My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Biostar » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:24 pm

Mon-Kitsune wrote:We saw a pony with a messed up eye and immediately though "something wrong in her head" (as opposed to, say "okay, a pony with a lazy eye").

Her popularity did start on 4chan. That association was predictable. It's only because of the more "sensitive" fans that it was blown out of proportion to being ableism.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:16 pm

@Mad-Mutt I think the part of the difference with Snips and Snails IS that they are kids, there can always be the argument that "they'll grow out of it eventually". Also while they are a bit on the "slow" side that really isn't exactly the same thing as being "minimally exceptional". Plus of course Snips and Snails are sort of bad guys; it's OK for BAD guys to be dumb.

@Kusang. It interesting you bring up Goofy since, in some of Disney's iterations, he is ALSO supposed to be a single parent (Goof Troop/ The Goofy Movies, of course but also a few of the older ones don't have Mrs. Goof either)
Stimpy I think got by a lot because it was a character piece. Stimpy wasn't just some random dumb guy, he was a Stooge (that's what the shows creators said was their inspiration deciding it would be fun to put a caricature of Larry Fine (of the Three Stooges) with a caricature of Peter Lorre). Ren thinks Stimpy is an idiot but that's part of the joke, because of his ego, he thinks EVERYONE is an idiot.
Patrick gets away with it by contrast. Because he is so dimwitted, he makes SpongeBob look bright by comparison and comparatively normal (without him SpongeBob would probably be seen a lot less favorably than he is, both within the show and by the watchers.
I think it really all DOES boil down to the voice in the cameo. If the voice actor had KNOWN Derpy was a girl, and voiced her as such (the way she had been the last time she spoke) I think there would have not been as much backlash. Derp came off as not merely "a little different" but as "needs assisted living retarded" and (at least to me) hearing impaired as well. Also as much as I hate to say it maybe we really should have accepted their proposed choice of "Ditzy Doo" as her name. Though to me at least, calling a female character (especially one who is technically blonde) "ditzy" is probably almost as insulting as calling her a derp, if not more so
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Dibullba » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:52 pm

I am not gonna delve into the whole Derpy incident too deeply, but just gonna share my thought with it. I was not against Hasbro changing it because I understood they did not have a choice. I also do not blame the people that were offended by it because they most likely did not understand the situation. However, the thing that annoys me when it comes to the society we live in is people seem offended by just about anything which harms creativity in general and at times to extremes through religious belief. If you look at other countries and what they put up in media, it becomes apparent on how insecure our society seems to be. I personally work with people whom are mentally handicapped in being able to give them normal lives. To have a character like Derpy become a semi-recurring character in the show could have been a positive thing in light of her character. From the short time she had been on screen, she was unintentionally destructive with good intentions and had a lovable personality. Even when the town hall had been destroyed, nobody blamed Derpy for it which shows acceptance for who she was. Hopefully in the future, new generations will come to learn to take time understanding things rather than making bold statements on snap judgement.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:06 am

Yeah, the Derpy incident is very old anyways.

Not sure if you guys watched this yet but this is a good review about MLP, the fandom, and society. :D

"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:39 am

It still confuses me how the voice actor thought Derpy was male... That's the biggest thing that bothers me really. Like, she has the build of a mare, and like 95% of the voice acting in most every episode is female voice acting. Who exactly told her that she was male? And who screened her voice acting and didn't notice it was kind of off for a female character compared to the rest of the voices used with side characters? I do agree if they had worked on it a little more it wouldn't have been an issue, since it was a nod to the fans so making sure it was done right feels like it would have been important to them. Also, the first thing I heard about complaints were "soccer moms" saying it was offensive, people outside the fandom. I knew there was (and still is) a group of people in the fandom that didn't like Derpy, but I remember being told it was outside sources complaining about it that convinced them to change it. Not force, convince. They didn't have to change anything. To me, even though I went to school and even still have friends who are handicapped, it didn't seem offensive. It was just a character acting silly in a cartoon.

All I'm saying is I'm more confused than angry. Maybe I'm too innocent to see how "offensive" it was. Or maybe the world is just too cynical to think like I do. It's all just confusing why this is even an issue to begin with...

Anywho, after Kusang's last post on the last page I found this.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:05 am

People are more more cynical for their own good. Hopefully, they'll be enlightened in the future. :]

@Sefrol: Yeah, I really do wish these brony creators make more content that reflect what the show actually is.

Maybe we can brainstorm something. If you guys would write a "show-accurate" storyline. What would you write about? Remember that Derpy skit spoofing the Goofy's ski episode. Would watch something like that--but with Derpy?
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:13 am

I loved that thing waaaaaay too much.

