Television and Movies

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Television and Movies

Postby Mathias » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:22 pm

The zombie genre is dying. It might resurrect at some point in the future, but it needs more time. Much like the break between Romero's Day of the Dead in the early '80s and the resurgence of the genre in the turn of the century.

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:02 pm

I never been too fond about zombies. Except for Left 4 Dead.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
PRAISE THE SUN BITCH

Postby noxux » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:18 pm

I think a good movie is going to be The lone ranger, the new one with Johnny Depp.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:56 pm

Hmm, yes. That looks like a enjoyable movie.

Star Trek Into Darkness is really good, btw.

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:26 pm

After I watched star trek into darkness, I started to watch other star trek movies, like wrath of kahn and first contact.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
PRAISE THE SUN BITCH

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:40 pm

I've been told that you should watch the Wraith of Khan before Into Darkness. It makes the movie more enjoyable as you see the similarities and relationships between the movies. I did not do this.

Postby Tuor » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:53 pm

The khan in the new movie is nothing like the original khan, so much so that cumberbatch should have just been an original villain
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:08 pm

TheMadDoctor wrote:After I watched star trek into darkness, I started to watch other star trek movies, like wrath of kahn and first contact.

I've pretty much been told 2, 4, 6 and First Contact, maybe Generations and 3.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Exodis » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:53 pm

Breaking Bad. That show's really awesome.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Deemed as the best, Outlawed as the worst.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Universal Swordsman

Postby EagleMan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:52 pm

World War Z was good overall (not great) but I felt like it just petered out at the end and the resolution was bad. It didn't seem like it was even the same director at the end.

Postby Mathias » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:35 am

The ending was written by a different writer. The production had been marred by rewrites throughout.

Postby Saint Soul » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:10 pm

I look forward to no movie this summer. Why? Most are revisions or continuations.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Sigment » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:14 pm

What about Epic? (technically not a Summer movie, but still) I liked it.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 pm

Ehh. I dunno man.

This is a good year for movies though, imho. As of right now, the top movies for me are going to be Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, Star Trek Into Darkness, and then the Hobbit part 2 later this year. Oh, and Thor 2 looks good as well.

Postby Sigment » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:36 pm

I know Iron Man 3 is technically an action film, but that movie was fuckin' funny as hell.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Tuor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:38 pm

Who was saying it wasn't an action film?
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Sigment » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Not saying it wasn't an action. What I am saying is that I was laughing my ass off for half the movie... in a good way.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Tuor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 pm

Most action movies have some comedic elements, and RDJ is hilarious, haha
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby EagleMan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:33 am

Yeah, it's almost a requirement now. I watched the original Bourne trilogy recently and was kind of bored. They got very good reviews but the movies are pure action genre, with even the dialogue scenes (annoyingly) having the camera shake constantly.

Postby Mathias » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:12 am

The Bourne Supremacy is directly responsible for me wearing glasses today.

Postby EagleMan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Story time?

I watched Super, which is on Netflix, at least in America. An excellent film. It's basically what happens if a normal guy decides to try to be a superhero. And this is actual normal, not film normal. It's also a pretty violent film. It was hilarious to me, though for others the humor might not be that strong.

Postby EagleMan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:37 am

I've been watching Orange is the New Black on Netflix (a new exclusive for Netflix) and it's been pretty good. It's about a woman in a prison. Only a few episodes in but it's gotten critical acclaim across the board, so it apparently never delves into cliche as it hasn't so far in my viewing (e.g. a guy might think a woman's prison will be full of hot, lesbian sex). It seems to care a lot about all its characters, and seeing how prison works in more intimate detail is pretty interesting.

That it has so many compelling female roles that don't just revolve around another guy or their sexuality probably merits watching it for that fact alone.

Postby Remni » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:44 am

So I saw Pacific Rim on Saturday. Completely worth it and I wish more people would go see it. It did feel a bit cliched here and there with some parts, but holy shit the actual fight scenes were great. I expected the monsters to look great and everything with Del Toro directing, but those fights surprised me, I didnt think he could pull that off.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:07 pm

I should have seen it, but didn't. I went to Man of Steel, and to be quite honest, I'm on the fence about it.

It was the best Superman movie that I've seen, but the constant use of flashbacks just annoyed me. I'm not sure what else is putting me off about it though.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:32 am

I went to go see Pacific Rim and for the first time in a while I had fun in a movie. I was not bored throughout the whole thing. I even liked Charlie from Sunny in Philadelphia (I don't know his real name) as that goof ball scientist. I think he was even my favorite character. There wasn't one character I didn't like in the whole movie. Even the asshole guy become a lot less of an asshole at some point.

The movie was just what it needed to be and I was thankful for that. Del Toro is one of my favorite directors and he has never made a single bad movie in my eyes.

I grew up watching these kind of movies. I've seen maybe every Godzilla movie and I've seen my share of Anime. I'm actually happy this movie was made and it had a director who knew what the fuck he was doing and a budget it needed.

Some people might say that some things in it was silly, but this is the Kaiju and the giant robot genre. Its fun stuff like this is why we watched it.

If I were to sum up the overarching plot of Godzilla vs Biollante, Godzilla vs King Ghidora, and Godzilla vs Space Godzilla (and yes those movies do tie into each other) everything else might seem normal to you.

The people might not like it are people who don't like giant robots and monsters and if they don't like that why would they go see it anyways... unless they just like to bitch about movies they don't like.

But I was finally having fun in the movie theater again and I'm glad I saw this movie
Bark

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion