League of Legends Snafu Group

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: League of Legends Snafu Group

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:27 pm

When I jungled him I focuses Phoenix for farming then bear for engaging, but I've only played him once since the rework, and that was in ARAM, so.
For the Greater Good

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:10 pm

Yeah, I always used to go phoenix for jungling.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Just reported someone for verbal abuse... In a bot game. He was all-caps, swearing, angry about dying a couple time because the team wasn't on his position... In a bot game. No hope for the human race league of legends community.

Postby Hiryu » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:33 pm

I had that issue a couple of weeks ago. Best part was him acting like he was better than everyone else and that we were pros for winning a bot match.
Checked his match history and to no surprise at all, he only played bot matches.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby nobody » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:10 am

Lol wut? now that's the way to play the game
Nowhere man please listen.

Postby Q.U. » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:00 am

That bonus clip... I laughed out loud at the end.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby BeeAre » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:38 am

First black champion (unless Karma is black??)! Lucien the Purifier. Uses runestones that fire magic energy as gun substitutes.

His story as detailed in the preview is... ephemeral, from what I can tell. I don't think it works to give a champion a single goal that can be done in any short-order. Graves, for instance, is just pissed at TF. That's what got him in, and we don't really know why he's stayed in at this point.

The League's set of tales are like Fighting Game Character Backstories, in that once they're established, that's it. They can't be shifted from their origin. The only changing the happens with fighting games is when a new game changes the story, if you see what I mean. Mortal Kombat loved to do this shit with new games, to sorta... "New Coke" their "Classic" fighters.

League, DOTA, they actually can, through the necessities of balancing and eternally fine-tuning their roster of characters, give their champions some vague methods of story progression. Their Journals of Justice was MOSTLY crap, but it did allow for some rare clever moments that explained in-universe a reason a champion sucked. Kayle, for instance, got some kind of magic disease and had it fixed, and this was to explain at least one of her many redesigns. You can see that on the League Wiki, it's no bullshit. Another way to explore the champion stories are through skins! Demonblade Tryndamere represents what happens when Trynd's sword, which he got from Aatrox, makes him lose his shit and going evil-fied as a result of using the sword too liberally.

Stories that are the trend in the League, and thus (generally) better, are things that deal in issues the champion can't immediately solve, thus giving an in-universe reason they stay in the static, for all intents and purposes eternal state of skirmishing. Such plot devices that accomplish this - to varying degrees of success, it is granted that a few do skirt the line of being solved easily and thus losing the suspension of disbelief we develop if we give two shits about the story - include but are not limited to: lost artifacts, cures for diseases (Zilean, old Trundle), politics, and good ol' fashioned "I like fighting!" My favorite, I think, is a lengthy enough backstory that makes the character more interesting from what they've done to get there so you can appreciate what drives them to remain static.

Good example(s) for backstories by way of yordle lore:

Teemo, for all the shit he gets, is pretty horrifying as far as champions go. Let's start out at the beginning of this infinite-cute skinned champ! Nice guy, for the good of his people volunteers to do something that his people can't really do for long periods of time, and go out on his own to scout. Turns how he's got the drive to be good at the job! Yordles psychologically need community or they go nuts, but Teemo can take it. He's a captain. Discipline and training! All simple and good, right?

To contrast, let's bring up Veigar. Primo evil yordle. He's what happens to one of his kind when he has no social network. He simply loses his mind from the lack of community. Veigar had one long stint in a Noxus prison for a bullshit reason, in solitary confinement to boot - bad for anybody - and went nuts and power-mad, sought out dark powers that from their names indicate a connection to the Void. Kha'zix, Malz, Cho and Koggie, best friends! I kinda hope Veigar really is the most bad of the bad guys, personally. Him killing someone really brutally would make everyone go "whoa". ...I'd like it. :B

Back to Teemo, to see how his separations might have affected him. Despite being spread out over several missions or whatever, with the relief to go back home whenever was reasonable, there is definitely a similar problem going on in Teemo's head. Isolation damaging his psyche like it does to any yordle. The single thing that makes his situation scarier is that he chose to do it.

His passive speaks volumes: he learned how to become effectively invisible just by standing still. That's pretty clear evidence his trips took a toll on him. Arguably, Veigar is really just a sad case, whereas Teemo is outright creepy.

Teemo is chipper like any yordle in Bandle City yordletown, usa. But his champion backstory notes that he has the ability to just shut off his emotions and not give a shit when he murders people. That's pretty terrifying. Tristana and his sense of duty are prolly the only things keeping him from being a fuckin' serial killer.

The line that got me onto this weird rant is the end of Lucien's preview. Something along the lines of having to kill whoever did whatever "twice". It can't be another champion. We've all seen people feed way more than two deaths.

You'd better start watching the Highlander movies if you actually want to achieve your goal, Lucien. You're going to be killing people way more than two times.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:52 am

TL;DR.

Well, not really, I did read it, but had to wonder why I did afterwards. As far as I'm concerned, if the game doesn't have a good story, I don't pay attention to it. It's obvious Riot isn't really trying anymore either: Many of the newer champions like Lissandra and Syndra don't even have justifications for being in the league.

Postby BeeAre » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 am

Vegedus wrote:TL;DR.

Well, not really, I did read it, but had to wonder why I did afterwards. As far as I'm concerned, if the game doesn't have a good story, I don't pay attention to it. It's obvious Riot isn't really trying anymore either: Many of the newer champions like Lissandra and Syndra don't even have justifications for being in the league.

Lissandra is doing what the League's intentions are: to solve political disputes through combat among heroes. She wants more power in the Freljord despite the in-universe public not understanding that Ashe and Sejuani's sister who was their sister Lissandra is not that Lissandra anymore, but the soul of an ice witch from a long time ago attempting to take over first her country then the world.

Syndra likes to be magically powerful and is an antithesis to traditional Ionian spirituality, and thus an unexpected political threat from the inside. If her justification is simply, "I wanna kill people and look good doing it!" That's fine, but I think she offers an option for lore later to justify a champion who is Ionian but works for Noxus outright, under Syndra's discretion.

Quinn and Valor had a huge long preview thing that was spread out over some time. A ranger in the form of a falconer team is an interesting concept they pushed, especially considering that Demacia is supposed to be, in-universe, against doing subtle things like scouting and hunting assassins with what is basically their own version of an assassin because that's NOT HONORABLE. Yet she crushes on Jar-man Episode 4 who is the one given her the explicit permission and order to do it.

Zac had this drawn out series of experiment notes that culminated in the researchers saying "We love him too much!!" and pulling him out, giving us an example of Zaun not ALWAYS being the fucked-up evil mad science counterpart to steampunk Piltover. He's like, the opposite of Mundo in that way. Pretty wacky. Also sounds like Taric's VA. Slime is outrageous, too, I spose. He also has one of the most unintentionally hilarious lines. It's supposed to be just a little joke, but the innuendo makes it spectacular. "Fighting is in my blood! ...I mean, my goo."

I like Viktor's reason for being in the League a lot: he's advertising! "Hey everybody! Be a robot! Look, three arms rock!"

Riven's story is muddled, but I think the gist of it, from browsing the new website's beta, which shows champion friends and rivals, is that Riven believes in the freedom that Noxus has so long as you are strong in pursuing it, and was a fervent warrior in its system. She probably has wicked mad girl-boners for Darius, or at least did before he helped Swain. However, when she found out about Singed and Swain (her rivals) doing shit that didn't benefit Noxus by being directly in the line of fire of Singed dumping chemical weapons on Ionian troops not giving a shit about the Noxian troops (including her) right there next to their enemy, she thought her city basically fell from grace. Her leader hired a mercenary and the two of them did shit that only benefited themselves. So she broke her sword to signify her disconnect from Noxus and joined the League for protection. Her ultimate makes her say shit like "There's no other way..." which means she regrets using the sword's magic to be pulled back together, but isn't an idiot and wants to stay useful to the League.

Skarner is muddled a bit too. He's scary because he was a warrior, but sometimes I go :0( when he says "I miss my kind..." I am not sure what they should have done there, to be honest. Being a scorpion is cool, though, so. It's okay.

Contrast Diana and Vi: home-runs as Champions go, to be sure. Both have kickin' rad songs, extremely deep, engaging personalities and purposes, and backstories that make their in-game personalities and attitudes applicable to their gameplay mechanics. For a video game, that's basically everything you want for your character.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
BR

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:15 am

TL;DR or care, this time for serious.

Postby Zelosse » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Fun fact; Leona's people killed off the 'moon heretics' that resulted in the prevention of acquiring a precious moonstone for trade with an exotic underwater species who thrived on its light, while the moon worshippers were given a stone of blackest night.
After the obliteration, Nami was forced to go looking for the moon worshipers.
Diana has a chance to be more than simple vengeance. She has the chance to save an entire race from utter destruction and resurrect a dead religion.

Also, Viktors lore was more than "I'm gonna be a badass robot, fuck you guys.' It was a way to show everyone the true genius behind advanced cybernetic techmaturgy, especially after the man who stole Viktors own documents went on to not only steal credit for the creation of a fully automated and sentient steam robot, but also participate and recreate a corpse into a walking death-dealer.
Viktors transformation is to him a way to prevent the injustice of the need of fighting for ones survival, that only the 'strongest may survive'. If we are all powerful machines, there is no need to a strongest. There is only a collective.

Postby Zelosse » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:19 pm

BeeAre wrote:
The line that got me onto this weird rant is the end of Lucien's preview. Something along the lines of having to kill whoever did whatever "twice". It can't be another champion. We've all seen people feed way more than two deaths.

My speculation on this always comes up as one person. ONLY. One. person.

Yorick Mori. The gravedigger. A prominent member of the shadow isles. A man you may kill, but will return in short order to finish the job.

Postby Q.U. » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:58 pm

BeeAre wrote:First black champion (...)

Ho, ho, you forgot Nocturne. Can't get any more black than that.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby BeeAre » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Yo Vegedus: Ass and you shall receive.

Q.U. wrote:
BeeAre wrote:First black champion (...)

Ho, ho, you forgot Nocturne. Can't get any more black than that.

YO I AIN' TRYIN' A BE RACIST TO GHOSTS BUT OTHERWORLDLY SPECTRES WHO WANT TO CONSUME THE DREAMS OF MORTAL BEINGS AIN'T UNDER THE PURVIEW OF PEOPLE, WHOSE BLACKNESS WAS POINTEDLY THE CONTEXT UNDER DISCUSSION BY ACKNOWLEDGING KARMA AND NOT NOCTURNE AS THE ONLY OTHER CHAMPION WHO - PEOPLE SUPPOSE - HAS THE PHENOTYPICAL QUALITY OF WHICH THE COMPARED CHAMPIONS HAVE.

Also Nocturne's weirdly tinged in layers that range from white identifying tips to violet to... purple hazes to indicate his ethereal nature. If that is from every angle, perhaps we are only seeing what a shell or cocoon is protecting as the real color, which we cannot comprehend lest we fear for our sanity. The possibility, I conclude, therefore, is that within Nocturne is a potential pupa of Video Game Rendering From The 90s, Q.U. Can You Trust That? Can You Trust 90s Video Games Rendering?
BR

Postby Q.U. » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:31 pm

I do not trust any rendering.

That's why I don't render.

I let my GeForce do that risky shit.

Also, am I remembering things wrong? Because as far as I remember last time I've read some LoL lore, it was stated that Heimer was the one who constructed Blitzcrank.

Postby Iris » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:07 pm

The lore was reworked somewhere down the line, Blitzcrank was made by Viktor, the credit however was taken by another scientist and subsequently the technology that was used to make the steam golem was used to 'save' Urgot thus sparking more fame for the other scientist while Viktor was left bitter.

Until he turned himself into a cyborg and then said fuck my sadness, everyone have a lazer!

Postby Asmodai » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Pfft haha... League of Legends and story
Mephobiac

Postby BeeAre » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:26 am

Asmodai wrote:Pfft haha... League of Legends and story

well yeah but i do like how yordles are sexually dimorphic half-fuzzy-animal-or-simply-hairy-dudes/half-blue-to-purple elf-hobbit-ladies as a fun workaround for standard hobbit/gnome/goblin faire with the neat quirk of requiring social communion to stay sane. Toss in the standard half-fantasy steampunk excuse for magic technology and you can have cartoon-style characters that act as self-styled half-parodies any serious concept you want from any of the major nerd subcultures! :0)

I likely did not use my hyphens (or much less severely, backslashes) appropriately in this post, with the most-likely issue being that they were applied incorrectly. If anyone wants to correct me, I would would actually welcome the effort. *tap dance*
BR

Postby Asmodai » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:22 am

Oh I dont mind the setting, they've done some fun stuff with that (Yordles being the best example), but the story of LoL is a joke
Mephobiac

Postby Q.U. » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:19 am

I just had a Yi and Rammus in bottom lane, both with revive and ghost. Really? I can see where they've been going with it but it didn't get anywhere.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new meta.

Postby Hiryu » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:58 am

HEY HEY, YOU LEGGO O' MAH TARIC!

ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Q.U. » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Well, i don't always play support. But when I do, I play Taric.

Also, I can't really relate to that video. I don't really remember getting abused. Sometimes I get frustrated when the ADC doesn't capitalise on my stuns, doesn't poke at all, walks into all the enemy spells, or otherwise makes stupid moves. I had a Draven one game who just kept getting hit by Janna's whirlwind. Where I dodged every one of them. I mean come on. Getting hit by a Nida spear, fine, but the slowest, easiest to spot and dodge spell in the game? Still, I don't normally hear shit from people, I think they don't really expect the support to do much. They can't like rage that you didn't get the kill, cause it's not your job. They can't rage when you die covering one of them escaping, cause that's your job.
So long as you ward regularly, and don't miss/screw up your spells, the team has little to complain about.

Postby Zelosse » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Postby Asmodai » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:52 am

RIOT would put boobs on weapons if they could
Mephobiac

Postby Seirui » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:56 am

I want a picture where Zac sees Nami doing that and is like, "Watch and learn" then shifts his goo to be a sexy female with a huge rack. For laughs.

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu Gaming