Television and Movies

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Television and Movies

Postby noxux » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:06 pm

I´m waiting for MU, looks pretty good and Pacific Rim , looks like Transformers but with more fights and less chats and at last Oz the great and powerful.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby EagleMan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:05 am

Oz hasn't come out in Costa Rica yet, or you're just waiting to see it on DVD or something?

Postby The Mad Doctor » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 am

Despicable Me 2 looks hilarious.
Not Space Jesus

Postby Sigmas » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Lipstick Taser~!
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Remni » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:05 pm

Pacific Rim, Despicable Me 2, Monsters Univ are the ones I'm currently looking forward to. I watched Man of Steel the other night and I actually enjoyed it myself for what it was. Couple awkward spots in it, but overall I liked it.

As for movies later in the year, I'm looking towards Hobbit:DoS, Catching Fire, Kickass 2, Riddick, 300:RoE and Thor:Dark World
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby EagleMan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:13 am

Watched The Revenant. It was alright but it has a sort of "cult classic" feel to it, low budget and interesting premise. Felt like it never really went anywhere thematically though. Not a bad movie though, not a great one, but you probably wouldn't hate watching it.

Saw Killer Joe. Pretty good movie. Would probably be pretty disturbing to most of you though so I wouldn't recommend it. You might walk away wondering why you just subjected yourself to that.

Postby Mathias » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:39 pm

EagleMan wrote:This Is the End: Absolutely hilarious. One of the best comedies in many years.

Basically this. As for World War Z, I was hyped for it all the way back when Pitt and DiCaprio were vying for the rights, but the trailers look so disappointing. Hollywood seems to think that zombie movies need to be "actioned-up" by making the ghouls fast and more immediately threatening or the movie wouldn't be entertaining. They also altered the narrator's premise from the novel. It's like they only bought the rights to the title so that they could slap it onto whatever movie they felt like making. Now I feel like those die-hard comic nerds who hate adaptations whom I dislike so much.

Postby Sigmas » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Kinda felt the same way when I saw the trailer for Resident Evil: Extinction. At that moment, I thought to myself, "Well, it can only go downhill from here..."

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby EagleMan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:46 pm

WWZ is getting good reviews, but it isn't faithful to the books. Some reviews have actually noted it's a bit boring - so it might just be all the action bits are in the trailer and the movie itself isn't "actioned-up".

Postby Sigmas » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:53 pm

When dealing with an adaptation, critics should (imho) take into account how closely the movie follows the events of the original plot when rating it. It's idiotic if critics see it, say it's good just because they personally enjoyed it, which makes fans of the original go see it, and they hate it because it in no way follows the plot of what it supposedly lends credence to.

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mathias » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:58 pm

I did note from the trailers that there are scenes where he interviews people, which is the bread and butter of the book, which would obviously be boring to people who don't love or haven't read the novel.
Also, it took you until "Extinction" to realize that it is going downhill? That revelation came to me while watching "Apocalypse."
Sigment Kurosai wrote:When dealing with an adaptation, critics should (imho) take into account how closely the movie follows the events of the original plot when rating it.

Movie critics can't be expected to read every novel that is adapted into a movie just so that they can write a review on the movie. Since movies are intended to appeal to broader audiences outside of the book readers, the critics are judging it from that standpoint: is the movie entertaining as a stand-alone entity? Simply reading a plot summary of a novel wouldn't help much, either.

Postby Sigmas » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:14 pm

Apocalypse at least resembled the events of the game. Extinction threw the entire game plot out the window so that Anderson could make his wife look more badass.

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mathias » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Mortal Kombat is still the best game adaptation he ever made. Also, he's married to Milla?

Postby Sigmas » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Yeah, they have a kid together, too.

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mathias » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:24 pm

It all makes sense now. At any rate, I'm not really looking forward to any other movies this summer and I don't watch television. I only wish that Netflix had a better tag search.

Postby EagleMan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Reviews of adaptions should focus solely on its worth as a movie. Having a review be good or bad for how well it adapts it is no good. You can mention it if you like but it shouldn't affect your rating of the movie itself.

Postby EagleMan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:18 pm

I saw the Hannibal TV show. All in all a pretty good show.

Postby Mathias » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Should I go and see World War Z, anyway?

Postby EagleMan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:36 pm

I have seen some reviews call it smart, or even high IQ. The problem some people seem to be having is a.) unfaithfulness to the source and b.) actually being a bit of a slow, even "boring" movie (which it's fair to expect it might've been more actiony given the trailers and being a summer blockbuster).

Postby Tuor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:39 pm

EagleMan wrote:I saw the Hannibal TV show. All in all a pretty good show.

Ya, I've been enjoying it quite a bit, I just feel like hannibal's wardrobe is a bit weird though. I always imagined it full of really classic suits and stuff, not all the patterned ones he wears in the show
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Glacial Expanse » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Randori wrote:How thoughtful of you.

Well, I'm pretty excited for Pacific Rim. It's like an episode of Power Rangers but more of a real-life Megazords vs. Monsters fight. Gonna be awesome!

HELL YEAH
This too shall pass.

Postby Mathias » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:35 pm

EagleMan wrote:I have seen some reviews call it smart, or even high IQ. The problem some people seem to be having is a.) unfaithfulness to the source and b.) actually being a bit of a slow, even "boring" movie (which it's fair to expect it might've been more actiony given the trailers and being a summer blockbuster).

It wasn't so bad.

Postby Tuor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:36 pm

Booo, give a better review, haha
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mathias » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:01 pm

I'm not really good at reviewing things since I am rather indifferent to most things.

Postby Tuor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:10 pm

I figured you were passionate about zombies :c
Rest Easy Ethan

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion