The Legend of Korra (Spoilers, nukka! Beware!)

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Legend of Korra (Spoilers, nukka! Beware!)

Postby Mir@k » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:15 am

Stuffaluffagus wrote:you’re contributing to the society-wide pattern of denigrating women
Was gonna try to read your post, but with this bullshit, feel free to keep it.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Spoopy Princess » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:26 am

How am I not surprised.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Whatbutt: She's got enough tea to throw into a harbor and start another revolution.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:30 am

You tell me, it's the first time someone pulls the misoginy card in a context where the misoginy was completely generated by the delusions of a single individual, at least for me, who wasn't even aware was being misogynistic (because i wasn't), but whatever floats your boat stuffyduffy.

I guess that's the world we live in today, can't move a finger, think, or display opinions without making a vague reference to something that ends up offending the bullshit rethoric of an oppressed group.
Last edited by Mir@k on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BeeAre » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:31 am

Hi everybody! :O
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mir@k » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:32 am

Hello BeeAre!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Spoopy Princess » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:32 am

Lets just put it this way, Korra is acting out because she was lied to all her life. Now lets look at a male, who is worshiped and doing the same thing plus murder: Loki.

So you tell me.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Whatbutt: She's got enough tea to throw into a harbor and start another revolution.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:35 am

Stuffaluffagus wrote:Lets just put it this way, Korra is acting out because she was lied to all her life. Now lets look at a male, who is worshiped and doing the same thing plus murder: Loki.

So you tell me.
I still can't see why or how your comment alluding to misoginy enters in any sort of way into the context of my, or anybody elses, post. Consider my posts as if they were talking about a genderless person. My opinion stands. I don't think korra is acting bratty because she has a pair or breasts or a vagina. Seriously what.

I don't know what your feminist agenda is, but please leave me out of it, i'm opinionating on fictional characters disregarding their genders ok.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:36 am

Korra did have a short temper in the first two episodes. Sometimes I think she got the "Han" when she hooked up with Mako.

It just disturbing to me that Tenzin and or Korra's dad didn't explain anything that's been going to Korra. They didn't want Unalaq to train her they could at least tell her why. Korra's already mature enough to know what they know. Or did they forget that Korra saved them from Equalists?
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mir@k » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:39 am

I don't think anybody has forgotten that, but i also think that no one has forgotten how korra did some really awful decisions before either, specially with the whole equalists ordeal. Korra's decision making put people at risk, including herself. This is attributed to her latent immaturity, and that is why i think the leash being kept tight is justified. Then again, the leash should be kept tight, not choke the individual.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:45 am

Like calling out Amon for a 1 on 1 but got ganged up--almost losing her bending to Amon? Yeah, it is dumb. I still have the problem of them not to explain anything to her. Yeah, tighten the leash but freaking explain why. They had two episodes to say something in 7 seconds at least. She's not a child, I'm pretty certain she'd understand.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mir@k » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:04 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:She's not a child, I'm pretty certain she'd understand.
Tenzin has spent the entirety of season 1 and the beggining of season 2 reminding us all that, while Korra IS capable of understanding, she ISN'T doing so out of, well, AGE. An example of this is her airbending and the abuse of her avatar state, if she were such an easy-to-approach person, and if she'd "surely understand", she'd listen to Tenzin's advice wihout putting that much a fight. She'd understand the important bits before someone has punched the morale in her, and Tenzin would know Korra is someone to trust with these kind of things, and so they'd fucking tell her shit.

But this doesn't happen, JUSTIFIABLE SO, because Korra is a difficult person to teach. She's at a difficult age, she's by nature a hot blooded, strong kind of person, not much on the intellectual side and, as our very irritable feminist up there reminded us, has had it rough even when asking for permission to go to the store since she was little because she was born the avatar. Place yourself in Tenzin's shoes, for example, and imagine having to deal with Korra. Compare her to Jinora and... The other one. I really can't fault people for being so overprotective when the motherfucking AVATAR is at a very self destructing age (the 1 on 1 amon thing comes to mind), Korra is walking dynamite! Even the thought of a teen having such an immense power freaks me out, i can't imagine what the people who are trying to keep the shit of the wolrd together must be going through whenever they hear the Avatar, the only person able to run "sortshitout.exe", placed herself in a dangerous situation AGAIN out of her disregarding the orders and advice of her mentors. I can't BLAME people for being this secretive to Korra. I have a sister going through that age, and any complaints i had against Korra's father make a 'puff' noise and dissipate into the air whenever i am in a similar situation. Granted, my sister is not the motherfucking avatar, but yeah.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:04 am

Tenzin must have it hard. Aang trained him, but now Tenzin needs to make sure the revival of the Air Nomads go off.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:40 am

Rougher than that. However hard he tries to get the Air Nomads re-created as a society, all of those people are "converts" not natural born and so cannot airbend (which I suppose means that, technically, he CAN'T re-create the Air Nomads as they were, since one of their features was that they had a 100% bending population and he can NEVER get that back (with all airbenders having to marry either non-benders or benders of other types, there are probably always going to be children who take after their other side. Unless the airbenders are planning to start a rigorous plan of ethnic cleansing (i.e. casting out any non or off type benders) and eugenics (i.e. forcing any airbenders to marry other airbenders) neither of which seems in accord with their philosopy.) At the moment, excluding Korra the total number of Airbenders in the world stands at 4-5. And it is probably nothing short of a miracle that, as of this point ALL of Tenzin's kids can bend (with the baby still being a question mark)His dad only managed 2/3 and that was with a bending mother. Tenzin's not a young man, how many more kids can he have? Can you imagine how it must feel to have the propigation of a whole section of the bending world lies soley on your shoulders? One accident, one bad disease, one kid who just doesn't feel like marrying and having kids and the world loses a quarter of it's potential Airbending breeding pool. The airbender population is going to remain perilously vulnerable for many generations to come. Tenzin knows this and I'm sure it weighs him down immensely.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:49 am

Future air Avatars are going to be reincarnated from Aang and related. They're their own ancestor.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Which in and of itself is a problem. It gives Aang's family a TREMENDOUS amount of power, far more than they should have given their size. So far they haven't done all that much with it since Tenzin is a fairly wise and prudent person. But down the line, think of the trouble. Think of what will happen if the next generation of Airbenders get uppity (Tenzin's kids are pretty spoiled already, so it could happen) and say refuse to teach the next avatar airbending without "compensation". If they wont teach the next one, who will? and what happens if the family eventually goes "clannish" like say the Beifongs (Toph excluded). Three down the road and you are looking at an Avatar who might be loyal to his family first, and the world second.the Airbender pool will still be small then, even if there are "hidden" lines (that is if Bumi and What's-her-Name can sire airbenders as well (do either of them have kids of their own?) Especially if the family is carful about who marries whom. The already have waterbender ties; make sure a few people mary Earth and Firebenders and you could have a situation where the family decides they don't need the rest of the world, they can train the new Avatar "in house". We haven't yes seen what happens when the AVATAR turns evil, or becomes wholly corrupted.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:32 pm

If this were to happen, all I'd ever be able to think about would be
Damn Roku, should've killed the nigga when you had the chance.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:31 pm

How would that have helped. Misled as Azulon was and Psychotic as Ozai was and Azula were, none of them were "the fount of all evil". Their presence did not cause the Avatar then to turn evil, and their absence does not have prevented the possibility of some future one going to the dark side. Each avatar is their own person; as free to choose their own path as anyone else and as liable to go astray as well. Well maybe not QUITE as free, since most people presumably don't have the voices of all their preincarnations yelling in their ears. But still, the avatar is not infallible.
BTW one little thing I noticed. My ears might have been playing tricks on me but it sounded like the shipping magnate called his assistant "Ju Dee". Does this mean that the Dai Lee kept brainwashing people in the post Avatar world, or is it just a coincidence of her having the same name?

