Snafu Therapy Thread. *TRIGGER WARNINGS* This topic is under Mod protection

A Free And Independent Scotland.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Snafu Therapy Thread.

Postby Tuor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:43 am

What made you have this revelation?
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby noxux » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:52 am

Ok, Teran what happened to you to say stuff like this?
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Teran » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:04 am

Got a little curious about afterlife and decided to check some information, and well, the answers I got were highly unsatisfactory, and a little depressing if I have to be honest.

It's good to have faith, but then again, when there's scientific evidence all over the place. The fact that the brain releases that thing I mentioned in my previous post really hit me.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm a little drunk too, but still, found this information very shocking.
Disclaimer: If you don't agree with my opinion, I'm not a comic reviewer or a writer, I'm just an asshole. Also, I'm probably drunk right now.

Postby Exodis » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:22 am

Well that's the thing: through all research, evidence, and such noone knows if there truly is an afterlife or not. Some may say yes because they experienced first had. You may be thinking "Well how's that possible if their dead?" Well, you can die and be brought back again. I don't know too much about those who have experienced death-and-back, but they say there is a heaven. We may not know if there will be Teran. A quote I like that defines the fate of the afterlife: "I want to believe that there's a heaven, but I don't want to believe that there's a hell."

Now, about your problem: you're worried that there may not be an afterlife and that when you die you'll just be trapped in your mind. Forget what will happen in the future, live for what you have in the present, and remember what you loved in the past. Don't be so depressed about your discovery, take it as only a warning, telling you "Never let a minute, hour, and day go to waste."

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Savior

Postby EagleMan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:20 am

It's important to recognize that faith and scientific evidence are not two things in direct contradiction to each other - fundamentalists and militant atheists love to play it up, but the truth is they can coexist amicably.

Many atheists go through the sort of death crisis you do, and they still come out on the other end okay. Things can become more precious when you come at it with the perspective that ultimately they are all ephemeral. Would you agree that life is about the journey, not the destination? Atheism isn't about the inevitability of death.

However I encourage you to keep researching into the issue. The true goal one should have in life is happiness, not intellectual superiority. Atheism works best for me, in that I can take solace in things being our only shot, and making the best of it as I can, and how I feel things take on even deeper import in the face of having no ultimate meaning.

Science says to always keep asking questions and to keep looking for the best fit answer. Many good scientists are religious with absolutely no identity crisis. I think it might do you well to keep searching for the answer that works best for you. Give it a go at whatever local religious institutions you have. Maybe you've only become disillusioned with the specific religious identity you had before. People grow and evolve. Christians can become atheist, atheists can become Muslim, Christians can switch denominations, and so on and so forth. It can't hurt to give it a shot.

Postby Q.U. » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:14 am

I strongly urge you to accept your mortality. Do not let your fear of your inevitable death make you waste your own mortal life pursuing phantasms and delusions. Look at yourself in the mirror. For billions of years, those particles, which are currently looking back at you have circulated in the universe. But for a brief moment they have coalesced in you. Rejoice in the impressive instant until they dissipate whence they came.

Delight that you're a spark of life in the universe. Life is so much more vibrant and vivid without bronze age paranoid superstitions, that cloud and contract the mind with some empty and undesirable promise that sparks can burn forever. Our time is finite. This gives our lives meaning. This gives our lives purpose. This gives our lives urgency. Live life today; savor it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6nQSe4scww
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Teran » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:42 pm

I feel a little better now guys, thanks for your replies. It was my mistake, you see, currently I'm going to a psychiatrist because, well, let's just say sometimes I get too paranoid and forget what's real and what's not, and he has told me to avoid reading this kind of stuff. Got curious yesterday (the beer motivated me), and there's the consequence. I'll talk with him about this tomorrow, but I still appreciate your responses, made me feel a lot better right now.

There may exist an afterlife, perhaps it's just an hallucination that feels like an eternity, dunno, but I really enjoy my life right now, and this makes me appreciate even more. Thanks again, guys.
Disclaimer: If you don't agree with my opinion, I'm not a comic reviewer or a writer, I'm just an asshole. Also, I'm probably drunk right now.

Postby midochiku » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:53 am

Can't believe I'm going to spill my guts seppuku style over the internet(guts every where and stuff), but I need to get things off my chest before they explode like dynamite.

I usually can't say these things because if I complain I get greeted with the old "there are people worse out there" shtick I understand that but it doesn't make things better. I'm only 14 and I have an older sister about to enter her 2nd year of college. Lets just say that in high school, she was an all-star. All A's, 2nd chair in Chamber's orch, bunch of APs, full scholarship, stuff like that. Because of this, I have certain expectations to uphold. I'm usually compared to her and it doesn't make matters better considering I fall a little short. She is a complete asshole with a horrible personality, and my dad is the stereotypical Asian dad. Everytime I fail or do something wrong, I am met with a wall of insults. Sometimes I just can't take it. Other times I can just suck it up. The worst insult my dad could say to me, and he already has, is that he is disappointed in me or that he has lost all expectations in me.

Another thing is, even though my sister exceeded so much, she decided she wanted to become a graphic designer. My dad was so angry, I expected his head to explode. This makes me scared, as I wanted a similar profession when I grew up. I am terrified of not being able to live my life the way I want to.

I grew up without a mother as she divorced my father when I was around 1, making her my dad's 4th divorce. However, my dad has remarried again and my stepmother is pregnant. She should be giving birth in a few days to my little brother, who's initials will spell out FAP(wow). Frankly I'm not so happy about being the middle child. Will I be pushed out of there lives as the other child?

Thank you for reading my worries and troubles. c:
Captain Marvel

Postby EagleMan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:01 am

Yeah, the "others have it worse" saying makes no sense. So, if there's someone who has it better than me, does that mean I should feel terrible? Who knows, maybe the new brother will distract your dad some and get him to calm down and it'll be a good thing for you. Here's hoping.

Postby Brax4 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:31 am

Well, I have an older brother who excelled in High School, straight As just like your sister. He was the golden child and went off to college, and he's doing great. He lives away from home and what-not. I still live at home, but I have a better job than he does, and I flunked out of college, and did pretty average in school.

School doesn't effect as much as you'd think it would. Like I said, I was pretty average, nothing special, and flunked college. But as of right now, I still live at home and have a better job than my brother, I'm saving a ton of money, and I'm almost done with my school loan, leaving me with 0 debt.

You just gotta' work with what you've got, live your life the way you want to live it, not the way others want you to.

That's just my advice, I guess it's not the greatest, but it's there.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Wulfespinndel » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:58 am

Why does your sister sound so much like somebody I know from High School three years ago? Well, in any case, I don't know what to say. My dad doesn't really look at art as a money-making potential kind of job so he advises me to stay away from any artistic jobs just because they don't provide a good pay, and that it'll make having a living a bad time, although he would still be supporting...but nonetheless, I can imagine, so I chose to be a nurse.

And hey don't be afraid, I had to get some things off my chest here in the thread as well. I confess that edited my posts out for the sake of my own privacy; I don't want the internet to get in the way of personal issues to be honest. Does your dad want you and your sister to have a certain job or something? My dad pressured me to be a nurse, but I can't say he succeeded. For him, it's all about money, that's not the reason why I wanted to be a nurse. I just want a good living, and the job satisfies the goal.

But I admit...I know exactly who I am, but no matter how hard I try, I am not everything I want to be, for I have no desire. I don't want to be a nurse, but neither do I want to be a Game Developer or an Artist. I used to have a desire for those careers. It's not the same anymore.

Everytime I fail or do something wrong, I am met with a wall of insults. Sometimes I just can't take it. Other times I can just suck it up. The worst insult my dad could say to me, and he already has, is that he is disappointed in me or that he has lost all expectations in me.

Same here. Sometimes when I see my dad treat my little brother like shit I just want to stand up for him because he's not that much of an idiot. Hell, he's got better grades than I do, and yet I'm the smart one? He's a smarter gamer compared to me, and he's even an artistic person. I wanted to be that person, but that's not to say I'm jealous of him. I wouldn't handle having an active imagination such as his. That is mentally too much for my brain. So yes, likewise, I wanted to be an artist at some point, even a Graphic Designer too, but that's before I knew more about the graphic design job. I once wanted to be a Comic Book artist and I still believe it is possible all thanks to Mark Crilley, an artist I look up to despite not being one myself.

And if they don't think you're special anymore once that new child comes, then I think there's an opportunity for you around that time. You should find a way to fulfill the need to feel special for yourself rather than your Mom or Dad. There is no need to rebel against them, just do what you can for yourself. Let the rest of the time in your life be for yourself and yourself only, and only be there for anyone else when they need you. Otherwise, time is on your side. Your sister has become nothing more than an ordinary person to them from what I'm reading. It will also be two more years for me and a few more years for you until you and I become the same.

When that happens you will be on your own. And I can't wait to be ordinary myself; there wouldn't be any need for me to be judged anymore so that I can do what I want within reason. The person I mentioned at the beginning of this post was a hardcore perfectionist who then had a bad case of clinical depression.

So in a nutshell just worry about yourself and your wants and needs. I think I repeated what Brax4 said, but still it was nice relating to you.

Oh and one last thing, be wise. Do not submit to reality as the way it is, and don't waste your 20s!
This too shall pass.

Postby midochiku » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:16 am

Thank you for the advice c:

And I actually wanted to be a worker for Funimation. My sister is also becoming a nurse, but after seeing what she has to do, I'm staying clear of that. My dad recommends me becoming a lawyer, or a doctor. I wonder if he knows just how hard it it to become either of those.
Captain Marvel

Postby Wulfespinndel » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:24 am

Oh yeah. My dad wanted to be a doctor but he didn't have the funds to move to America because he was living in Guam at the time. Like you and I, he too didn't get along with his father well and it was even worse. I don't want to share too much information for the sake of his privacy too since he does have a Facebook account after all, but I will mention that he moved out when he was 14 because of his relationship with his father. Speaking of which, I never knew what his relationship was like with him just months before he died. I wonder if they resolved their differences at all. And I would sooner have an OBJECTION to being a lawyer and I'd rather HOLD IT indefinitely for that job, so TAKE THAT society! (sorry for the horrible puns :P)

What did you want to do for Funimation and what's so hard about becoming a nurse?
This too shall pass.

Postby Brax4 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:19 am

Everybodies parents want them to be lawyers or doctors, those are both great, high paying, jobs. But they are both really tough majors.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby midochiku » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:19 am

I don't really know, script writer or animator something like that. And with being a nurse, my sister had to memorize every little thing of the human body. And she was always so stressed out.
Captain Marvel

Postby Wulfespinndel » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Not the case with my older brother at all. But yeah, there's a whole lot to remember, and when I looked at some of the things my older brother was studying, I was amazed at how many things from the human body I didn't realize existed.
This too shall pass.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:57 pm

And with being a nurse, my sister had to memorize every little thing of the human body. And she was always so stressed out.

It's horrible. I'm doing it right now.

The stress, I feel like its going to tear me apart or cause me to tear something nearby apart.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:23 am

I'm Asian, the strict family deal is really annoying to deal with when you're young, especially since the majority of them are stubbornly old fashioned, or stubbornly set on their own time. They mainly want you to have an occupation they define as 'stable'. It's not bad to have multiple options while perusing something that will make you happy. Even if you become successful at something they don't believe as stable they'll always think that you should find something more stable, unless you start making an abundance of money.
The expectations they have for you aren't going to raise any higher, they're just going to be told to your more often and in more detail. They already expect a lot from you, and they won't tell you til they feel like it, anything they tell you has a lot more behind it. For many people, a word has a sentence; a sentence to a paragraph, a paragraph to an essay; an essay to a book; a book to a series; in short, a word to so much more. The only difference is the time it takes for the information to be shared.

My little cousin, who's like a sister to me, wants to do something medical when she's older. I asked an uncle of ours, who's a doctor's assistant(he made it very clear that he's not a nurse, I didn't know much before my conversation with him), and I started to feel overwhelmed after an hour of just talking about what he had learned.

As for the 'someone has it worse' thought, it's true that there are people worse, but worrying about their issues doesn't help one's own. Everyone is unique. Everyone has their own life, and their own problems. Whether one problem is fundamentally worse than another, doesn't stop it from being a problem.

I came here out of shear boredom and ended up reading til I missed my train lol Bye!
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Morpheus » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:03 pm

At one today my dog of fifteen years let out a large scream.
He was breathing heavily for about two hours.
Then he started convoluting.
We took him to the vet and he said my dog had a stroke.
We just put him down and now we're getting a shovel to burry him with.
Everything just came so fast and I don't know what to think of it.

Postby Tuor » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:08 pm

I can't believe you're being allowed to bury him, wow.

Condolences, dude. It sucks losing a long time pet.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Brax4 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:51 pm

My dog died last year, I know how it feels. I really feel for you Morpheus.

I'm surprised you have the strength to bury him, it's a tough thing to do.

Once again, sorry for your loss Morpheus, I hope you're doing okay.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Tuor » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Here they don't really let you bury dogs, so that's why I'm suprised.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Morpheus » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:36 pm

It's very therapeutic.
I'm doing somewhat better.

Postby Exodis » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:00 am

Well, time to talk about a dream I had that left me on the verge of crying, had me baffled, and contemplating a lot.
So... here goes:

Remember that situation I had recently? Well it's still hitting me, but my dream literally broke me. My dream started off with me going to take my driver's license test with me taking the driving test. As I head into the car, I realized the teacher was her: my friend who I know feel distant with. This is how it went:
Me: "Hey!"
Her: "Hey."
Me: "So! Let's begin?"
Her: "Yeah."
So, we start the test and I try to strike a lot of conversations with me being nervous about both taking the test and talking to her. For some reason whenever I talked with her she sounded lifeless, bored, as if she wanted to ignore me. So, after the test was done, she just got out of the car and left. I was alone in the car, and I just started crying. Not like I was whimpering, but crying loudly, with tears just streaming, as if I just witness the death of a loved one.
And then I woke up. I was teary-eyed, kept thinking "What the fuck... what the fuck..." and then I contemplated for half an hour. And... that's it.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Savior

Postby EagleMan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:43 am

That just seems chock full of symbolism. Do you feel any better now though? Emotional processing does happen in your sleep.

PreviousNext

Return to Central Compton Botanical Gardens