Anime/Manga-Spoilers All Over

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Anime/Manga-Spoilers All Over

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Fucking love The Host, the Twilight outburst slowed down it's production no doubt.
I also heard that The Host was given a shitty movie, so bad that it's been covered up and locked away at some run down Blockbuster.

On topic though, I read The Host a couple years ago, and I so happen to be rereading it atm. Love the scene where Wanda loses it and goes off on the lot of them.

Edit: Damn it, Blue took the last spot last page, right as I clicked Submit. >:(
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:26 pm

MissTikilicious wrote:That sparkly franchise doesn't even belong in the vampire category! They actually have more traits from a mutated species of Fairy, than with vampires. However The Host by the same author was actually pretty good.
Oh good. Felt I had to tread carefully. Then in that case maybe you guys will enjoy my joke. Instead of vampires she should have called them vajazzles, because there was already a name for sparkly pussies.

As for the Host, there was mega hype in my country about a month before it came out and while it was actually out there was not even an advert for it. I found that very strange. I have not read the book but my friend read it and she told me it was 90% Make outs + 10% Action. Is there any truth to that? Also has anyone seen Pacific Rim?
2014. A shitty fucking year!
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:35 pm

lmao, 90% make outs. No offense to your friend, but you made it sound like they didn't like The Host, and if they put Twilight over The Host, you should stop taking their reading suggestions seriously. Read the book for yourself, loved that thing than the entire Twilight bullcrap.

Edit: I was referring to the Twilight movies, I think the books were far better, and I'm fine with the actors/actresses. Just putting it on screen with visuals was a bad idea in general, imo.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Somehow this discussion of Twilight and The Host has something to do with anime/manga.

I don't care to have it explained to me, but I am looking forward to locking this thread as it seems as if the topic itself has been fulfilled and people are moving on to other subjects.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MissTikilicious » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:32 pm

@Cerulean
I adored the Host(the novel anyway)! The movie could've been better, but I do give them props for how they did the Souls. They got it exactly how I pictured it in my head!
Have you read the manga version of Chibi Vampire? Though I liked the Vampire Hunter angle the anime went for, the manga goes really in depth on why Karin is the way she is. It's actually a really interesting arc and Henry gets to show off his BAMF! side.
For all the cute, funny fluffiness all over the place, I did not expect Absolute Boyfriend to end the way it did. It was so sweet and sad! :'(

Blood Lord wrote:Somehow this discussion of Twilight and The Host has something to do with anime/manga.

I don't care to have it explained to me, but I am looking forward to locking this thread as it seems as if the topic itself has been fulfilled and people are moving on to other subjects.

Tenshi Nova already said it and I have proof!
Tenshi Nova wrote:Also, this isn't limited to anime and manga, feel free to talk about any book, movie, show, etc. Anime and manga were just specified because the discussion is mainly for the purpose of attracting Bleed fans that are somewhat informed towards a certain culture. Feel free even if you don't think you are.

So we can discuss Twilight, The Host, the Avengers, Alien Vs. Predator or etc. all we want!

Edit:I'm actually kinda surprised at myself right now cause I'm actually doing semi-good grammar at 12-something in the morning and I'm pretty sure I'm having a sugar high on caffeinated energy drinks and Hot Fries...
Last edited by Blood Lord on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't double post.
Demonic Ninjas Swag

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:24 am

So a few things of error to discuss here.

First off, you seek to correct me by double posting, which is against the rules. No worry, I shall make that change in a moment.

Second, I want you to look very closely at the stuff above my avatar, and then look above Tenshi's. Do you notice a difference? Correct, I am a moderator. My word will trump his even in a thread that he makes.

Flat out I'm changing this, he's getting notified about it as well. Despite his intentions, we already have enough tv show, book, movie, etc threads on this site, not to mention that such things can be discussed in the Talk thread as well.

Anime and Manga discussion from here on out or the thread is locked. You have other forms of media entertainment you want to discuss, there are already other threads in the rest of the site for such a thing to encourage people not to spend so much time in one section. There is also the Bleed Talk Thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44973
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54514
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44996
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22404
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54923

EDIT: You got a problem with this, my PM box is always open.
EDIT 2: I was looking in the Lit Section, because I could have sworn we had a Book Discussion Thread. I don't know what happened to it, but I would be willing to tear down Spike's spoiler warning and allow such a thread to be made if you guys want to do that.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:52 am

Not sure what you mean by Spike's spoiler warning, but it sounds like it would accomplish what I intended. Mainly, a thread where there's no need for the spoiler tags. With a minor point of having a main topic, while having more leniency towards other topics, course that just sounds like any of the talk threads you've mentioned. But you do know the site better than I do, and ofc title easily trumps my 4 month young ass. W/e decision you end up making would be best in the end.

