Welcome to the Weirdness

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: Welcome to the Weirdness

Postby Ro Wong » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:06 am

Happy birthday, Bob. You fucker.

Fuck.
Demon of Elru

Postby Fellguarde » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Oh my.

It's Bob's day.

Whatever shall we do?

Happy birthday, if you're around. If you're not then fuck you have an awful day, I hope you catch the funny scurvy.

NeoWarrior7 wrote:How's the new Tau stuff though?

I'm not even a Tau player, and even I'm glad for the new Tau release. They're finally not only viable but one of the most tactically versatile armies around. If you've ever been interested in them, now's the time to pick up the game (though, I'd recommend buying everything you can from ebay. Fuck GW and its extortionate prices).

Postby Cloud3514 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Fellguarde wrote:
NeoWarrior7 wrote:How's the new Tau stuff though?

I'm not even a Tau player, and even I'm glad for the new Tau release. They're finally not only viable but one of the most tactically versatile armies around. If you've ever been interested in them, now's the time to pick up the game (though, I'd recommend buying everything you can from ebay. Fuck GW and its extortionate prices).

The prices can be partially explained by their refusal to use Chinese labor, which I can respect, but yeah, their prices are getting a bit silly.

Anyway, it's less surprising how much they added and more how little they added. Mostly, they rebalanced things to the point where the Tau have gone from barely playable to pretty damn awesome. Ethereals are actually viable HQ choices now (though I personally prefer the Cadre Fireblade as my secondary HQ for reasons I'll get to), their new rule, Supporting Fire, is really useful and greatly increases strategic options. Also, the new Pathfinder models are pretty nice.

As for the new units, I already expressed my liking of the Cadre Fireblade, which is a new non-Special Character HQ choice. He grants his unit Volley Fire, which lets them fire an extra shot per model if the unit stands still. Not to mention that he has BS5 and carries a Markerlight, so he's a reliable choice if you want to mark something that needs to die ASAP.

Marker Drones are no longer laughably useless because they now cost half as many points and Drone Controllers now grant Drones the BS of the Battlesuit carrying the Controller.

Their Flyers appear to be really nice. I have a Sun Shark, but I haven't had a chance to field it, so we'll see how that goes eventually.

Then there's the XV104 Riptide Battlesuit. It stands more than twice as tall as any other Battlesuit (yes, in spite of the Tau's normal aversion to giant robots). It has an experimental reactor that can be overcharged at the risk of venting onto the pilot to boost its movement, firepower or shields. It is also one of GW's biggest models. Outside of apocalypse models, only the Eldar's Wraithknight stands taller (and the new Eldar book is a whole different can of worms, but I'm absolutely terrified of it).

Their Special Characters are pretty cool, too. Farsight, Shadowsun and Aun'Va have been updated and are now more viable than in specific situations, though I still don't care for Aun'Va, personally. He seems too fragile to be particularly useful.

Aun'Shi, who's had a model for years, despite no rules existing for him that I know of, appears to be a great unit to use if you need to hold up an enemy Character if forced into close combat. Again, not a fan personally. He's still an Ethereal and you'll be penalized when he dies, despite him appearing to be meant to hold things up until he dies.

Darkstrider is really cool and I've thought about running him. He allows his unit to make a fall back move after Overwatching and appears to be a good alternative to a Fireblade, despite only having 5+ armor.

Longstrike is a Hammerhead upgrade. He boosts the tank's BS to 5 and allows it to Overwatch multiple times per turn (normally vehicles can't Overwatch at all), plus granting it Supporting Fire, Tank Hunter and Preferred Enemy (Imperial Guard).

Postby Tuor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:36 pm

Can they do close combat now?
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Cloud3514 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:21 am

Tuor wrote:Can they do close combat now?

They always could, in theory. They just suck at it. Aun'Shi stands out because his Character specific rule is all about fighting in single combat, which is why I think he's meant to hold enemy Characters in combat. Commander Farsight also stands out because he's designed to lead a large amount of Crisis Battlesuits into close combat. He has the Tau's only Power Weapon and he's tied with Aun'Shi for highest WS and Initiative in the Tau Codex at 5.

In terms of close combat, the vast majority of the Tau's strength comes from very situational use. Farsight's Battlesuit swarm is meant to take advantage of the Crisis Suit's high strength and toughness to make up for their poor WS and Initiative. Kroot are meant to buy time for the Tau to set up better shooting positions and distract from said shooting positions. Vespid, as far as I can tell, are meant to be a close range strike force. They are Jump Infantry, have S5 AP3 guns with Assault 1, I5, T4 and a respectable 4+ armor save. I feel like they're supposed to shoot to weaken their target, then assault to finish them off.

Really, you're not playing Tau for close combat. There are plenty of other armies for that. You're playing Tau because they shoot better than any other army.

Postby Tuor » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:24 am

So still mostly the same as the last time I looked at a Tau codex in the close combat sense then.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Belwicket » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:27 am

I have an RP idea I want to post for comedic effect. Should I post it in the idea thread still or could I post it here?
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Cloud3514 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:35 am

Tuor wrote:So still mostly the same as the last time I looked at a Tau codex in the close combat sense then.

Yeah, pretty much, but that's kinda the point.

Postby Tuor » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:35 am

Ya, of course.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Fellguarde » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:26 am

Cloud3514 wrote:(and the new Eldar book is a whole different can of worms, but I'm absolutely terrified of it)

Why? It's a pretty terrible codex. About half the units in it are worse than useless and most of them were given a price increase and a statistical decrease. The only new things in the book are either horribly overpriced or just kinda meh. It's basically Wave Serpent Spam: Son of Wave Serpent Spam.

