Snafu Art Voting Thread

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Snafu Art Voting Thread

Postby Cerulean » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:57 am

I don't see why you (or anyone) wouldn't c:

Something neat might also involve having a "mentor" advise each team/contestant on grammar, word choice, or even awkward phrases. This way the people who have trouble with grammatical errors and what not wouldn't be at a disadvantage in such a contest (I'm mostly referring to the people who speak other languages as a first language).
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:00 am

I like the team idea,it sound interesting and fun.

Postby Cerulean » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:18 am

What if someone were to create a sig banner for the next contest? It could be used to remind the other users to vote in the contest (clicking on it would take you directly to the voting thread). The sig banner could be PM'd to each contestant whenever voting starts. It'd be recommended, but completely optional (in the event that the person really liked their own signature) . Of course, it'd only work if the contestants posted more in the other sections of the forum, however it could also help the newer members adjust to being members of the community.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigment » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:19 am

TheOctoberScarf wrote:I like the team idea,it sound interesting and fun.
Sounds like it could be fun if the Snafu brass got behind it.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby GiffProd » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:29 am

If I remeber correctly, the team option existed in this contest (just that no one decided to do it in teams). Anyway, it does sound like a very cool idea though.

On the Bleedman style discussion, I agree with Ari-6. This type of contest should be about bringing out something new and original to the table (in relation to style). It would still be nice to be able to use Bleedman characters (at least as background characters), being that it is a commission from him; but I'm okay with that being blocked for the aforementioned purposes.

I rather enjoyed this contest. I really liked that Q.U. gave his opinion on each of the entries. It shows that each of us was appreciated and it motivates us to improve more and more each day. If posible I would like to see a prize for second place, maybe not a commission, but something.

Anyway, congradulations to everyone for the great work and congradulations to Laudine for winning =)

Hope to see you all in the next contest =)

Postby Tenshi Nova » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:30 am

Cerulean wrote:Yes he is. Hmm, good question. Maybe, instead of having two threads for each contest, a team contest would have three threads.

Thread 1: Announcement of Contest, Rules, Tickets (for entry)
Thread 2: Contest Team Discussion (Here people would place a "Wanted:Literature/Art Partner" post. This thread would solely be for the discussion of whether or not you need a team mate. The first post in said thread would be updated with confirmed team members)
Thread 3: Voting

Or something like that.

The idea sounds good. Things people would have to take into consideration involve schedules, ideas, respect for their partner, etc. It sounds judging such a thing would be difficult, one team might have superior art, pitted against another with superior writing, not saying it's a bad thing, but interesting.

Another question this brings up, what are the true genders of some of our other members? HUH HUH c:
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Etherian » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Sorry for not voting in time. I have been very busy of late, which did not work well with my attempt at thoroughness. Hopefully my comments will still be useful. I also hope that my post is not badly timed; I intentionally did not read any previous posts before making this one.

I obviously was not expecting to win, but I was surprised by the number and skill of my competitors. Choosing a favorite was difficult.

3) Mad-Mutt's unique take on the summer theme caught my eye in Marching On. I always enjoy unique, creative perspectives. Unfortunately, it took his explanation of the picture for me to understand it. The idea that it is a summer parade of fun-loving monsters is not as obvious as I think it ought to be. I would like to have seen the parade concept played out more, to make the irony even more distinct.

2) Cerulean's Summer Fireworks Show reminds me most of summer, as watching fireworks is a big summertime tradition for my family. Despite its simplicity, it inspires a strong emotion, a somber feeling of awe. An addition that would have enhanced this effect for me is some sort of lens distortion or effect in the glasses, something to make the viewer feel more like they were wearing them.

1) Last Glimpse of Summer by Laudine wins my vote because it captured both my eye and my mind. The sea fighting the sky. The sky burning into night. The wave's crest blending into the stars. The peek into the sea's depths. The quality shows her depth as well as her talent. Something unusual about the image is that the focus, the three girls, is not where the picture is at its best. As the accompanying blog post states, the piece is about the beauty and variability of nature. Compared to all that vivacity, the figures seem muted. If I can make a suggestion for such a excellent work, it would be to have the characters become part of the landscape. Instead of viewing their surroundings, separate and independent, they might reflect them, adding greater meaning to both. One girl could stand in the water, taking in the final waves' crashes. Another could stare longingly at the withering sky and the third recline on the sand, contemplating summer's end.
Last edited by Etherian on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Mir@k » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Votes were already closed but im sure the participants appreciate your words
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Votes have been updated.

Laudine is our winner, we'll get you hooked up right to get a free commission from Bleedman.
Unless you don't show up then the prize defaults to the mod with the pony avatar.
JK, guys. or am I?

Postby Exodis » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Based on your avi I can't take you seriously.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Deemed as the best, Outlawed as the worst.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Universal Swordsman

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:02 pm

I know...

Postby CTCFirebird » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:22 pm

Haha Wow. This is interesting. Sorry, I was late on the votes, but in case of anyone was interested, I would vote for TheOctoberScarf. Good thing I'm not one of the contestants lol
I am the Winner

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:46 pm

I'm curious to know why you would've voted for me,everyone else had there reasons :3

Postby Exodis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:49 pm

BECAUSE HE LOVES YOU!
Scandaaaaaaaaal
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.

The Universal Swordsman

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:57 pm

o.o but I don't know this person

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:59 pm

Scandaaaaaaaaal-ous.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:20 pm

That show,people referred to me with that show cause my real name is TJ.

Postby Exodis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:39 pm

... Terry Johnson?

The Universal Swordsman

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:32 pm

no mine is Thomas James but the character in the series is always called TJ

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Theodore Jasper Detweiler.

You should make a pic of the you with the character. Just a thought.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:24 pm

nuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Postby CTCFirebird » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:06 pm

TheOctoberScarf wrote:I'm curious to know why you would've voted for me,everyone else had there reasons :3

What a coincidence! I don't know you either!
Because I felt like it LOL
No...
My reason is that the thought and creativity you've put into this. The inking of the lineart are crisp clean lines. The lighting and shading looks good along with the expressions. Although, I guess that the Despicable character on the left should probably have like a bit of blush if anything. Because the way how that character expression is from Mimi is grabbing his- what I believe is a Speedo- with her teeth. As for the other Despicable character, all he could think about is making Maine Deviled Crab out of Mimi because they don't have anything on the grill.

What I look for in artwork is something creative and that it tells a story just like paintings and things like that. And this piece has that. Not only that, but the title is creative which I guess EVERYONE had and is still having it.

Plus, I want to add that what this piece is telling me is that they are either at the beach or stranded on an island.

@ Mad-Mutt - I'm sorry, I just don't know what this is suppose to be telling me. It just looks pretty random. You might want to tell me what exactly is going on with that.

@ Brother Orin - I'm not sure what the purple and blue ends are suppose to be. Though, do like the bird's eye view focus and what you did with her hair with the lighting and shading. The anatomy looks somewhat proportioned, but yet it doesn't. Her boobs and arm are a problem. Her boobs are not suppose to be that high. It needs to be slightly lowered by a few inches. The line you have by her boobs facing towards the arm, is not suppose to be going on the top of her deltoids to clavicle. Its suppose to be between her deltoid to her bicep. You need a little bit of chest there... Those boobs are a bit too high. Plus, she's wearing a bikini bra. It doesn't look that tight, but loose. Think about it, if it was tight, she would feel discomfort around her boobs. Just like the old days when women couldn't wear pants when farming and had to wear those tight tops with loose big skirts. They felt discomfort around their boobs. Until one day, one woman decided to wear the pants and stuff cause it was loose, comfortable and breathable for her to get her work done while everybody else looked at her funny. So, yeah... I could see the contrapposto which is good!

You might wanna practice a bit on the hands and feet. I know they're hard, but practice makes perfect! Plus, you also would want to put some more hint other than the navel and knees.

@ WalrusM3 - It's too flat... You have some nice trees that leads to the Forbidden Forrest! Don't worry, you'll get there! I was like that at one point, but I had to study the basics. I would recommend you Burne Hogarth and George B. Bridgman to help you in your practices. Though, it tells a pretty interesting story!

@ Cerulean AKA bluebluetopaz - I guess this piece is suppose to be someone looking at fireworks and that is the moon in first person. That moon is pretty close up. I feel like as if I was watching Bruce Almighty lol. Though you might want to have some of that erased if those are fireworks and to put some bits and pieces of white light there. Some might think they are dust bunnies.

@ Etherian - Ooh! Blender! Well, not much for me to say on 3D art. Though, the water is a bit flat on the image.

@ H Reaper - Nice, but the forearm is not that flat. Need to curve it a little bit. Uh…. The lighting and shading on the pants looks a bit like skeleton legs.

@ YesterdaysLingo - LMFAO!!! Nice story boards! Especially, the second-to-last panel!

@ Ari-6 - Mimi looks like Himari from Omamori Himari. Thought the characters look good and the fold overlapping on the clothes, and the fact of the lighting and shading looks bad ass, backgrounds seems to need some more work.

@ GiffProd - Too flat…

@ Laudine - WOW!!! That is SWEET! If you don't mind, I am currently following you on tumblr. I gotta be honest, I didn't see this yet. Although, if we could have a second vote, I'd vote for you! I basically voted for TheOctoberScarf. This is like ImagineFX stuff here!
Last edited by CTCFirebird on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Winner

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:27 pm

thank you :)

Postby ZeldaOlnii » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:00 am

Postby Q.U. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:05 am

You're a little late.

Good effort though.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Updates and News!