Any Type A Anime that's great to watch?

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Any Type A Anime that's great to watch?

Postby Wulfespinndel » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Let's begin with a classification of a "Type A Otaku" as according to 2ch:
2ch wrote:- A person who simply enjoys “anime.”
- Is proud of Japan’s anime.
- Evaluates anime based on direction, voice acting, art, etc. (I'm not that strict, or perhaps I don't care about this at all, maybe I should?)
- Hates shallow anime with no real content. (same as the 3rd Point)
- Story emphasis >>>>> Moe anime. (That's me!)
- A recent example would Higashi no Eden (Eden of the East). Fans of anime like Lain or Ghost in the Shell would probably be this kind. (I watched two of the three mentioned here. Going to check Eden of the East out, but I gotta finish Spice & Wolf and Appleseed XIII first whenever I feel like it.)

I fit in under this type of otaku the most, however, according to Artefact of Sankaku Complex, he describes this type as more of a "fan" than an "otaku", which is something I see myself as more correctly, and it's a fair description.

So, any recommendations?
Reset. Recalibrate.

Re: Any Type A Anime that's great to watch?

Postby Krest » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:05 pm

There's a thread for this already: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55054
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Wulfespinndel » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:09 pm

No, that's a spoiler thread Krest. I'm asking everyone here if there are any anime that fit under the Type A guidelines here that are good to watch.

It's also not the first time I've asked for any recommendations. I think this thread will be better than the last one.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Krest » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Bellorosso del Fiore wrote:No, that's a spoiler thread Krest. I'm asking everyone here if there are any anime that fit under the Type A guidelines here that are good to watch.

It's also not the first time I've asked for any recommendations. I think this thread will be better than the last one.

You asked before in the anime thread? Because most of the time all we do is recommended stuff.

--

In that thread I already recommended "Lost Seven" and "A Fairytale For A Demon Lord". Both fit the above. Also, Ketchup Ninja is a new one that's gotten quite popular. All three of these are manga, though - not anime.

Postby Dibullba » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:36 pm

Here is a list of anime's I enjoyed, though not all of them will meet your criteria. If you are curious about any of these, feel free to ask or you can look them up yourself:

A Channel, A Little Snow Fairy Named Sugar, Accel World, Acchi Kocchi, Ano Natsu de Matteru, Another, Azumanga Daioh, B Gata H Kei, Baka to Test to Shokanjuu, Btooom!, Chobits, Code Lyoko, Cowboy Bebop, Cross Game, Cyborg 009, Daily Lives of High School Boys, Death Note, Detective Conan, Digimon S1-3, Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragon Crisis, Elfen Lied, Fairy Tail, Fooly Cooly (FLCL), Fractale, Furuba (Fruits Basket), Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal ALchemist: Brotherhood, Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO), Giant Killing, Ginga e Kickoff, Golden Boy, Hanamaru Kindergarten, Hellsing, Heroman, Highschool of the Dead, Inuyasha, Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Kaito Kid, Kaleido Star, Kami Nomi zo Shitru Sekai (World God Only Knows), Kanokon, Kiniro Mosaic, KissXSis, Kotoura-san, Kuroko no Basuke, Ladies vs. Butlers, Lucky Star, Lupin III, Mitsudomoe, Mitsudomeo: Zouryouchuu, MM!, Naruto, Naruto Shippuden, Nichijou, Nyan Koi, One Piece, Ouran High School Host Club, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Paranoia Agent, Princess Tutu, Rosario+Vampire, Rosario+Vampire Capu 2, Ruroni Kenshin, Samurai 7, Samurai Champloo, Shingeki no Kyojin, Shinryaku Ika Musume, Shugo Chara, Shugo Chara Doki!, Sonic X (DEATH TO 4KIDS DUB!!!), Soul Eater, Special A, Tenchi in Tokyo, Tenchi Muyo, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Trigun, Welcome to the N.H.K, Yumeiro Patissiere, Yumekui Merry, Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited Hyoubu Kyosuke

Postby Wulfespinndel » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:45 pm

Krest wrote:
Bellorosso del Fiore wrote:No, that's a spoiler thread Krest. I'm asking everyone here if there are any anime that fit under the Type A guidelines here that are good to watch.

You asked before in the anime thread? Because most of the time all we do is recommended stuff.

--

In that thread I already recommended "Lost Seven" and "A Fairytale For A Demon Lord". Both fit the above. Also, Ketchup Ninja is a new one that's gotten quite popular. All three of these are manga, though - not anime.

No, I am referring to a thread I made months prior to this one. Back then, it's likely that I never knew you either let alone acknowledge you were in this forum at all. How long was it until you became prominent, I don't know.

