My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Guardian » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:22 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:@Mr. Sefrol's picture of the warrior Twilight and Spike:

If that was the direction they were taking Equestria Girls I probably would have seen that by now. I really like how Twilight and Spike complement each other to help the other one look even more bad-ass.

This. Which is really funny considering the original purpose of the show and targeted audience. That is one of the things that I really like with the fandom and appreciate of the tv shows. The shows were built in such a simple manner to explain the basics and hint at things, like the fate of Applejack's parents, that the world is pretty much a sand box where you can get away with just about everything. That is the appeal to me at least. Then there is the crazy talent that the fans have. Just jaw dropping artistic talent, riveting fan made stories, and some pretty good music too.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Brother Orin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:31 pm

I finally got around to watch the movie.

So it was not as bad as people imply it to be, but it wasn't the best. I know it was made simply as a promotion for the human toy line, but it didn't take a whole lot away from the movie either.

I didn't care too much about the painfully obvious plot direction, nor the throw back jokes from the first season, one or two would have been alright, but the movie was chalk full of it, just like they were chalk full of fan pandering.

Other than that, I did like the rest of the humor as well as the music.

I still would like to see a movie or a two part episode where the girls have to stop Smooze from taking over and mind control all the Ponies, I'm sure with the talented writers, they can adapt Smooze to G4.

And on a side note, this needs to happen.
http://hampshireukbrony.deviantart.com/ ... 9640&qo=58

The laid back artist.
The sophisticated one
Karma's punching bag
The motherly confectioner
The Genius
The lovable dope
At your service.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 pm

I would kind of like an episode where they just do a bunch of side stories about random ponies around town and someone learning that there are so many different ponies, even if they don't know or see it.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Dibullba » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:03 am

Two vids, one pic

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:39 am

I don't know why, but humanized Discord always makes me think of KH's Xehanort.
An Optimist

Postby Sable » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:46 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:I don't know why, but humanized Discord always makes me think of KH's Xehanort.

Fuckin' beat me to it.
RacialslurX2

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:49 am

@Sefrol: It begs the question whether or not this game will stay true to what FiM is. I just hope Questria doesn't turn out be just an ero-game. So yeah, that's pretty much what concerns me.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Grivous » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Just posting this here because I must to:

I just have found tons and tons of parodies from the opening of this anime. And two of them are with MLP; this one is the best.

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby J-Dude » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:34 am

Oh my god... oh my god... you have to be fucking kidding me...

I know I'm evidently three weeks late on this, because it took a while to find a hosting site for the Japanese dubbed episodes, but...

Okay, so I've been watching a ton of them lately during bathroom breaks and such, and I've been enjoying them, save for the moments they change something or otherwise fuck up a classic joke.

Then I reach "Winter Wrap Up"... and those of you in the know about this know exactly where I'm going with this.

So you're eager to hear the Japanese version of the song, and it's about to come up, and then...

"Three months of winter coolneeeeeeess..."

Wait, what?! No... No, this HAS to be a mistake. They wouldn't REALLY do this, would they?

They DID. They didn't fucking bother translating and redubbing the song.

Oh, they've hit every single one before this episode, I'd almost say admirably so. Until THIS.

Did the translator/lyricist trip headfirst into his deadline, realize his failure and then commit seppuku, so the song dub was abandoned?? What the fuck?!

How confused must the poor kids watching this in Japan feel, suddenly hearing the characters speaking another language with the subtitles breaking onto the scene like the fucking Kool-Aid Man!

I just don't believe this. Did any OTHER dub pull this bullshit?! I can't respect this at all. No, don't give me excuses for their studio, I don't give a flying fuck what the excuse is, even if it's legitimate. This shit is unacceptable. Trying and failing is ONE thing, but failing to TRY is something I cannot feel sympathy towards in any circumstance.

So how many MORE radical disappointments will this dub throw at us? We gonna roll dice to see whether or not they abandon Art of the Dress? At the Gala? Smile Smile Smile? True True Friend? Celestia's fucking Ballad?!

I couldn't even watch the rest of the episode after this, it really IS that jarring and offensive in my book. God, what a fucking disappointment...
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:58 am

That's... disappointing.

@ Kusang: I get where you're coming from, but so far only with the style of Doxy being sexual and them listing the game will be PG (basically an E) rated, I'm not seeing any worry in that becoming an issue.
An Optimist

Postby Grivous » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:16 am

I must say I am surprise that they didn't make a Japanese version of "Winter Wrap Up". It's like the most creative place to make songs to their culture.
But I think the children can handle it because most of them in Japan learns English in school(and pretty damn well).
And not all songs made in Japan is sang in Japanese. Some have phrases in English or even the full song.
Ex: GO!!! - Flow(First Opening from Naruto).
In their lyrics, have only "We're Fighting Dreamers", "Right here, right now", "Get the fire" and "Just go my way".

Ex2: The Realm of Athena, from Lost Canvas.
From this song, the lyrics is all in English and they sing it.

And if you look for the lyrics from the last video I posted(Guren no Yumiya), a few phrases in it are in German.
The first line is "Sie sind das Essen und wir sind die Jäger!" or "They are the Hunt and we are the Hunters".

Now talking about Education to children, the child itself is really curious. I think the kid who is watching in English will search for information or even ask their parents about it.
If the parents don't or can't tell to them, they'll search for it in the internet(this isn't good) or tell it with their friends.
They'll always search for information, even if it's a silly one.

But don't ask me why they didn't dub the song.
Maybe it's because its quality won't be as good as the original(or even better than) or if it's really hard to adapt it to their culture.
Or they really like it as in English and didn't bother at it. I don't know exactly; there are reasons, for sure.

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Dibullba » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am

Grievous... I am disappoint. You give examples of songs in anime that use English and you fail to mention the opening theme to The World God Only Knows. FOR SHAME!!!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:44 pm

I also would have included the opening from Death Note (notable as the heavy "Engrish" accent allowed them to get away with having the F-word (well, a conjugation of the F-word) in the lyrics and still getting it past the people at Cartoon Network uncensored and Ghost in the Shell, notable for probably having the most languages in one set of lyrics (to me at least, there are points in the song that sound like English, Hebrew, Latin, Russian (someone told me that that is in fact the language most of it is in) etc.))
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Grieffon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:11 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:The only thing I can see Hasbro nitpicking over is the sexualization of the characters, but then that's usually what Doxy's art does. Been following this project for a while through Doxy's updates.

This is exactly why Questria won't be axed. Hasbro would avoid making publil the fact that there are M-rated fan content of MLP. Imagine what would happen if parents become aware of that. Had Fighting is Magic been more violent, Hasbro would have left it alone.

Postby Grivous » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:06 am

@Dibullba: That's because I have never heard of it. :B

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Dibullba » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:39 am

Grivous wrote:@Dibullba: That's because I have never heard of it. :B

Grivous.

Man, you are missing out then. The anime may have a larger appeal to the Otaku market, but it has a pretty decent story in it. Not to mention fantastic art and music if the intro was not an indication of that.

Postby Grivous » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:56 pm

Dibullba wrote:
Grivous wrote:@Dibullba: That's because I have never heard of it. :B

Grivous.

Man, you are missing out then. The anime may have a larger appeal to the Otaku market, but it has a pretty decent story in it. Not to mention fantastic art and music if the intro was not an indication of that.

I am starting read the manga right now. It's pretty funny with the awkward situations between Katsuragi e Elsie. The story is pretty cute too; I liked it(besides of Forever-alone feeling in the main character).
But fantastic art? I say that it's nothing to compare to The Lost Canvas.

Grieffon wrote:
Mr. Sefrol wrote:The only thing I can see Hasbro nitpicking over is the sexualization of the characters, but then that's usually what Doxy's art does. Been following this project for a while through Doxy's updates.

This is exactly why Questria won't be axed. Hasbro would avoid making publil the fact that there are M-rated fan content of MLP. Imagine what would happen if parents become aware of that. Had Fighting is Magic been more violent, Hasbro would have left it alone.

And what about Legends of Equestria? It have your own server now for anyone to make accounts and play it for free, and Hasbro didn't complain at that.
Sure it's way too different from Questria or Fighting is Magic but they are still using elements and characters of the show.

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Dibullba » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Fair enough to say that its not the best art style, but in the anime it has moments that just suck you in. Most particularly with the librarian girl chapter.

Postby Biostar » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:18 am

https://twitter.com/MMeghanMcCarthy/status/346349093565652992

Seems you can put your fear to rest Dibullba. For now anyway...

Postby J-Dude » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:14 am

Speaking of Legends of Equestria, anyone else try it yet?

Holy shit is this impressive from a workload standpoint. If anyone find a way of ripping the models from this game, I'm gonna be all over it. They hit every building! They even got the train!

It's not high res stuff or anything, but I was blown away by the exploration aspect of it, given this is by fans.

Everything else? Ugh... er... it's pre-alpha, let's be fair. The mechanics are basically nonexistent, and being able to navigate the environments is the chief accomplishment as of now. You can use character animations for emoting, teleport limited distances or fly, but playing delivery boy is pretty much the only quest mechanic I've seen.

There are also combat features, but they're so rough they're basically nonexistent. In the forest and in the caves you'll run into Timber Wolves, who ignore you unless you're VERY close to them, are easy to dodge or outmaneuver given the pathetic AI, and really not even worth killing. They're not gonna catch you, so running past is pretty much THE strategy.

Like I said, there's an Everfree Forest, but it's the weakest environment of the bunch. Just a cavern maze full of trees at low resolution, and a pretty pathetic take on the castle of the ancient pony sisters.

Room for improvement, but this game is clearly not going to be played for its dungeon-crawling.
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:13 am

I tried to get it to work on my computer, but it didn't work. Gonna try and get it going before it all closes down.

Anywho, I am actually a little disappointed that they're not going to use Flash in season 4. As I said before, another male character that appeared more often would have been nice to have. The only reoccurring male characters with lines are Big Mac and Shining Armor. Would have been funny too since you would have 3 male characters of all the pony races.
An Optimist

Postby Dibullba » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:02 am

Biostar wrote:https://twitter.com/MMeghanMcCarthy/status/346349093565652992

Seems you can put your fear to rest Dibullba. For now anyway...

Oh thank Celestia.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:27 am

Warning: This is a bit dark

This amused me, and I wish I had found it sooner.
An Optimist

Postby Grivous » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:29 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:Anywho, I am actually a little disappointed that they're not going to use Flash in season 4. As I said before, another male character that appeared more often would have been nice to have. The only reoccurring male characters with lines are Big Mac and Shining Armor. Would have been funny too since you would have 3 male characters of all the pony races.

Actually, I am kinda relieved with that. I don't want another "ShiningArmor-Character" suddently appearing in Twilight's life without any reason.
Well, about male characters with lines, there's a lot: Fancy Pants, Soarin, Doctor Whooves, Hoity Toity, Carrot Cake, Thunderlane, Cranky...
But with the same "spotlight" as Big Mac and Shining Armor: Carrot Cake and Fancy Pants, I think.
I would like more male characters in the show with more than just lines.

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby goggy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 am

And Spike. Don't forget Spike.
Awake but Confused

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)