RolePlay - Idea Board

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: RolePlay - Idea Board

Postby Sigment » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:43 pm

I got a lot of things on my mind right now, but I am trying to work out the idea. However, I am also putting thought into the idea of an Armored Core RP. It would likely not be as in-depth towards AC customization as the game would would be, but it would be interesting to try it. Here is the Armored Core Wikia, if anyone's interested.

Anyway, I'm tossing both ideas around in my head, among other things. If I decide on anything, I'll let you guys know.
Last edited by Sigment on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Resident Smartass

Postby Tenshi Nova » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:52 pm

I should start reading Soul Eater before the end of the week, so I'll be able to provide more thought on the matter by the end of next week.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Valmer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:41 am

Been a long time since I even had any interest in RP. And yet, I seem to have an idea forming gradually. I'm thinking an alternate reality modern noir style murder mystery(wow, that's a mouthful). Does that sound at all interesting to anyone?

Postby Vegedus » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Eh, kinda depends on the alternate reality, really. The rest is slightly interesting, but pretty generic.

Regarding Soul Eater, one thing I think is problematic that in the show, it's never clear what the Weapons do exactly. It's implied that it takes great skill to be a weapon, but beyond the initial transformation, the Weapons are never shown doing anything besides shout advice while naked, and play some piano sometimes in Soul's case. As far as what we're shown, the Meister is the one who does all the actual fighting, so being a Weapon sounds piss boring, unless you do something about that. One solution, as Sig says, would have one person playing both. That would also save a lot of time on the transformation since one person can do it all in one go instead of:

Player1: Hey, Weapon, fighty time, transform now!

*Two days later*

Player2: Okay, Mr Meister, traaaansform.

*Two days later*

Player1: Okay, we are ready to fight, yeah!
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Valmer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:40 pm

Edit: Apologies for any weird formatting. These forums don't always play nice with my phone.

I'm sure it'll overall be a pretty generic idea, but I'm not looking to come up with something innovative. Everything's been done in some form, really.

Anyway, I thought I'd take a little inspiration from Shadowrun and Person of Interest(tv show where a machine is created that can predict crimes and terrorist attacks before they happen. The designer and a former CIA operative use it to help people).

The differences would be that instead of mutations creating new races, magic and mythical creatures were brought into the
world through a sort of merging of realms. Some people who develop special abilities through this event start getting messages from an unknown source that directs them to scenes where a crime is about to occur(up to the player to be one of these people or not)

The main plot would revolve around a well-known vigilante being framed for an innocent person's murder, and him trying to prove his innocence.

The plot's a "been there, done that" deal, I know, and there are more details I need to iron out, but the crime-predicting machine element plus random run-ins with a fugitive could add some spice, assuming I can pull those off well(pretty sure I can).

Postby Sigment » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:25 pm

@Veg
Weapons are born with the innate ability to transform into their weapon form, and they do not choose what that form is when they are born. As for the way the RP itself would work, I have decided that, if I did start it up, each player would play as a Weapon-Meister team. That way, they can create the team they want, and character updates would also be much smoother.
The Resident Smartass

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:24 pm

I also suggested that people can choose to be either weapon or meister.
To follow up on that, I didn't get a chance before. They either pick their partners in an OC, or create a new that gets introduced after they enter school.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigment » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:55 pm

There's still the issue of consistent updates for the pairs. Overall, it's simpler to have a pair controlled by a single player.
The Resident Smartass

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:10 pm

My reasoning is bcuz some people wouldn't want to make 2 characters right off the bat. Which is why ppl could make a single character, and once comfortable, they can go for the second(skipping the needed IC time ofc).
With partnering of 2 players, that's up to them to decide. Someone who posts less frequently, would obviously either talk to their partner about decisions. Partnership, Teamwork. All that stuff. They can leave it to one person that's more consistent, if it's an action sequence.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:10 pm

I always figured in the show, that it's mainly the weapon's job to concentrate on the magical shit. Like the transformations and things are it's job and, maybe it also has control too, so it's not just the meister's skill, it's the weapon's will too.

Anyway, I'd say you could do it so people can make two characters and partner them up together, or decide to make one and try and to join up with other peoples characters, their decision.
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Vegedus » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:03 pm

MQuinny1234 wrote:I always figured in the show, that it's mainly the weapon's job to concentrate on the magical shit. Like the transformations and things are it's job and, maybe it also has control too, so it's not just the meister's skill, it's the weapon's will too.

Yeah, me too, but it's not something that shows outwardly or that you can spend much time posting about. It's not interesting to make multiple posts about "I concentrate hard to maintain my form".

But yeah, some people probably won't mind so sure, make it an option. It might still be a good idea to warn players of this, though.

Sigment Kurosai wrote:@Veg
Weapons are born with the innate ability to transform into their weapon form, and they do not choose what that form is when they are born.

Which just reinforces my point that being a weapon is piss boring, if there's no possibility of spontaneity or modifying the transformation.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:52 pm

There are a few weapons without meisters...just throwing out there.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Scrambles » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:54 pm

So how does this work cause I gots ideas.

Postby Tuor » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Post them. Look at the way other people have presented their ideas and do the same c:
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Scrambles » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:22 pm

I tried this idea on another forum but it sort of died, partly due to my inexperience at hosting a roleplay.

The setting is in modern times, set in a major US city (Im thinking maybe LA, NY or Boston) during a time when a new drug has flooded the streets. No one knows where it came from or how it is made, all attempts at replication have made toxic substances. This drug, known as Ambrosia gives the effects both a hallucinogen and a stimulant, making it much more dangerous.

Those who take this drug are addicted practically from the first dose, causing a surge of crime in recent months. While this has made law enforcement officials on edge, it is not the worst part of the problem. Among a very small percentage of those who take Ambrosia, the drug seems to rewrite and infuse a persons genetic code, giving them inhuman abilities. The government has taken to calling these individuals Godlings, as some have gained powers that can cause massive devastation.

In response to these super powered drug addicts, the US government has created a task force of the best law men/women to track down and detain all Godlings deemed too dangerous to the public. Those who are taken are never heard from again, their identities erased from all records.

As for the Godlings themselves, the reason some gain these abilities and most don’t is still a mystery. The only thing that is certain is that once you become a Godling, if you stop taking Ambrosia for more the a few weeks, you being to take ill and eventually die. The addictive nature of the drug becomes a part of the individual, mingling with their blood and altering their brain chemistry in different ways. Those with odd habits turn to obsession, anger problems become uncontrollable violent outburst etc.

Players can choose to play as a Godling or part of the government task force trying to capture said Godlings. Powers can vary in range but their seems to be a correlation between a Godlings strength and the change to the person they were before they took the drug.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Sounds like pvp situations would occur quite often.
How would that go about?
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Scrambles » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:37 pm

This is mostly a concept, the forum I tried to do this on didnt have the attention to detail that snafu does so I havent developed the pvp system yet.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Sounds fun to mess in.
Maybe after some more details, more people would be interested.
Only questions I personally have are...
What stops the drug from mixing outside the city? A drug like that must be wanted all over the place.
How does the task force combat the Godlings? If there's high casualty rates, you could have fun killing off beloved npcs :3
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Scrambles » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:50 pm

I forgot to add a few things.

The drug isnt only in the city that the RP would start in, its almost global, the story just takes place in america.

The Task force combats them by having Godlings of their own, though probaby only about 5, a low amount they can monitor and keep track of constantly. They would be volunteers who agree to take the drug in the chance they become Godlings as part of a black ops program. The powers are limited in that the stronger you are, the more mentally unstable you are. Those classified as WMD's are completely insane and are usually tracked down and captured or killed.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Sounds fun. I'll be looking forward to it :3
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Scrambles » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Im hoping to have a co-gm, someone who has hosted RP's before to help get in to the swing of things.

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:45 pm

I wouldn't mind helping out. It sounds like an interesting idea and reminds me of Heroes.

Postby Sigment » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Thumbs up on this, sounds like fun.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Scrambles » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:16 pm

I'd welcome any help you can give Blood.

Postby Sigment » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:27 pm

I meant you have my approval for the OOC. You need four approvals before you can start the OOC... right? That being said, if you want me as a GM, I'll help if I can.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing