Fucking Video Games These Days

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Fucking Video Games These Days

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm not very happy today.

There are many video games to play but none of them so far seem to appeal to me in a way. I'm so bored at my house that it's just stupid how there's always a lack of great selection...I'm tired of F2P games now because of how bullshit the people that make them are. But I'm tired of console games as well because of how prevalent First Person Shooters are. I also keep seeing the same title being released every damn year especially in the case of these games, and as for other developers, they aren't even trying as hard as they used to. I don't dig indie games either because of how fairly simple some of them can be. And you know what, I have a feeling that soon there may be too much for one to decide.

So I'm here to ask you guys, in desperation, to recommend me something...and give me more than a reason why I should play this game or that game...God, this feeling is horrible...I almost cried this week because Combat Arms was lagging so much for me and my laptop was shutting down so often due to overheating. I wish I could play this game without Razer Game Booster, but I end up lagging anyway regardless of my four bars. Fucking Nexon.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Re: Fucking Video Games These Days

Postby Exodis » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Want my opinion for your hate on the new video-game era?
Buy. Classic. Games.
PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, PS1, any games that were from the past.
I do that nowadays. I've bought Gamecube games that I've always wanted to play, like Metroid Prime, Sonic Heroes, and such.
You say you hate the new ones, why not try the old ones?
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Deemed as the best, Outlawed as the worst.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Universal Swordsman

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Give me some of that joint you're smoking Randori; what are some great games on the Gamecube that's awesome to play?

I'll save Resident Evil 4 for the Wii...that'll be fun.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Exodis » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:33 pm

RE4 for the Wii is awesome. The way you use your Wii remote to control your gun is pretty good. Although I never tried it with the Gamecube, RE4 on both consoles is great.
Games for the Gamecube I'd recommend are Viewtiful Joe, Tony Hawk's Underground (best Tony Hawk game imo), Metroid Prime, and LoZ: Wind Waker.

LoZ: Twilight Princess is best played for the Wii as it was originally planned to be used for the Wii. Gamecube's version is just a mirrored version of Twilight Princess.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.

The Universal Swordsman

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:38 pm

I already have Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. In all honesty I like the Game Cube version of Twilight Princess better, since Kakariko village remains on the same side as it was in Ocarina of Time.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Exodis » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Always wanted to get those games. Wind Waker's hard to find while Twilight Princess I want to get the white, original cover and not the Nintendo Selects cover.

The Universal Swordsman

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:49 pm

My Game Cube copy of Twilight Princess had none of those. I don't know how many days since the release date at the time I got it but it must have been too recent to have any of that at all.

Skyward Sword's North American cover is a letdown. If you've seen the Japanese and Korean copies of the game, they look so beautiful. Ryuji Kobayashi and his art work on that game deserves way better.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Mathias » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:56 am

So once PS3 becomes old, then the games will be good?

Postby The Mad Doctor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:18 am

I really cant speak for anyone in the world when it comes to what is considered a good game or not. Currently, the most popular genre is FPS, and one of my favorite game's are an FPS. Not all Shooters are the same. Few of them actually try to make themselves distinguished from the rest of the others.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
PRAISE THE SUN BITCH

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:56 am

I feel Bell's pain. It's been a few months since I've completed Mass Effect 3, and now no video game holds any interest.

Which would be a good thing if I wasn't chained to this computer all the time doing homework.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:19 am

Okay, Bell I don't know for sure what your tastes are so I'm only going to recommend games based off of what I liked about them.

I'll start with Okami and Dragon's Dogma.

Its been a while since I've had an honest to goodness goddamn adventure, but these games did not disappoint. Okami has one of the most unique art style I've seen in any video game and its my personal favorite game of all time. Dragon's Dogma has great combat, great character creation (this was the first time I was able to create a character that I actually had pictured in my head before playing the game) and it has some of the coolest monster designs and outfits of a lot of games. Dragon's Dogma is also a very good challenge, but it does have a few problems, but in my opinion the positives out weight the negatives.
And Okami is one of those games I just simply love. You play as Amaterasu (Ammy) who appears in a wolf form in this game and you travel accent Japan protecting people from monsters, bringing life back into the land and a whole bunch of other stuff that it would take too long to list. I just really like this game.

