The Writer's Lounge

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Writer's Lounge

Postby Tuor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm re-reading John Dies at the End, and enjoying it immensely. If you watch "Supernatural" it's kind of like that except more fucked up, a lot more. It reads like if Venkman and Buffy had a kid, or "Clerks" but with monsters. I think a few of you would get a kick out of it. The writing style is a lot of fun.

Excerpt from the Prologue wrote:I was pondering [a] riddle as I reclined on my porch at 3:00 AM, a chilled breeze numbing my cheeks and earlobes and flicking tickly hairs across my forehead. I had my feet up on the railing, leaning back in one of those cheap plastic lawn chairs, the kind that blow out onto the lawn during every thunderstorm. It would have been a good occasion to smoke a pipe had I owned one and been 40 years older. It was one of those rare moments of mental peace I get these days, the kind you don’t appreciate until they’re ov-

My cell phone screeched, the sound like a sonic bee sting. I dug the slim little phone from my jacket pocket, glanced at the number and felt a sickening little twinge of fear. I
disconnected the call without answering.

The world was silent again, save for the faint applause of trees rustling in the wind and crumbly dead leaves scraping lightly down the pavement. That, and the scuffle of a mentally
challenged dog trying to climb onto the chair next to me. After two attempts to mount thething, Molly managed to send the chair clattering onto its side. She stared at the toppled chair for several seconds and then started barking at it.

The phone again. Molly growled at the chair. I closed my eyes, said an angry five-word prayer and answered the call.

“Hello?”

“Dave? This is John. Your pimp says bring the crack shipment tonight, or he’ll be forced to stick you. Meet him where we buried the Korean whore. The one without the goatee.”

That was code. It meant “Come to my place as soon as you can, it’s important.” Code, you know, in case the phone was bugged.

“John, it’s three in the-“

“-Oh, and don’t forget, tomorrow is the day we kill the President.”

*Click*

He was gone. That last part was code for, “Stop and pick me up some cigarettes on the way.”

Actually, the phone probably was bugged but I was confident the people doing it could just as easily do some kind of remote intercept of our brain waves if they wanted, so it was
moot. Two minutes and one very long sigh later, I was humming through the night in my truck, waiting for the heater to blow warm air and trying not to think of Frank Campo.

The country music marathon that had been running on every single FM station here since 1978 was still in full swing, so I alternated between an AM station that was filtering
some staticky Spanish-language thing and a local right-wing talk radio program.

“-I’m here to tell ya, immigration, it’s like rats on a ship. America is the ship and allllll these rats are comin’ on board, y’all. And you know what happens when a ship gets too many
rats on board? It sinks. That’s what.”

I wondered if a ship had ever really sank that way. I wondered what was giving my truck that rotten egg smell. I wondered if the gun was still under the driver’s seat. I wandered.
Was there something moving back there, in the darkness? I glanced in my rear view mirror. No, a trick of the shadows. I thought of Frank Campo.

Frank was an attorney who was heading home from the office one night in his black Lexus, the car’s wax job gleaming like a shell of black ice. So Frank’s driving, feeling
weightless and invincible behind the greenish glow of his dashboard lights, when he senses a tingling on his legs. He sees a strange hint of movement down there by his feet, little ripples in the darkness.

So he flips on the dome light and finds thousands of shiny, black palm-sized spiders marching into his lap, spilling over his knees, pushing up inside his pant legs. The things
looked like they were bred for war, jagged black bodies with yellow stripes, long spiny legs like needlepoints. His ankles were buried in them, submerged in a boiling pile of arachnids. He freaked, he cranked the wheel, he flipped down an embankment. After they pried him out of the wreckage and after he stopped ranting, the cops assured him there wasn’t a sign of even one spider inside the car.

If it had ended there, you could write it off as a bad night, a trick of the eyes, one of Scrooge’s bad potatoes. But it didn’t end there. Frank kept seeing things, awful things, and
over the months all the king’s doctors and all the king’s pills couldn’t make Frank’s waking nightmares go away.

And yet, other than that, the guy was fine. Lucid. As sane as a sunset. He’d write a brilliant legal brief on Wednesday, on Thursday he’d swear he saw tentacles writhing under
the judge’s robes.

So? Who do you go to in a situation like that?

The short answer is Dave and John
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mercen-X » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:17 pm

I was a bit interested in watching the movie version of this available at Redbox. How long is the book?
I just love how people put commas, in places they so obviously, do not belong.

I don't know about you, but I love the Young Justice animated series.
So I became the 44,901st signer of this petition to bring the series back.
Skree

Postby Tuor » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:24 pm

I started watching the movie, but it felt too much like a buddy buddy movie and I didn't like it. The book is close to 300 pages, I think, I don't have it in front of me right now.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Havoc » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:08 am

So if I do decide to make a story, is it still against the rules for me to use Word Pad/Note Pad?

Postby Tuor » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:20 am

It was just Cole's preference, it was never really against the rules. How would we know what you're typing stuff in?
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Havoc » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:36 am

I see. This Cole fella seemed kinda frighting. He posted in yelling.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:34 am

Tuor wrote:How would we know what you're typing stuff in?

Anyone could've been typing their story in Google Translate for all we know.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks

Postby Tuor » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:48 am

True facts
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:16 pm

I wrote my the first six chapters of my story in wordpad with no natural spell/grammar check. I actually used Firefox's built in Spellcheck for a lot of the work and proofread my story like ten times over just to make sure nothing was wrong.

After upgrading to Microsoft Word, I'm so glad all it really takes is a single look around to see if it's good enough for posting. Downside is it usually leaves me kind of lax with the proofreading and I can end up missing very obvious things. But hey, it all works out in the end.

Also people pointing the more obvious problems out helps when I overwork myself and have to turn in early without proofreading.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:51 pm

I like Microsoft Word the best, but the Google Docs make it really easy to edit and pre-read as well.

I just have no idea how they work, tbh.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:25 pm

What? You don't? You're the one that suggested Docs to me though @.@
I like it, like Blood mentioned, it's really easy to share and edit using Docs.
Rocks

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:53 pm

I edit the things people send me because it makes life easy for both parties, hence why I recommended it to you. I don't know how to upload documents into it though because I have yet to have the need to because so much other fucking shit is going on that I can't focus on my writing.
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:07 pm

Well, it's simple. It saves everything to their servers. So you don't really upload. Like how you've edited my stuff, it automatically updates and saves.
Rocks

Postby Tuor » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:06 am

I was reading John Dies at the End last night, and one of the characters said some scary shit about mirrors, then when I was going to bed I was like "...shit, right, my closet's doors are mirrors and it's at the foot of my bed". So then I got up and watched youtube videos for half an hour
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:12 am

That is the single most interesting name to anything I've ever heard ever. Is it any good? I'll have to check it out.

Best of luck with your current phobia by the way.

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Sigment » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:12 am

I need to go get ahold of another copy of Ender's Game again. Has nothing to do with the movie, i just never got around to finishing the book when I was a kid.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:59 pm

I don't have fond memories of that book. It could be that I was reading for a high school English class.
Mercypostle

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:50 am

A lot of people seemed to have slowed to a halt.

Sigment, Blood Lord, Kats Lion, Mercen-X, Walrus- to name a few. Maybe I just have high endurance, but I can't stop myself from writing for any longer than a month before continuing again.

Do y'all need an ear to absorb your ideas before you put them onto the site? I'm always here. I can't be the "king of literature" if I'm the only one here. 8)

Bird oft Error

Postby Sigment » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:26 pm

I plan to update soon. A lot of stuff has happened. Just picked up my dad from the hospital yesterday, he had knee surgery. He's fine, but my point is that I've had a few distractions.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Birdofterror wrote:A lot of people seemed to have slowed to a halt.

Sigment, Blood Lord, Kats Lion, Mercen-X, Walrus- to name a few. Maybe I just have high endurance, but I can't stop myself from writing for any longer than a month before continuing again.

It's coming close to a year since I last updated.

Ehh, just a lot of stuff happening on my end. Hopefully, I will have something up soon.
Mercypostle

Postby Sigment » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:09 pm

As for Walrus, he's been focusing his efforts on his comic in the Art section.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:58 pm

sob
I've been neglected.
I'm also a bit busy since school started for me yesterday :p
Rocks

Postby Tuor » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:00 pm

I haven't written in a while, because I haven't been inspired and I haven't tried to force it, and I'm not motivated by way of being able to just add a chapter to something
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Sigment Kurosai wrote:As for Walrus, he's been focusing his efforts on his comic in the Art section.

It's Thy Obsessive Freak now :grin:

But yeah I've been focusing on me art efforts due to the fact I want to get as much of my comic/manga (Someone was fussed to call it a manga, who cares!) done before college and been trying to finish the dream chapters of the comic.
I have been picking up my literature side more, I plan to put up the first two chapters of a book that's been re-written lord knows how many times (More in different formats, perspectives and editting). I've also been thinking of picking up my Powerpuff girl Dou... What ever it's spelled again, All hail father, but I wasn't sure if it was any good. I think the premise was somewot dumb and really random, so I may have to re-write that as well.

But shortly my obsession will be on literature again over art... And the comic may end up going slowly again, but we'll just have to see about that.

At some point I'll be picking up again.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Siiiiilent Niiiiiiiight
Hooold meeee Tiiiiiight

How can I be too bored to be bored?
Rocks

PreviousNext

Return to Literature