I'll just go through all the trouble Dib. Not everything has to meet. I would have loved it if you organized your list, but I'll do that myself.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Krest » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:49 pm

I agree with the Welcome to the NHK suggestion.

I'm also a fan of Last Exile - though it isn't Japanese. (Despite this, it's better than most anime out there.)

Oh, and watch Wolf's Rain if you haven't. The only anime sadder than that one is Fafner in the Azure.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Can you guys make sure whatever you recommend isn't ongoing like Naruto and One Piece?

Also, is there an site targeted towards Anime fans where I can keep track of what I watch? It would really help. Thanks guys.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Krest » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Um... lol Yeah there are some but they're alot like 4chan.

I'm pretty sure the ones in my last post finished already.

In the post before that, Lost Seven is 100% finished. So is Fairytale though that's one story in a series - just not an arc in the same one. Ketchup Ninja is ongoing but the writer just took a break. He released each of the current 26 chapters a day or so away from one another. Like, superfast. He deserves the break.

Postby Dibullba » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:04 pm

I believe myanime.net has cataloging

Edit: Fairy Tail will be coming back soon with a new season. It went into hiatus for a few reasons.

Postby Krest » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Dibullba wrote:I believe myanime.net has cataloging

Edit: Fairy Tail will be coming back soon with a new season. It went into hiatus for a few reasons.

I said Fairytale (for a Demon Lord) not Fairytail. They're completely different.

Postby ari-6 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Dibullba wrote:Here is a list of anime's I enjoyed, though not all of them will meet your criteria. If you are curious about any of these, feel free to ask or you can look them up yourself:

A Channel, A Little Snow Fairy Named Sugar, Accel World, Acchi Kocchi, Ano Natsu de Matteru, Another, Azumanga Daioh, B Gata H Kei, Baka to Test to Shokanjuu, Btooom!, Chobits, Code Lyoko, Cowboy Bebop, Cross Game, Cyborg 009, Daily Lives of High School Boys, Death Note, Detective Conan, Digimon S1-3, Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragon Crisis, Elfen Lied, Fairy Tail, Fooly Cooly (FLCL), Fractale, Furuba (Fruits Basket), Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal ALchemist: Brotherhood, Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO), Giant Killing, Ginga e Kickoff, Golden Boy, Hanamaru Kindergarten, Hellsing, Heroman, Highschool of the Dead, Inuyasha, Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Kaito Kid, Kaleido Star, Kami Nomi zo Shitru Sekai (World God Only Knows), Kanokon, Kiniro Mosaic, KissXSis, Kotoura-san, Kuroko no Basuke, Ladies vs. Butlers, Lucky Star, Lupin III, Mitsudomoe, Mitsudomeo: Zouryouchuu, MM!, Naruto, Naruto Shippuden, Nichijou, Nyan Koi, One Piece, Ouran High School Host Club, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Paranoia Agent, Princess Tutu, Rosario+Vampire, Rosario+Vampire Capu 2, Ruroni Kenshin, Samurai 7, Samurai Champloo, Shingeki no Kyojin, Shinryaku Ika Musume, Shugo Chara, Shugo Chara Doki!, Sonic X (DEATH TO 4KIDS DUB!!!), Soul Eater, Special A, Tenchi in Tokyo, Tenchi Muyo, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Trigun, Welcome to the N.H.K, Yumeiro Patissiere, Yumekui Merry, Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited Hyoubu Kyosuke
I apologise if I am mistaken but I think a few of these series are type B. I am glad to see someone else who has seen Paranoia Agent.
Last edited by ari-6 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby Tenshi Nova » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:59 pm

I didn't really look at it, but I saw Naruto somewhere in there. So I'm going to assume that the list isn't very critical. Just uninformed guessing, pay no mind.
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Dibullba » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Yeah, I just copy pasted that from somewhere else I had posted it. So just consider me lazy in not checking it for meeting requirements. Type B should be rather obvious aside from maybe Detective Conan.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:37 pm

Yo, high 5! The lazy way is always the best way!
I recognize your name, but I don't think I see you post. I believe I see it often on the MLP thread, but I have barely any experience with MLP, so I don't frequent that thread.
You should post in other places c:
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Krest » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Last Exile is a AAA.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Fractale

I've been looking for this one. Watched it a few days ago, liked the first episode, considered it, then bam I forgot the name...

Not important for me to say but I'm currently watching Rozen Maiden (English Dub). It's great that I found Fractale again since I now know what to watch next after. I won't be keeping up with the 2013 version either until it's finished or until it reaches at least every 21-25 episodes just in case I fall behind.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Slendy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:06 pm

First, it's always helpful to list what anime series you've seen so we don't recommend them.