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:35 pm

I was referring to the family thing, which would be caused by the Air Nomads being wiped out, which was caused by the war, which was indirectly not prevented by Roku.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Oh, in THAT context, you comment makes sense. Of couse had Roku actually offed Azulon, it's hard to say if it would have stopped the war. Presumably with Azulon gone, Iroh would have ascended the throne (no war, no death of his son, no reason to withdraw.) HOW LONG he would have held it is another matter, Assuming Ozai is already alive at that point (and Azulon is old enough I think he is) He probably would have eventually figured out a way to assassinate Iroh and his son to get the throne (Ozai is psycho enough in the official timeline that I have to feel at least some of it is all him, that it isn't all how Azulon raised him so he'd still be nuts even in this timeline. When that happened Ozai would probably start the war anyway. There'd be no Zuko and Azula (after killing Azulon there is no way Roku would leave his daughter in Ozai's hands assuming she even KNOWS him yet) On the other hand, with no immediate threat from the Air Nomads (their largely monkish nature makes it unlikely they'd instigate attacks on their own) Ozai would probably start with the Earth Kingdom. With an army fully fresh, he might have just managed to decimate them especially with Soizin's comet backing him. So by the time Roku actually passed on, and the new Air Avatar comes to be. He'd probably be facing an even WORSE situation, one where the Fire Nation had ALREADY conquered the whole planet (with no earth kingdom, taking out the Northern and Southern water tribes would be a piece of cake. That's assuming that Ozai had not already wiped out the Air Nomads by this time anyway (because they're there) and the whole cycle was already broken. And all that is assuming Iroh didn't start all of that himself. It was the death of his son in the war that "broke" him and set him on the path we saw. Without that he may have turned out as bad as Azulon or Ozai. What I am trying to get at is, killing off Azulon might not have been enough, to prevent the war, Roku might have had to wipe out the whole Fire Lord Dynasty.

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:19 pm

You're thinking a bit too hard into this.
If Roku had offed SOZIN. :3
Then I think at most, the Fire Nation MAY see Roku as an enemy. Roku would've then waited out the comet, or taken measures to make sure that the Fire Nation couldn't do anything during its passing.

Also, Zuko would probably still exist.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:14 pm

I think the Fire lord might have a problem with either his wife or his brothers wife (depending on whether we are talking about Iroh or Ozai) being the daughter of the supreme traitor of the land. At bare minium what few scant touches of love and humanity Zuko got in his childhood from Ursa would have been snuffed out, Ozai would have re-doubled his effort to keep his son from turning out "like his grandpa Roku" Zuko would have been drilled from birth to hate his mom and her side of the family, and we would probably have been looking at a Zuko who thought EXACTLY like Azula. And no Iroh to steer him back, Iroh would still be cleaving to the family line. Also in a lot of royal lines being tied by blood to someone declared an enemy of the state automatically knocks you out of the sucession, and Ozai NEEDS his kids to be legitmate.
As for Roku waiting out the comet, that sort of depends if he lived that long. Roku wasn't exactly a young man by the time of the fight, how many more years would he have had? Could he have lasted that long? Add in that he'd presumably be on the run for most of that that could wear him out. I suppose he could have gathered anti Soizinites to him and spearheaded a civil war in the Fire Nation but even that could get messy. The Avatar is powerful, but he probably could not have taken on the whole fire nation alone.

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Dragons.
I was also pointing how you kept saying Azulan instead of Sozin.
   Also, Zuko isn't Ozai's son.   
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Cerulean » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:55 pm

I think that this is what Tenshi meant earlier.

If, instead of sparing Sozin's life at the time of their last duel, he (Roku) finished him off, then what would have become of the world that we know of today? Sozin's son (Azulon) was born sometime after the events of Sozin's comet. Roku, however, died before the events of Sozin's comet. So if Roku killed Sozin, then Azulon would not exist. This also means that his sons (Ozai and Iroh) are not born, which in turn means that their children (Zuko, Azula and Lu Ten) are not born.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:12 pm

What she said :p

The possibility of Sozin already have had a child is also there, but in either sense, the Air Nomads wouldn't have been wiped out.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:06 am

Agreed, assuming Soizin's plan was all his own, as opposed to something held by the whole of the royal family at the time (if it is the whole plan is simply taken up by whoever is Soizin's successor is and the whole thing starts again).

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)