Television and Movies

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Television and Movies

Postby Rival » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:53 am

Pretty much agree entirely with EagleMan's mentions, except I wasn't too fond of the Mist.

To add the to EagleMan's mentions. 2001 A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner and No Country for Old Men. Although in the first example the book and movie were written concurrently. Come to think of it 2010: The Year We Make Contact is better than the book, too. Though neither compares to 2001.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby OrangeBee » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:56 am

I'm pretty sure we all heard that a new TMNT movie is coming out and Michael Bay Is producing it. How are all your feels on this one?
Can't have too much fun or shit goes down

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
Time to unclench my friends

Postby Mathias » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:31 am

The original idea was terrible.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:03 am

OrangeBee wrote:I'm pretty sure we all heard that a new TMNT movie is coming out and Michael Bay Is producing it. How are all your feels on this one?

Never been a fan of TMNT, even as a really young kid I didn't like the 80's cartoon. The original Mirage comics are supposedly better, I never read them, but I did watch a few episodes of the 2003 series which is described as more faithful to the comics and while better than the 80's series, it wasn't something I'd call good either.

Not a fan of Bay, so I prefer seeing him involved in a franchise I don't care too much for.

On a different note, Machete Kills trailer:

I've watched Grindhouse and I know this is cheesy and over-the-top on purpose, but geez. At some point you can get too over-the-top about being purposely over-the-top.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby EagleMan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Yeah it seems like the difference between Crank 1 and 2. I still liked both of them in the end, but Crank 2 just went too far. It's almost rote now to try to parody that stuff because that parody is the norm now. It's nothing but spoofs spoofing each other.

I thought Bay's Pain and Gain was pretty entertaining. I'm not sure if I'd watch it again, but it was worth it inside the theater.

Postby noxux » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:00 pm

I think everyone knows about the new movie of Wolverine, what do you think about?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."AC
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
Mysterious fate

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:08 am

what do you think about?

"What am I going to do today?" This is what plagues my mind ever since I got out of college like almost two weeks ago. For a while it was fine, everything was fine and dandy. But then I started to get bored. You go from writing 5 essays a week and a couple of tests down to doing nothing but stalking this site, you get tired really fast. So I tried other things for a while, beat AC 2, did some drawing and reading, but nothing seemed to really fix that issue. Not even going back to work to prepare for Grain Harvest filled my accustomed busy lifestyle that had been so rigidly followed for the past six months. I can't even focus on something for very long before I have to go do something else. I read a few chapters in a book, get bored. I play AC 2 for a few missions, get bored. I go workout for an few hours, get bored five minutes in. I don't really know what to do about the situation, but I guess I'll just have to play these cards until the next hand is dealt.

Now, I knew what you were getting at, I just had to do that for fun.

noxux wrote:I think everyone knows about the new movie of Wolverine, what do you think about (it)?

Now then, I believe you were asking about people's opinions about the movie. I haven't seen it yet, but my cousin talked my ear off for about an hour explaining how coll it is that this movie finally came out. Apparently the writers or directors or someone wanted to do this type of a movie but instead the studio, (Fox or is it Sony?) wanted them to do a Wolverine Origins movie, which imho, they could have done better. So it was apparently really cool to movie onto this movie.

What I am happy about with this movie is that instead of expanding the movie line of X-men like they did with the last two X-men movies, this one actually pushes forward and I heard it connects to "X-men Days of Future Past".

I'm excited to see it, I have high hopes, but also a remembrance of the Origins movie in my head. So my plan is to just go there to be entertained and leave all of my expectations and hopes in the parking lot.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby EagleMan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:20 am

It's pretty good but the third act devolves into more generic territory. Stay for a credits scene.

Postby Biostar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:51 am

I felt that the dialogue got a bit too hammy sometimes, particularly from the two female leads, and the acting for Viper was a bit much to me but I liked it. I'm excited for the next movie because it's the appearance of    the Sentinels.   