Thought: Would moving this to a different section help, or is it just the existence of the thread itself that's the problem?
Edit: Or is it the divergence of topics and high leniency?
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Just wondering if anyone has read this.

It combines two of my favourite things. Sherlock and manga. Also has anyone read Fairytale? If so could you recommend it to me? Just do not use the word awesome!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Never read Fairytale.
But... HOLY SHIT A Sherlock comic book!?
I love the BBC show and if the writing in the comic is as good as the show's then I'm on board for this one. They even got the characters to look just like the actors who play them in the show, that's some good art, there's no mistaking that's them.
Bark

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm assuming FairyTail. It's very boring and basic, but has a lot of badass moments and fan service. I like it, it's a nice read and has their moments from time to time. Mad-Mutt I assume from your response you don't keep up to date with it. If you do, I apologize for my assumptions, but I would ask why do you think so poorly of it?
I would suggest it as a fun to read, don't expect to be dragged in by any long term plot or good overall story. Read for the mini moments they have, that you just can't help but feel like thinking, awesome. c:
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:27 pm

I think there's a misunderstanding here, I wasn't saying anything bad about Fairy Tail Nova. I was only stating that I've never read it. I guess that might be my fault due to the wording, but by "Never read Fairy Tail" I meant that I personally never read it myself. I wasn't telling Ari to never read the manga.
I've heard of it in some places, but I've never actually sat down and looked at it. So, I don't have an opinion of Fairy Tail yet because I have zero experience with it, if I get around to reading it I might share what I think of it
I was mainly gushing over the Sherlock comic because I like the show so much.
Last edited by Mad-Mutt on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bark

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:43 pm

I enjoy your reading skills Mutt, I'd just like to point out 2 things.
Fairy TAIL
And I'm not Havoc, lol

It's k, we accept your faults if you accept ours c:

Edit: I saw Havoc, I saw it! I KNOW WHAT I SAW lol
Last edited by Hallow Nova on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Sorry, I just noticed that, I don't why I made that dumb mistake and I've corrected it already.
My bad.

Edit: I know you did, I fixed it like I just said. I still don't know how I made that mistake, weird things like that happen to my mind like that sometimes.
Last edited by Mad-Mutt on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bark

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:46 pm

I'd hug you, but that toothless thing seems to be underfed(your avatar).
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Who, Jeri?
Don't worry, she's nicer than she looks.
... As long as the D-Reaper isn't around.
Bark

Postby ari-6 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:00 am

And providing, of course, you did not just kill Leomon (Poor Leomon. Anything Leomon always dies.) Long time no see Mad-Mutt. Sorry this art trade is taking sooo long but the drawing part is done and I am pretty happy with it. Also, You like Digimon Tamers right? You like Serial Experiments Lain right?? You like Evangelion right??? Then I have just the anime for you!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:04 am

You can take as much time as you need Ari, there's no rush.

And okay, what anime are you talking about?
Bark

Postby ari-6 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:50 am

It is possible you have already seen it. It is called Puella Magi Madoka Magica. If you have not seen it I advise you watch it based on the fact that you liked Lain, Evangelion and D3. It is way up there with them in my opinion. But if you do then you must not read about it. The manga is not of a high standard and anything you read will only be spoilers for all the twists and WHAMS! I would advise watching it subbed if that is not a problem as the dub is nothing special.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:22 am

I did a little google image search just to see what the show “looked” like and... well I don’t have any idea what to say about it. (This didn't spoil any plot points for me)
On the one hand most of what I saw was some mahou shoujo stuff that I usually stay away from due to the usual "themes" that I just don't get into (or more like I just find them creepy and not in the horror movie kind of creepy). But on the other hand I saw some pretty weird imagery which I like.
Then after a little look into the people behind it I found out that it was written by Gen Urobuchi...
The guy who wrote Saya no Uta...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDHJ05T ... page&t=218

Okay... so... PMMM, you had my curiosity, now you have my attention.
I don't know anything about the plot, but I might give this one a shot despite my usual avoidance of the magical girl shows. If I get around to watching it I'll share my thoughts on it. I've never been one to judge a book by its cover so, who knows.
Last edited by Mad-Mutt on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bark

Postby ari-6 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:29 am

DO NOT LET THE CHARACTER DESIGNS PUT YOU OFF!!! Sorry about that but the characters look super cutesy so people do not see it coming. Some of Urobutchers best work! And if you like Yuki Kajura!! This is unlike any other mahou shoujo show. If you watch, please watch up until episode 3! After that is when the stuff happens.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:41 am

Cute character designs don't bother me that much I watch stuff like MLP: FIM and PPG so cutesy stuff I don't have that much of problem with and if this is going in the direction I THINK it is then the cute stuff might make a juxtaposition to whatever the hell kind of freakish stuff Mr. Urobuchi and the artists decide to throw at the viewer.
Bark

Postby ari-6 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:48 am

That was the idea. The company used the best puni plushy artist they had in their address book and even she did not know what was going to happen.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:31 am

Mad-Mutt wrote:Never read Fairytale.
But... HOLY SHIT A Sherlock comic book!?
I love the BBC show and if the writing in the comic is as good as the show's then I'm on board for this one. They even got the characters to look just like the actors who play them in the show, that's some good art, there's no mistaking that's them.

I think the show is in fact quite popular in Japan. In fact (and this is just me spinning here) It may be the reason for certain design choice in even the Japanese conventional books. About a year or so ago, the Aiotori Bunko "Bluebird" books series (to save some time and confusion think of then like the Japanese equivalent of something like Scolastic Books, or Puffin Classics; a long series of "classic" books published in a similar format) decided it was time to revamp the Sherlock Holmes books in the series (they do things like that from time to time, most of the classic books in the series have gone through two or three iterations since the series started being published in the 70's or so). At the time, I was mostly annoyed (I was putting together a complete set of the books for sale to someone, and since the start of a new version coincides with the withdrawal of the old one, and the client was insisting that the set he got matched. I had to scramble to finish it) and frustrated I had to do much more complicated number counting to figure out which volume I was looking at (in that series of books each book has a number along the lines of xx-xx. The first xx tells you the author (A. Conan Doyle is 190) the second, which number that book is in order of which books by that author have been published in that series so, for example, 190-5 is the fifth volume of Sherlock Holmes stories published by them for that set. However since it's all books ever published in that series, when they do a re-do they don't re-set the number, so working out which volume you need to be looking for usually means working out how far they got. so 190-10 is Sherlock Holmes volume 10 but 190-12 is volume 1 again, in the new version (the gap is because the old series also had The Lost World , that's 11). But I also noticed (getting off of my tangent) that when they re-did the books, the illustrator, rather than going for something similar to the version of Holmes in the old series illustrations (very much in the classic Strand/Basil Rathbone/Jeremy Brett Sherlock model) went for a much younger spiky haired version of both Holmes and Watson, which looks eerily like the Sherlock actors.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby ari-6 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:58 am

I am sorry but that seemed like an awfully long way of saying "They changed the covers to cash in on the TV series" but that thing about how the numbers represent the author and volume was interesting.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Sorry about the length thing. Blame it on my upbringing; I'm the son of two lawyers and terseness is not one of my strong suits :redface:

And it's not just the covers, they actually change the illustrations as well and possibly the text (I can't actually read Japanese, so I can't be sure about that last part)
It so happens that today was my day in the city, and hence my day to visit the Japanese book store so I took the liberty of doing a comparison pic. 190-6(old) is on the left and 190-23 (new) on the right (they are both The Sign of Four)
And it may not just be cashing in, I think some of the publishing companies are having to deal with a new batch of illustrators who take their cues from old television and movie versions of the stories they are illustrating more than they do previous versions of the books. One of the other book series is currently re-doing a lot of their kids stuff using an illustrator I think was modern manga trained and as a result a LOT of the stuff looks TV-y. The Heidi seems to take a lot of cues from the Anime version, The Anne of Green Gables from the anime of that, and today I picked up a Doctor Doolittle that seems to have more in common with the Rex Harrsion movie than with whoever did the original pictures for Lofting (I don't recall there being a female lead in the original book).
That number code has actually proved useful in some cases for working out what the hell a book was. There are some authors where some of the big titles in Japan are things I had never heard of here. For example, I know Jules Verne from 20,000 Leauges Under the Sea but Deux ans de Vacances which is a top seller in Japan, was something I had never heard of. Or Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Secret Garden and A Little Princess I know well, Little Lord Fauntleroy I had only heard about secondhand (as one of those things our parents read" class books.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)