Last video game you bought

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Last video game you bought

Postby Havoc » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Dark Souls for the PS3. At GameStop, the cashier asked me, "Do you enjoy torturing yourself?"
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigment » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Resonance of Fate for the 360. Cashier told me, "If you like Final Fantasy, you'll like this." Not a clue why he said that. There doesn't really seem to be anything they have in common besides being JRPGs. That being said, the game is pretty fun.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Brax4 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:57 pm

It seemed to be a tough game to figure out. I only played it for a bit at my ex's house, but it really takes a lot of playing to figure out the combat system. I've heard it's a great game when you really get into it.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Sigment » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:45 am

It really is, actually. There's quite a few elements of customization in here that I don't see in RPGs all that often. Weapon modification doesn't affect the weapon aesthetically, and that's good. Otherwise, my handgun would be really fucking ugly right now. Picture a barrel attached to a foregrip, underneath the actual barrel. Add to that three different scopes attached in different places on top of the gun, none of them lined up.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Brax4 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:26 pm

That's pretty neat, though I actually like to see a difference in weapons when you attach something to them. But I'm glad you're enjoying it.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Got Lost planet colonies for five dollars on Xbox live. Best five bucks spent.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
Blighttown is easy

Postby Asmodai » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:49 pm

The Secret World, which so far is a surprisingly good MMO... The combat system feels a little lacking (it's pretty interesting, with resource building attacks and finishers, but it requires you to spam every attack which is a strain on your hand), and I absolutely love how there's no class system, or even a level system. It's all gear based. You can switch "role" whenever you like (although you obviously need the points to unlock skills), which gives it a very open feeling.

The main selling point for me are the quests though, each one is accompanied by a small cutscene with some surprisingly good voice acting and writing. it even features puzzles that force you to think really, really hard. They even encourage you to use things like Google and Wikipedia to look up stuff (the investigation mission where you had to read up about Edgar Allen Poe's "Gold Bug" was very well done).

And perhaps best of all, clothing is purely cosmetic! This sounds like something small, but its refreshing to know that if you wanted to, you could keep the same outfit throughout the entire game if you so wanted (you probably dont, because there's plenty to buy/unlock).

Oh, and it uses the Guild Wars system. Purchase it once, keep it forever.
Mephobiac

Postby Brax4 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:02 pm

The Godfather Part II, I loved this game so much on computer that I bought it for Xbox. I'm attempting to get every achievement in it. Things are going swimmingly.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Remni » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Asmodai wrote:The Secret World, which so far is a surprisingly good MMO... The combat system feels a little lacking (it's pretty interesting, with resource building attacks and finishers, but it requires you to spam every attack which is a strain on your hand), and I absolutely love how there's no class system, or even a level system. It's all gear based. You can switch "role" whenever you like (although you obviously need the points to unlock skills), which gives it a very open feeling.

Yeah I played the beta for the game and absolutely loved it, bought it after it went F2P, but sadly the laptop I'm on right now couldnt handle the game so I have to wait to get my actual PC back in working order. Soon as I do though I'll happily join you.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
||The soul sheds light and death is it's shadow. When the light dims, life and death embrace.||
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Brax4 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:53 am

Brax4 wrote:I'm attempting to get every achievement in it.

About 12 hours later, done. Got 'em all.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Asmodai » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:09 am

Remni wrote:
Yeah I played the beta for the game and absolutely loved it, bought it after it went F2P, but sadly the laptop I'm on right now couldnt handle the game so I have to wait to get my actual PC back in working order. Soon as I do though I'll happily join you.

Yush! I could definitely use a dungeon partner... Plus, I love how the game allows me to replay quests, so I can just tag along with you

Also bough Shadowrun Returns. It feels nice to play an old school RPG again, reminds me of my Neverwinter Nights days. And the lack of voice acting or cutscenes actually works in its favor, giving it a pleasant retro feel. Campaign is horribly short though, and gunplay definitely feels more powerful than any of the other ways of playing (dont ever touch a sword or melee weapon in general).

I'm mostly interested in seeing what the community will create through the editor
Mephobiac

Postby Remni » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:00 pm

There's already 2 extra campaigns built with the Shadowrun editor you can download from the Workshop actually. People finished them while the game was still in beta, and there's also some trying to recreate the original SNES and Genesis games as well. So I'm not worried about the main campaign being short, the whole point of the game was for user generated campaigns to have it work like the actual Shadowrun PnP game.

Also just bought Rogue Legacy yesterday and I'm greatly enjoying that game. The whole generation system works wonders and the traits you can start out with are both hilarious and fun to use.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
||The soul sheds light and death is it's shadow. When the light dims, life and death embrace.||
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

There are so many things to do in this game aside from the main story that I don't know where to start.

I pre-ordered it from GameStop (shitty place), but I did because they had the 4E Eclipse for their pre-order. I loved that suit.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Brax4 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:46 pm

As for the last game I bought, Saints Row 4, I couldn't be happier. I was stoked for this game, but fearful at the same time. Going into the game with that mentality, I started playing and was having a blast from the beginning, just like Saints Row 3.
This helps a lot, the fact that Crackdown was free for XBL, relates a ton to SR4. SR4 does everything Crackdown did, but with tons of improvements, as well as a the game you know and love, and some small extra features.

I got the Super Dangerous WUB WUB Edition. Worth it.

Bellorosso del Fiore wrote:Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

There are so many things to do in this game aside from the main story that I don't know where to start.

I pre-ordered it from GameStop (shitty place), but I did because they had the 4E Eclipse for their pre-order. I loved that suit.

I haven't played a Splinter Cell since Chaos Theory. What makes Blacklist so different? Not being snarky, just curious.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Oh man you have no idea. This game is freaking big.