Postby EagleMan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:49 pm

So I saw Elysium and Percy Jackson. Saw Jackson because my little brother was with me and wanted to see it so we just skipped on over to the next showing. It uh, wasn't really good, and he said it butchered the books even more.

Either way Elysium was pretty good. There are a few issues with it, chiefly concerning with how they used flashbacks, and the ending felt a little muted, but overall I liked it a lot. Irrelevant side note, I can't believe Chrome is trying to correct me to use "alot" instead of "a lot".

Anyways, I feel the film would be a lot stronger if they just cut out the flashbacks entirely. It'd still make sense without them and the pathos of the scenes wouldn't have felt trivialized by what went on in the flashbacks which made things feel cliche and rote. Oddly enough we never really learn much about Elysium itself despite it being the namesake of the film.

The worldbuilding was fantastic, and I really liked the main antagonist. Elysium is from the same guy that made District 9.

Postby Exodis » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:36 pm

EagleMan wrote:Saw Jackson because my little brother was with me and wanted to see it so we just skipped on over to the next showing. It uh, wasn't really good, and he said it butchered the books even more.

Hmm should have guessed. I'll just have to watch and see how badly they butchered it. Read the book multiple times so I'll probably catch all the flaws between the book and movie.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.

Live the Lovable Life, Die the Dreadful Death.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Last Savior

Postby EagleMan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:43 pm

He said there was stuff jumbled, and things from like the 5th and 3rd book were there, with some of the 3rd happening after the 5th, so I think it goes beyond mere "flaws" and might be basically a complete rewrite.

Postby Exodis » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:02 am

Seriously?? Ah crap... this is gonna be a clusterfuck of a film adaptation.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.

The Last Savior

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Saw the first one and went "Meh". I don't really care to see the second one.
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby Cerulean » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:39 pm

EagleMan wrote:He said there was stuff jumbled, and things from like the 5th and 3rd book were there, with some of the 3rd happening after the 5th, so I think it goes beyond mere "flaws" and might be basically a complete rewrite.

Unfortunately I've been hearing the same thing from other people :c It will be an "interesting" watch at least (whenever I get around to it). I'm curious as to how the remainder of the movies in this series will be done, now that they've gone out of order.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Anybody seen Tom Cruise's Oblivion?
Mercypostle

Postby Exodis » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:52 pm

Fuckin' love that movie.

The Last Savior

Postby EagleMan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:04 am

Cerulean wrote:
EagleMan wrote:He said there was stuff jumbled, and things from like the 5th and 3rd book were there, with some of the 3rd happening after the 5th, so I think it goes beyond mere "flaws" and might be basically a complete rewrite.

Unfortunately I've been hearing the same thing from other people :c It will be an "interesting" watch at least (whenever I get around to it). I'm curious as to how the remainder of the movies in this series will be done, now that they've gone out of order.

As far as I know, it was a surprise it even got a sequel in the first place, so that's probably why they threw everything at the wall because it may be the last.

And I've seen Oblivion. It follows a lot of sci-fi tropes, and the trailers spoiled some stuff, but it had really slick production value to it.

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Excellent. I know what movie I'm going to watch today.
Mercypostle

Postby Sigment » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:24 pm

On the right is what I was hoping for. On the left is what I got.
Nah, I'm kidding. Wanna see the movie, but this still would've been awesome.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:53 pm

I liked Oblivion. It was... different for me. There were more parts I wished they focused on and explained earlier on, but I liked it.
Mercypostle

Postby Exodis » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Has anyone seen Breaking Bad? It's a great show...

The Last Savior

Postby Rival » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Nah none of us heard about the most critically acclaimed crime drama, since the Wire.

Heisenberg, two-face Gustavo, Hector's ding-ding-ding, what the fuck am I talking about?

Postby Exodis » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:22 pm

I said SEEN, not HEARD.
Anyway, so how about that 1st episode of the second half of Season 5!

The Last Savior

Postby Rival » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Haven't watched season 5 yet. Waiting for it to complete to dowload and watch it in its entirety.

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion