Time Travel and Depictions of the Future

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Time Travel and Depictions of the Future

Postby Mercen-X » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:13 am

A lot of movies tend to overestimate the amount of progress humans can make technologically in a matter of decades. At the same time, they tend to underestimate the amount to which fashions will change whether in clothing or how buildings are designed or what materials are used to construct new technologies. When in fact, those simple things are those that change the quickest and the greatest over time while our development of technology is at a snail's pace.

Some films use interesting depictions like holo-technology allowing people to interface with something that has no physical presence (like on Iron Man 2), and while that's neat, it's still a long way off. Movies that depict the future are, however, different from movies that time travel to the future.

Some have said that Back to the Future overestimated our development capabilities with products such as blender-sized fusion reactors, flying cars, hoverboards, holo-ads, etc. but if you consider that Doc Brown already managed to build a time machine into a Delorian, why wouldn't he be able to help society build all of those other things. Time travel is a much more reality-defying feat that building a flying car.

Just something that occurred to me while watching Back to the Future.
I just love how people put commas, in places they so obviously, do not belong.

I don't know about you, but I love the Young Justice animated series.
So I became the 44,901st signer of this petition to bring the series back.
Skree

Re: Time Travel and Depictions of the Future

Postby Sentios » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:32 am

Mercen-X wrote: our development of technology is at a snail's pace.

Compared to what? If we're comparing the rest of human history then human technological growth has only increased as time goes on. So much to the point where people who actually possess some knowledge of technology can support ideas like the singularity, with at least enough confidence to say that the event is possible even if they lack confidence in an exact date.

Some films use interesting depictions like holo-technology allowing people to interface with something that has no physical presence (like on Iron Man 2), and while that's neat, it's still a long way off. Movies that depict the future are, however, different from movies that time travel to the future.

If we're talking free standing images then we're not there yet, if we're talking about interacting with 3D projections onto specially designed targets then we're already there. http://badassjs.com/post/44786596458/an ... eap-motion

Some have said that Back to the Future overestimated our development capabilities with products such as blender-sized fusion reactors, flying cars, hoverboards, holo-ads, etc. but if you consider that Doc Brown already managed to build a time machine into a Delorian, why wouldn't he be able to help society build all of those other things.

On the topic of fusion reactors, nuclear development as a whole is retarded by idiots. I scream every time I hear someone talking about wanting to permanently get rid of nuclear waste (into the sun is usually their suggestion). As bad as it is, it's actually just slightly contaminated normal nuclear fuel and even the contaminates could be used as part of the fuel if red tape and public (idiot) opinion were not holding up progress.

On the topic of flying cars, this is directly related to the above as well as the fact that humans still get into accidents on flat surfaces... and almost always because of driver error. The very idea of giving them another plane in which to try to operate AND with a nuclear reactor on board is utter insanity that only hollywood could dream of.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Mathias » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:26 am

Sentios wrote:On the topic of flying cars, this is directly related to the above as well as the fact that humans still get into accidents on flat surfaces... and almost always because of driver error.

This is basically why I'm afraid of flying cars happening. They would require a navigation system akin to what airplanes use to evade other flying vehicles.

Postby Vegedus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:08 pm

That hurdle could be overcome when we invent self-driving cars which... Oh, wait, we already did. And it's legal in several countries and so far safer than human drivers. The only thing stopping every car from being self-driving is legalities and people getting used to the idea. How is this so? Because we're living in the goddamn FUTURE!

I detest the notion that technology should be advancing slowly. Sure, there's things science fiction predicted we would get that we haven't but:

a) It's goddamn fiction, it's doesn't and shouldn't predict the future.

b) Most of it is stupid and/or unworkable in practice (see Flying Cars).

c) There's lots of technological breakthroughs that weren't predicted that DID happen and they're just as interesting when you think about it. I got access to pretty much all the world's knowledge in my pocket. My pocket! 30 years ago a computer was a glorified typewriter and now I could teach myself theoretical physics from my phone if I wanted to. The real life future comes as a transition, so we don't notice it as much, but the technology around us have changed how we live our lives so much. Currently we have Google glass which might potentially change our sense of identity and notions of privacy and fuck me if I know what they'll do with nano-technology, quantum computers and genetic engineering. Cybernetics? We can already give a blind person sight, it's just at a bad resolution.

I don't want no fucking hoverboard, the world of back to the future is just an aesthetic dress up of the present in which it was filmed. Different clothes, different toys, different hairstyles, same society. Meanwhile, we're in the midst of a goddamn revolution, some of the biggest changes in the human condition ever, it's just not obvious when you're living through it. Who cares about holoprojectors, when wars are being fought with drones in the real world?
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:57 pm

I hope to never see a flying car, you can barely trust the average driver to not be an idiot when their car moves in what amounts to a two dimensional plain let alone throwing in a z axis.

I think what was predicted for the future was a little far fetched because they expected us to jump from going to the moon to going to other planets without accounting for the underlying discoveries that would be needed to do that.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mr. Froggy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Everything is amazing and nobody's happy.

In a sort of related note, I find that more and more people are taking technology for granted and it kind of ticks me off. It's like they're bitter that today's technology is so much better than the simple things they (we) grew up with, that they start tech-bashing. Half of the people I work with believe that the world is a worse place because of cell phones; of course they all have the latest smartphone, but they only use it "for making phone calls." Are people so dumb that they can't see how much the world has improved in every sense because of the giant leaps in technology, or am I right to think that they're all just bitter for some reason?

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:04 pm

I think we've grown up in a generation where we haven't had a giant breakthrough or even worse we seem to be back sliding on certain ideas(space exploration).
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mercen-X » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Damned touchy subject. I think this majorly got the wrong reaction most likely because I mentioned our technology moving at a snail's pace but to respond to Sentios, I meant compared to the movies who always base their events in just a few decades time. Those few decades later, we haven't invented anything appearing in those movies although scientists have made discoveries TOWARD those inventions.

Secondly, perhaps (just to be optimistic here) some of you have latched onto to certain keywords that tend to irk you in general. Nevertheless it comes off sounding as if you assume that I had certain expectations or desires toward the future. If you read my initial post carefully, you should see I never expressed any desire toward the future. I don't care about hoverboards or fusion reactors or flying cars or robots or "surrogates". I merely pointed out the separation between the depiction of the future in fiction and the reality of the future. As I said, these stories usually take place just 30 or so years after the story is being conceived. And what about Star Trek? Do you think interplanetary travel would possible as soon as 2400? Do you think our planet would know peace?

As for Holograms, yes I was referring to free-standing images (but that's frankly a bit off the wall and not really important). It's interesting that they've developed a 3D projection with which you can interact... I might've known we'd get there given the advances we've made in gaming alone :)

Skree

Postby EagleMan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:47 pm

There are other technological advances in Iron Man to be amazed about, namely the fact that Stark can easily withstand incredibly rapid changes in velocity without killing himself or fainting. Remember that he is in a giant hunk of armor being thrashed and thrown around constantly. Whatever protective layer he has between his body and the suit is something truly futuristic. A consumer version that's even 25% as good and can be retailed as a football helmet would prevent countless brain and head injuries. The rest of the series also forgot about the magical paralysis device in Iron Man 1. That's an incredibly insidious device with untold military applications (as well as criminal ones).

Postby Mercen-X » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:08 pm

Yes, not to mention, believably within the scope of human creation and likely within the next ten years if enough time and energy is devoted to it.

Skree

Postby EagleMan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:14 pm

What do you base that on?

Postby Mercen-X » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:55 am

Oh! Did I neglect to mention..? Absolutely nothing. I've heard of strides been made into sonic technology and its applications toward biological functions. I suppose that my being too lazy to try to find citable material warrants that I should just keep my mouth shut. It could very have been a bunch of hocus pocus rumor and hearsay.

I don't actually know so much about the "protective layer" though.

Skree

Postby EagleMan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:02 am

I only asked since going from what we have today to Iron Man like tech of inertial absorption in the next 10 years would be an incredible technological leap. Tony goes from like 60-0 in half a second in some fights and doesn't even get hurt physically, he just bounces a few times and gets up no problem. That's pretty amazing. No airbags. I'm not sure such a thing is even possible. If it is it certainly isn't coming in the next 10 years, unless the military has been developing it in secret. This whole thing is probably one of the biggest reasons an Iron Man suit is very impractical in reality, because you'll just be banging around on the inside against a flying speedy hunk of metal.

