Welcome to the Weirdness

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: Welcome to the Weirdness

Postby Ro Wong » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Belwicket wrote:Cloud, I happen to like it because of reasons I cannot (or will not) explain do to difficulty and/or explicitness. You have your reasons for not liking it but that does not mean everyone agrees with you.

He never stated that everyone agrees with him.
Demon of Elru

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:08 pm

I agree with him.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MQuinny1234 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Well that's practically everyone then.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:22 pm

Practically everyone. There's still people on that bandwagon. Though it's more like a wheelchair now.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Cloud3514 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:41 pm

About half of the people I know absolutely love the show. They also think I'm cynical for the sake of cynicism and refuse to accept that I might actually have a few valid criticisms.

Belwicket wrote:Cloud, I happen to like it because of reasons I cannot (or will not) explain do to difficulty and/or explicitness. You have your reasons for not liking it but that does not mean everyone agrees with you.

If you can't explain your reasons for liking something without being explicit, then you can go ahead and keep the Rule 34 to yourself.

Also, where did I say that I expected everyone to agree? All I did was explain some pretty blatant issues I had with the show and backed up those issues with a few facts.

Postby Guardian » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:44 pm

Don't worry about it. Bel is... different.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Cloud3514 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Oh, I've noticed, but its a rare chance to be able to have such easy fun with such a chew toy.

Postby Guardian » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:52 pm

I knew I felt something in common with you.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

Semper Vigilans

Postby Ro Wong » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:16 pm

I tend to just ignore it. I believe any attempts would have similar results to trying to say anything toward a wall.
Demon of Elru

Postby TheLivingCouch » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Amaranthine Ali wrote:Yo. Here I am in my once in a blue moon login. Thanks Rival and Couch. what's up?

Not to much. Just lurking around here lately, and started a new job some time ago. I'm so glad to finally be out of Dunkin. I should probably get off my but and join something but I just can't seem to some up with anything lately.

Postby Asmodai » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:34 am

Cloud3514 wrote:Oh, I've noticed, but its a rare chance to be able to have such easy fun with such a chew toy.

I.... I think I'm in love

Also, this was a really interesting read and I'd advice everyone to give this a try:

“Writing Advice: by Chuck Palahniuk In six seconds, you’ll hate me.
But in six months, you’ll be a better writer.
From this point forward—at least for the next half year—you may not use “thought” verbs. These include: Thinks, Knows, Understands, Realizes, Believes, Wants, Remembers, Imagines, Desires, and a hundred others you love to use.

The list should also include: Loves and Hates.
And it should include: Is and Has, but we’ll get to those later.

Until some time around Christmas, you can’t write: Kenny wondered if Monica didn’t like him going out at night…”

Instead, you’ll have to Un-pack that to something like: “The
mornings after Kenny had stayed out, beyond the last bus, until he’d had to bum a ride or pay for a cab and got home to find Monica faking sleep, faking because she never slept that quiet, those mornings, she’d only put her own cup of coffee in the microwave. Never his.”

Instead of characters knowing anything, you must now present the details that allow the reader to know them. Instead of a character wanting something, you must now describe the thing so that the reader wants it.

Instead of saying: “Adam knew Gwen liked him.” You’ll have to say: “Between classes, Gwen had always leaned on his locker when he’d go to open it. She’s roll her eyes and shove off with one foot, leaving a black-heel mark on the painted metal, but she also left the smell of her perfume. The combination lock would still be warm from her butt. And the next break, Gwen would be leaned there, again.”

In short, no more short-cuts. Only specific sensory detail: action, smell, taste, sound, and feeling.

Typically, writers use these “thought” verbs at the beginning of a paragraph (In this form, you can call them “Thesis Statements” and I’ll rail against those, later). In a way, they state the intention of the paragraph. And what follows, illustrates them.

For example:
“Brenda knew she’d never make the deadline. was backed up from the bridge, past the first eight or nine exits. Her cell phone battery was dead. At home, the dogs would need to go out, or there would be a mess to clean up. Plus, she’d promised to water the plants for her neighbor…”

Do you see how the opening “thesis statement” steals the thunder of what follows? Don’t do it.

If nothing else, cut the opening sentence and place it after all the others. Better yet, transplant it and change it to: Brenda would never make the deadline.

Thinking is abstract. Knowing and believing are intangible. Your story will always be stronger if you just show the physical actions and details of your characters and allow your reader to do the thinking and knowing. And loving and hating.

Don’t tell your reader: “Lisa hated Tom.”

Instead, make your case like a lawyer in court, detail by detail.

Present each piece of evidence. For example: “During roll call, in the breath after the teacher said Tom’s name, in that moment before he could answer, right then, Lisa would whisper-shout ‘Butt Wipe,’ just as Tom was saying, ‘Here’.”

One of the most-common mistakes that beginning writers make is leaving their characters alone. Writing, you may be alone. Reading, your audience may be alone. But your character should spend very, very little time alone. Because a solitary character starts thinking or worrying or wondering.

For example: Waiting for the bus, Mark started to worry about how long the trip would take…”

A better break-down might be: “The schedule said the bus would come by at noon, but Mark’s watch said it was already 11:57. You could see all the way down the road, as far as the Mall, and not see a bus. No doubt, the driver was parked at the turn-around, the far end of the line, taking a nap. The driver was kicked back, asleep, and Mark was going to be late. Or worse, the driver was drinking, and he’d pull up drunk and charge Mark seventy-five cents for death in a fiery traffic accident…”

A character alone must lapse into fantasy or memory, but even then you can’t use “thought” verbs or any of their abstract relatives.

Oh, and you can just forget about using the verbs forget and remember.

