Tower Jam (& "My 100th Abduction" devlog)

This forum can be a scary place, 'cause we got lax rules: let's see your war face. Take a breath, and roll the dice, you might find out we're really nice.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Tower Jam (& "My 100th Abduction" devlog)

Postby Mir@k » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:27 pm

I'm the type of person that feels better with like-minded people, and since i know there are excellent minds in here, i thought i'd share this.
http://towerjam.tumblr.com/

Using twine even those without programming knowledge can participate.
Shared this before in the talk thread but this is spam so yeah thanks guys c:
Last edited by Mir@k on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: Tower Jam

Postby BeeAre » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:51 pm

investigating, will report back with more information.

interesting. i think i am doing some of this with a story i'm writing. might want to share it with you, Mir@k. it's an original setting, though.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mir@k » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:54 pm

Specially thought of you. Twine is pretty much an engine you can use by just writing, so if you participated i'm sure whatever you made will be excellent.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Read your edit just now
Well if you want we can totally share what we do with each other, it's cool.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:23 am

I posted this in the bleedthread but maybe it would be good to put it here too.

Well i finished the main character of my tale.

She's an obvious parody of princess Peach in the style of paper mario, with my own details added in.
Help me name her, i'm between princess Bitterberry, princess Capulin, and princess Cookiedough.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BeeAre » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:23 am

:0) she looks cool. I personally like Capulin.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:05 am

Aw, she looks cute.

I didn't know you could draw Mir@k.

As for her name I'm kind of partial to Bitterberry since she's a Princess Peach parody. Or would that be too obvious? I also just think Princess Bitterberry just has a certain ring to it.
Bark

Postby Birdofterror » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:06 pm

Is there only one ending to Tower Jam right now? I tried it three times now, trying different approaches, all ending with the same conclusion.

As for the girl, you posted this is the Bleedthread as well so I'll post what I said there here. I'm partial to Bitterberry because it (while maintaining the fruit similarity) is a contrast to peach. While peaches are sweet, this berry is bitter.
Mad-Mutt wrote:I didn't know you could draw Mir@k.
Me either. You got any original Drawings, Mir?
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Q.U. » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:59 pm

I keep reading the thread title as "Toe Jam" and I keep getting disappointed.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Mir@k » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:33 pm

I've decided to keep Capulin as her name because it's a meaningful name, and only keen people will get the relationship between the word, what it represents and the person's looks.

@Birdot: Do you mean that the character is unoriginal because of the style used? If so then yes, it isn't original, however i did made her from scratch (i only used peach as visual reference) and gave her enough differing features so i can re-use the character in any media i want, just in another style.

Anyway, if it's original shit you want, this update's for you.

I've made up a minion-class creature to serve as this game's "koopa kingdom", these will serve as the only NPC's the princess will be able to interact with. The design is also a parody of the usual minion compendium, taking inspiration from Nintendo franchises, mashing up certain details of different foes found in the series. It takes visual cues resembling those of a kirby, buzzy beetle, a gyroid, and a spiny.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Birdofterror wrote:Is there only one ending to Tower Jam right now? I tried it three times now, trying different approaches, all ending with the same conclusion.
What? Are you sure what you're doing isn't playing the first game MADE FOR the Tower Jam, linked in the blog?

The "tower jam" is the name of the event. The game linked there is one of the entries into the event. c:
Birdofterror wrote:Me either. You got any original Drawings, Mir?
Click my sig.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:33 pm

Mir@k wrote:What? Are you sure what you're doing isn't playing the first game MADE FOR the Tower Jam, linked in the blog?
Oh, that's odd, if true. I just clicked on what you linked yesterday and followed things until I ended up at a game.

I was 99% certain that's what you were talking about. I mean, why else would I be relating it to text based choose your own adventure games. :unsure:

Though since it's still related to the event, it's fine.
Mir@k wrote:Click my sig.
Will do.

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Asmodai » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:15 pm

As someone who just started a semester game development, this is a very interesting find.
Mephobiac

Postby Wulfespinndel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Bitterberry Cookiedough sounds nice for a mushroom equivalent.

Except it would have to be a cookie just because it would be logical.

Cool beans you've got here.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Krest » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Bitterberry sounds like a pretty cool cat. I see her as a sassy cheerleader/rocker-goth hybrid rather than the stereotypical kind of princess. A devil in disguise ;)
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Re: Tower Jam (& Mir's entry devlog)

Postby Mir@k » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:26 am

Finally finished the initial illustration. Not going as fast as i'd wish but eh, it's something.

That's this game's "bowser", Don Doggi.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:39 am

Mir@k wrote:That's this game's "bowser"
Which is to say, Enemy or Frienemy?

Either way, I really like his design. His hands make him seem a little too aggressive in my opinion, like he's always ready to punch a bitch.

Bird oft Error

Postby Mir@k » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:33 am

Yeah i suck at hands, i wanted to give him the classic mickey mouse gloves but god damn are hands hard to get right. So in the meantime those are his. If i can't make better hands i'll just bullshit some justification for him having both fists clenched all the time.

And you'll just have to play the final game to find out what kind of guy he is. His looks could be deceiving, as everything in this life is.

I'm now asking for votes regarding the title of the game. I can't advance much without having settled on one and all of them suck. Three of them that are not so sucky are now in this poll. Please vote to help me make a choice! Thank you. c:
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:58 am

Latest update on the engine btw.
  • Engine is finished.
  • Graphical stuff of the site is done too, all it needs is content.
  • Automatic introductory presentation done, game loads a "Karimn D.K.I. Presents" message, going automatically towards "In association with:", a little section that vanishes after a few seconds dedicated to advertising websites and people i like for free. Current banners include Team LePixelists and the Snafu Forums. If you guys have a (serious) website tell me.
  • Main menu done.
  • "About" section and credit lines included.
  • Rudimentary save system created, the game saves progress so long as you keep the browser tab open, cookies don't seem to work so if you close the tab all checkpoints will return to their 'blocked' status.
  • Managed to stablish communication between a .swf and the javascript of the site (which means i can add fucking flash movies and flash games to this shit, and your actions inside the game affect the story too). This opens a whole world of stupid posibilities that i'll just act as if i didn't discover this AMAZING feature because then i'll try to use it everywhere and not finish anything so ok.
  • After much deliberation as if i should include music & sound effects or not i've decided that everybody got a mute button and they can use it if they don't like what they hear. Also it would be dumb to add music IN-story since everytime you advance the swf would restart the music. I will add some in the static menus though. And the ending must have one too.
  • Main menu music done.
  • You can die now.
  • As of now there are 5 possible endings. Don't plan to include any more but i could remove some if i get tired.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: Tower Jam (& "My 100th Abduction" devlog)

Postby Mir@k » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks guys. Name has been decided. c:
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:50 pm

I need some assistance with writing. Don't want to bother br cuz he's occupied with his own entry. If anyone wants to assist me do say so. c:
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Krest » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:54 pm

I could help if it's just writing. PM me what you need help with and I'll see if I can do anything with it. However, I'll need to know the basic concept if you do so as to not go against the game's setting, mood, or plot.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:06 pm

I would but I have the strange feelin' that you dont like meh verry much.

Sarcasm aside, Havoc has done me WONDERS for my story. If not me, him. He's good.

Bird oft Error

Return to Wham, Spam, Thank you, Ma'am!