Snafu Art Voting Thread

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Snafu Art Voting Thread

Postby Mir@k » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:12 pm

In this case i think the person most deserving of my vote is Laudine. Symbolism counts, and this is a summer picture all in all, from the colors to the elements in it.
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Twitter

"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Morpheus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:13 am

I'm also going to give my vote to Laudine.
The overall atmosphere of the picture made it for me.

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Thank you.

The voting is closed, we can see who the winner is, but I'll check through everything and make sure it checks out.

Until then, you guys are free to discuss how you felt the contest went, what worked well, and what you would like to see in the next one.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:59 pm

yeah its pretty obvious who won

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:09 pm

Oh shut it already. You seem so sour every single time you post about it.
And if you're joking
TheOctoberScarf wrote:Its hard to tell when people are joking online....
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigment » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:13 pm

It's like when you make a really great snowman in the Winter, and the guy across the street makes the snow equivalent to Michelangelo's David. An exaggeration, I'm sure, but you get my point.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:29 pm

jeeze calm down :/ look whose being sour

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:53 pm

But I would like to say this.

When competing in this contest,I was excited,and seeing the other entries made me think it was a fair game that know one knows who would win.

Up until Laudine entered,now before I get ass rammed by hate comments let me explain,now for her entry,I liked it,it was good,yes over achieved for such a contest made me think why enter if you have such talent? And I didn't feel summer from it,it feel more like a mystical ocean with all those colors,it felt magical,not summer but magical.And I couldn't see that well of the characters in it.I mean I know who they were,but it seemed like there was more focus for the back ground.

Which made me think,everyone is gonna vote for this entry. So yeah I kinda got a bit down,and I'm sure everyone else who entered and worked hard,be honest,felt the same way. Cause it felt fair and like everyone had a chance,just the suspense of who was gonna get the votes,that is the thrill that some people go for in these contests.

And another thing is,I didn't expect to be tied at one point,let alone be so close,I thought Ari was gonna be neck and neck with Laudine. I felt a pick up in enthusiasm with the more detailed votes from people,not just for me but for those who got the vote.And yes turned out in the end Laudine won,and I'll say this,good job. Sorry if people got the wrong message from my comments for this,and I'm not gonna be sore about losing the prize cause I was gonna win it for a friend.

As for what to do for future contest;
Make the dead line firm
Get more attention around it so we can have more people in it and have more of the suspense on who might win
Maybe more prizes like from other artists or maybe some snafu goods like a t shirt or sticker
And the feeling of a fun fair contest.

I may consider entering next time.

Postby noxux » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:23 pm

Well I can say you should be proud to get in second place, that means that people here like your art more than others ( no I'm not saying is better than others just that they like it more) and your style and for the other contestants all of your art were good , some were better than others, but at the end all of those were great ,so all of you should be proud for having drawing skills that people wish to have.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby ari-6 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:59 pm

Octoberscarf I think you were an excellent example. You may not have won but for a few days it looked as though it could have gone either way. So to all those people who say they felt put down by Laudine's skill, you were an excellent example because you show that with enough effort it can be anyone's game. And I personally was very thankful to Dr. Horri- Q.U. for taking the time to analyse everyone's entries and even highlight a major point for improvement in my own work. It is impossible to know how hard to try to achieve something you have never tried before and until Laudine showed up I did not realise I had not tried hard enough. But know I know how high to aim.

And now I am going to sound a little sour. I really hope that we can do this again and that more people enter. And I hope that for next time Bleedman could announce the contest. But maybe in the description it could say something about the entries being original. I just feel that the competition really would become inaccessible if it turned into a "Who can draw most like Bleedman contest". I really do feel awful for having said that but it was what I thought.
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:04 am

I don't know what happened on the Bleedman thing, it was suppose to happen but didn't go through for some reason. It will next time though.

A lot of his fans do use the style, what I was thinking to stop that is to put a "No Bleed Fan Art" blocker on the contest. It would force people to go with originality, but a lot of people went with Bleedman fanart in this because I think the reason was that the prize was a commission from him.

I think it would be fun to eventually do a comic page for one of the discontinued Snafu Comics and see what people come up with.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:13 am

I'm sure people who've worked very hard for years to get to the level laudine has deserve recognition as well as people who tried hard in effort. That people with that level of skill deserve less attention purely because there are many others with a lower level of skill is a bit selfish, besides as was said before it's not just about the art level, i mean you were tied for the first spot. But whatever yeah.
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Twitter

"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:15 am

That is an excellent idea! I was thinking of something like a four-panel comic strip contest that would reward thought over skill. As for the no Bleed fanart blocker, instead what about something that allows the use of his characters (His work is the prize after all) but not his art style.

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:18 am

Don't twist my words

Postby ari-6 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:24 am

"Twist your words?" I had no such intention. In what way do you feel I have twisted something you have said? I only saught to praise you for showing the other contestants that not being of university level ability does not mean they have zero chance for success.

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:27 am

Sorry I meant Mir@k it seemed like he was twisting what I said.
"That people with that level of skill deserve less attention purely because there are many others with a lower level of skill is a bit selfish, besides as was said before it's not just about the art level, i mean you were tied for the first spot. But whatever yeah."

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:29 am

ari-6 wrote:That is an excellent idea! I was thinking of something like a four-panel comic strip contest that would reward thought over skill. As for the no Bleed fanart blocker, instead what about something that allows the use of his characters (His work is the prize after all) but not his art style.

Could work. The issue though, that I see might not be with others, is that Bleed's style is a variation of the anime/manga style that has a lot of versions. I'm not sure how to tell the difference between someone trying to copy bleed's style and someone who is working out their own way to draw in that style.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby noxux » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:32 am

Well, Lingo has a different style.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:34 am

Lingo's entry was simple,but had a strong meaning to it.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:38 am

Lingo's style, imho, doesn't reflect an anime/manga style.

And I'm being general here guys, if that style has more interpretations and variations than I care to guess.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:40 am

I am sure that the last thing Mir@k wanted to do was insult you. I think she is simply trying to put into words is that in a competition it is impossible for every one to receive the recognition for their efforts that they deserve. Everyone who entered this competition tried to the best of their ability, Except me that is. If truth be told I looked at the entries before mine and thought I had a pretty decent chance of winning and so I did not push myself that extra length and so I feel I really did not deserve to win. However I also feel this is a case where could say "You learn more from defeat than victory" and now I feel compelled push myself further and to double my effort for next time.

WOW I type slow!

Postby Cerulean » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:09 am

Congratulations to everyone who participated c:
Also ari just a heads up but Mir@k is a guy

Instead of having to rely on Bleedman spreading the word, why not ask each contestant to advertise the contest? From a quick glance, most of the people who competed had a deviantart page as well. This way, if Bleedman should forget to advertise the contest, then other people will still be in the know about it.

At the moment, I don't really have any ideas on how to improve the next contest. However, I do want to mention that disqualifying one type of art style (let's say Bleedman style) would make it challenging for the users of said style, however it wouldn't present a challenge to the users who don't use his style at all.

I do like the idea of a comic strip contest for the discontinued comics. Maybe it could be a team challenge or something? This way, you can have an art and literature contest at the same time. Maximum of 2 people per team. It would also allow more people within the forums to interact with other people. If the person wants to work alone, then they are allowed to work alone.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:17 am

Mir@k is male? No I do not believe so. Your idea of a literature contest and an art contest sounds like a brilliant idea. I would love to team up with someone! Mainly because my writing ability is less than nonexistent. But how could people choose partners in an organised way?

Postby Cerulean » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:23 am

Yes he is. Hmm, good question. Maybe, instead of having two threads for each contest, a team contest would have three threads.

Thread 1: Announcement of Contest, Rules, Tickets (for entry)
Thread 2: Contest Team Discussion (Here people would place a "Wanted:Literature/Art Partner" post. This thread would solely be for the discussion of whether or not you need a team mate. The first post in said thread would be updated with confirmed team members)
Thread 3: Voting

Or something like that.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:33 am

I do like the idea of posting a wanted add. Hopefully I could get a good response.

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Updates and News!