Snafu Art Contest: 2013 - Summer Activities. CLOSED!!!

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Snafu Art Contest: 2013 - Summer Activities. CLOSED!!!

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:05 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, newcomers and veterans of Snafu, welcome to the first semi-annual Snafu Art Contest, taking place in the summer of 2013! All kinds of artists, both professional and hobbyists come together in order to create a drawing related to the contests theme for an opportunity to win fame*, fortune**, and a fabulous prize: A commision by bleedman!

Everyone has a chance to win!

Keeping in line with our first summer contest, our first theme shall be, fittingly:

“Summertime Activities.”

So with that in mind, go out there and draw anything you feel is under that theme, be it you hanging out at the beach, having a barbeque, or having a stroll in the great outdoors. You can draw yourself and your friends, or fan art based on your favorite Snafu comics, or perhaps your own characters. Whichever you feel like.

Voting will be done by fellow members of Snafu, making this a community activity. Along with everyone else, there will be three anonymous judges who will critique your work and vote alongside you, and who will, ultimately, decide which piece of art stands out from the rest, with your votes as backing. The winner of the contest will then receive a free commission from Bleedman, the artist behind Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi, Grim Tales, Sugar Bits and more. So do your best to impress!

Organization

There are specific areas we want to inform you about and how things are organized.

The Voting thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54947
The voting thread is a Local Announcement thread, in the Art Section. You will vote here. Names and submissions are gathered together and posted. The submissions are linked with the names.

Your Art thread
Within the Art Section you can create your own thread and name it in a way that identifies it as yours. This is your portfolio were you can post your art. Post your entry here as a "ticket" to participate, AND post a link to your entry in the main contest thread.

Duration
The entire contest itself will take place for one month as soon as it opens: We are planning on opening in the beginning of July. THE CONTEST IS A GO!
OPENED: JULY 2ND - AUGUST 6TH
VOTING: AUGUST 6TH - AUGUST 13TH

* = Fame restricted regionally only to the area within the forum's frontiers.
** = Fortune described here as a "feeling of being fortunate", for participating.

Special Thanks goes out to Hiroko for the idea, and to Mir@k for the design of the announcement.
Feel free to ask questions too, btw.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Re: Snafu Art Contest: 2013 - Summer Activities.

Postby MQuinny1234 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:41 pm

Surely there should be some kind of opening for those who are new in art?
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Mir@k » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:55 pm

If by opening you mean they've got a chance, yes.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:02 pm

The contest is open to anyone and everyone, regardless of skill level.
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Millo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:10 pm

What if you don't have an art profolio to show? can you still join?
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:19 pm

The reason we have a "portfolio" is to know that you are submitting your art and not the art work of someone else. So if you have a DA, photobucket, whatever, that is fine. It's just we need a way to know that what you are submitting is your own. We need that. So I would counsel that if you don't have one to get one. Its easy to set an account up on DA, for example.

I don't want to flat out and say no, but it is a requirement that is needed. If you have difficulty presenting one, or concerns with it then just PM me and we can work something out.

I also want to further point out that any art median is good for the contest. So you can draw, paint, even take pictures.
Semper Vigilans

Postby MQuinny1234 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:31 pm

That's what I meant, what if you just want to throw in a picture and don't have a portfolio.

I mean, you'll obviously know because the picture will probably suck but still.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:50 pm

This seems like fun, its been a long time since I last entered a contest.
Bark

Postby Saint Soul » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:09 pm

This seems fun to watch.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:46 pm

MQuinny1234 wrote:That's what I meant, what if you just want to throw in a picture and don't have a portfolio.

I mean, you'll obviously know because the picture will probably suck but still.

I see what you mean. You don't need an existing portfolio to enter, but we need to know where the image is coming from. For example, you want to join this. You go out and you open say a DA account. That account is where you upload your pictures to from your computer and to the site. So you can have a DA, we know its yours, and you post a link to that, and then upload your picture.

Does that help clear things up a little bit?
Semper Vigilans

Postby Hiroko » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:23 pm

For those without already existing portfolios who wish to enter, I think a way around the rule would be to periodically post photos of your work in progress, on whichever site you choose to upload your art. That way you can prove that it really was you who worked on the art, rather than you just starting a new account and uploading someone else's art there.
The Sentimental One

Postby NeoVersion7 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:50 pm

This sounds interesting. Hmmm... :)
NeoWarrior7 wrote:Ah, I knew I made my clone too nice.

My Gallery: http://neoversion7.deviantart.com
Nonsensei

Postby MQuinny1234 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:18 pm

Blood's suggestion seems to be the best.
Image=
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:13 am

May I enter?

Postby Mir@k » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:22 am

Of course.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Saint Soul » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:21 am

Now all you need to do is register this as a contest on dA. Also hashtag it if necessary.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Hiroko » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:05 am

We'd certainly appreciate it if people helped spread word of this contest. The more advertising we get, the better.
The Sentimental One

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:31 am

I'm sure if the bleed fanbase gets whiff of this they sure will coming at it

Postby YesterdaysLingo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Seems Legit. I think I'll give this a shot.
Flerp flerps

Location: That one place where those people live. You know the one.

Postby Lady Haru » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:15 am

i think i may enter this
sweet enough, i just started using a tablet so this could be quite a bit of fun
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World // Tumblr // Facebook // Steam // Dreadful Comics
Well if I had quotes from others, I would put them here, but I am just another bug in the garden of Snafu.
Is Not Currently Available

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:32 pm

TheOctoberScarf wrote:I'm sure if the bleed fanbase gets whiff of this they sure will coming at it

I've announced it on a couple of Bleedman Fan pages on DA, but I'm going to let Bleedman do his own announcement of it.

Which should have been up by now...
Semper Vigilans

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:23 am

can copyrighted characters count?

Postby Mir@k » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:25 am

The best thing would be to use characters that appear in bleedman's comics if it has to be copyrighted characters, but in the end it is all up to you. :)
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby TheOctoberScarf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:28 am

I was thinking like a character form his comic with a copyrighted one

Postby Mir@k » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:36 am

That would be fine.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Next

Return to Art