Now if you're into survival horror and have a gamecube I'd recommend Resident Evil REmake. Sure it has tank controls and a fixed camera (the fixed camera does give you some excellent in game shots though) but if you're like me and can find enjoyment out of controls like that then this very well done remake may be fun for you.

RE4 for any system is also a good choice. Its one of the most beloved games of all time so you can't go wrong there.

Here's some game names I'm going to throw out there and you can look them up for yourself if you don't recognize any of them.

X-Com,
Persona 3, Persona 4,
(if you like fighting games) Persona 4 Arena, Blazblue, Street Fighter 3rd Strike or 4.
Every Metal Gear game ever made,
The Last of Us (one of the best new games I've played in a long while),
Both Metro games, Yoshi's Island (if you have an SNES) Metriod Fusion, Super Metriod, Megaman X, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Deadly Premonition,
Telltale's Walking Dead video game (the good one with great writing that's a point and click adventure and won game of the year, not the fps one that's bad.)
And if you're looking for a rather unique experience, check out anything made by Suda 51.

I'm sure there's more I could recommend you, but this has gone on long enough. If you want any other recommendations if you like these then just ask.
I tried to make this list as varied as possible
Bark

Postby Zelosse » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Blood Lord wrote:I feel Bell's pain. It's been a few months since I've completed Mass Effect 3, and now no video game holds any interest.

Which would be a good thing if I wasn't chained to this computer all the time doing homework.

Have you played "The last of us" ?

If they BOTH did it about it, Has to be good. My friends won't shut up about it at work.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:51 pm

I've heard of X-Com through Jon Bailey actually. I'm subscribed to him on YouTube and he has done excellent work. I have no problem with Remake's game play since I played Resident Evil 2 when I was in Elementary School. At the time though it was really hard to just play it since I was scared of it. That's what RE should have been for RE5 and RE6. Why did Capcom even try to appeal to Call of Duty players? And WOW, I didn't realize Suda 51 made a bunch of games.

So what else have you got?
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 am

@Zelosse:

As someone whose played "The Last of US" I can understand why people are all a buzz about it. Its a really good game and some of the most fun I had this generation and it has a great story and characters who I care about and hate when the game wants me to.

@Bell:

If you're a fan of 2D sidescrollers you may want to look up both "Odin's Sphere" and "Muramasa: The Demon Blade" they're made by the same people and I found a lot of enjoyment from them and they both sport a simply gorgeous art style.

Also if you like beat em' ups and 80s humor you could always check out "Double Dragon: Neon" which has become kind of a fan favorite.

And if you like JRPGs with dark subject matter look up the Shin Magami Tenshi games, there are dozens of them and they range from action, turn based, first person, dungeon crawling, and in the case of the very popular Persona 3 and 4, a social sim mixed with a dungeon crawler.
I should warn you that most Shin Magami Tenshi games are ball bustingly hard, challenging and very unforgivable. Persona 3 and 4 do have easy modes though.

And if you have the time to devote yourself to an overabundance of content, the Disgaea series which is a strategy JRPG set in the Netherworld are pretty good. Also, they are very funny with it sometimes cynical and mean humor.

If stealth and 2D art are you thing "Mark of the Ninja" is a good one.

Trials Evolution is also pretty fun and a really good challenge. And I do mean challenge.

If you're disappointed that we haven't had a decent survival horror game check out "Lone Survivor" which is something that made me happy to see that one of my favorite genres of gaming isn't down for the count yet. Seriously we haven't had a good Silent Hill in years, but some guy can make the only good survival horror of last year on his lonesome. (In my opinion that is)

Now one game I want to leave you with is one called "Journey"
It has one of the best experiences of emotion and wonder I've felt since I first played both "Shadow of the Colossus" and "Ico" both these games also come recommended by me as well.
Journey is about a, well Journey and along the way you may come across other players who can only communicate with by using an in game call and with what ever way you can come up with.
Journey is hard to describe to someone who hasn't played it, but it has great atmosphere and setting and the "feel" of the game is so good that I did want to explore it.
Bark

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm sorry but I absolutely have no patience for RPGs with the exception of Adventure Quest although I don't fucking know why. It's probably not as large as other RPGs.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby top gear tony » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 pm

You're limiting yourself. I'm not one for the "retro is cool circlejerk train", but there are plenty of good games for all systems (except 3DO, I mean, Jesus-fucking-Christ.).

There are a tons of under the radar game that aren't shooters build to pander to a cavalcade of drooling window lickers. You just have to be willing to look. The sad thing is, some aren't even under the radar, they are just overshadowed by your typical: "Modern Operation Eastern European Country Fuck up De La Journée." (and it's yearly installments).

In the end though, no matter you look at it, most every game is about fulfilling some sort of power fantasy and it's mostly though conflict resolution. So, yeah, buckle in a be ready for a very bullet friendly next-gen experienced down the barrel of a very detailed(dirty) gun.

I have no idea how commas work

Yog: Praise the sun that is Top Gear Tony, a friend to all.
Do I have style points yet

Postby Wulfespinndel » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:00 pm

You're limiting yourself. I'm not one for the "retro is cool circlejerk train", but there are plenty of good games for all systems (except 3DO, I mean, Jesus-fucking-Christ.).

I appreciate your concern regarding my limitations but you're leaving me hanging out here without any recommendations. Not that I'm too lazy to look, but I feel like I won't be having a lot of time in my hands real soon for video games due to life getting in the way, so I only have a moment in time to relax until July starts.

And guys, I probably forgot to say this but I am not a PC gamer. I am not in a position where I am able to run any games that are on the PC due to my PC specifications and the costs of buying any parts needed to run these games, so I'm confined to Console games. Just pointing that out.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:27 am

Theres the orange box which has five valve games for about $20. Half-Life 2 is my favorite game in there.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
PRAISE THE SUN BITCH

Postby top gear tony » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Just don't get the Xbox or PS3 version unless you want vanilla Team Fortress..... and a bad connection.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:04 pm

True that. My laptop is decent enough to run Portal actually.

I just need a new laptop battery though.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Exodis » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:21 am

Yeah, I was thinkin' of gettin' the Orange Box for PS3 but I heard that online play is a bit sucky, I'll get it when I get my laptop.

The Universal Swordsman

Postby Remni » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:34 am

I'm currently running through the trio of Fatal Frame games on the PS2 because I absolutely love those games. Also still wondering when I'm going to return to Xenoblade Chronicles and finish it off. I'm not even halfway through that game.

And now that I think about it, I need to go back to playing both Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle 64.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby top gear tony » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:01 pm

I guess I can throw this out there. If you still have a PS2 and want an amazingly good JRPG, get Dragon Quest Journey of the Cursed King. The one before Nintendo came and messed everything up.

Postby Warbear » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:44 pm

Mathias wrote:So once PS3 becomes old, then the games will be good?

What games?
I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...
Soulchild: u thnk evry thng stupid.
DaCrum: Warbear, why did you suddenly become pretty cool? Stop it.
BR:love is just a boner everyone is looking to fart on warbear
Wild Card

Postby Hiryu » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:20 pm

Oh, so in one moment Last of Us and Journey are the best things ever made while in the next the PS3 has no games.I DON'T EVEN CARE IF YOU'RE JOKING!
top gear tony 666 wrote:I guess I can throw this out there. If you still have a PS2 and want an amazingly good JRPG, get Dragon Quest Journey of the Cursed King. The one before Nintendo came and messed everything up.
I have to agree, this is one of the greatest rpgs I've played. It was rather challenging.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Next

Return to Snafu Gaming