Literature Contest

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Literature Contest

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, newcomers and veterans of Snafu, inspired by the Art Contest, we welcome you to the Lit Sect's Literature Contest. Writers, be it from professional authors to those laying in bed with your diary, it's time to share your talents. Here we are to compete for bragging rights, and the winner receives a $25 Vanilla Visa Gift Card!

In celebration of that the day of frightful fun, the theme of the contest is going to be:

Funny events, or dreadful ghost stories, the choice of the contents is up to you.

This is a whatever weapon of choice you want to use. You can tell your readers an adventure, create poem of dreams, or bring out a dark nightmare You can have your own characters and worlds, or make your own fanfic. Do what makes you comfortable, the only limit is your imagination.

Rules

1: There is a 1,000 limit. Anything over 1,000 words will need to be shortened.

2: Everyone is allowed one entry per person.

3: Collaborations are allowed. It is up to the winners on how to split the prize. Be sure to plan the split before to avoid conflict.

4: Keep your works PG-13.

5: Place your works in the Literature Section, under your own thread, and provide the link here. You're free to show your progress in your Literature thread, and link the results.

If any rules are broken, one of the three anonymous judges will notify you and discuss what needs to be changed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Voting Thread will open in the Literature Section. Names and links will be posted there.

Opened: September 17 - October 20th
Voting: October 20th - November 3rd

Prize money may be raised depending on the number of entrees, but not lowered.
Last edited by Tenshi Nova on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: Literature Contest

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:31 pm

The rules don't say anything about originality (In relation to fanfictions) or about past works.

So according to the rules, can I link to my story 3 years in the making within my signature, or create something entirely different?

Though I do think it's a "little" over 1000 words. It may be closer to like... A million. But I can make a 1000 word part for it based off of Halloween- unless I have to make something else completely.

I can see the rules, but not so much the goals. What exactly do I do for this contest if I want to participate? Now that I think about it, a rather lighthearted halloween section might be perfect for what I'm thinking up...
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 pm

I can't tell if you're asking me a question, or answering your own.
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:43 pm

He seems to have done both, so idk, man
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:45 pm

I'm simultaneously asking if I can make a 1000 word part for my story which is already up and submit it here while also planning how it would turn out should I actually do it.

I haven't done a holiday part before, so I'm asking if I can while still having it link to my story in progress: The Chronometal Wars.

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tuor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Maybe you should try writing something other than TCW
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:49 pm

I was thinking that too, of course. I'm just weighing my options.

I'm still planning out how to make a 1000 word story about Halloween... interesting. No offense to Halloween of course.

Bird oft Error

Postby Exodis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:55 pm

This sounds like a Creepypasta contest.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Deemed as the best, Outlawed as the worst.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Kid

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:59 pm

It's not a creep out horror thing. As long as Halloween is involved. You could make a funny Trick or Treat story if you really wanted to.

As for Bird's thoughts. Only the 1k word entree would be taken, if others don't feel like reading it because they feel obligated to read what you've written prior, that's up to the readers, and a risk you'd be taking.
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:01 pm

Randori wrote:This sounds like a Creepypasta contest.
Horror... huh? I haven't considered that. I kept thinking of the light hearted thinly veiled magic that is Halloween, the candy... the costumes... the happy kids, though I guess the horror route is open as well.
Tenshi Nova wrote:As for Bird's thoughts. Only the 1k word entree would be taken, if other don't feel like reading it because they feel obligated to read what you already have, that's up to the readers.
Oh, of course I would need to make it applicable to new readers. That's one of the things I was thinking.

I was just wondering if it was against the rules or not.

Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Any story, original or fanfic. Any other, all welcomed. As long as it falls into the few rules given, you may.
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Belwicket » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:00 pm

I'm in!
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:53 am

Postby Maru » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Can someone please destroy my Feathers thread? I wanna make sure I don't end up breaking the rules and I have everything of that godawful thing backed up.
My DA
My Soundcloud (WARNING: May contain flat Japanese singing)
Feathers: hiatus'd
Manly Crust Breather

Postby Tenshi Nova » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:54 pm

I think you can link that to one of the mods and ask them.
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:32 pm

What do we need terminated?
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Birdofterror » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:43 am

I've been writing my thing, but after my first day of writing I've already been constrained by the 1000 word limit. I managed to cut the story off at the 995 word limit and it still feels like half of a story. :?

I pass the setup and organically introduce all of the characters and I'm already 600 words in, leaving 400 to the actual story. Ack.

Maybe I just need to pick a different subject... something that can convey the feeling of Halloween while still being a good story, introducing all of the characters and making people care about them in under 300 words.

Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm debating between happy ending or a sad ending.
I'm still not sure what my entry will be, but I have a basic idea of what I want.
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Yeah, I'm in.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Sigment » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:36 am

If I have the time, I might post something. Though I may just watch and see what everyone else enters with.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Tuor » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Can the piece just be creepy? Or does it have to specifically mention/allude to Halloween?
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Yes, you can enter a creepy story. The theme was more of the Halloween mood OR the need for Halloween in the story. The theme wasn't meant to be too limiting.

Say TheOctoberScarf's entry, there's nothing Halloween based in it, but it helps with the mood.
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Mkay, coolbeans
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Sigment » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:14 pm

"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby MissTikilicious » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Where do I post my entry? Here? Or do I make my own thread for it?
Demonic Ninjas Swag

Next

Return to Literature