Television and Movies

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Television and Movies

Postby EagleMan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:57 am

Coincidences happen all the time in media. Attack on Titan also has German elements. The opening song is obvious enough but as the movie may have pointed out (I can't recall properly), Erin "Jäger" means Hunter. They hunt Kaiju, Eren hunts Titans. Armin also means something basically like soldier - specifically "army man". German for army is Armee or Heer and man is mann so put two and two together and you can get Armin or Hermann, the latter being an actual name.

Postby EagleMan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:51 pm

I saw Gravity 3D and Captain Phillips back to back. Stranded in space and stranded at sea, both movies with universal praise. A very good time for cinema.

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Two movies I want to see, but with actors I don't really care for. Ehh, such a difficult decision.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:12 pm

You're eh on Tom Hanks?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:17 pm

As terrible for some people to here it said, yes.

Some movies I think he does a wonderful job, others I could care less about.

Postby Mathias » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:16 pm

He apparently doesn't watch his own movies.

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:26 pm

I wonder what that would be like. To watch a movie that you are in.

Postby Tuor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:35 pm

Mathias wrote:He apparently doesn't watch his own movies.

Johnny Depp doesn't either.

I would probably be the same. I know that when we had to make short films in drama class I always hated watching them
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mathias » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Did you read the same article I did? I don't think I could resist watching something that I starred in.

Postby EagleMan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Probably not any worse than watching a video of yourself. Most actors will separate the character they're playing from themselves, so even on screen they can think of it as a different person - especially since they know all that went into it, the costuming, the green screen, maybe even some people they're playing off of not even having been there when they shot the scene.

But watching your own movies can probably be more disconcerting on a professional level: "Oh... they decided to go with that take"
"I could've done better there" etc.

Postby Tuor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:44 pm

*shrug* I'm sure most actors like watching their movies and a lot of people who are not actors would like watching something they've starred in. But I can understand why some actors don't from my own experience with is
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:52 pm

It's separating yourself from the movie that's hard you watch it and you'll start thinking about what it took to film the scene or you focus too much on your screwups.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:53 pm

Ya, that's probably true.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Exodis » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:12 pm

I WANNA WATCH THIS!
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

I will persevere, I will resist to hear, I will interfere.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Universal Swordsman

Postby MERASMUS! » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:38 pm

When I was younger, other people's opinions never mattered to me at all because I never heard any. I liked the prequels of Star Wars for their amazing choreography and CG and tend to block out the bad parts, making the movie more forgiving. I realized that ranting on something doesn't really make it go away. If you don't like something, the best you can do, is either be constructive about it, or don't talk about it at all.

http://cinemassacre.com/2010/07/01/top- ... net_100426
Oh hello Soldier

Postby tonightscake » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:19 pm

Maybe it's just because I was a kid when I first watched it, but I always thought phantom menace wasn't all that bad. It's probably because the story revolves around a sci-fi kid who fucks shit up. Jar-jar still sucked though. I think that's why most people hated it really, all dat binks.
Why not?
Lovely Antics

Postby Tuor » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:21 pm

The plot also makes no sense

Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Sounded a little like Zoidberg.

Postby Tuor » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm glad that's what you took away from the videos
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:16 pm

I couldn't take away the idea that Phantom Menace was a bad movie. I already knew that.

Postby Tuor » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Lol
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Well then. Thor 2 is out, wasn't bad. I'm more of a Iron Man fan than a Thor fan.

Also, the second Hobbit movie comes out next month. It looks pretty good.

Postby Tuor » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:14 pm

I probably won't even watch Desolation of Smaug unless a bunch of friends are going
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby tonightscake » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:22 pm

Wait til mass released.
Pirate it or watch it on TV.
Why not?
Lovely Antics

Postby Tuor » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:23 pm

I won't be watching it by choice
Rest Easy Ethan

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion