The Legend of Korra (Spoilers, nukka! Beware!)

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Legend of Korra (Spoilers, nukka! Beware!)

Postby Princess » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:43 pm

September 13th.

Also, there's a mini series going on with Mako and Bolin.

Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Princess » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Oh, and

All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Biostar » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Just 6 days off then. That announcer felt really unfit for the trailer.

Part 2 is out but not on youtube because of copyright so here: http://www.hypable.com/2013/08/16/the-legend-of-korra-part-2-of-republic-city-hustle-released/

Postby Mercen-X » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:27 am

God, I hope that's not Mako's new voice.
I just love how people put commas, in places they so obviously, do not belong.

I don't know about you, but I love the Young Justice animated series.
So I became the 44,901st signer of this petition to bring the series back.
Skree

Postby Princess » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:29 pm

it's supposed to be a "younger" voice
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mercen-X » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:05 am

Eh?

Skree

Postby Princess » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:32 pm

...seriously? It's him in the past. Three years ago. They have a younger voice for him. In the actual series, it's the same voice as Book 1.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mercen-X » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:25 am

What story are they telling by going back three years? When was this even mentioned?

PS: I hope you're not talking about Republic City, because Mako's voice sounds the same there, not younger. I'm talking about the trailer you posted.

Skree

Postby Princess » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:08 am

He has the same voice as book 1 in the trailer. The backstory is Republic City Hussle, I just posted it.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mercen-X » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:25 pm

Are you being serious? Are you tone deaf? Mako's voice is absolutely not the same in the trailer. It's almost as if it's being played at a higher speed just in that one instant. I'm hoping it is a fan-dub. The RCH video sounds more like Mako and how the hell can you say it sounds younger?

Skree

Postby Hiroko » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:38 pm

The trailer the user posted was sped up in order to avoid copyright issues, it seems, according to the Youtube comments. If you pay attention, all their voices sound a bit higher than usual, including Korra and Bolin as well as Mako.
The Sentimental One

Postby Biostar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Apparently the person who uploaded that video sped it up so all the voices became squeakier (which explains a lot). Here's a better version.

Just a misunderstanding.

Postby Princess » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Oh, woops. I just posted the trailer, didn't realize they upped the pitch. I saw the original the day it was posted, which is why I know it's the same voice. Kinda obvious they upped the pitch though, so I don't understand how you thought it was "changed". They all sound different. Except maybe Ikki. She's still got that annoying high pitched voice.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mercen-X » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Well, for what I know of the voices, only the narrator and Mako sounded noticeably different. Bolin is whiny and Korra is a girl so their voices don't really change much.

PS. I apologize if I sounded like a prick. I get combative when it feels like someone is talking down to me. Not that you were, I just misinterpreted.

By the way, my initial post about Mako's voice was a joke pointing out how funny it sounded. Although I was legitimately concerned. Thankfully Stuff then proceeded to exacerbate my confusion. :unsure: *sigh* good times.

Skree

Postby Grieffon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:10 pm

New episode in less than 1 hour.

Have a bunch of stream links here

Postby Mir@k » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Cool man than-SHIT i'm late. I'm guessing somebody must have made a recording of the streams but i can't find them.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grieffon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Watch before it goes down folks

For episode 2, there's a stream recording: http://wetvall.weebly.com/legend-of-kor ... pirit.html

No HD yet though.

I really hope Unalaq doesn't turn out to be a spiritual version of Amon.   

Postby Mir@k » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:37 pm

I still can't think of mako as anything other than a douchebag.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Q.U. » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:28 am

3... 2... 1... Rant time.

I am losing most of my will to keep watching this series. I mean, it's like the writers don't even bother to try and make it exciting, surprising, and interesting. You can always say "hey, they never expected to have a 2nd season, so it's ok if it's a little bad here and there", but for god's sake the 1st season is almost just as bad in that regard.

From the very 1st episode, it becomes obvious who the main baddies are. Like, they are wearing an ID tag with "the bad guy" on them. Now Amon being the main bad guy was fine, he was the last goal to beat, and the interesting stuff happened on the way to the inevitable end. But Tarlock? For the love of god, why make the bad guy who's supposed to be an "undercover bad guy" so obviously bad? He was so easy to see through it makes everyone who didn't a retard automatically. And of course, the moment Tenzin or Korra's dad distrust someone they are obviously and clearly baddies. It's the same in both seasons, the baddie is instantly recognisable. No suspense, no surprise.
Admittedly, they did try to add some surprise, like Tarlock and Amon being brothers and what not, good, but not good enough. Then there's the better hidden bad guy, as Hiroshi Sato. And hey, the idea was adequate, but they didn't even let it sink in. He got introduced in one episode, and in like what? One more episode he's already a suspicious guy, because Korra said so, and Korra is the good guy so she must be right. Right? Just like Tenzin is right about Tarlock, and Korra's dad Tonraq about his brother Unalaq. The moment a main surely good character makes a serious face at someone it becomes instantly obvious that they will play a bad guy role at one point. Why is that a thing? Why does it always have to be this obvious? Why not add a character who can actually properly pretend to be a good guy and fool everyone before he backstabs them? Why are all the baddies so obviously transparent? Some of them can be, of course, but for all of them to be so easy to spot and so quick to burn out? Where's the suspense in that?

