That time...

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: That time...

Postby noxux » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:39 pm

Maybe he charge it to it's credit card and it pays itself.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."AC
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
Mysterious fate

Postby Tuor » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:52 pm

If I remember right he's paid for it through to 2017 or something like that
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby noxux » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:56 pm

So Snafu will exist till 2017 unless someone else pay,right?
Mysterious fate

Postby Tenshi Nova » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:01 am

If a time comes and no one does, we could always try and get the community to chip in bits.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks

Postby Exodis » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:56 am

Man, it surprises me how a community grows, stays constant, and withers away as I read these vets' posts. Makes me wonder how this site will live on before it's "deadline" of 2017.
As Nox and Blordy said:
We make our own Golden Age.

Oh, and Tenshi, it has been discussed a while back on the fate of Snafu, with it's due date on 2017. As I said before, I would gladly pitch in if others do. I'd just hate to see this place go.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Live the Lovable Life, Die the Dreadful Death.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Last Savior

Postby Rival » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:58 am

noxux wrote:I'm being curious, what happened to him?

Flirting Estrada/Punky/Jesus or off-topic creator pony lover Mod (Ganon)?

Estrada/Punky/Jesus thought companies might search for what he wrote on the Internet before employing him and thought what he wrote here might put his career as engineer in danger, or at least make it harder for him to start it. So he changed his profile name and stopped posting here.

Ganon, it's a complicated story, he got somewhat overzealous was banned for a time if I recall correctly, and eventually just posted as a normal member. I think he still pops-up in the pony thread every few months or so, or at least that was the case a year ago.
Q.U. wrote:My cynicism, I believe, lies in my finding amusement in the whole Grids v. Seir conflict. And the chaos it unleashed. To me it was a good experience, because I got to watch a clusterfuck. And I like that sort of things.

Ah that actually makes sense, I can see how a shitstorm like that might be fun to watch as a spectator. I should've figured it was the reason.
As you said yourself whether people mind or not, does not matter. Many of the Bleedmanites are visting boards like 4chan so they're used to such jokes, but Dave's goal for this site is for minors to be able to visit the site and avoid bad publicity and real life children in suggestive poses in their underwear, is not helping.

In fact, had it been Kris as first Mod to view this pic, you'd have been banned already.

Q.U. wrote:The story of the day when I almost got banned. Which makes me wonder, what would I be today if that did happen...

Ah yeah I recall that situation, I still think given your post count back then and given the nature of the photo, 1 or 2 mods would've banned you had they seen it first. It's funny to read now especially the "I don't make the rules here" part, since now you do get to have an influence on the rules.
Blood Lord wrote:That went out the window a while ago.

Only around 2010. Back in 2008 what I wrote was still true.
Tuor wrote:If I remember right he's paid for it through to 2017 or something like that

I thought it was till sometime around 2016. But I don't remember where I read that and it's totally from memory, so you might be the one who remembers correctly.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Mathias » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:40 am

noxux wrote:and non of them were drunk on Snafu.

This isn't a new thing. Not that anything at all is wrong with it.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby OrangeBee » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:23 am

Sounds like the site had one heck of a time with such colorful characters.
Can't have too much fun or shit goes down

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
Time to unclench my friends

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:37 am

OrangeBee wrote:Sounds like the site had one heck of a time with such colorful characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9QiqYi6A8

Randori wrote:Man, it surprises me how a community grows, stays constant, and withers away as I read these vets' posts. Makes me wonder how this site will live on before it's "deadline" of 2017.

I like to think of it as a cycle, like a phoenix. Times rise, live on great, and then they die out. People move on and pursue other things in life. But then it repeats it and it grows back again with new times and new people. Like I don't have the people that I hang out with like I use to, QU is a exception to this rule, we're closer now for obvious reasons and its fun. There are new people that are coming out that are making the comics fun to talk about again, and I'm experiencing something new and fun by being a mod. The site is growing back. We have new people who are committed to staying around, and some members who are returning. There is still work that can be done to get more people on.

