Welcome to the Weirdness

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: RP Mod Squad, Mod Squad

Re: Welcome to the Weirdness

Postby Asmodai » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:16 pm

Its the artists words, not mine. He/she said to have put the comic on hiatus to work on the first volume of the printed version.
Mephobiac
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Asmodai » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:19 pm

I didnt see that ending coming
Mephobiac
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MQuinny1234 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:00 am

That one was....Umm...

Yikes.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Ro Wong » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:21 pm

*sees new posts in Idea Thread* Oooo, new life~ *saw idea and poster* ... Le sigh...
Demon of Elru

Postby Archrival » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Ro Wong wrote:*sees new posts in Idea Thread* Oooo, new life~ *saw idea and poster* ... Le sigh...

Exactly.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Mathias » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:20 pm

Watching the updated Hunter x Hunter anime and remembering that I read the entire manga series in one sitting at Barnes & Noble to prepare for an rp that barely got off the ground.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Ah, nostalgia~
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Ro Wong » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Careful, it's addictive.
Demon of Elru

Postby Mathias » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:52 pm

I think I was just happy to have been accepted into someone else's rp.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:57 pm

I can't recall my first RP... do you guys remember your first RP?

Here on Snafu.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby Mathias » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:59 pm

One that I had started called "Extreme Evil" or some such. Got to maybe 3 pages.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Exodis » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:02 pm

My first (and only) RP would be the X-Men: E341.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Live the Lovable Life, Die the Dreadful Death.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Last Savior

Postby Mathias » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:05 pm

I've only really partaken in my own rps. I played the second incarnation of Enuma Elish for a while, though.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigment » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:08 pm

First and only one that I've participated in is Blood's Dragon Age RP. Have yet to come up with one myself.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Asmodai » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:36 am

Just Between You and Me, by... Hmm, cant remember her username, yet for some reason I can remember her real name, Mason Kerube.

I made that insanely large CS, 6400 words I believe. I also had the insane priest in it, I miss him.
Mephobiac
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:56 am

Hrm, can recall some of the early RPs, not which one were the first.

I'm considering starting another RP. The amount of players I got in my current one convinces me there's still people and energy to be found here, and I'm learning stuff about how to design an RPG for a forum that I want to put to use. If I have any energy left over from my various other roleplaying projects, I'll do it. Haven't decided on a setting yet, "Blame!" would be an option, but I'm considering doing that as a tabletop instead. And then there's Attack on Titan...
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hiroko » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:03 am

My first RP was Couch's "Sunny Skies RP." It's still listed as my most posted-in topic on my profile right now, funny enough. Still feel kinda bad that it died off so early. I can't help but feel sort of responsible for letting that RP die. ._.;

Speaking of things I feel bad for...I had really wanted to join a couple of RPs this summer, and I had even worked on a couple of character sheets for two RPs, only for things to just...not go through. I lost motivation to do anything, even when I wanted to do those things so badly. I feel horrendous about it all, and I apologize to those I inconvenienced by bringing hopes up and not following through.
The Sentimental One

Postby Sentios » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:29 am

First RP I was in here was one of Cascade's, something to do with fighter pilots or something can't remember anymore. Still haven't GMed a RP even though I'd thought of some a couple times but they didn't survive the 'I'll sit on this idea a few months to see if I still think it's interesting' procedure. Though the back of my mind keeps trying to convince me I should make a Shakugan no Shana RP, give it a few more months and see if it still sounds like a good idea.
Wizard Status. 5 more years
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Ro Wong » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:17 am

Hiroko: Don't stress yourself. RPs around here have that misfortune. Some die before the IC can even get into place. Usually a result of various issues. Was never your fault.

First RP I joined here was one of the original two, PPGDRP... Had little to even do with the girls at times and just used the setting. I stayed off in the facility that dealt with the RRB. Lot of us carried on into the sequal, Omegaville, where a lot/most the heroes of PPGD were dead.
Demon of Elru

Postby Cheesemore » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:16 pm

First RP I was in was Highschool Hell by Zelosse. It was rather fun, first RP I ever did actually.

I've been thinking about making my first RP recently. But there's the huge problem of inexperience and not knowing exactly what needs to be done to make the RP successful. I have a general idea of what I want to do, but I feel I need more experience before I can consider making one.
Fenix13 : Cheesemore if you get any more awesome this thread is gonna explo- WHAT THE FFFUUUUUUUUUUU- *Everybody dies*
BeeAre : i'm just going to go ahead and say it: this thread is cheesemore's thread now. like. he's officially spam's last post crusader, always seeking the last post like a knight looking for the holy grail. poor bastard. godspeed you goofy motherfucker.
JesusChrist : 16. Cheesemore should always be addressed as "fucking Cheesemore" because he's so pathetic [see: Last one to post thread]
SoulScavenger : Cheesemore, your avatar is awesome. That is all.
Akaine : Cheesemore...if this was facebook, I'd approve of your comment with clicking 'like'.
sam4books : Cheesemore earns an awesome point.
The Master of Cheese

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:29 pm

You need more experience? I thought you had a lot more than I did.

@ Hiroko: It happens.
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby Zako » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Cheesemore wrote:I've been thinking about making my first RP recently. But there's the huge problem of inexperience and not knowing exactly what needs to be done to make the RP successful. I have a general idea of what I want to do, but I feel I need more experience before I can consider making one.

Please make one right now.
- Join the HUMP LEGION. Leading the Humping and Bumping since time began...*humpa humpa humpa* -

Note to self. Pg541
SPACE ASSHOLE...

Postby Vegedus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:03 am

I've made two RPs so far and this is what I think I've learned about how to make one successful:

#1: Player interaction is key. The game is usually the most interesting when the player characters interact, when they're simply talking. Or doing intrigue or romance. That's where players have a chance to show off their characters and do some goddamn roleplaying. Following the GMs plot is less interesting than playing your character, so such a plot should be designed as to give players opportunities to interact and 'do their own thing'. How exactly you do that, I'm not sure. Or, if your don't make a plot as I do, simply drive towards opportunities and actions in general.

#2: PvP is tricky. On one hand, it's a good turbo-charger for a game, because you have to fight other players instead of following a boring plot. On the other, it makes it hard for players to interact in a constructive manner, see #1. In my current RP, I made the mistake of making everyone hostile per default, which means you a lot of internal monologue to get any roleplaying done, because you have a hard time talking with the other characters now. Some allying have been done, so it's better now, but it was a tough start.

#3: Action is easy, but not great. Again referring to #1, flowery descriptions of combat isn't really the most interesting part of a game, dialogue is, in this medium. At least I think so. If you base a game around action, they always have something to do, because you can simply present a foe and players can spend pages fighting it, but it does get samey after a while. Putting some action in your game is fine, because it also implies drama when people risk their lives and get hurt and such, and it can feed into the rest of your game. Basing it on it and nothing else is a game that gets boring after the first fight.

#4: Keep energy high, at all times. 'Energy' refers to the general sense of "something is going on in the game", of people being invested, but perhaps it could be 'tension' instead. I think 90% of the time, people don't drop out of RPs because they're actually too busy, they drop out because there was a dip in the tension or energy and they lost interest in posting. When a player is put into a situation where they don't have anything interesting to post, because the action they need to take is too obvious, there's nothing at stake, or they no opportunity for roleplaying, they often put off doing that post, and then eventually don't. Like say, GM goes "There's a big black door barring your path". Obviously, someone has to open the door, but no one wants to do it, because there's no way to do it that's not boring. "My character grabs the handle and opens the doors." is a boring-ass post, and I've seen RPs die simply on account of players having to do one, very obvious, but boring thing. Even if there's tension in 'what's behind the door', there's no tension in that post the player is forced to post. Don't give players levers to pull, give them choices or opportunities for interaction or roleplaying.

#5: Resolution systems is sort-of a good idea. This is my thing, a personal pet-peeve. I hate that challenges are arbitrarily decided, that the player who posts most aggressively or made his character the most OP is the one who wins a fight. Plus, I have seen it lead to drama and a dead RP. So I made dice-systems for resolving "who wins" in both my RPs and they worked... Sorta. They're very hard to make non-intrusive, but I think in my current RP, it does add to the game. It just have to be super, super simple. I have an idea for a new diceless resolution system for my next game, I still think they're good to have, they're just tricky.

Apart from some specific stuff about how to structure a CS or the OOC, that's it. But that's just me, trying to sieve some knowledge out of a measly two data-points, plus however little I've played. Does anyone else have tips to contribute with?
Last edited by Vegedus on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:44 pm

I have some, but they aren't as detailed or orderly as that.

I've ran two thus far (Eternal Waltz and Dragon Age: Divided Kingdom), feels like more though. But in my experience you want to keep the player interested. The topic needs to be interesting and the game play.

The topic is anyone's game, really. It's all about execution, but I think as long as it is simple people like it. An issue I have when mine are about a half a mile long...

The way I like to keep the game play interesting is to let the players choose what to do; they write the story out. As GM I establish a general point A and a specific point B and the players have to figure out how to get from one point to the other as I introduce challenges and issues in their path. I like for them to make the story, although I have found in my current one that I'm a lot more active recently in dictating the events of the RP.

In the Eternal Waltz one was the best at this because there was no prime villain that I sat behind as GM. Ro was actually the scary bad guy in that one. I was just some special forces commander. But in it I had two warring sides, you pick what to do, make your own plot and eventually tie into the overall goal of deciding who wins.
Mercypostle

Postby Mathias » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:35 pm

Almost time for a new Weirdness...
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing