Snafu Art Voting Thread

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Snafu Art Voting Thread

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:24 am

Good point Q.U, wasn't really looking at that :grin: . I just looked at all the fancy clouds, but now that I look at the characters and it's relevance with the theme... I'm unimpressed when I compare it to someone like TheOctoberScarf. Looks as if there's still a competition here after all. Thanks Q.U.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Laudine » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:02 am

Thank you for everyone who enjoyed my entry! I'm truly happy and humbled to hear that mine can catch your eyes :D As for voting going, I like Brother Orin’s entry. I like how he did the pose and coloring. Too bad you can’t give vote to someone else though, I’d love to vote for Mad-Mutt’s as well because I love the concept!

TheOctoberScarf wrote: Not everyone has the programs or tools to go over board.

Sorry I don’t mean to single you out, but that is actually a common thinking mistake. Just fyi I use outdated stuffs compared to what folks nowadays have. For my entry I used Photoshop CS2, and an ancient 5 years old tablet.
Tools you use don’t matter. You (general you) are the one in control and responsible of how your piece turns out. Most artists will agree that if you can paint a piece of art on a ketchup stained towel, then you’re a good artist. (I can’t, I still have a long long way to go)

Brother Orin wrote:It's a fun contest where you can win a commission from someone, not $50,000, calm down and be a little more humble to all of the competitors.

Exactly this! I actually told Bleed that I’ll draw something for him years ago. Sadly I lack time and inspiration to do something for him. Then I saw the competition thread and thought that the theme sounds interesting! I had fun doing my entry and learned a lot (clouds are still evil to paint though). I mostly challenged myself with my entry, doing a painting of things that I'm not familiar with. No matter who wins in the end, if people and good ol’ Bleedy like mine then I’m happy :3 I hope everyone had a lot of fun too with their entries!

Q.U. wrote: I can't feel the "activity", which is a shame. The characters are well done, but don't seem to be anyone in particular, they don't show much in terms of expression, emotions or actions. Which again makes them feel out of place. As a portrait or painting it's a great piece. But it doesn't really scream summer activities to me.

WalrusM3 wrote:I just looked at all the fancy clouds, but now that I look at the characters and it's relevance with the theme... I'm unimpressed

To be honest the focus of my entry wasn’t the characters. I focused more on to convey the ‘activities’ of mother nature, as opposed to the ones done by sentient beings. It’s more of a painting of an ocean during summer sunset look like. Wave crashes, water subtly rippling, summer colours interact with each other, sun setting, and clouds rolling. The figures are merely witnesses, enveloping and enjoying themselves within the natural happenings. Let's say they're tools to help capturing the overall atmosphere.
Though if you interpret something else, then great! All paintings are endless shades of grey after all; they’re all subjective, and that’s what make art fun :D

Sorry if anything I say don’t make sense, English is not my mother language and I was never good with words anyway (hence why I mostly paint!). I’ll shut up now xD
Last edited by Laudine on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:18 am

Maybe having the characters in a relaxing position as they look towards the sunset, would've been better.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:46 am

Q.U. wrote: I can't feel the "activity", which is a shame. The characters are well done, but don't seem to be anyone in particular, they don't show much in terms of expression, emotions or actions. Which again makes them feel out of place. As a portrait or painting it's a great piece. But it doesn't really scream summer activities to me.

WalrusM3 wrote:I just looked at all the fancy clouds, but now that I look at the characters and it's relevance with the theme... I'm unimpressed

To be honest the focus of my entry wasn’t the characters. I focused more on to convey the ‘activities’ of mother nature, as opposed to the ones done by sentient beings. It’s more of a painting of an ocean during summer sunset look like. Wave crashes, water subtly rippling, summer colours interact with each other, sun setting, and clouds rolling. The figures are merely witnesses, enveloping and enjoying themselves within the natural happenings. Let's say they're tools to help capturing the overall atmosphere.
Though if you interpret something else, then great! All paintings are endless shades of grey after all; they’re all subjective, and that’s what make art fun :D
[/quote]

Someone didn't read the theme clearly, 'Summer activity'. Mean no disrespect Laudine, as I've said I'm not trying to isolate you. You have done a great job and impressed at what level you're at. But I am highlighting that it's more of something to do with the weather then people actually doing a summer activity. Hence more focus on the characters would've been more ideal.

An obsessed freak

Postby Laudine » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:46 am

Tenshi Nova wrote:Maybe having the characters in a relaxing position as they look towards the sunset, would've been better.

That's a nice suggestion, thank you! I'll definitely try that the next time I'm doing something similar to this :D

WalrusM3 wrote:Someone didn't read the theme clearly, 'Summer activity'. Mean no disrespect Laudine, as I've said I'm not trying to isolate you. You have done a great job and impressed at what level you're at. But I am highlighting that it's more of something to do with the weather then people actually doing a summer activity. Hence more focus on the characters would've been more ideal.

Not a problem! Actually, on the announcement thread, someone asked about the theme, and Q.U. clarified that "It can be whatever, so long as it has some connection to the theme. Which in this case is summer activities. So you can draw something showing activities popular in summer, or even something just related to summer as a season."
I went with "something just related to summer as a season" more...

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:16 am

Fair enough of what that's what Q.U clarified. But I'm mostly replying because I just noticed your avatar! It's one of Rarity my favourite pony and she's is as awesome as cheese there!

An obsessed freak

Postby Laudine » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:22 am

WalrusM3 wrote:Fair enough of what that's what Q.U clarified. But I'm mostly replying because I just noticed your avatar! It's one of Rarity my favourite pony and she's is as awesome as cheese there!

Oh wow! Anyone who liked Rarity is awesome in my book. Here is a brohoof for you! /)

Umm sorry mods, I'll stop being offtopic now xD;

Postby Breach » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:18 pm

While I liked all of them(even the stick figure is better than I can do),I'd have to pick Laudine.

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:57 pm

Votes compiled and updated, along with a few issues to address as well.

Humility, ladies an gentlemen in the face of victory and defeat is the key. Stop letting things get to you and live with it.

Brother Orin wrote:If there was a grand prize and a top three prize, would there be a little less butt hurt going on?.

We'll consider it for the next one. You have to remember that this was the first attempt to do something like this. Do you have suggestions to what could be done as a top three prizes?

Laudine wrote:Oh wow! Anyone who liked Rarity is awesome in my book. Here is a brohoof for you! /)

Silly Pony, that's not how you spell Rainbow Dash.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:32 am

[quote="Blood Lord"]Votes compiled and updated, along with a few issues to address as well.
Do you have suggestions to what could be done as a top three prizes?

1st place fully coloredand shaded
2nd color
3rd line art
4th sketch
how are those for prizes?

Postby Sigment » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:04 am

That sounds good. Keeps it from being an all-or-nothing deal for the contestants. I wonder if there will ever be a writing variant of this kind of contest.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:12 am

TheOctoberScarf wrote:1st place fully coloredand shaded
2nd color
3rd line art
4th sketch
how are those for prizes?

From who? Bleedman? He said he would be willing to do about two free commissions. (Paraphrasing this from his editor and writer, BeeAre who is our connection with the man). Think about it. This contest occurs twice a year, you'd be asking him to do eight free commissions of various degrees and complexity per year added onto his load of actual paying commissions, comics, and life in general. How about no?

Sigment Kurosai wrote:I wonder if there will ever be a writing variant of this kind of contest.

Hanna (I don't know if you know her). Brought it up already in the Gold Section. Its starting to become a more feasible idea now then when it was first brought up.
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:16 am

It was just a suggestion,or maybe SNAFU merchandise? And not all 8 people,just first 3 or 4 highest people?

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:20 am

Math time.
Contest occurs twice a year. There are three to four of these people per contest.
2x3=6
2x4=8

Do you see what I'm getting at yet?

It will be placed under discussion for the next contests, but more participants would improve the chances.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Sigment » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:21 am

Should've realized it, but that puts too much of a workload on the guy, all pro bono. It's just not reasonable, now that I think about it.

The Resident Smartass

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:25 am

ok then,then maybe other prizes could work?

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:28 am

Sigment Kurosai wrote:Should've realized it, but that puts too much of a workload on the guy, all pro bono. It's just not reasonable, now that I think about it.

As I said, since this is the first one and a learning experience, the next ones will get better and have more prizes. What will those be? I have no idea. I'm focused on this contest, not the next one right now.

For right now, hold off on this topic and lets get back to voting. Then we can discuss this afterwards.
Semper Vigilans

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:32 am

about voting,can contestants vote for others besides themselves like if I want I can vote for someone else?

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:36 am

Laudine did.

In the opening post of the thread, Blood Lord wrote:anyone and everyone who is a member of this site is allowed to vote.

As long as you meet these requirements, you can vote.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Sigment » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:35 am

Are they allowed to vote for themselves, or would that be considered cheating?

The Resident Smartass

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:06 am

Blood Lord wrote:
Humility, ladies an gentlemen in the face of victory and defeat is the key. Stop letting things get to you and live with it.

What's humility me and my ego does not understand this concept, you will have to elaborate.

Blood Lord wrote:
Laudine wrote:Oh wow! Anyone who liked Rarity is awesome in my book. Here is a brohoof for you! /)

Silly Pony, that's not how you spell Rainbow Dash.

No, double silly, we're talking about the pony that's 20x cooler than Rainbow Dash (Aren't I mature).

An obsessed freak

Postby Brother Orin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:48 pm

WalrusM3 wrote:
Blood Lord wrote:

What's humility me and my ego does not understand this concept, you will have to elaborate.

Dictionary wrote:hu·mil·i·ty
n.
The quality or state of being humble; modest opinion of one's own importance or rank; meekness.

In other words, keep the butt hurt to yourself and be a humble looser so people doesn't see you as a cry baby.
At your service.

Postby Sigment » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:04 pm

You do realize that he was joking about that, right?

Anyways, I'm just glad that this contest is moving forward. When do we gather the votes, again?

The Resident Smartass

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Sigment Kurosai wrote:You do realize that he was joking about that

Wait I was? Man I'm so light headed at the moment. :grin:

An obsessed freak

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Its hard to tell when people are joking online....

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Updates and News!