Postby Hana » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:23 pm

So, a couple of days ago some sort of insect bit or stung me, and I'm having an allergic reaction. It's not super-serious, but it does require me to be constantly doped up on benadryl so that I don't scratch the bites raw and get them infected. Just a heads up for anyone wondering where my brain has gone these past few days. I will be posting in threads, but I ask patience and forgiveness if anything doesn't make sense.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Exodis » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Damn you Nature!
Get better soon Hana!
We (well, I) miss you!
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Deemed as the best, Outlawed as the worst.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Kid

Postby Belwicket » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Thank the Goddess you're alright, Hana.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Exodis » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Which Goddess are you refering to Bel?
Goddess of Wisdom, Goddess of the Hunt, Goddess of Harvest, Goddess of Love, etc. etc.?
I can go all day...
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.

The Kid

Postby Belwicket » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:38 pm

The Goddess Gaia.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Exodis » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Eh I was close.
Wait, I didn't know she was a Goddess. Who'd a thought...

The Kid

Postby MQuinny1234 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Well, the titans were gods too, just that they were also titans.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Cloud3514 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Fellguarde wrote:
Cloud3514 wrote:(and the new Eldar book is a whole different can of worms, but I'm absolutely terrified of it)

Why? It's a pretty terrible codex. About half the units in it are worse than useless and most of them were given a price increase and a statistical decrease. The only new things in the book are either horribly overpriced or just kinda meh. It's basically Wave Serpent Spam: Son of Wave Serpent Spam.

Their Shuriken weapons all effectively have Rending now. The Wraithknight is utterly terrifying statswise. Wraithguard got nothing but buffs. Distortion weapons are all AP2 and most of them have the range to make up for them being Artillery. I seriously don't understand why people are complaining about this book so much. Its the same as when everyone was bitching about the Dark Eldar book. And they're universally BS4 now (though I admit I don't know if that was how it was before). Just because there isn't an obvious "I win button," doesn't mean its a bad book.

Postby Belwicket » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:59 am

She is also known as Mother Nature.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Fellguarde » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:57 am

Oh, sure, shuriken spam is great, but I'm not a fan of codices that offer one or two good builds and lots of chaff. It's the mark of a good codex when everything in the book is useful. Pretty much all Eldar armies are going to look the same for this edition (i.e. 2-3 spiritseers, guardians/dire avengers, wraithguard, wave serpents). Basically anything that doesn't have a shuriken rifle or a distortion weapon isn't worth taking.

Course, this build is a fucking nightmare for anyone with small, armoured forces or lots of expensive multi-wound units.

Postby Belwicket » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Belwicket wrote:I have an RP idea I want to post for comedic effect. Should I post it in the idea thread still or could I post it here?

Nobody answered my question.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:39 pm

Normally its a indication that no one cares...

they are talking about something else. You should try it, go out into the rest of the site and meet some people.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Cloud3514 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:36 pm

Fellguarde wrote:Oh, sure, shuriken spam is great, but I'm not a fan of codices that offer one or two good builds and lots of chaff. It's the mark of a good codex when everything in the book is useful. Pretty much all Eldar armies are going to look the same for this edition (i.e. 2-3 spiritseers, guardians/dire avengers, wraithguard, wave serpents). Basically anything that doesn't have a shuriken rifle or a distortion weapon isn't worth taking.

Course, this build is a fucking nightmare for anyone with small, armoured forces or lots of expensive multi-wound units.

I seriously doubt that everything in the book outside of Wraith, Distortion weapons, Shuriken weapons or Wave Serpents are outright useless. Battle Focus should open up a lot of options. With it, in many ways, you have Jetpacks without actually having Jetpacks (slower, yes, but Battle Focus using units don't treat terrain as Dangerous). You have the fastest Bikes in the game. The book has been out for a short amount of time. I can't imagine that people won't find new ways to run them over time. Again, this is a lot of the same stuff I kept hearing about Dark Eldar when that book first came out.

EDIT: Also, before you make the points argument that a friend of mine makes when complaining about it: I can nickle and dime the SHIT out of the 6th edition Tau book. Why is the Commander 10 points more when all of the other battlesuits got cheaper? Why are Stealthsuits still 30 points each? Why are gun drones more expensive than the 10 points they used to cost? Why are half the battlesuit weapons more expensive while the other ones are cheaper? And so on and so forth. I think one of the complaints is that people are looking at individual point costs instead of point costs as a whole and unit effectiveness.

Postby Fellguarde » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:03 am

Don't get me wrong, Battle Focus is a great rule and all, but there's really no point in taking anything like Banshees or Swooping Hawks. People aren't really annoyed that things are less awesome in the Eldar book, they're annoyed that the situation has remained relatively the same. Most aspects were useless before, needing a Farseer babysitting to make them viable, and are still useless now. Striking Scorpions are probably the only aspect warriors that came out of the transition more effective than they were before.

Most of the point costs seem solid, the problem is that a few units needed more of an overhaul. Banshees are probably the worst offender here - the change to 6th Ed made them totally incapable of performing their battlefield role.

Also, wasn't the new Deldar codex praised as basically the best killer of vehicles ever? I don't remember that book being ripped on, though I don't hang around Warseer or DakkaDakka or the like.

Cloud3514 wrote:Why is the Commander 10 points more when all of the other battlesuits got cheaper?

I wondered this when the book first came out, and I'm going to assume it's the invulnerable save. Stealth Suits are just more effective than they were before.

Postby CrimsonJack » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:57 pm

So you thought I was gone~ it was merely an absence, unexcused for long~ now I have returned with but a simple hello.
Do you know where the real Hell is? It's inside your head.
Do you know where the real Heaven is? It's beyond the clouds, a horizon we all see in the end.
That's why my head is always in the clouds, hoping to see that Heaven beyond the horizon of Life and Hell.
Sayonara, Adios, Goodbye.
Stella

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing