ari-6 Art Thread (Fanart and Oneshot stuff)

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: ari-6 Art Thread

Postby ari-6 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:51 am

Krest wrote:I gotta get my project done =.= Or else I can't compare talent levels... D:

You are working on a project? What is it? I would so love to see it. Then we can compare dick lengths breast sizes ...talent levels?

Krest wrote:Anyway, I noticed how well you're able to control dimensions and shading, but not color effects dependent on their own shades - which is necessary to create more depth.
I am not sure what you mean. Could you specify a time that I have made this mistake so I can see where I am going wrong?
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby Darkingdomhearts » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:46 am

Just took a peek on you DA and you are very talented. I assume you prefer to draw females than males?
CHECK OUT THE SNAFU COMICS WIKI

Postby ari-6 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:15 am

What? Don't say something like that. There are just fewer interesting male characters.
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Grim Junior. I'm kind of curious on how you'd draw that.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:54 pm

I drew him a few years ago. It is really in need of redo. It is embarrassing.
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/ ... 4o1okf.jpg
Last edited by ari-6 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby Krest » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:57 pm

ari-6 wrote:What? Don't say something like that. There are just fewer interesting male characters.

Oh BS. You must not have read Toriko yet. Or watched Brothers Conflict. Or Bleach. Or read very many manhwa x.x I would suggest looking up the manhwa called "Id". Both the male and female characters in it are extremely well-drawn.

--

None of the pictures I've seen on this thread use clashing shades of color - making them flow into each other and redefining shape as they do so.

Think of a tree of autumn leaves. Now imagine all their colors mashing into one another, like when you mix different colors of paint. It creates a new dimension - let's just call it the color dimension - and makes it more vibrant. This is different from lighting and definitions.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/ ... 1da31e.png

^ This is from my fav webcomic, Nawlz. The guy's brown clothing has been darkened because of lighting but the blue burst of psychedelic energy uses different shades of color just to express its own effect rather than because of anything affecting it. It's completely mental - it isn't affected by lighting nor does it need to be contained by any sort of structure. This is an instance of pure color expression.

Actually, psychedelic was a good word to use. This artistic piece is psychedelic in nature:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... ations.jpg

See how it uses the clashing of colors and various shades of those colors to create the dimensions? Awesome. Your work generally focuses on using color in a way that simply give more realism to the black and white versions. But if you use the color to hyperrealize (philosophy) the colored piece, you get a new layer to your artwork.

This is only one way to improve your work. And I only suggested it cause it's you. I hope that wasn't too confusing. x.x
Last edited by Krest on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Face is weird for Junior over there.

Dang it Ari, respond to your PMs! Try to keep me updated.
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Krest » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:12 pm

Oh, right. I told y'all on the anime thread, I think. I'm trying to get an abridged series done. I'm just in the middle of job application and SNAFU ADDICTION.

--

I just looked at the Art Contest thread. Laudine's piece used what I was talking about. Refresher:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/45268b7b2009 ... 1_1280.png

See how she uses the colors to produce a new dimension?
Last edited by Krest on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:32 pm

You are right. My colouring does need much work but I have always prioritised bettering my drawing. What you are talking about is pretty advanced but I will probably cover it in the next three years. My goal is to one day be able to draw like this http://images3.alphacoders.com/735/73557.jpg .
Also, I apoligise for bothering you but could I ask that you please change the examples you gave from imports to links instead. I know I was the first to import images that were not my own but for the sake of convenience I would like to keep it to only importing images I have made.
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby Krest » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:58 pm

There. I changed 'em.

BTW Do you know which forum I should put the Abridged Series' thread in?

And if you want me to use your art or anything to feature you in the series, let me know. You're awesome enough. I'd list it in the description. Original piece (as in not fan material) preferred.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Which series? I do not know what you are talking about.
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby noxux » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:11 pm

Krest I think you should specify things because I didn't saw you talking about series 3 posts ago.
Last edited by noxux on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby ari-6 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Yea Krest. Three pists ago. Whats up with that?

Noxux, are you drunk? I can't deal with drunken people.
Krest wrote:See how she uses the colors to produce a new dimension?

I agree, but you can not really compare illustration to fine art. And I would say she is at least a university level fine art student.
Last edited by ari-6 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby noxux » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Sorry it was a typo.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby ari-6 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:18 pm

You mean you stuttered?
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby noxux » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Yeah, in other words, but typo is when by accident you write a word wrong.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby ari-6 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:30 pm

You stututed.
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby Krest » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 pm

ari-6 wrote:I agree, but you can not really compare illustration to fine art. And I would say she is at least a university level fine art student.

I wasn't comparing or contrasting them. I just suggested mixing them. Then again, that's hard to explain if I don't specify...

As I understand it, illustrations are used to compliment ideas and generally have a more easily comprehensible nature. On the other hand, fine art expresses itself rather than complimenting a concept or other work - this makes it harder to define and thus causes many people to prefer illustrations over fine art.

I was suggesting mixing the two - make an illustration which compliments other things (or has symbolism, etc) yet also expresses itself in a unique way - making it fine art. I hope that makes sense...

--

Why does no one pay attention to the posts of mine that say I'm making an abridged series? Jeez...

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Someone already asked you for clarification on that. If it is a art work of yours it belongs here, if it is a literature work of yours it belongs in the Lit Section.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Krest » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:40 pm

But that's what I'm saying - it's both. It's art because I use video and sound editing to recreate the work into a new artistic piece, but it's also literature because I'm making a story - with its own dialogue, tone, etc - alongside the recreated piece. Which is why I'm confused and am not sure where to place it.
Last edited by Krest on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:41 pm

I see it the other way entirely. Take your favourite drawing from your favourite mangaka, place it alongside Laudine's work, then ask a general member of the public (who probably has no art related knowledge what so ever) and ask them which they think is best, which shows more talent, which artist is best and 99/100 they will choose the visually impressive scenic piece. I do however agree with your second statement. The image I linked when we were talking about colouring, the artist who created that was trained a a fine artist before moving on to manga and I think it really shows in his work. I would like to achieve that level one day.

Also I would not call an abridged series art.
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby Krest » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Krest wrote:I was suggesting mixing the two - make an illustration which compliments other things (or has symbolism, etc) yet also expresses itself in a unique way - making it fine art. I hope that makes sense...

This is what Candi has to do in that webcomic I linked, which is why I suggested it.

--

ari-6 wrote:I see it the other way entirely. Take your favourite drawing from your favourite mangaka, place it alongside Laudine's work, then ask a general member of the public (who probably has no art related knowledge what so ever) and ask them which they think is best, which shows more talent, which artist is best and 99/100 they will choose the visually impressive scenic piece. I do however agree with your second statement. The image I linked when we were talking about colouring, the artist who created that was trained a a fine artist before moving on to manga and I think it really shows in his work. I would like to achieve that level one day.

How do you describe illustration and fine art, then?

I'm just trying to show that a manga can be entirely riddled with fine art - it can have visually impressive scenic pieces throughout the entire thing. The mangaka, after all, is telling a story - while the artwork compliments the story he has in mind, the artwork also can BE the story he has in mind. Many people draw a line between the two - but I believe, if an artist denies that fine line, then it won't exist and their works can become truly blended.

--

So, would you then not call video games art, or movies art? Abridged series use programs to visually express themselves, just like the other two.

--

You could argue that movies and abridged series are different because the people in movies act. But...so do those in abridged series. Both movies and abridged series have people that act through the characters. If you say that it isn't art because it's a rendition of an original piece, then no theatrical versions of Hamlet can be considered art.

Yet, abridged series are also literature. Like manga series, they mix words and visuals. It doesn't matter if the words are in text or spoken out loud, literature is expression through words.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:57 pm

imo, the best place to get feedback for an abridged series would be Spam. You're not making new images, just editing old ones. And most abridged series are comedy based, bcuz honestly, can anyone think of a serious abridged series that does well? My personal opinion.

As for the fine art and comic styles mixing, I see nor problems with it.
ari-6 wrote: Take your favourite drawing from your favourite mangaka, place it alongside Laudine's work, then ask a general member of the public (who probably has no art related knowledge what so ever) and ask them which they think is best, which shows more talent, which artist is best and 99/100 they will choose the visually impressive scenic piece.

Go to the the anime thread in a second I'll show you a few pics that I find more impressive than Laudine's work. I mean no offense, it's just that I don't agree with your opinion.
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Krest » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Well, that's kind of the point... Abridged series are parodies of the original work in a way that glorifies and commercializes the work. They're not meant to be completely serious. It's comedy but that doesn't make it spam.

And I agree with Tenshi, Illustration and Fine Art have nothing to do with talent. Most people create a rift because they believe the works HAVE TO be different since they are made for "different reasons". Many of those people say that Illustration, for example, is made solely to please others while I disagree. I know of many people that create "illustrations" regardless of the audience but for the sake of the story/work itself. Yet those are still called Illustrations instead of Fine Art. So like I said - there really isn't a line. The line is solely imaginary.

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:25 pm

Look, I really don't give a fuck about this other then wrong place, again. Ask this the Art of Lit talk thread, not in Ari's art thread.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

PreviousNext

Return to Art