Well this is a thing...

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Well this is a thing...

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:46 am

The infamously bad video game Daikatana is up on Steam...
No I didn't make that up. Here's the source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... p-on-steam

For you youngsters who might not know about the game Daikatana, it was bad, like really bad. I'm talking Ocarina of Time water temple bad (original not the 3DS remake) only it lasts for the whole game and these a lot less water and no heavy ass boots. Also it has this hilariously awful slogan:

Some people find this so stupid they're filled with a rage that burns as brightly as a thousand suns (at least some use to back in ye old days). I just think its funny.

My reaction was kind of on the "Hmm" side of things. I can't even be mad about this because of how strange (and possibly bad) an idea it is. My almost exact thoughts on it were along the lines of this:

Well, this is a thing. I don't quite know what to say about it, but it sure is a thing all right... Hmm... Its like seeing something you'd never thought would exist for the first time. Its like seeing a unicorn only instead of filling you with a sense of wonder it just leaves with a feeling of, "... What?"

If you want to experience the total shit fest this game is you can get it for mere dollars. That may be why they're doing this. They want a whole new generation of gamers to gaze into the void of total badness that is Daikatana. And according to a theory of another person that may be just what they want to happen. I've heard a very sound theory from someone else that they hope the infamous reputation of how bad it is will lead to game sell from people who are morbidly curious enough to see it for themselves.
Bark

Re: Well this is a thing...

Postby Havoc » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:12 am

Mad-Mutt wrote:Well, this is a thing. I don't quite know what to say about it, but it sure is a thing all right... Hmm... Its like seeing something you'd never thought would exist for the first time. Its like seeing a unicorn only instead of filling you with a sense of wonder it just leaves with a feeling of, "... What?"

I'm not quite sure what to make of this either, Mad-Mutt.
Ride to Hell: Retribution 1% comes to mind.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Asmodai » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:56 pm

It may be bad, but its also a classic, in the sense that it was so incredibly overhyped and then fell short on every aspect.
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:43 pm

Ye. It's not like it's actually the worst game ever. I'm pretty sure it's infamy arise mainly from the disparancy between the degree to which it was hyped and the quality of the actual product. John Romero had made many great games before it.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Return to Snafu Gaming