Television and Movies

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Television and Movies

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:03 am

On one thing, In the Bleedthread, there was a lot of talk about it and its summer and theres a lot of movies coming out, so I decided to make a dedicated thread in the general discussion section.
Owner of the Bombinomicon

Re: Television and Movies

Postby Exodis » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:24 pm

How thoughtful of you.

Well, I'm pretty excited for Pacific Rim. It's like an episode of Power Rangers but more of a real-life Megazords vs. Monsters fight. Gonna be awesome!
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

I will persevere, I will resist to hear, I will interfere.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Universal Swordsman

Postby Vegedus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Apparently Man of Steel isn't all that good, so I'm holding out for Pacific Rim too. Namely, I'm hoping it's not just a cool action movie, but have some heart too. The "dual pilot" thing looks promising in that regard.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Sigment » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:38 pm

I saw Epic when it came out. It was great, had humor, action and drama. Good choice for kids and adults.
Randori wrote:Well, I'm pretty excited for Pacific Rim. It's like an episode of Power Rangers but more of a real-life Megazords vs. Monsters fight. Gonna be awesome!
You know, for the minute minute of the trailer, I thought they were making an Armored Core movie. I guess that this is the next best thing... for now.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:51 pm

I don't quite understand why some people don't seem to like superhero movies. Other than they think they are "overrated" or the main protagonist is overpowered.

Postby Mir@k » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:24 pm

I can see you're having an extremely difficult time trying to assimilate that people think the movie you just loved was not good. Now you're generalizing that dislike into "people hate all superhero movies", when it's just this superman movie that was not quite good.

Iron man, thor, batman, captain america, even the fucking hulk movie, all these movies were better than this one critically speakin. So no, people don't just generally dislike superhero movies, people just dislike shitty superhero movies.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Is it worse then the Green Lantern movie?

I heard that one was just terrible.

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Okay, man of steel is not meant for everyone in the world I get it. A lot of critics seem to hate it for some reason on rotten tomatoes. But just watch it for yourself to see how well it is.

Postby Mir@k » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:51 pm

TheMadDoctor wrote:Okay, man of steel is not meant for everyone in the world I get it. A lot of critics seem to hate it for some reason on rotten tomatoes. But just watch it for yourself to see how well it is.
Could you please stop side-stepping the point? I linked to rotten tomatoes just as an example of what i disliked about it said by people who could phrase it in a much better way that i ever could; I already watched the movie and it's as mediocre as people say it is, but you're simply dead set on thinking it was good and not allowing for any input that says otherwise no matter credentials, expertise, or anything at all really (as confirmed by your blatant indifference of Teran's essay directed towards you when you challenged his review), so since i don't even know why you're even still asking about why people disliked it then I'm done talking to you, you obnoxious blockhead.
Blood Lord wrote:Is it worse then the Green Lantern movie?
I heard that one was just terrible.
Nothing will ever be worse than the green lantern movie.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:58 pm

I thought batman and robin was worse.

Postby Mir@k » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:04 pm

I should clarify i never saw it then. I was 7 at the time it came out.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Exodis » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Batman and Robin was pretty horrible. Never seen Green Lantern to show the comparissons and, probably, never will.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.

The Universal Swordsman

Postby Mir@k » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Yeah, i can't think of someone who woudl subject himself to seeing it again unless they were getting paid for it.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Exodis » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:11 pm

I've had situations where the movie was unbearable. Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny is one of them. Saw it the first time a few years back and was like "It was okay funny". Saw it a few months ago and was "Oh god turn this shit off".

The Universal Swordsman

Postby Sigment » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:20 pm

I've seen both movies, and honestly, I can pretty much say Green Lantern did better in my mind. Although it's worth mentioning that I've always been more of a Marvel fan.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Batman and Robin was made in the 90s. I know that sounds sarcastic, but the way Hollywood treats comic book adaptations now is way better than it was in the 90s. Sure there's still the decisions that make comic book fans go "WHY?", but I doubt that you'd have seen the Avengers and the tie in films done so well in the 90s. It just speaks to how well DC/WB does in dropping the ball with their properties, they've managed to screw up Superman and Green Lantern, made a really divisive V and Watchmen and even kind of split the fan base over TDKR. That's not even talking about Man of Steel or how disorganized they are in trying to turn properties into movies.

On the original topic, I'm most looking forward to Pacific Rim, Kick Ass 2 and The World's End.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Exodis » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Those, and World War Z. I'm actually kinda excited for Monsters University. Been waitin' for another Monsters movie since it came out years ago.

The Universal Swordsman

Postby EagleMan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:43 pm

This Is the End: Absolutely hilarious. One of the best comedies in many years.

The Purge: Interesting premise with a captivating villain for what little screen time he has in this very short movie, but ultimately the film is generic and cliched with many lapses of common sense logic.

Man of Steel: Alright. There's lots of little things that go wrong, and there are tons of pacing issues, and Zod is underdeveloped despite Shannon's (the actor) passion. Ultimately it isn't a bad film, but it feels like a rough draft and if you clean it up then it would be perfect. The scenes with Zod's main commander, some girl, Faora I think, are the best in the film. There's also lots of product placement in the film.

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:12 pm

I honestly don't recall any product placement in the movie. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Product placement is when outside companies pay filmmakers to include their products in the film. For example, Clark Kent (Superman's alter-ego) is seen drinking Caspi Sun several times and shaving with Gillette razors (pictured).

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/entertai ... ment-video

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Thats quite suprising but at the same time I shouldn't be suprised at all. Product placement is one of the things I really don't care about and never really notice at all.

Postby EagleMan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:31 pm

TheMadDoctor wrote:I honestly don't recall any product placement in the movie. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Sears and IHOP are probably the two biggest ones. It hurt me to see a close up of Superman with the Sears logo taking up 70% of the background.

However if it doesn't even register for you, all the more power to you. I just think product placement is a particularly insidious form of advertising because it lasts forever. If I watch this film 30 years from now, Sears is still going to be there. It will be there to bother me forever.

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:38 pm

In that case that proves that I am completely oblivious to such things. Yay me.

What's someone's thoughts on that under the dome show comming up. Looks like they took a major plot device from the simpsons and turn it into a drama series.

Postby Tuor » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:46 pm

Good to hear "This is the End" was good, because it looked like it'd be hilarious, so now I will for sure try to see it. Also looking forward to "Kick Ass 2"
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Yoshi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:34 pm

I actually didn't mind the Green Lantern movie :redface: I mean, it wasn't brilliant but it was decent for what it was.

Man of Steel is getting the exact reviews I figured. I had a discussion with friends that you have to wonder that after so many damn Superman movies and all of them sucking (Even the originals sucked) is it the fault of the writers and directors or is Supes just not cut out for the big screen?

Monsters University though, super psyched for that.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion