Brother Orin's Art

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Brother Orin's Art

Postby Brother Orin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:I like the design of Geopaw, she looks a lot cuter than the Asura do in the games. She's simply adorable.
Are these characters you created in the Character Creation of the actual game or did you just make them up?

Yes, these are my character I mostly play, it's been a while though. Asuras, for me, always had that "so ugly, they're cute" thing for me.

And thank you for the wishes, guys, I'm hoping to get the rest of the list done before the end of summer, I'm still working on concept art design to fill up my portfolio.
At your service.

Postby Brother Orin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:54 pm

Not dead, just focused on job submissions, I do have some pics slowly in the process, one is a belated picture for my brother, a commission and an old character of mine.

Per request of others elsewhere, I'm going to go ahead and drop off my portfolio here, has petty much what I have here, just a little more professional to submit.

http://orineves.crevado.com/
At your service.

Postby Brax4 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Your website is nice, very simplified and easy to use. I'm quite the minimalist so it looks great to me.

What'd you code it in?
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Brother Orin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Brax4 wrote:Your website is nice, very simplified and easy to use. I'm quite the minimalist so it looks great to me.

What'd you code it in?

It's a free web site that I could upload images into separate galleries, I'll have to study code if I want to make my own web page, but for now, I'm using Crevado.

A little quickie pic, joking around about the recent poll on EQD.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/08/p ... andom.html

One day, all the OCs will know the versatile merchant that is Mellow Trades.

Maybe not...

But possibly...

((A proverbial cookie for those who get the reference.))
At your service.

Postby Brother Orin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Wanted to do something for my brother who's stuck in base for the summer, so let's have his character, Maximus, become the test subject for Mellow Trades' new body spray.

Someone didn't read the fine print, pray for him.

Luv-A-Dub Body Spray, In Stores Now!
Last edited by Brother Orin on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At your service.

Postby Sig Skellington » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:00 pm

Right... because something like that never turns out to be a bad idea.

Good art, Brother.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Awesome work again Brother Odin. Popping by to practice my art critique for selfish reasons if you don't mind and also just want to start commenting on people's work more.

Your art certainly does improve. It's got more motion, I could almost imagine this being a snap shot from an anime at the moment. Keep it up and your drawings just might come to life as it's own anime. But yes, love the hair (Where do they get their haircuts from). It's mostly to do with the shade, the shade makes your character's hair look awesome as cheese on toast. Also like the sweat drop, it looks so 3D and so detailed.
Anyways do have some criticism, that's just my own opinion, I'd admit I'm not as good an artist by a wide margin, but I'm certain it's in my right to opinion (Sorry, kind of anxious in case you're not noticing). You see the cat right? One up in the air? See her leg? It looks as if it snapped. I can't really hold you for it as it does look like some really-really hard to do, but can't blame you for trying. But I think it's because the way it's hooked around the arm is the problem, it's hard to explain, but just trying to say it's the way the leg is wrapped around the arm. Also I really really can't imagine what action follows, does the cat lady drop? does she flip pass? Or is she flying? I can't tell? I literally can't.

Hope I wasn't harsh there or anything, but hope you enjoyed my feedback at least.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby noxux » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:22 pm

Great job Brother Orin, as always is fun and good.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Brother Orin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks for the comments and the critique.

And for Walrus' critique, while I appreciate a good critique every now and then, allow me to constructively criticize the constructive criticism(criti-ception!)

WalrusM3 wrote:You see the cat right? One up in the air?

I'll stop you right there, this sounds like you're implying that I don't know the difference from the cat in the air to the human on the right, or the Rabbit kneeling on the ground, or the pony in the corner.
I know which character you're referring to, having to ask me if I know which of my own characters you're referring to comes off as more of an insult than a constructive critique, while not everyone will feel the same as me, I take my designs seriously and I feel like you needing to specify which character is the cat is because my characters look like clones of each other.

Again, this is just a pet peeve of mine, but have faith in the artist for knowing the difference between a cat and a dog and being able to draw the differences.

WalrusM3 wrote:See her leg? It looks as if it snapped. I can't really hold you for it as it does look like some really-really hard to do, but can't blame you for trying. But I think it's because the way it's hooked around the arm is the problem, it's hard to explain, but just trying to say it's the way the leg is wrapped around the arm.

The leg would look weird on any other character, I agree, but I wanted to make this an exception for Alice to show off her styles of a contortion acrobat who is also a Shadow Arcana, a mage who uses magic to perform illusions and other trickery, the leg was supposed to be a psyche-out to the viewers, but critique approved otherwise.

WalrusM3 wrote:Also I really really can't imagine what action follows, does the cat lady drop? does she flip pass? Or is she flying? I can't tell? I literally can't.

Don't over think it, it's meant to look like any television commercial or magazine ad, there really is no follow up, like most ads. It's not a story, it's just a fun image I made for my brother.

Other than pointing out the leg, the rest of the critique seemed more like issues against personal flavor and passive insults.
Just remember the difference between a critique and issues against personal flavor, but for here...

3/10: No Sale. Sorry...

Thank you for the critique.

Side note: It's Orin, not Odin.
At your service.

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:52 am

Hm, not sure if you took my criticism all that well. You were rather defensive. So jumping pass giving critique-critique-critique. I'll just go onto one of the important skills an artist should have, accepting criticism.

3/10: No sale... Yeah, aren't I mature :grin:

Thank you for responding.

An obsessed freak

Postby Brother Orin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:42 pm

I always acknowledge critiques and I acknowledged your only critique about the leg, of course I would defend against what were unnecessary add ons that went against one's personal interest.
You said your were practicing on giving a critique, all I did was let you know what was actually critiques or not.
At your service.

Postby Brother Orin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Working on colored line designs.
I wanted to make another pic with Gemini, because everyone seems to take a liking to her.

Gemini: "Get use to looking up this high, because next time, you'll be looking up THROUGH the ground!"
At your service.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:25 pm

DIVE KICK!!!

Edit: Kind of think I should say more than just some silly little comment.
Its a pretty good angel and the motion blur on the foot makes it look almost like the character is coming right off the screen and right at my face. Well done.
Bark

Postby Brax4 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:24 pm

The perspective of this is outstanding! I really like the effect put on the foot, and the posing and muscles seem very natural. Very nice work Orin, as always!
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Sig Skellington » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:13 pm

Keep Calm and Foot Dive.
Looks fantastic, man. Lovin' the blurred view of the foot, helps bring a sense of perspective.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Cerulean » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:13 am

This is pleasantly disorienting. I love how the perspective makes me think that she is coming towards me. Good work c:
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Creppy Eggy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:50 am

I like the First-Person POV you did there Orin! The "pain-meter" from the sides of the First-Person View is really cool. Feels like you're fighting her! (IT'S SO REAL! D:)
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby Brother Orin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks again for the comments once again.

Found an old character in my archives that I wanted to redesign, this might end up as becoming a series of characters based off of martial art disciplines.

An undefeated streak, a perfect athlete's body and a science genius, if you need a description about Dice Carloman, Flawless is the only word you need to know about her.
At your service.

Postby Brax4 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:23 pm

Looks awesome. A little expression really goes a long way, gives you a bit of how the character acts. Posing and coloring is great as always.

And I see you've moved to PNG files, love it.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby noxux » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Looks great, grumpy but great and I like the details of the clothes like those things in the arms( I don't know how is it called)and the pose.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Brother Orin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:06 pm

Brax4 wrote:Looks awesome. A little expression really goes a long way, gives you a bit of how the character acts. Posing and coloring is great as always.

And I see you've moved to PNG files, love it.

Thanks, I might have more coming up.
I've been using PNGs, I guess it just wasn't noticeable on pictures with backgrounds on them.

noxux wrote:Looks great, grumpy but great and I like the details of the clothes like those things in the arms( I don't know how is it called)and the pose.

Thanks for that, I think they're called rope hand wraps, but I'm not 100% confident about that.
At your service.

Postby Sig Skellington » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:51 pm

She's kinda got one of those "Just try it." looks going there. I like it.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Brother Orin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks for the comment.

Karate is up next.

A bodyguard to the business industrialist, Lexington Draco, Chang Lightning has been sent to the tournament to promote the Ryuken Dojo, a relentless Karate training camp were mercy is abandoned.
At your service.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:52 am

Nice work as usual.

This might be kind of an uncommon question, but when you draw the fighting stances of the characters how accurate do you try to make it? Do you look up a bunch stuff of people who know these fighting style and how they stand and try to get something of yours to look as close to it as you possibly make it? I assume you do since the whole point of these last two is the characters based off of fighting styles.

I don't know much about fighting styles outside of Tae Kwon Do and even that isn't a whole lot, so I'm just asking out of curiosity.
Bark

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Do have to enjoy this set you're doing Brother Odin. (Kind of miss the beach set though :twisted: I love being myself a little too much). But you've somehow greatly improved the tone of the body, as in the atomony (Argh! What kind of artist doesn't know how to spell that word) and all that stuff and the shading's not too bad. Though there's something wrong Chang Lightening's right arm. It's hard to say what, but I'm going to toss a guess here and say it's the shoulder. It should be a little more flat or stretch out, but instead it looks like the shoulder thinks the arm is flat against the body. My opinion anyways.

One thing I'd like to see you do next though Brother Odin is do actual fight scenes or more action scenes. As your perspectives and how fluid you make your characters is quite good that it would be fun to see you play around with that little bit more.

An obsessed freak

PreviousNext

Return to Art