I was also surprised to find that this SC is competitive as well. Leaderboards, Spies vs Mercs, weekly challenges, Daily Missions, Challenges, you name it. You've also got missions provided by Grim, Charlie, Briggs, and even Kobin. There are a bunch of unlockable items for your mission load outs as well, and holy shit, I counted dozens!

Your gear is also customizable as always but there's a whole lot of emphasis on it; you can now have a selection of camouflage for use with your Ops suit and you also have some other components to mix and match as well; all of them are Goggles, Torso, Gloves, Pants, and shoes. For your goggles, you can change the color of the lights so that rather than green, you could have Voron Red for example (actual item).

I can't really say much because I've only just completed the second mission. I actually spoiled the story line via YouTube walkthrough's but that's alright with me. And as for that, the story is the weakest part of the game, but I don't mind at all; I felt that this can be overlooked thanks to its presentation. The game looks beautiful.

Overall, there are many things you can do in this game, and each and every decision you make is entirely up to you. If you're an action guy, you could go all out assault if you wanted, or you can stay traditional and either knockout or eliminate enemies behind the shadows. It's all about choice here, so you can just strut and do your one-two thing here.

I've played the games for over 10 years now. This is probably one of the best Splinter Cell games since Chaos Theory. Also, I finally get to try Spies vs. Mercs for the first time in my life. It's going to be an exhilarating ride for me. Definitely would recommend it.

I bought Splinter Cell: Blacklist for the PS3 because of the Free Internet.

Forgot to mention, you use in game currency rather than the PEC points featured in Conviction. There are also three playstyles: Ghost (Stealth, Non Lethal), Panther (Stealth, Lethal), and Assault (self-explanatory.) You earn more money if you play as a Ghost.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Let me put this on a separate post here (please excuse me for that. This is a long explanation): I'm playing Blacklist on the Perfectionist Difficulty. It's definitely harder than Realistic, and the catch is that you can't use Mark and Execute. Also your Sonar Goggles can no longer see through walls.

If you're interested in getting Blacklist, then the first thing I should let you know about is the controls. It's different from Conviction and the first four Splinter Cell games. Here's a list of what each button does based on what I saw so far:

D-Pad Up: Night Vision/Sonar Goggles
D-Pad Down: Alternate Weapon (AR, SMG, SR, SG)
D-Pad Left: Non-Lethal Firearm (Stun Gun, Crossbow. Tap this button when using the Crossbow to switch projectiles.)
- Holding this button opens up the inventory screen. Press Square to toggle Lethal and Non-Lethal.
- Hold the Right Thumbstick in any direction to highlight an item.
D-Pad Right: Pistol

Triangle/Y: Execute

Circle/B: Cover Button. Lets you take cover while concealing your presence.
- Aiming your reticule when in cover also reveals three arrows. Pressing Cross/A lets Sam move to that position.
- This is an effective maneuver and I suggest getting used to it, especially in Perfectionist whenever a guard is showing their back to you.
- Press Circle/B, don't hold the button; this is what the Cover System used to be like in Conviction. Press Circle/B to move freely again.
- Yes, this is no longer the crouch button. I'll get to it in a second.

Square/X: Knock-Out or Kill
- Hold Square/X to pick up bodies. (You can pick up Guard Dog bodies too. There are bins in the game where you can get points for hiding bodies in there.)

Cross/A: Your action button. Also used for jumping over obstacles, opening windows, etc.

L1/Left Bumper: Zoom-In/ADS (Kind of like Call of Duty. Hold the button down to remain zoomed in.)
L2/Left Trigger: Use Gadget
- When using a Sticky Camera, holding the trigger deactivates it, pressing it switches to Sticky Camera.
L3/Left Thumbstick: Switching Shoulders, Crouch (This is really awkward. Try getting used to this as well. I don't think it should be a big deal though because Halo uses the Left Thumbstick to crouch as well, so in a way it's quite familiar.)

R1/Right Bumper: Fire Weapon
R2/Right Trigger: Mark
R3/Right Thumbstick: Didn't press this button yet. I think you reload with this.

START: Pause
SELECT: Whistle.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Mathias » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:00 pm

New Vegas, and I have since been disappointed, especially with its inability to load properly.

Postby Sigment » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Lost Planet 3. Lovin' the story, though it's a bit short if you ask me. Haven't delved too far into the multiplayer yet, but it is kind of fun.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Sentios » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:07 am

Tales of Xillia

Short game, story was okay, battle system makes mystic arts feel secondary rather than epic. Vesperia was far better IMOP.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Sigment » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:42 am

Sentios wrote:Vesperia was far better IMOP.
Was kinda annoying getting the Fell Arms. But it was worth it, along with the Dark Enforcer title, and the Brionac.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:55 am

Picked up "Killer is Dead" a little while ago and I finished it.

In my humble opinion as a gamer, its a lot better than some reviews have said.
Bark

Postby Brax4 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:33 pm

It got terrible reviews. Still, so far, in my eyes, Suda51 can do no wrong. Loved everything I've played by them. I own Killer is Dead, and I got all the extras with it, the free 80 page book and soundtrack. Haven't even touched it. I want to 100% Saints Row IV before I move on.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Just got all of the achievements for Assassin's Creed 2. First game to actually do that, I've been way close in the past but there was always that one achievement that just couldn't get to happen because the stars wouldn't align right.

Now I'm going for Brotherhood. Which I've heard is the best out of the Ezio trilogy.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Sigment » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Did you have to look up the solutions to the Truth puzzles?

The Resident Smartass

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:50 pm

On one of them I did. It was one of the combination locks. I couldn't see the clue anywhere on it.

For the feathers, totally cheated on that one and used my phone to get a map. There is about a hundred of them in the Xbox version.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu Gaming