Times change, but I think too often we look back with regret or sadness for times that have passed instead of enjoying the moment we have right now with what we have.

Yeah. My "childhood" on this site and up to the point I left was pretty dang fun. But so is this. It's just different to the point that I couldn't compare the two very well.

I remember BR saying something about the site and its deadline. It was basically "don't worry about it".
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby Q.U. » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:11 pm

Ah yeah I recall that situation, I still think given your post count back then and given the nature of the photo, 1 or 2 mods would've banned you had they seen it first. It's funny to read now especially the "I don't make the rules here" part, since now you do get to have an influence on the rules.

Influence is such a strong word. I enforce them, like we all do.

Yeah. My "childhood" on this site and up to the point I left was pretty dang fun. But so is this. It's just different to the point that I couldn't compare the two very well.

I like to reserve "childhood" as a term to describe yourself from a time when you were new to the internet in general, and young as a person. It shows, usually. This is something that I don't think you've had much of in this forum. You came here pretty much already "developed" in terms of your internet personality and code of conduct. Same as people like BR, or Ryley. There are users who actually did grow up here, and whose posting style changed dramatically over the years. Like Grey, or Mirak. For them this forum was probably one of the first, and early in their life. And so they had room to grow and develop. Others came here already developed from other websites, and thus don't have funny and silly posts in their post history. At least not on this forum.
This may also be significant in determining how we look at our personal "golden eras" on a forum.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Rival » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:22 pm

Blood Lord wrote:The site is growing back.

It is? Personally I see a steady decline in activity everywhere. Even Spam that was traditionally the most robust, has only 5-6 threads posted in each day.

I agree about not worrying about the forum 2016/2017 deadline though.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Spam has nothing good going on right now, just game threads that are a little meh.

But yes, we are doing better, I think. The other sections such as Literature and Art are experiencing growth, the comic updates are still bringing in people who are returning more and more, and then most importantly there are new people who are getting very active in the site. I believe things are looking better now then they did oh, six months ago.

In my personal, and jaded opinion (because I'm posting everywhere in this site), I think its going well. It can be doing better, it can always be doing better. Getting people to the site, participating in it, holding contests, etc can be ways to further grow and strengthen the site from what we are able to do. Even getting the vets back and active would help a ton. Comics and other things have to go through BR and eventually/possibly Dave. Can't really do anything about that, but all well.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby noxux » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:12 pm

Does someone here have any contact with Dave?
Mysterious fate

Postby Tuor » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Yes, BR does
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Rival » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Blood Lord wrote:In my personal, and jaded opinion

Your opinion isn't jaded, jaded doesn't mean subjective. It means apathetic, tired and fed-up, and implies a lack of enthusiasm. Your opinion is optimistic and enthusiastic, so it's the opposite of being jaded.

Postby OrangeBee » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:08 pm

All this talk reminds me of one other site I go onto    TheLockLegion    They get members every once in a while but not many of them stick around much or barely ever come in. If they'd be nice to new members and tell them how things work then the place would be much more active.

Anyway. I'm sure if more people knew about the comics here and then they would also want their comic here and start posting in threads.
Can't have too much fun or shit goes down

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
Time to unclench my friends

Postby EagleMan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:22 pm

Probably one of the biggest issues is the vets are all too old now and no one feels like posting random threads that might lead to a discussion. You sort of lose that spontaneity as you grow up, especially since you also come to judge it as you grow up, throwing it in with the leagues of "hi im teh penguin of d00m", so it kind of discourages threads. Which is why spam is hardly "spam".

Even then there's a whole legion of old members who used to browse the Snafu section that I haven't seen in years that must be in their late 20s/early 30s now. More of us will probably fade as we graduate university and get 9-5 jobs and kids and a spouse.

Previous

Return to Snafu General Discussion