The Writer's Lounge

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Writer's Lounge

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:01 pm

I mean, I guess you could see it that way, but does it make you all feel better if I say that's not what I meant? I meant a lack of experience and that should his work not seem up to par by his own standards then to just draw it anyway if for no other reason then to get better at his craft. Now can we drop this side tangent? Gee wiz. :roll:
Tenshi Nova wrote:Haven't read shit.
Welcome to the Literature forum.

Get to work.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Pretty sure we all knew you didn't mean it that way <3

I would spend my time reading all I can, if I wasn't already reading 20 other stuff :p
I've read a bit here and there, but none of the seemingly more solid and consistent works.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:I would spend my time reading all I can, if I wasn't already reading 20 other stuff :p
I've read a bit here and there, but none of the seemingly more solid and consistent works.
   Have you read any of my stuff?   

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Honestly didn't see it that way until it was mentioned :D . I kind of stopped drawing for myself a bit after people started liking the Story of Mizuka. Sure it's had some criticism towards the story due to lack of experience on how to storytell with a comic. But I've been getting quite a bit of help from GrimlyLoveGunner and Sigment, as well as Cerculean, that it's been noticed quite recently by someone that my exposition problem is slowly being overcome thanks to GrimlyLoveGunner.

But again, still don't know. I'd defiantly have to take it slower. I've been able to producing pages of the Story of Mizuka at the rate I'm going because I don't have to worry about quality overly as much and I find later there's been a lot of carelessness due to impatience. So this story would be going at a far slower rate, possibly not as slow as Bleedman's due to still not matching his quality and especially not juggling 3-4 comics at once lol .

Anyways does the concept sound interesting as well, that's something I wanted to bring up as well? If no one minds me saying. Because I would only want to work on 1 comic at once, due to my impatience with progress and so on.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Thy_Obsessive_Freak wrote:But I've been getting quite a bit of help from GrimlyLoveGunner and Sigment, as well as Cerculean, that it's been noticed quite recently by someone that my exposition problem is slowly being overcome thanks to GrimlyLoveGunner.
GrimlyLoveGunner, huh? I haven't heard that name in what feels like years. I wonder what's become of them...
Thy_Obsessive_Freak wrote:Anyways does the concept sound interesting as well, that's something I wanted to bring up as well?
I have to say that yes, it's very interesting.

The world needing more superhumans, but being so underdeveloped and backwards that they don't have any kind of respect or expectations of the female sex, but they are so needing of superhumans that they allow women to become them. I feel like that this could be a great story with likeable characters and a strong message, should the main characters succeed or fail. I say go for it.

Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:21 pm

@Bird
Honestly, I'll probably read your stuff last >.>
It's the longest here, I read the first post, didn't really grab my face and smack it.

@Walrus
Concept sounds interesting, it's the follow through that will be judged :3
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Asinerta » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:57 pm

I've read TCW, Bird. Haven't done it in a while though, because of laziness and having to do other things. But I'll start catching up when I can.
I like sleeping

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Wanted to share. Read it yesterday in about 5 minutes. Amazing imo.
http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:41 pm

I dunno, to me it feels like it's trying very hard to make me go "Ooooooo!"
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:47 pm

I love the idea tho, every person is a single being and it's seemingly infinite incarnations.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:10 pm

Oh, I remember reading that years ago on 4chan's literature section. It's a good read, among one of my favorites among the Copy's Quandry or whatever it's called talking about the differences between clones that know they are clones and clones that don't know they are clones and of course the original person.

Food for thought, to be sure. A lot of people out there have some great work.

And thank you Asinerta, it's good to sometimes put a face on my readers. Less than 2% of them actually post.

Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Anyone got a good/favorite creepypasta? I need some more Halloween scares and chills. If you don't mind, I would also appreciate if you mention why you like it.

Thank you! c:
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigment » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:32 pm

I'd just recommend one of the Scary Stories books. Some of the stuff in there still creeps me out. Used to have nightmares reading them as a kid, but their still my favorite little collections of spookiness for a good scare.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Tenshi Nova » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:35 pm

Creepypastas have that little touch to it, that I don't feel when reading storybooks. I didn't really get much from the creepypasta thread already made.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Guardian » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:11 pm

I've only really read Creepypastas from their wiki, no idea if this is where they are all at or not. But my favorite right now is Rainbow Factory. I haen't really read any of the other ones.

Oh, except Lavender Town Symptom. that one was... weird.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Is that the one where the original Red and Green versions were reprinted with a slightly altered Lavender Town music because of alleged deaths regarding it?

Shit spooked me a bit, and I don't get spooked that easily. Probably because when the song was played, the frequencies look just like that Ghost in the Pokemon tower.

Spooky.

Bird oft Error

Postby Havoc » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:41 pm

I've never actually "read" any Creepypastas, but I have watched a few videos of them from a guy on YouTube that goes by Yuriofwind.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Guardian » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:36 pm

Birdofterror wrote:Is that the one where the original Red and Green versions were reprinted with a slightly altered Lavender Town music because of alleged deaths regarding it?

Yeah, sounded like bullshit to me.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

Semper Vigilans

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Is there anyone here whose got good knowledge on changing the perspectives? As in Game of thrones sort of idea? How often can you change perspectives, between who, like can it only be between the main characters (Or ones you've been changing between so far) or can it be between others for the purposes of convenience. Anyone able to help me out?
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm not too experienced myself, but I just change in accordance to preference.
Preference as in, how important the events will be in contributing to the overall story later.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:12 pm

I separate constantly in my story. I usually change perspectives after a chapter, or mid chapter with a long
(===============================================)
After it.

So long as it ties into the main story and you make it clear this is a different character, it's actually not that hard.

You can look at some of my later parts. You don't have to read them all, but you can just look at it to see how I do it.

I'm always willing to improve, but for now this seems to be the most effective method. I sometimes replace the long line with a (Meanwhile.) or (Later.) If it involves long amounts of talking or backtracking.

Bird oft Error

Postby Sigment » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:07 am

I always thought that the one style you don't/can't change perspectives with was first-person narratives of the main character.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Birdofterror » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:53 am

You mean like "I walked down the hallway" Versus "(Name) walked down the hallway"?

If the story is good at what it's doing and it covers both the world and the main character's actions within it, you can sometimes do both.

Otherwise, I thought he was just talking about switching from character to character like in Game of Thrones, which does it like 500 times.

Bird oft Error

Postby Sigment » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Birdofterror wrote:You mean like "I walked down the hallway" Versus "(Name) walked down the hallway"?

Yup.
Birdofterror wrote:Otherwise, I thought he was just talking about switching from character to character like in Game of Thrones, which does it like 500 times.

I figured that. IMO, if it's done well, and doesn't happen often or vaguely enough that you have trouble understanding how everything ties together, I don't mind it. Some stories call for perspective changes all the time, others don't need them at all.

Sometimes a story that usually focuses on one perspective may shift around a little when a certain event happens or is about to happen. An example would be Part Two of the latest chapter of KC.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Guardian » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:46 pm

I had some good notes on stuff like this. Let me see if I can find it.

Semper Vigilans

PreviousNext

Return to Literature