I recently watched Steins;Gate and absolutely loved it. It's got an amazing plot and character development, though it starts off a little slow at first. It's 24 episodes long with an OVA set after the main story. The first half is spent introducing the characters and their relationships with each other. The plot is a bit slow at this point, but that's ok because you have to establish that connection with the characters first. In the second half, the plot skyrockets and keeps up an exciting pace until the very end. The main focus of the plot is about time travel and parallel realities and the setting is in Japan in the year 2010. Whether you enjoy sci-fi themes like time travel or just want a good story, I recommend Steins;Gate.
Denizen of Darkness

Postby Dibullba » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:13 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:Yo, high 5! The lazy way is always the best way!
I recognize your name, but I don't think I see you post. I believe I see it often on the MLP thread, but I have barely any experience with MLP, so I don't frequent that thread.
You should post in other places c:

I used to post in other threads, but conversation is not what it used to be. Korra would probably be the only other thread close to my interest, though a year or more ago I would make discussion topics kind of like Nostalgia Thread.

Postby Cerulean » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:13 am

Paranoia Agent was pretty good now that I think back on it, I sort of want to watch it again now.

Most of my recommendations were already covered by Dibullba, but I'd like to add Kimi to Boku, Chihayafuru, Hanasaku Iroha, Ano Hana, Ano Natsu, Ben-To, Tales of the Abyss, Honey & Clover, True Tears, Hataraku Maou-sama, and Skip Beat.

I've heard that Tsuritama and Mahou Shoujo Madoka are really good, but I haven't gotten around to either finishing them or watching them just yet. Myanimelist is what I used in the past to keep track of anime/manga, but I haven't updated it in a while (no particular reason as to why, just haven't had the time to do it).
Last edited by Cerulean on Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:26 am

Madoka comes close to being my most favourite series but that may be because I really enjoy that kind of story. I just wish that I had not read so many spoilers before finally deciding to watch it. Really looking forward to the move. I was a little unsure about making a new ending but I trust the four creators know what they are doing. Part of me hopes the ending of the movie will be less soul crushing than the anime.
Eye of the Tiger

Postby Cerulean » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:00 am

Another one that you (and maybe you too ari) might enjoy, Shinsekai yori (it took forever for the name to come to me). I kept up with it through various blogs, but really want to watch this one all the way through. I've read (and heard) a lot of people say that this anime is simply amazing, and that one of the best things about it is the fact that it was adapted from a novel (and not a light novel or manga). The spoilers sort of ruined the surprises for me, so I'm waiting a while before I try to watch it (again).
Last edited by Cerulean on Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Wulfespinndel » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:23 am

Anime adapted from a Novel? Sign me up.

Just read the summary as well, gotta make sure I don't forget this one. I'll just put my thread in my watch for future reference.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Cerulean » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:21 am

Another one that came to mind, Aku no Hana. Do not rely on the manga illustrations for reference when you make plans to watch this. I guess the best word to use to describe the style would be realistic style anime (it is no where near moe-blob, at least not in the sense I recognize it)? It also employs the use of rotoscoping in order to make the scenes feel that much more real. Artistic choices aside, though, I hear that the story is fantastic in this one as well. Another in my must watch list.

Also going to add Mawaru Penguindrum to the recommendations. I haven't watched this one at all, but a friend raved on and on about the amount of symbolism included in the story when it aired.

I think you might enjoy these two anime as well ari

Another tidbit about Shinsekai yori, the manga is apparently loosely (at best) based on the actual novel. So I don't recommend trying the manga out before the anime. Last time I checked, a group was trying to get donations together so that the novel could be fully translated, not sure how that went.

Two more that I forgot to post earlier (that I also enjoyed): Sakamichi no Appollon (Kids on the Slope) and Natsuyuki Rendezvous.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Dibullba » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:43 am

It is interesting to compare the different adaptations you get from a single story. Some manga base themselves around novels. Anime often bases itself around manga. And on rare occassions Manga can even be based on an anime. It really brings to question what is the more enjoyable medium especially for the differences applied. A few good examples would be like Full Metal Alchemist breaking heavily off from the manga in terms of the story, but did well standing on its own. On the other hand you have an anime like Fruits Basket that infuriates me because of how they decided to end it which makes the manga way better. With the rare occasion you have the anime Princess Tutu which was based on a novel that then had a manga adaptation to which the manga was not as good as the anime. So it makes me curious as to all the factors that can affect a person's opinion on superiority.

Next

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)