No more transitions such as: “Wanda remembered how Nelson used to brush her hair.”

Instead: “Back in their sophomore year, Nelson used to brush her hair with smooth, long strokes of his hand.”

Again, Un-pack. Don’t take short-cuts.

Better yet, get your character with another character, fast.
Get them together and get the action started. Let their actions and words show their thoughts. You—stay out of their heads.

And while you’re avoiding “thought” verbs, be very wary about using the bland verbs “is” and “have.”

For example:
“Ann’s eyes are blue.”

“Ann has blue eyes.”

Versus:

“Ann coughed and waved one hand past her face, clearing the cigarette smoke from her eyes, blue eyes, before she smiled…”

Instead of bland “is” and “has” statements, try burying your details of what a character has or is, in actions or gestures. At its most basic, this is showing your story instead of telling it.

And forever after, once you’ve learned to Un-pack your characters, you’ll hate the lazy writer who settles for: “Jim sat beside the telephone, wondering why Amanda didn’t call.”

Please. For now, hate me all you want, but don’t use thought verbs. After Christmas, go crazy, but I’d bet money you won’t.

(…)

For this month’s homework, pick through your writing and circle every “thought” verb. Then, find some way to eliminate it. Kill it by Un-packing it.

Then, pick through some published fiction and do the same thing. Be ruthless.

“Marty imagined fish, jumping in the moonlight…”

“Nancy recalled the way the wine tasted…”

“Larry knew he was a dead man…”

Find them. After that, find a way to re-write them. Make them stronger.”

TL;DR? Then it wasnt meant for you in the first place.
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:23 am

That's super interesting. I can definitely see where he is coming from. It might especially be useful around here as other players can't react to what you're character is thinking, only what you're doing. If you're describing them trembling and grinding their teeth, they can react to that, as opposed to just "he was angry", where it's not clear if this is something you should know. It can avoid a lot of confusion and make for more interactive play. I'd consider making it a rule for my next RP.

On the other hand, it also leads to post being longer and to be more carefully constructed which brings down the pace of the game :/

Regarding this meta-debate about opinions that's emerging on top of SAO, I haven't quite figured out if debating opinions is even a constructive thing to do. I know very much from personal experience that someone coming in to dump on something you like sucks, regardless of whether they have any valid points, and have done my share of dumping myself. Like, I just did that a two pages ago. It seems a very common action/reaction for a lot of people to love something and then a backlash of people finding it overrated and deconstructing it. But no one should ever feel ashamed for liking something, granted that's it's not downright criminal. Liking is joy, joy is good. If one is actually interested in discussing the value and objective merits of a particular piece of entertainment, then one should do that. But doing informed debate and trying to convince someone the thing they like isn't the same thing.
TL;DR I'm a massive hypocrite.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Asmodai » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:27 am

The thing is, we tend to take the things we like personally. So someone attacking something you like can easily be interpreted as an attack on that person, its just the way our brain works. We like to identify ourselves with the brands we buy, the people we admire, or shows we like. So if we were to admit that something we like isnt actually as good as we like to think it is, we see that as a personal failure.

Its the driving force behind the console war, because who wants to admit that the machine they paid hundreds of bucks for isnt as good as promised?
Mephobiac

Postby Sentios » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:05 am

The thing Asmodai posted makes me think of this. http://plonq.org/up/521cb1ece5ca1.jpg

While this is humorous it's not something I'd want to see everyone doing.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Ro Wong » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:12 am

@Asmo: Me. My PS3 could have much more conveniences that I would enjoy. And these are things that simply will not happen. But I accept this, just as I accept that nothing is ever -- nor ever going to be -- absolutely what I would hope it to be. It's similar to expecting perfection, which is just impossible. Nothing we ever create will be perfect. The concept of perfection is our creation and therefore imperfect.

Ego and pride cloud expectations far too often. It hinders our perceptions of facts and truths.
Demon of Elru

Postby Sentios » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:04 am

Ro Wong wrote:It's similar to expecting perfection, which is just impossible. Nothing we ever create will be perfect. The concept of perfection is our creation and therefore imperfect.

Yes, which is why I hate when people describe ideas I hold to be good as utopian. I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking something is 'perfect' to begin with yet people think it's the 'perfect' counterpoint somehow.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby BradaoOfCartha » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:28 pm

Well, it's been a while since I was on here last. I have a lot of catching up to do... So how is everyone? New format threw me for a loop momentarily when I came on.
Hey everybody, PandaBrady here, with more roleplaying!

Also, please support Monty Oum, his work is amazing, especially RWBY. I wish I was that good.

Postby Guardian » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:43 pm

Decent I suppose. Could be worse, could be better.

Semper Vigilans

Postby BradaoOfCartha » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:16 am

I hear you, I've been so busy this summer...It's lousy. I can't even update my Youtube channel as often as I like.
Hey everybody, PandaBrady here, with more roleplaying!

Also, please support Monty Oum, his work is amazing, especially RWBY. I wish I was that good.

Postby Guardian » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:02 pm

Oh yeah man. I wish I could just get some free time as well so I can update my stuff as well. Not YouTube, more like DA. But still, I want some Blordy time to just kick back, chill, read a good book, do some of that fine drawing stuff.

Semper Vigilans

Postby Asmodai » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:36 am

I havent posted any animations in ages...

Mephobiac

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:42 pm

I think you were the one that posted about Ava's Demon before(not to mention the avatar), I'd like to thank you for sharing that, I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Asmodai » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:01 am

A shame its on hiatus till January 2nd.... But after that, double updates per week!
Mephobiac

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:46 pm

A trade I'm okay with.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:58 pm

That sounds more like building a buffer than a hiatus.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing