Grim Tales Voice Over

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Grim Tales Voice Over

Postby MaskedOtaku » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:40 am

I voiced Minnie and my friend voiced Grim Jr. for the first page of Grim Tales. Can someone tell me what you all think of it?
http://maskedotakuslair.tumblr.com/post/53544099534/comic-grim-tales-minimandy-was-me-grim-jr

I might be starting a voice over project for it.

If the sound does not work then go to the soundcloud.
https://soundcloud.com/maskedotaku/grim-tales-page-1
Last edited by MaskedOtaku on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
A girl with a voice and a tablet.
Tumblr
Homestuck, Orange Juice, and Nightcore for the win.
Witch Of Heart

Re: Grim Tales Voice Over

Postby Sigment » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:53 am

I can't get it to play. Do I download it or something? Could you post it on YouTube instead?
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Mir@k » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 am

Or soundcloud at least.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MaskedOtaku » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:23 am

Sigment Kurosai wrote:I can't get it to play. Do I download it or something? Could you post it on YouTube instead?

Mir@k wrote:Or soundcloud at least.

https://soundcloud.com/maskedotaku/grim-tales-page-1
Last edited by BeeAre on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not double-post, especially to simply post a link twice.
Tumblr
Witch Of Heart

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:30 am

I always imagined Minnie with a more...scary/scruffy, I can't think of the word for it, but your voice seems a bit too innocent imo. Other than that it just sounds like a lack of experience. All together tho I enjoyed it. :D
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigment » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:03 pm

You know, I'm not really a voice actor in the sense that I've ever done a project... but If you guys ever did a PpGD project, I'd be willing to help. In particular, I think I could do Brick and Butch when they appeared earlier in the comic. If I can record it, I may show you.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Biostar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Hm, that actually wasn't that bad. You might need to back off from the mike though. There were some cracks during your part. Not completely sure about the "ethereal" aspect you seemed to have put in Minnie's voice, unless you actually sound like that. Need to see more to gauge both of your's voice range especially your friend's since he only had like 10 words and one tone.
Last edited by Biostar on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Sigment » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:16 pm

As promised, here's a rough (computer microphone) recording of Butch and Brick's lines in the PpGD page "RowdyRuff Boys".
https://soundcloud.com/sigment-kurosai/brick-and-butch-ppgd-rowdyruff
Just posting this to say that I would be interested in participating in a voice dubbing project.

EDIT: Here's to page, for reference.
http://ppg.snafu-comics.com/index.php?comic_id=52

The Resident Smartass

Postby Wulfespinndel » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:45 pm

The fuck you sound a little like Ichigo :O
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Sigment » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:49 pm

It's the mic. Dunno why, but it makes my voice sound higher. Drop it a couple of octaves (at least), and that's me.

EDIT: Besides, aren't they supposed to sound young? As far as my Butch sounding like Ichigo, I figured that he would sound kinda like that, with his "hot-blooded" personality.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:56 pm

I don't think there's a enough change in the 2 voices, course I'm nearly deaf in 1 ear.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigment » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Like I said, I'm no pro. I think I did better with Butch though.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Guardian » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:07 pm

imho, i didn't think it was too bad. I didn't really like Jr's voice in the beginning.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Lorna » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 pm

As for the Grim Tales one, Junior's voice didn't really fit him. Minnie's voice sounded fine, but maybe the tone was a bit too rehearsed. But then again, the way she's talking does look like she'd speak that way. So maybe it's fine.

The RRB page was okay as well, except their voices.. Well, like someone else above said, there wasn't enough difference in between them.

Postby Sigment » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:05 pm

Sigment Kurosai wrote:Like I said, I'm no pro. I think I did better with Butch though.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:47 pm

Remember this is all opinionated, people, don't feel hurt if someone gives some criticism bluntly. Not specifying anyone, just saying to future posters, to remember when you ask for opinions, you have to be able to take them; and to critics there are no 'official' voices for these characters(the RRB are aged, so I'm taking puberty into account), remember that someone else may be imagining a different voice than you are.

Sorry if I'm sounding preachy, but I just got back from babysitting identical twins. They're fun until they start trying to pull the 'wrong twin' joke for over an hour and failing. :frown:
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigment » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:24 pm

If I post another one, I'll probably just do Butch.

The Resident Smartass

Postby MaskedOtaku » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:10 am

Tenshi Nova wrote:I always imagined Minnie with a more...scary/scruffy, I can't think of the word for it, but your voice seems a bit too innocent imo. Other than that it just sounds like a lack of experience. All together tho I enjoyed it. :D

I see...Hmm. Thanks for the criticism!

Lorna wrote:As for the Grim Tales one, Junior's voice didn't really fit him. Minnie's voice sounded fine, but maybe the tone was a bit too rehearsed. But then again, the way she's talking does look like she'd speak that way. So maybe it's fine.

The RRB page was okay as well, except their voices.. Well, like someone else above said, there wasn't enough difference in between them.

Thank you for the criticism! Also, what do you imagine Grim Jr. Sounding like, I mean he is only a boy.
Also on Minnie as well. I imagine her speaking very articulately.

Tenshi Nova wrote:Remember this is all opinionated, people, don't feel hurt if someone gives some criticism bluntly. Not specifying anyone, just saying to future posters, to remember when you ask for opinions, you have to be able to take them; and to critics there are no 'official' voices for these characters(the RRB are aged, so I'm taking puberty into account), remember that someone else may be imagining a different voice than you are.

Sorry if I'm sounding preachy, but I just got back from babysitting identical twins. They're fun until they start trying to pull the 'wrong twin' joke for over an hour and failing. :frown:

I understand where you are coming from, do not worry! I asked for blunt criticism. That is why I made this post to ask for people's opinions.
Last edited by BeeAre on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Excuse me: Please read the rules more thoroughly. You are triple-posting and double-posting. This is not a chatroom, where you respond to things individually. You can learn how to quote multiple people in one post. Please do so, so you stop breaking the r
Tumblr
Witch Of Heart

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:23 am

Rather than doing these pages in order, try to find one with more lines to different people and something that requires a bit more emotion. Doing the 1st page of the comic wasn't a bad idea, but as Biostar mentioned, more lines and something to show off your range. Also like Sigment, you can try doing multiple voices, having dialogue practiced/performed by yourself helps.

I'm not a voice acting teacher, but opinions can't hurt.

Edit: What I meant was to practice/perform for yourself and others. Uploading it and posting can be done in which ever order you choose, conveniently the chronological way, unless you'd also want to hear feedback from us on other.
Last edited by Tenshi Nova on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MERASMUS! » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:07 am

But starting at the first chapter wouldn't hurt.
Undisputed best cosplayer of snafu

Postby Guardian » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:31 pm

I think the difficult part is going to be pulling the voices for characters that we already know what they sound like. Like Mandy and Grim for example, or Him and Raven.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:54 pm

I think some of the characters, like Mandy, can have some leeway, given that they've aged. I remember Him in PPG had some echo/creepy/lyrical voice, I think it'd be interesting hearing his dialogue if they choose to keep that sound, otherwise I sometimes imagine a deep voice without all the effects.

I'd like to point a fun, slightly complicated option. A few friends and I had fun with this a while back, you can always use a voice synthesizer to copy some of the voices. You can get many of the sounds from the shows or even add in your own attempts, we took turns with the sounds; creating and listening to the program's attempts to flow our voices together was hilarious. Course if you guys want to stick to the voice only way, by all means enjoy your practice.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BeeAre » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:38 pm

To the OP: Please read the rules more thoroughly. Do not post multiple times in a row. Use the BBCode command Quote.

Use it like this.

Code: Select all

[quote="Person Being Quoted"]Quoted Text[/quote]

Your Response
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Etherian » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:09 pm

:D *Does a jig in a rather unbecoming manner*
I have always wanted to do a voice-over of Grim Tales because of all interesting voices the characters could have. At times I had thought about uploading some recordings, but thought it not worth it since I could not do many of the voices and was not aware there were others of equal interest. (Nor did I have a worthwhile mic for that matter) However, I made up a voice for Him that I would humbly describe as excellent. If yall are interested in starting a project, I would love to contribute.

MaskedOtaku, your voices fit my ideas of the characters surprisingly well. That said, I always imagined Minnie's doll form as having a more breathy, frail voice. Her flesh-and-blood self would, in turn, have a more full bodied one. Also, I know from experience that this is hard, but I think your friend should speak with a higher pitch than he is currently to better match Junior's age.

The main piece of advice I would give is to be more dynamic. I have never voice acted, but I have had some stage acting experience and the most common mistake newcomers make is to not exaggerate enough. This is especially important for Minnie, who tends to talk in long-winded monologues. Try to make every sentence have meaning of its own.

Sigment Kurosai, I liked your rendition; it made me think of Riku from Kingdom Hearts. The critique I have is the same as others': the two characters sound the same. I know that I find doing two characters back-to-back to be really difficult. I am not sure how you recorded this, but maybe in the future you could spend one day focusing on one character, then the next on the other.
Last edited by Etherian on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Sigment » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:06 am

Etherian wrote:Sigment Kurosai, I liked your rendition; it made me think of Riku from Kingdom Hearts. The critique I have is the same as others': the two characters sound the same. I know that I find doing two characters back-to-back to be really difficult. I am not sure how you recorded this, but maybe in the future you could spend one day focusing on one character, then the next on the other.

I literally just used the sound recorder and spoke the lines one after the other. And you're right, doing them separately would have been better. I'm thinking of recording Dexter's lines from this page next...
http://ppg.snafu-comics.com/index.php?comic_id=88
Should be interesting, once I get the headset I ordered. Should sound a little better that way.

The Resident Smartass

Next

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)