The Writer's Lounge

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Writer's Lounge

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Felt that I should note that I've almost done writing me prose. It'll have to go through some editing how.

But do want to be also a git and note I could've done 500words! (It wouldn't have been easy, but I could've done it! Someone dare me!)
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Tuor » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:12 pm

My entry is less than 300 words, la dee da~
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm almost done. I could have made it a short story, I could have made it a song, or a poem, but I'm a story guy. I like stories, long extravagant stories that tie into expansive narratives.

I got to thinking, and when I boiled it down: It was related to Bleedman, Halloween, and of course the source material to Bleedman's work. I can't imagine making it more related to this moment. I had to write it in such a way that the 1000 word limit didn't get in the way and I think it turned out pretty well. :D

How's everyone else doing?
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tuor » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:24 pm

Mine is done, but I'm going to wait until closer to the deadline to post the link in the contest thread.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Tuor wrote:My entry is less than 300 words, la dee da~

You may have out did me in that sense then >:( ... But my ego is still bigger!

An obsessed freak

Postby Tuor » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Oh, no contest there ;)
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Tuor wrote:Mine is done, but I'm going to wait until closer to the deadline to post the link in the contest thread.
Yeah I was thinking about that, but I've held off my own story for long enough, and since I'll be posting my contest entry in my thread, I don't want to submit it in the middle of a chapter or something.

Once the last person I have proofreading it is done, I'll submit it and then continue on with my story.

To sate my curiosity, less than 300 words, would that make it a Poem? A monologue? Too short to be a story, too long to be a simple song. Perhaps a nostalgic memory expressed in a way only a writer can convey? Let me pick your mind a bit Tuor, I haven't seen any of your work before.

And for Walrus, 500 words. Perhaps a short story? The Grinch that stole Halloween? I'm sure it will be lovely.

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tuor » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Would you like to muse on it a bit more or shall I just tell you what it is?
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Well that would be Telling, of course. But perhaps a little wink and a nudge. Something to look forward to. :)

Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Hmm. Story is done, a little hesitant about posting it. Will consider it though if it gets other people moving around.

Postby Birdofterror » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:28 pm

I'll post mine soon, now that I've gotten a taste of other peoples' works, a lot of people seem to be going for the "spooky." What I'm going for is quite the opposite.

I'm going for that magic of the holiday season, not the spontaneous part either, the part where everyone has to work for it. People have to put brave faces on to make the kids not feel like the world is so dangerous. Everyone wearing a smile even if they're hurting inside, some burying it with alcohol, others by having a friend to burden their sorrows with them. In the end, their forced faked happiness turns into real happiness, the force laughter becomes real laughter. The smiles become legitimate- like magic. The magic of the holidays.

... I struggled to make it fit a thousand words.

Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Pfft, magic.

Postby Birdofterror » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:20 pm

I know, right?

Bird oft Error

Postby Sigment » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Well, for me, I went simple. I'll probably get beaten out by one of your stories, but I just felt like participating. Was thinking about doin' something like Bird, ya know? Halloween story involving the characters in my story. Would have been interesting to try it, though.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Yeah, it was fun to put aside the seriousness of my story and let them just have some fun, you know? Had to make it march to the beat of the holidays. The main problem with what I did was that it was a fanfiction, so people would feel inclined to know the characters before reading the story. I was lucky that my fanfiction was based on content that most of the people on this forum are already familiar with, Bleedman's PPGD. Even still I had to struggle to make the situation and the characters within it seem like they just entered the story so that readers wouldn't feel required to read beforehand.

I think it was a good exercise that brought my out of my comfort zone in writing. It took constant editing and feedback from readers to turn out like it did, and I think it turned out great.

Bird oft Error

Postby Sigment » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm thinking of actually sharing my entry with my family when it's Halloween. It's a catchy little rhyme, and I've had a couple of people tell me that you could lead into the song "This is Halloween" with it.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Tenshi Nova » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Boys and Girls of EvErY Age, Would'nt you Li- woah stop myself there.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:15 am

Hey-ho, wasn't sure where to post this so I thought here.

Right now I'm struggling with an idea. I was planning to do it as a more ambitious manga, but I'm not sure if my art skills will have reached the desired art skills within one year (As that's the time I'm hoping to have finished the Story of Mizuka), it's aimed to be within 9 months really, but yeah, I did post this somewhere else, but I'm hoping for more versatile advice. There's few forums I go on that supports both literature and comics/manga. Plus the place has Morpheus, Birdofterror and Bloodlord, as well as others (Do you honestly want me to make a list), all of which are good for go-to-advice.

So what is it that I'm needing help on. Well I've already got a lot down... a lot-a lot. So I'll just summarize it until I know where to more appropriately put this and see if anyone is willing to help me out.

In this fictional world, a kingdom's military force has greatly depleted after a disastrous military expedition. In order to recover they need more people to wield the godlike power (Become Naruto and Bleach sort of people), however there are very few men left who are willing to pay the price or go through the very high risks involved. So after been persuaded by one of the figureheads, they agree to let women take up arms to gain access to this power. What's the big deal. The kingdom is extremely sexiest to an Ancient Athenian point. They belief women are stupid, weak and are yet dangerous. Why are they dangerous, Ancient Athenians believed women were that stupid, that their stupid ideas were that dangerous. They also couldn't understand the hormones they struggled with as teenagers and the fact they slit themselves (Emos have been around a very long time) made them believe they were very self-destructive).
So yes as for the story itself, it revolves around two of these women. One is your old fashion rebellious character, who believes genders should be equal, but comes out more like that women are superior. The other is your usual cool-headed calm character and desires vengeance for her husband dying in the war. She is content with her society. Because of this, the rebellious character wants to use this opportunity to aggressively change society, while the other just wants to get on with her training to avenge. This causes friction throughout the story.

So what am I needing help with? Well I don't know which medium to do this in, should I do this as comic? I want to have good enough skills that I want to have the gal to have it up on the front page like Bleedman and Skull-boy-666 or something like that. Or should I do it as a novel? I'm not sure how to write this, I need the perspectives to change frequently, which is it ethical to do that? I know George R.R Martin does it, but this frequent? Or should I do it as a screenplay? I there's not many people I can go to for help, I'm just as inexperienced there and screenplays are just as length constraint as novels and comics, which is what I've never been into them as much.
Besides that, this is really huge and opinionitive. I want to be telling a story that I don't want to get caught up telling a message. If you've also ever read any of my work, you might know that nearly all of it (Especially my earliest work) is quite feminist, as my female characters are very 2D and would do more well in the 70s era or earlier. Also just to generally see if anyone thinks this is actually a worth while idea. I think people are thinking it already is, but again wanted to hear from people around here as you're all pretty good ideas yerselves.

An obsessed freak

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Well I think you already answered your question.
Thy_Obsessive_Freak wrote:So what am I needing help with? Well I don't know which medium to do this in, should I do this as comic? I want to have good enough skills that I want to have the gal to have it up on the front page like Bleedman and Skull-boy-666 or something like that.
Ask anyone who ever drew anything ever in the history of forever. There are only 2 things you can do to improve drawing. In this case, Drawing a Comic:

1: Take Drawing Lessons
2: Draw

Now assuming you don't have the time for 1, if you want to improve at drawing, then draw. Hell, if you are self conscious about how it turns out; then draw it for yourself. Only after its done and your comfortable with it can you submit it. So that's my vote, make it into a comic. You have nowhere to go but up. Draw, bro, Draw!
Last edited by Birdofterror on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Birdofterror wrote:I've seen some of your work and to put my thoughts simply, you have nowhere to go but up.

That was worded soooooooo poorly lol.

Edit: Damn, reading Tuor use of 'very' made me feel inferior T.T
Last edited by Tenshi Nova on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Haha, ya, very poorly
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Ah, I see what you're getting at. Yeah I can see how that was put poorly. I took that out, now- this isn't about me.

Walrus, I'd like to see a day where you're up on that list of artists here.

Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Still poorly worded <3

I should get around to reading some of the stuff in the Literature and Art Sections. >.>
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:48 pm

How is "you have nowhere to go but up" poorly worded? If nothing else, even the most negative connotation of the phrase only points to a lack of experience and that he should do it to get better.
Tenshi Nova wrote:I should get around to reading some of the stuff in the Literature and Art Sections.
Some more than others. >.>

Ever read any of Griddles' work?

Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:55 pm

The most negative view, is implying you think his work is so awful, it can't get worse.

Haven't read shit.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Literature