putting it off as much as possible. I dread to think how they ruined Asuka any more. As well as that unlikable gay guy who was a one episode character. I don't get how fans go apeshit over him.

(Note I have nothing against gays, just that particular character). It's a sad day when one needs a disclaimer.

Postby ari-6 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:14 pm

I have heard people say it is excellent and I have heard people call it a heap of shit. But for me, there is no doubt in my mind that I will enjoy it.
When I bought 2.22 it was £20 and then the following week it was reduced to £8. I am dreading this happening again. I am so mad that Mardock scrable has been out for two years and it is still £20. I don't care how good it is I won't pay £20 for a one hour OVA.
gott ist tot

Postby top gear tony 666 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Speaking of Magic Girl animes. Is it the new standard/trend for them to be dark now or what.

This one doesn't even waste any time, it goes straight for the jugular:http://www.animesub.tv/watch/genei-wo-kakeru-taiyou-english-online/ I've only seen one ep so far, but I'll see what it has to offer, if it fall back on typical tropes I'll drop it like the plague.

Postby ari-6 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:57 pm

Might be something to watch if ever I have the chance.

Since your favorite character is Kyoko I highly recommend you read Oriko magika. It's mainly about her and this little orphan girl who she takes in and teaches the ways of being homeless. At the start she's like "Well you'r parents died, tough break, see ya around" but eventually she becomes like a surrogate for her own sister. I have only read the first volume but I can already tell it is 100x better than the manga adaptation of the series. Makes me wonder, if the quartet had stories like that, why did they not write another season.

By the way Homura is obviously best character.
gott ist tot

Postby top gear tony 666 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Yeah read it. I have it. I prefer Magika Another story since it's about Kyoko and that other one with blond hair and how they met as well as Kyoko's past. Oriko is cool but the second volume focuses more on Homura.

And no, Kyoko is best. I'm now off to binge watch the second season of Black Lagoon in blu-ray

Postby ari-6 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Never read another story. I have only seen Kazumi magica and Oriko magica in stores. you buy online or just have an excellent store near you?

Homura > Kyoko
gott ist tot

Postby Hiroko » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:30 pm

Shoosh you two.

Clearly Madoka is best.
The Sentimental One

Postby top gear tony 666 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:10 pm

ari-6 wrote:Never read another story. I have only seen Kazumi magica and Oriko magica in stores. you buy online or just have an excellent store near you?

Homura > Kyoko

I shop online, but I also have a Forbidden Planet near me and they deal in comic/manga related products.

Kyoko wins, Homura doesn't have her Doctor Who powers anymore.

Hiroko wrote:Shoosh you two.

Clearly Madoka is best.

Postby ari-6 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:01 pm

I am a fan of Doctor Who but calling them "Dr Who" powers makes them sound much less awesome than they actually are.

Even new world Homura trumps Kyoko. She has wings, and did you even see how quickly she took down those demons, or how many she took on at the end. Granted they are implied to be much weaker than witches but still impressive.

I never found forbidden planet to be a very good supplier of books. Mainly because they deal with other stuff like toys, DVDs, games and other memorabilia making it harder for them to specialise. Every FP I have seen only keeps mainstream series and usually has massive holes in their collection. Fortunately for me, back home there was a traveling man right next door. They only stock books so they have a larger selection. But here at uni there are neither of those and I can't even order online.
gott ist tot

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:11 pm

http://www.zagtoon.com/#ladybug

Hi guys! Have you heard of Toei's Miraculous Ladybug? Has anyone seen it?
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby top gear tony 666 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Can't say I have. Care to enlighten us?

ari-6 wrote:I am a fan of Doctor Who but calling them "Dr Who" powers makes them sound much less awesome than they actually are.

Even new world Homura trumps Kyoko. She has wings, and did you even see how quickly she took down those demons, or how many she took on at the end. Granted they are implied to be much weaker than witches but still impressive.

PreviousNext

Return to EverAfter