Postby Vegedus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:54 am

Of course, all of that have nothing to do with science fiction and everything to do with it being an action movie.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Sentios » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:59 am

EagleMan wrote:I only asked since going from what we have today to Iron Man like tech of inertial absorption in the next 10 years would be an incredible technological leap. Tony goes from like 60-0 in half a second in some fights and doesn't even get hurt physically, he just bounces a few times and gets up no problem. That's pretty amazing. No airbags. I'm not sure such a thing is even possible. If it is it certainly isn't coming in the next 10 years, unless the military has been developing it in secret. This whole thing is probably one of the biggest reasons an Iron Man suit is very impractical in reality, because you'll just be banging around on the inside against a flying speedy hunk of metal.

Only the rapid acceleration part is impractical, powered exoskeletons are all ready being developed for military and civilian usage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8VhW9JIwUk

Postby Mercen-X » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Why would you be "banging around" inside the suit? Even a football helmet comes with insulators to fit it to a human's head size. It's not all about the chin strap. Cloth insulation is a simple accomplishment (although I don't know how you'd clean it cause cloth gets nasty). Pressurizing the suit should also be easy enough to avoid decompression sickness.

Sentios wrote:powered exoskeletons are all ready being developed for military and civilian usage
Could you imagine if football players wore powered suits?

Skree

Postby Sentios » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Maybe they'd kill each other more often and pro sports would go extinct.

And even with padding it's a matter of g-forces, you get smashed into some padding hard enough and it might as well not even be there.

Postby EagleMan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:42 pm

Your brain still smacks around the inside of your skull. I'm surprised Stark doesn't have brain damage. There's still an epidemic of brain injuries in football going on, so it's not like those helmets are perfect.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:54 pm

The problem for concussions in football is that as many of the concussions are from whiplash as it is direct head shots. And there's no way in a sport like football that you could immobilize players necks to prevent those injuries.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mathias » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:12 am

Why do people play these sports, anyway? Handegg players must be masochists.

Postby Mercen-X » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:03 pm

Whatis6times9 wrote:The problem for concussions in football is that as many of the concussions are from whiplash as it is direct head shots. And there's no way in a sport like football that you could immobilize players necks to prevent those injuries.

If bionic armor were perfected, it should be able to "lock up" on sudden impacts preventing the head from bouncing back and forth.
What prevents a jet pilot's brain from bouncing around in his skull?

Skree

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:17 pm

The potential for lots of money and the way their brains are wired. Wide receivers in particular are a special breed, they are trained to run at full speed, try to catch a ball being thrown in their direction, taking the risk of getting laid the fuck out as soon as they touch the ball and then get up and do it again.

Jet pilots aren't being subjected to wild swings in gforces, the most a pilot undertakes is about 10gs and they gradually ramp up and down from that level. A football collision can generate up to a 150gs and that force is imparted in a split second, the baseline for a concussions is about 100gs. As the old saying goes, "it's not the fall that kills, you it's the sudden stop at the end".
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sentios » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 am

That said sustained higher than normal g-s have all kinds of ill effects on the human body such as blackouts.

Postby Mercen-X » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:14 am

E. Paul Zehr: "We are a lot closer to producing an Iron Man than a Batman. The band-aid of technology that allows for an Iron Man is going to come a lot sooner, while with Batman we are already pushing the limits of our biology. The suit would remove the typical large forces that act on your body daily, like gravity for example. As a result you’d become extremely de-conditioned, similar to your body’s reaction to months of bed rest, or what astronauts experience within zero gravity. But our nervous system is amazing. We used to think it was all fixed, but that is not the case. The system can modify connections. Whether you are trying to become Iron Man this is what happens when you practice something, your brain really does change. That is sculpting a change in who you are. It puts the power in your hands in terms of who you want to be."

I'm not able to find anything about gs affects on the human body.

Skree

Postby Mr. Froggy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:49 am

Whatis6times9 wrote:I think we've grown up in a generation where we haven't had a giant breakthrough or even worse we seem to be back sliding on certain ideas(space exploration).

See? This shit right here. In the past ten years we've had so many world changing breakthroughs that we've just taken technological advances for granted. Nothing is the same as it was ten years ago, why people can't see this is beyond me. Smartphone technology gave us a multi-tool that can replace computers, cameras, books and libraries, credit card readers, mp3 players, going to the bank, etc., and it all fits in our pocket. We have cloud storage and cloud computing. WE HAVE RAIL GUNS AND LASER CANNONS IN OUR WAR SHIPS NOW! How in blazes are we not living in the future? Why do you think technology is moving at a snail's pace?

I'm starting to think that most people are more interested sci-fy than in technology. It's all Iron Man suits and robot hookers, nobody cares about carbon nano-tubes or limbs with feeling or any of this.

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion