My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

Mr. Sefrol wrote:Image

Staring at this gif while listening to SoGreatandPowerful music :]

@[PMV] The Dive Game:

This is a pretty cool PMV. I'm noticing a lot of PMVs lately are emulating Feedsy's [PMV]Dork's style of visual effects. He put up quite a benchmark.

:EDIT:

Hooooooly Shit!!

Have you guys seen this?

MLP Tower Defense--oh my! This is pretty sick.

"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby kinetik07 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Just saw the movie. I got there 12 minutes late, and I forgot your eyes had to adjust since it was so bright outside, so I bumped into this guy(I said sorry, but he/she was strangely silent) and almost sat on a seat that was already taken. As far as I could tell, there was only one person who was the intended demographic, everyone else was yelling when they saw the slightest reference. I was kinda disappointed/relieved the theater wasn't filled.

The high school musical-like song was pretty good. It seems like you want to cringe from the visuals, but the music makes it work. Human twilight trying to do pony stuff was the best part. On the other hand, the magical girl transformations near the end were kinda hard to watch. Honestly, adding ears and a tail doesn't make you look like a horse, only like a furry. The animation was great, I was seriously sad when they only showed the dancing animations for a split second, and some of the facial expressions were actually cute. It was enough to make me change my mind about dog-spike. He's alright.   

Postby Grieffon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Does the human counterpart of the mane 6 play a big role? How would you rate the movie?

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:52 pm

Some stuff

If I close my eyes I can almost hear this in Flutters own voice. Given how she acts in the comics, I'm no longer 100% sure she wouldn't sing this

"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:14 pm

YAY, TOM LEHRER.

Wait, that verse near the end was different...Eh, probably did different versions.

Anyway, my favourite maths pony video is the New Math one.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby kinetik07 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Grieffon wrote:Does the human counterpart of the mane 6 play a big role? How would you rate the movie?

They definitely played a bigger role than their pony counterparts(that lasts around 10 minutes and I missed it...). Each one has their moments(as expected, AJ is kinda background-y), but it's just a bit more centered around twilight.

The music, animation, humor and the references to earlier episodes were great. I didn't once feel like the movie was a toy ad, so that's a plus. If it weren't for the cringe inducing bits near the end, I'd give it a 10/10. Ultimately, it's a show for little girls I guess. 8/10

Also, the villain pulls a Trixie while Trixie just eats some crackers, wtf was that??   

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:48 pm

Did you see anyone in the movie that looked like David Tennant or Matt Smith even? Long shot probably, but I want to know if the human version of Doctor whooves was in it at all.
Never anger a magician

Postby Guardian » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:31 pm

I would guess no...

Anyways, the fanfics have some amazing pictures to go along with them. Thought I'd share a few that I found before that I liked. They've probably grazed this thread before, but I didn't see them in my search.

“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:25 am

Those are from John Joseco and ponykillerx, both are among the most famous pony artists.

Which fic was the first one from? Luna taking care of Celestia sounds interesting.

Postby dj1107 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:39 am

So on a scale from 10-1 how was our new villain Sunset Shimmer?
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby Dibullba » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:59 am

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:51 am

I really appreciate how the person who makes those comics gave Dash the coolest intro out of all the characters. She's jumping around on buildings and doing all that parkour stuff.
I also found it interesting how he or she just drew Fluttershy as another girl. Usually when ever someone makes a human Fluttershy, its always the most prettiest/cutest girl they can draw.
She still looked cute and all, just not as super cute as the others.
Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:12 am

I kinda think that fits her actually. It makes sense that Fluttershy makes herself unnoticeable with how shy she is. Her being super cute or beautiful counteracts her melding into a crowd like she would probably want to. The Fluttershy in the movie by a single glance looks like she'd try that in a school setting.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby punzil504 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:59 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:I kinda think that fits her actually. It makes sense that Fluttershy makes herself unnoticeable with how shy she is. Her being super cute or beautiful counteracts her melding into a crowd like she would probably want to. The Fluttershy in the movie by a single glance looks like she'd try that in a school setting.

I agree with that. Actually, it's interesting that on the artist's "Pinup" of humanized Fluttershy, he got a lot of complaints that the shirt FS was wearing was OOC because it (*gasp*) showed her navel.

And Rainbow Dash... I love that she's "vertically challenged" as a human in this comic. It sets her up for so much overcompensating. I noticed that it took the shadowbolt 8 jumps/bounces to reach the top, and RD pooped out after the 7th, just high enough for the shadowbolt to grab her arm.
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Guardian » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:08 am

Grieffon wrote:Those are from John Joseco and ponykillerx, both are among the most famous pony artists.

Which fic was the first one from? Luna taking care of Celestia sounds interesting.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/88218/enter-nurse-luna

Still in the process of reading it though.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby TheLivingCouch » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:33 pm

The Couch has also seen the movie. Unfortunately I missed the first half hour while I waited for a friend to arrive at the station in NYC, but so it goes. I still got to see the better part of the movie and what I saw I enjoyed. Analysis/spoilers to follow.

Now for as much of a break down as I can manage. First and foremost I'd like to get music and animation out of the way since that's nice and easy. Both were great. Animation is exactly what you would expect from one of the more involved episodes and the music is as top notch as ever. The songs I heard were very pop in their sound and may turn some people off but for what they were I enjoyed them, especially the big musical number in the lunchroom when Twi and company were all trying to bring the school around in voting for Twi for princess of the fall formal. Top notch stuff all around.

Next lets go into characters for a little bit. First as far as I saw no pony's humanized counterpart had a human name. Nothing major there really but I figured I'd bring it up. I suppose they did lose a good chance for more cultural dichotomy problems, but so it goes. All the characters were themselves no doubt about that and were portrayed very nicely. Of all things I think Rarity shined through the most, and in a very positive way which was a pleasant surprise. Fluttershy I think was the weakest of the bunch. She may have come into play earlier in the movie but in the latter half I saw she was either just squabbling with the rest (the whole gang was squabbling because of the actions of the main villain but I'll get to that next) or simply not doing much at all. Kind of disappointing really. Twilight was great as always so not much to say there.

Next we come to our main villain, Sunset Shimmer. Unfortunately I can't make too big a judgement because I didn't see the first third of the movie but I'll say what I can. Sunset Shimmer is a villain in the same vein as Chrysalis as far as I can tell. She's power hungry, and doesn't care who she has do use or destroy in order to get what she wants. She seemed relatively interesting and her final and inevitable redemption by the end of the movie was well done. That being said her demon transformation was awesome but severely underused. Also they way she was defeated was even more hackneyed than the spell at the end of the Royal Wedding. Shimmer had managed to steal the crown and corrupt it in order to achieve her transformation into a demon. Twi simply realizes that she has a greater connection to the crown than Shimmer does, steals the power back while not even wearing the thing and blasts Shimmer with the Rainbow of Light. Needless to say I was less than pleased, but there it is.

Now, last but not least, we get to Brad or should I say Flash Sentry. For the record I really like that name. Now his character is a bit bland out side of being the local nice guy jock. He does show hints of being more than that however, like when he digs up evidence that proves Twilight didn't actually wreck the decorations for the fall formal, but it isn't expounded upon and only results in a legitimate problem, Twilight being banned from running for princess, being resolved way more quickly than what I would have liked. I do have to admit that the pair did have some decent chemistry going on. Not enough to make me think that any canon shipping would be a good thing, but it was cute. Also, they really do need to stop bumping into each other. I swear they crash into each other a good 3-4 times in the movie. That being said it never really got old, and it was kind of cute. Twi is so damn adorkable damn it. :mrgreen: Anyway the interesting thing to look out for in season of is more of this character. He does have a pony counterpart who happens to be a starting royal guard. I'd rather it not go anywhere or at the very least be taken very very slowly. Also Friendship is Witchcraft is going to have a field day with this I'm sure. Ah well.

Now we get to the meat of things, the story itself. I can't vouch for the set up or Shimmer's initial plans but for the most part it flows well and believably. They got the big plot points right, Twilight getting her humanized friends back to being friends after Shimmer drove them apart, the whole gang getting together to help Twilight win the fall formal crown after a smear campaign by Shimmer, eventually telling her humanized friends the truth about herself, standing tall to fight Demon Shimmer. All that was good. Where the story falls is with all the played out high school cliches. You have the squabbling friends, the love interest, the bitchy popular girl in Shimmer, having to win a popularity contest to save the day, and the inevitable school dance, and the whole scene/song dedicated to getting ready for it. They play it well enough but I feel they could have done so much more to break convention here: missed opportunities left and right. Also a quick comment on the magical girl transformation scene, it was done well enough. I wasn't expecting it but I can't hold it against the movie. My Sailor Moon nostalgia would slap me if I did.

Over all I give it a 6.5-7/10 overall. It certainly wasn't the train wreck everyone was expecting but it wasn't anything amazing either. Still, I am satisfied. Now just to wait for season 4...   

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Still no leak, I'll probably have to go watch it at this rate...

There are 6 elements of harmony in Equestria. She has 10.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:38 pm

The Gary essence is strong with this one.
An Optimist

Postby punzil504 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:43 pm

It's certainly... something. Not sure what, exactly...

She's got a full set of the "Background Six" (Lyra, Bon Bon, Derpy, DJPON3, Octavia, Time Turner) and a Trixie, but she's only got 3 out of five Mane 6 (Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie)
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby MERASMUS! » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:48 pm

If she has the power to manipulate time with that time turner element. Then things can turn out worse than it already seems in the picture.
Never anger a magician

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:22 pm

She was too cool to tackle the gyms for the more sensitive of the Mane 6.
An Optimist

Postby Grivous » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Honk honk! :D

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:01 pm

Um...

This is one detailed Octavia o.o

EDIT: ANIMATICS ARE DONE!!!

An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:33 pm

I wonder if we'll ever get a Vinyl Scratch rendition like this :o
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:16 pm

Everyone look at this. If you don't love it, you're a despicable person and have no soul.
Last edited by Mr. Sefrol on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An Optimist

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)