I can already call it. Unalaq was the one who arranged for Tonraq's fuck up, maybe by summoning the spirits, maybe by actually hiring those bandits, to get his brother out of the way and become the chief. Because the Tonraq is Korra's dad, so ofc he couldn't have made such a big fuckup. He was played, and thus is innocent and a great guy... He has to be. Because the characters are ultimately just black and white. No matter how tragic backstory you give them (amon+tarlock) or how you make them justify their actions (hiroshi).   

(spoiler because I don't want to hear bitching about "you ruined it". Although if anyone doesn't see this coming from a mile away shouldn't be technically able to read anyway.)

This could really have been so much more. The last airbender was so much better in that regard. There was the obvious baddie, the leader of the fire nation. But then there were also characters like Zuko, and Mai. People who could swing either way for either team, and actually went on a journey that changed them. I wish the legend of Korra at least tried to leave itself some ties to mend in future seasons (if there are any) so that they can actually make something deeper happen with the characters. So far it's just teenage Korra throwing tantrums and siding with the so very inconspicuous baddie to end up realising that her teachers/mentors were right all along and has to fight her way through it again. Is it really going to be the exact same theme for both seasons of Korra?
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:53 am

One point to add, I feel the characters aren't even people. With Aang, all his friends did what their characters wanted to do, they all played who they were. Here, the second Korra makes her decision, everyone's okay with it. It's like their own personal feelings and opinions just drop, they become mindless NPCs.

The whole bring spirits to peace thing too; forcing spirits to peacefully leave? Either they didn't think that through, or there's going to be another reiteration on what that is.

I enjoyed Last Airbender because it wasn't just about The Last Airbender. Everyone in it made their choices, everyone in it had something to do, everyone in it was affected by what was happening.
In Korra? It's all about Korra. Ik they switched to Asami and Jinora, but wtf did they do? Asami gave back some comedy, the drama they tried to inject lasted a few seconds. Jinora, nothing actually happened, she walked around saw a statue glow. Remember how many fucking people saw a glowing statue by the beginning of S2 for Last Airbender?
I know Korra is learning her spiritual side now, but still, it's irritating.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grieffon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Another thing is that despite having 6 months to train while possessing the avatar state, Korra's bending is still boring, involving nothing but blasts. At least her father thought of encasing the spirit in ice. Even in terms of power (instead of skill), her bending still doesn't look as powerful as the firebenders of TLA. Maybe they don't want her to look too OP early, but then what's the point of giving her the Avatar state? I don't think it is necessary as a plot device.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:34 pm

Early? It's season 2 already, and she has the Avatar State. All she has is her physical skill over the elements. She has no excuse for not pulling all the fanciest moves in history.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby OrangeBee » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:01 pm

The first episode was good but whenever Korra whined about being protected and training all the time. Why would you complain? When she complain about beating the baddie at the last episode, She had help, She really couldn't have done it without anyone. And the being protected part, The baddie at the end already proved that their are people stronger than Korra, So If one of those dark spirits are as strong as Korra and have the upper-hand.... Well... Than she's facked...
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

Postby Mir@k » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:00 am

OrangeBee wrote:Why would you complain?
Because teenagers wouldn't watch the show if korra were anything but a whiny little shit that actually learned from her fuckups. They wouldn't be able to relate since you know, she's supposed to be a teen and that's the teen thing that teens like to do when they're teening and shit: Disregard logic, consider every piece of advice that doesn't conform to a childs perspective of "fun times" an aggresion and/or oppresion, be immature and/or a brat, fuck up a lot, omg bois ♥, the usual bidimensional, uninteresting trope for teenage behavior. Who wants interesting characters when you can overload yourself with ALL THOSE CHANGES THAT COME WITH PUBERTY! Nothing like sports, driving, reckless behavior and hormones to get into the We Are Nickelodeon Teens bive you know what i mean? Really we should be grateful season 2 of Korra wasn't done as a comedy live action series like drake & josh and co.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby OrangeBee » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:57 pm

I don't know If you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.

Anyway, the animation looks good and you can't just judge a cartoon on the first episode (Except Johnny Test)

So let us just see where this goes.
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)