And actually, earlier today I was thinking of Derpy. In a lot of her appearances in season 2 she was doing a lot of random things that got me thinking what they meant. Her in the well, in the apple bobbing tub with bags as a costume, on the phone in the Becoming Popular song (still in costume I believe) and other such crazy happenings. Wanted to come up with something that explains this or that, or even all of them with the main cast's antics being in the background.
An Optimist

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:57 am

What makes the voice thing even more baffling is that, at the time, Derpy had ALREADY had a spoken line (that's how we got the Muffin thing in the first place), she ALREADY had a voice. So getting the voice the way it was not only required some rather odd choices on the part of casting, and a mistake on the part of the voice actor, but ignorance of the shows history. Okay at the time of the Muffin incident, no-one probably intended for Derpy to ever become a front screen character, but when the did, given that you'd have thought they would ret-con (ret-canon?) that voice to be hers. If I was a little more paranoid (who am I kidding there is no way for me to be even a LITTLE more paranoid than I am) I'd almost thing the shows casters engineered the whole incident as a way to punish the Brony community ("You see what happens when we listen to you?")
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:22 am

I want an answer. Has anyone actually came up to them and ask "why this voice?" or "who told her it was a guy?" I think after so long an explanation is an order. But again, with it being so long, maybe those answers are lost or they don't want to talk about it anymore. Would be nice though.

Also, still thinking about that Derpy story thing. Thinking of a name something along the lines of "Derpy's Day" being a series. Just little minute or two (or even less) snippet stories for all her cameos in every episode she's in that can be thought over.

Also also, I remember Derpy and Carrot Top are popular for being friends and such but... why again? Just saw it start a long time ago with the common thing about Derpy raiding her fridge. But where did that come from exactly?
An Optimist

Postby Dibullba » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:15 am

Sorry for the late response to the Derpy voice. It has been addressed by the person whom voiced her, aka Tabitha St. Germaine. The way voice actresses approach a character voice is not by looking at the animation itself to figure out a voice. In fact, Tara Strong puts it bluntly that when they look back on the voices they applied they tend to see errors which makes the experience unenjoyable for them. Tabitha approached Derpy with the voice of a friend she knew in high school that had downs syndrome. The person of course was male, but she was not actually aware that Derpy was a female. Regardless of that fact, she had a respectable approach to it.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:44 am

But still, that thought in itself is kind of inconsiderate to the character. Who exactly goes into a voice recording session thinking "I'm going to voice this character like my down syndromed friend"? It's hard to believe a talented voice actress would make such a mistake, seeing again as most every character on the show in and out of the foreground has been female and the only excuse for a female VA for a male role would often be for a child character. With that in mind you would accommodate for the difference. There should have been some sort of direction, because this sort of mistake with male and female hasn't been made before to my knowledge with any of the other secondary or one lined characters in the show. Personally I had no qualms about the voice at all, but knowing these little details only makes me even more confused as to why such and such decision was made for the voice since it sounds like a time bomb waiting to happen even before it would have aired.
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:48 am

No one told Tabitha that Derpy was female? That's odd. She should have been informed of that. Maybe Grey DeLisle should voice Derpy.

No, wait--
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:26 am

NO, THAT'S PERFECT! SHE'S PERFECT! CONTACT HASBRO! WE'RE MAKING IT CANON!
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:44 am

"The Pervert Alarm, for sure, went off when I first heard about it."

Oh Ashleigh, you're so funny!
Not-an-animator

Postby Krest » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:46 pm

BRUTALCORN IS REAL!!! :O
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:19 pm

Anywho, after Kusang's last post on the last page I found this.

That was my reaction as well.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:32 pm

I want that "We must science this at once" shirt.

EDIT: OH MY FRICKEN GOD GUYS! LOOK!

An Optimist

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:23 am

Oh hey. Gorden Ramsey is a pony now.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:51 am

I'm waiting on them to make a "Weird uncle Al" pony.

But god, this comic series is just full of fun stuff.
An Optimist

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:56 am

Is this from the official comic?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:05 am

To my knowledge, yes. They've had an assortment of references in the comics like this. First one I posted about was the Tara Strong pony they put in.
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:32 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:NO, THAT'S PERFECT! SHE'S PERFECT! CONTACT HASBRO! WE'RE MAKING IT CANON!

Imagine Derpy wearing Azula's costume...

Holy. Shit.

That image of the comic... Is that the lastest MLP issue after the Big Mac one?
Not-an-animator

Postby Grieffon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:22 am

It's from the Celestia micro comic.

The comic can get away with any reference it seems.

Even the more "offensive" ones (that's Honey Boo Boo in case you don't know the show).

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:55 am

Oh god, this is actually worse than Tabitha's voice for Derpy. She looks like Egoraptor. No offense.
Not-an-animator

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:02 am

Makes one wonder if someday the comic is going to take Time Turner and say "Ha-ha just kidding about the name, he really IS Doctor Whooves" .

This also makes me feel a bit better about the fact that my own Calvados always end up coming off as a bad Antonio Banderas (as Puss in Boots) impression and the fact that Rictus always ends up sounding like Mark Hamill's Joker. If this is the standard the series is working from, they'll fit in to the fandom just fine

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)