Request's (Please read the first page)

Info on new stuff coming/being worked on for Snafu.
Also, post/Report bugs/problems you may find, here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Request's

Postby Hiroko » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:59 pm

@Tenshi Nova: No no, I mean that I didn't see the white flashes at all during the time people were first reporting it, back when it was still an issue.

@Brax: I'm using Google Chrome. But now that you mention it, I decided to go check the forum out on Firefox to see if there was a difference, and there was--only when I was on Firefox did I experience the white flashes between loading pages, and the names were large and centered like I think they're supposed to be, whereas they're still small and left-aligned on Google Chrome.
The Sentimental One

Postby Havoc » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:05 pm

A lot of everything that I wanted to point out, has already been pointed out in the posts above me. However, I was thinking, the icon next to the locked threads, maybe it should be a padlock icon, instead of a prohibited icon, and the gender icons, I like the old ones better. I know it's not much, but that's all I can think of right now.
Also I don't see the link to Snafu Mobile anywhere. I don't know if it's missing, or I'm just not seeing it.

@Hiroko: I'm using Google Chrome too, and I've also noticed the white flashes.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:47 pm

I don't have any white flashes now.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:55 pm

Me neither
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Twitter
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Havoc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:15 am

Same here.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Q.U. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:21 am

When using the "View first unread post" option to get into a thread, the top panel covers up the thread title and the very top of the post. The height to which it takes you should be re-adjusted for the height of the top panel, so that it doesn't cover the username and thread title of the post it takes you to.

Example of the problem:

Also, the quick reply's emoticons and box show up regardless if you have it on "show" or "hide".

And, could the "one click ban" and "flag" buttons be a little smaller/less explicit colour? Right now they are clashing with the usernames a little. Either that or a little more spacing between would be required.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Glacial Expanse » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:52 am

This is probably the most innovative forum revamps I've ever seen. One thing I didn't bother noticing was that at the bottom of each thread there is a link that returns you to Spam's thread list. This is so convenient I'll be using it in days to come. Overhead bar stands out very well (Combat Arms prior to the forum's change did something exactly like this to their website as well for their 3.0 update) and I really like how you show who's online and who's not. Who else could have thought of that? You did.

Regardless, there are probably lots of changes to make for this theme, but don't take it the wrong way, I'm not exaggerating when I say that. It could be better than this. In fact at the Post Reply page I end up clicking on Preview a lot because it's in the middle. Also the reply box looks way nicer than the quick reply box for some reason.

So I'm thinking...

Quick Reply:
- Reorganize it so that the first five checkboxes are in a column followed by the last four, and then followed by the color boxes.
- The code buttons should stay under it and then the smilies should be under the code buttons as well. Should look a little less awkward.
- This also may eliminate the need for Hide Reply Options too. [Hide] Post a reply works.

Post a Reply page:
- Liking the check boxes being at the bottom; have it arranged the same way as I've said for the quick reply for more options.
- However this stuff here can go before those checkboxes as well:
BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

- By utilizing this, the color boxes can have more room. Oh yeah, almost forgot, the smilies should also go under the code buttons like the quick reply box as well.
- Topic review could stay where it is, just keep the line that separates it from the color boxes.

They're probably more like suggestions than request, but I'm interested in contributing my feedback.
This too shall pass.

Postby Cerulean » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:07 am

I noticed that when you preview a post, the cancel button isn't there anymore.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:42 am

Hey Thomas, very good design in my opinion. I have just 2 minor beefs. Didn't have time to read the whole thread, so if either was already mentioned, please excuse.

1. The button that returns you to the board index placed beneath the quick reply box is located near the "subscribe topic" button. I'd place it higher, next to the "return to X forum" button.

2. Read topics are marked white, while unread topics are marked blue. Seems counter-intuitive, topics marked read should have a darker colour than the unread ones.

Thanks for your time reading this and for all of your hard work.

Since I don't want you to bother Thomas with something he's not responsible for, and since Blood Lord's explanation was basically a half-assed "It's a thingy until we get more thingies". Allow me to explain.

Thomas has nothing to do with the "needs to post more" display. BeeAre implemented that in March using his admin options, for every member below gold/mod status. In his own words BeeAre wanted "the natural predisposition for posters in their profiles to go "oh I need to post more"".

Here I'll even link you the post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54558&p=3384432&hilit#p3384432

Please lurk more, I don't think I spend even 1/10 of the time you do in Spam. And even I knew this.
Last edited by Rival on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Birdofterror » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:00 am

To the people above saying there isn't a white, you're about 99% right. When going from section to section there is no more white flashing.

But I've noticed the whiteness still applies if you just then ENTER the site. If you're already in, navigating it no longer has the white flash- assuming it isn't already pre-loaded. Very small nit pick, but it's there. I'll keep reloading the site to see if it wasn't just a one time thing.

Edit: Did it about 3 more times and only got the flash once in total. I guess if you've already booted up the site recently it won't flash again. Maybe a one time thing.

Edit2, a long time later: AHHHH- I just had a HUGE white one. The site was stuck for a while before loading and it was all white and shit. No, the white certainly hasn't loosened its grip on us (or at least just me) yet.
Last edited by Birdofterror on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby The Mad Doctor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:19 am

What happened to the new banner? It went missing.
Not Space Jesus

Postby Q.U. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:39 am

People started pissing on it and it got shy and left.

It's your fault.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Birdofterror » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:42 am

The Snafu-Comic Banner? It looks like it's still there to me. Is there another banner I should know about?
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:17 am

Oh look, I'm a reference 8D

1. The colour box right above the post reply box is a lot more noticeable. And since not a lot of folks in spam don't really use it, making an option to hide that would be something.
2. The personal banners, like Thomas' and Grey's, seem stretched. Might want to see if something is causing that.
3. This:
It seems in messages the icon makes that boarder appear. It's not unappealing, but don't know if it's necessary and could be worked around.
4. The searches, unlike in the last build look more cluttered since the larger boarder space is back. Any way of making it less so?

Also along with #4 while searching, there's this white box next to the page numbers that doesn't do anything. Don't know if it's supposed to or not.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Sentios » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:58 am

Rival wrote:2. Read topics are marked white, while unread topics are marked blue. Seems counter-intuitive, topics marked read should have a darker colour than the unread ones.

Partially disagree. Unread topics are highlighted by having a color different from white, while I think having a darker color for read topics might make a little more sense with the forum's color scheme it wouldn't look right to have these colors reversed which seems like what you were suggesting.

Mr. Sefrol wrote:1. The colour box right above the post reply box is a lot more noticeable. And since not a lot of folks in spam don't really use it, making an option to hide that would be something.

There's a toggle for it in normal replies (works) and quick replies (doesn't work). I imagine it's on the 'to fix' list.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:20 am

I've always used quick replies, so I never noticed.

Also found another couple things.

1. Before if you had a large image you were going to post, it would resize itself in your preview of it, but now it doesn't, nor does it give the scroll bar to show it all. It just cuts off the image. It still resizes it once you post, but it got me worried when I first saw it.
2. Along with icons sliding to the left, I see now that Q.U.'s signature picture being slid in the opposite direction by the text to the far right instead of the text being below it. Don't think it's supposed to do that. Haven't seen any other sigs with that, but it might be because it's a gif.
An Optimist

Postby Rival » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:37 am

Sentios wrote:Partially disagree. Unread topics are highlighted by having a color different from white, while I think having a darker color for read topics might make a little more sense with the forum's color scheme it wouldn't look right to have these colors reversed which seems like what you were suggesting.

Nah I guess I just phrased it poorly. I didn't mean to suggest reversing the current colours, I just mentioned them so that people know what I describe. I just think the read topics should be marked by some far darker colour, than the one they are using right now.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Re: Request's (Please read the first page)

Postby Q.U. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:11 am

2. Along with icons sliding to the left, I see now that Q.U.'s signature picture being slid in the opposite direction by the text to the far right instead of the text being below it. Don't think it's supposed to do that. Haven't seen any other sigs with that, but it might be because it's a gif.

My sig had been due for a little formatting that I've been putting off. So I changed it around a bit, along with the temporary avatar, since we have a new forum theme it's only reasonable to adjust my theme once it appears. The way it slides next to the text is intended, and a part of the forum text formatting functions, of which you have no idea and never make use because you're still a scrub. <3

Postby Mir@k » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:18 am

Iow he used the wrapimg tag. Along with the font= and u tags it's probably one of the least used but pretty useful tags.
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:24 am

Oh, I thought it was some sort of coding error that the forum was causing. Well, at least it's good to know it's not an issue. That would probably have been a bitch to find the cause for such a weird thing to happen. iuno, don't do code.

Never use that wrapimg myself except once, so didn't come to mind. Doesn't really look right on the right.
An Optimist

Postby Q.U. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 am

You don't know what you're talking about, it looks great.

Also, I have a request. I'll be digging through the things I've come up with and noted on skype so that I remember what I wanted before.
mcp.php?i=139
I'd love it if "edit" logs instead of "View topic | View forum" had a "View topic | View post" function. Don't know how doable it is, but if it is, it would allow me to find the edited post without having to dig through a whole (sometimes a 100 page long) thread.

Postby Thomas » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:34 am

Before you read all this, keep in mind that some stuff that you see but other do not, may be cause you browser is still chased on old forum fuctions.
Try pressing shift+F5 to see if that improves things.

Bellorosso del Fiore wrote:Dude I miss the bleedman banner already. You could have just made it smaller and slightly thinner, then put the big 'snafu-comic.' sign on it (it looks funny lol.)

TheMadDoctor wrote:What happened to the new banner? It went missing.

Lot's of people didn't like it, so I removed it for now.
It may come back a little diffirent when I (or someone in a contest(wink), makes a better one).

Hiryu wrote:Awesomesauce. And how are on regular titles? Can we use commas, exclamation marks and whatnot or is that still buggy like hell?

I have no idea, I will look into that later.

Tenshi Nova wrote:snafu-comics, the missing s is just annoying me.

Brax4 wrote:Also I'd rather the title of the page be Snafu-Comics, not Snafu-Comic. (This one really is just personal preference, so it doesn't matter if the title changes or not)

Fixed

Randori wrote:Oh, I just remembered somethin'.
Thomas, I was always wondering why almost every member (excluding those with special titles) have the title "Needs To Post More".
I was wondering if you could either explain it or remove it... or both.

Talk to BR about that

Hiroko wrote:I think we need a link back to the comics added to the bar, as I can't seem to see a link for that, and I'm sure people reading the comics will need that.

Done

Birdofterror wrote:Avatars aren't centered anymore and can cause titles/name/avatar combos to seem very weird. Names and Titles seem to be Centered, but Avatars seem like the odd ones out.

Whatis6times9 wrote:Avatars need to be centered with the names, a few users with smaller avatars have them really far to the left compared to their name and it doesn't look right.

Brax4 wrote:There seems to be a few issues with avatars.
1. You've probably seen that there is a centering problem, which makes the avatar left and their name centered.

Done

Brax4 wrote:2. If the member does not have a self-proclaimed title, then their username appears to sit on top of their avatar without any space in between. Users like Yog, the 'g' in his name actually hangs behind his avatar.
3. About the same issue as number 2, and I only noticed this on one member, it's Grey, his username sits on top of his personal banner and will probably be fixed by fixing problem 2.

I also forgot, the [show] / [hide] button isn't working for the quick reply. Once again, not a major issue.

Can you provide print screens and your browser?

Hiroko wrote:Additionally, people are saying that the Names and Titles are centered while the avatar is not--which isn't entirely the case for me, as only the titles and title banners are centered, but both the names and the avatars are left-aligned.

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m51 ... 424405.png

Not quite sure why that is.

That's a little wierd, I also use chrome, and it works in every browser I have tested.
Try holding shift(or is it ctrl?) and press F5.
it might fix things for you

Havoc751 wrote:I was thinking, the icon next to the locked threads, maybe it should be a padlock icon, instead of a prohibited icon, and the gender icons, I like the old ones better.
Also I don't see the link to Snafu Mobile anywhere. I don't know if it's missing, or I'm just not seeing it.

These icons are temporary, I will make new ones shortly.
I will also include a link to snafu mobile soon.

Q.U. wrote:When using the "View first unread post" option to get into a thread, the top panel covers up the thread title and the very top of the post. The height to which it takes you should be re-adjusted for the height of the top panel, so that it doesn't cover the username and thread title of the post it takes you to.

Example of the problem:

http://i.imgur.com/uf5q6vO.jpg

Also, the quick reply's emoticons and box show up regardless if you have it on "show" or "hide".

And, could the "one click ban" and "flag" buttons be a little smaller/less explicit colour? Right now they are clashing with the usernames a little. Either that or a little more spacing between would be required.

1.It is cause the ancor point is placed where the menu is, and the menu is "floating" and does not adjust for that.
I could probably fix it but it is very low priority now.

2.I'm gonna redesign the quick reply feature soon.

3.Yeah I know, I will look into that later cause I also dislike that.

Cerulean wrote:I noticed that when you preview a post, the cancel button isn't there anymore.

I will see what I can do about that.

Rival wrote:1. The button that returns you to the board index placed beneath the quick reply box is located near the "subscribe topic" button. I'd place it higher, next to the "return to X forum" button.

2. Read topics are marked white, while unread topics are marked blue. Seems counter-intuitive, topics marked read should have a darker colour than the unread ones.

1 and 2. yeah that makes sense when I think about it, I will fix that shortly.

Mr. Sefrol wrote:2. The personal banners, like Thomas' and Grey's, seem stretched. Might want to see if something is causing that.
3. This:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/ ... 88f3ec.png
It seems in messages the icon makes that boarder appear. It's not unappealing, but don't know if it's necessary and could be worked around.
4. The searches, unlike in the last build look more cluttered since the larger boarder space is back. Any way of making it less so?

Also along with #4 while searching, there's this white box next to the page numbers that doesn't do anything. Don't know if it's supposed to or not.

2. Pics please

3. What browser do you use (also is it an older browser version)?

4. More pics please.

Mr. Sefrol wrote:1. Before if you had a large image you were going to post, it would resize itself in your preview of it, but now it doesn't, nor does it give the scroll bar to show it all. It just cuts off the image. It still resizes it once you post, but it got me worried when I first saw it.

1. It works for me (read the top of this post and do what it says, and see if that works).

Q.U. wrote:Also, I have a request. I'll be digging through the things I've come up with and noted on skype so that I remember what I wanted before.
mcp.php?i=139
I'd love it if "edit" logs instead of "View topic | View forum" had a "View topic | View post" function. Don't know how doable it is, but if it is, it would allow me to find the edited post without having to dig through a whole (sometimes a 100 page long) thread.

I will look into that
I bought a winrar license
Thomas

Power level: 57'000
Origin story: ?

Postby Q.U. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:48 am

I have the same thing. It's in PMs, when the avatar is apparently bigger than the allowed space for it.

Using Firefox 18.0.2.

Do you mean this? Image
Because that's just an icon showing that there are multiple pages, it's just not meant for this particular theme. I assume that's a placeholder.

Postby Mir@k » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:51 am

Funny thing but i just started seeing the white flash with the unformatted text everyone is talking about.
I think it only happens when connection is low and the page hasn't done loading.
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Thomas » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:56 am

Mir@k wrote:Funny thing but i just started seeing the white flash with the unformatted text everyone is talking about.
I think it only happens when connection is low and the page hasn't done loading.

I am working on the site right now so that might be why
I bought a winrar license
Thomas

Power level: 57'000
Origin story: ?

PreviousNext

Return to Dev forum