General Chat Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby The Mad Doctor » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:27 am

Ah, pacific rim sounds awesome too. Add that to the lists of must watches.
F U Im evil

Postby Rival » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:49 pm

TheMadDoctor wrote:I'm very excited for the man of steel.

Rather than the movie itself, I'm more interested in how it'll do at the box office. I like DC more than Marvel. So since 'Murrica decided to go crazy about superhero movies for the next few years. I'd prefer more movies in the setting I like more. And whether Time Warner will do more, largely depends on how well Man of Steel will do. Green Lantern was a flop.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Exodis » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:54 pm

Well when people see Man of Steel, they'll have the similar feeling of the Nolan's Batman trilogy and since those movies did astonishing on the box office (especially The Dark Knight), Man of Steel will probably do the same.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Live the Lovable Life, Die the Dreadful Death.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Last Savior

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:26 pm

The Green Lantern movie was an over budgeted nightmare. They hired Ryan Reynolds to obscure 96% of him with CGI and that is not even getting into the actual issues of the movie as far as direction, writing or acting(I've only seen a few minutes of the movie). The problem for DC is that they are a two horse race; Superman and Batman are 2 of the 5 most recognized american comic characters, but after that recognition falls off pretty dramatically. I'd have a hard time arguing that Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, or The Flash are in the same league of relevance Iron Man, The Hulk or Captain America were prior to their movies. I'd almost argue that it would have been better if DC skipped the Green Lantern movie, went straight for Man of Steel and then parlayed that and the Nolan series into a Justice League movie and spun off the characters from there into their own solo movies.

Man of Steel isn't a guaranteed blockbuster, it'll probably do better than The Green Lantern. But Superman is a widely known character, but not exactly a widely loved one.
I AM THE GOSHDARN BATMAN
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:29 pm

I've heard various rumours of a Wonder Woman movie over the years, but I have no idea if that will ever actually happen.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:51 pm

They've been talking about trying to do something with Wondie for over a decade. The problem is that she's a hard character to make interesting, because if someone does the slightest bit controversial with her the cries of sexism can get overwhelming. DC and by extension WB has a hard time properly using their comics. They have a treasure trove of series between DC and Vertigo that they have never advanced out of some kind of preproduction nightmare.
I AM THE GOSHDARN BATMAN
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:52 am

Randori wrote:Well when people see Man of Steel, they'll have the similar feeling of the Nolan's Batman trilogy and since those movies did astonishing on the box office (especially The Dark Knight), Man of Steel will probably do the same.

Actually, TDKR did better than TDK box office wise. Nolan isn't really a guarantee the movie will be successful. Ledger's death really boosted the popularity of TDK and since he was great as Joker, people had that hype going into TDKR. Batman Begins is just as good a movie as TDK, in my opinion it's even better, and it did a poorer box office than Superman Returns, which proves quality is less important than hype and marketing (cause Superman Returns is pretty universally considered lackluster).

Also, Nolan's style fit Batman, but it might not fit Superman and other DC heroes. Plus lets not forget, it's Snyder who's directecting and he's had some duds.
Whatis6times9 wrote:I'd have a hard time arguing that Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, or The Flash are in the same league of relevance Iron Man, The Hulk or Captain America were prior to their movies.

Hulk was on a higher level of relevance I agree, mostly because the series with Lou Ferrigno was a hit.

But I'd argue that Flash and Wonder Woman used to be easily above Iron Man in relevance, Flash and Wonder Woman had their own live-action series' Wonder Woman's was even pretty successful from what I recall. Iron-Man was really obscure before Robert Downey, Jr. came along.

Captain America was always a hard sell in Europe, but I guess in the USA his relevance always must have been far higher. But above WW? I'm not so sure.

Also, obligatory since Hulk's relevance was mentioned:

Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:48 pm

From an American perspective, Captain America might be the most recognized characters in comics even by people who don't read comics. It's just that amongst comic readers he's not widely loved and Wondie kind of has the same issues. For the success and recognition of superhero movies I think some of it ties into 20 somethings who remember the mid 90s cartoon adaptations.

For the top 10 of recognized superheroes prior to the movies I'd list it like this: Superman, Batman, Spider Man, Captain America, Wolverine, Wonder Woman, Hulk, Iron Man, Flash and then Thor or Green Lantern are interchangeable for 10.
I AM THE GOSHDARN BATMAN
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Superman is on top. Try and figure out who elses debute comic issue can cost a fortune.
F U Im evil

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:14 pm

The first appearance of Batman also goes for over a million in great condition. Any major character who debuted prior to WW2 seems to go about $100,000.
I AM THE GOSHDARN BATMAN
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:25 am

Whatis6times9 wrote:For the top 10 of recognized superheroes prior to the movies I'd list it like this: Superman, Batman, Spider Man, Captain America, Wolverine, Wonder Woman, Hulk, Iron Man, Flash and then Thor or Green Lantern are interchangeable for 10.

Ah, I assumed it was: Superman, Batman, Spider Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Wonder Woman, Captain America, Flash, Iron Man and Thing.

But you live in the States, so your list is probably much closer to correct. Although recognition and relevance don't always go hand in hand. As you said, Supes and Cap, might be easily recognized, but they aren't really widely loved. Superman is easily the most recognizable Superhero globally, but Batman and Spider Man are the safest bets in terms of profits.

Postby Mir@k » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:34 am

I'd like to see a justice league movie made well because if Reynolds is still in it then nothx..
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby The Mad Doctor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:40 am

Green Lantern was advertised too much. I was walking in the subway during a trip to new york. There wasn't one spot without a green lantern poster. Even the stairs had ads for green lantern.
F U Im evil

Postby Mir@k » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:48 am

Rival wrote:
Doctor banner ♪
Pelted by gamma rays ♫
Turns into the Hulk ♪
Ain't he unglamurays? ♥
Video comment wrote:That's my secret captain...
I'm always angry
*this song plays*
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Princess » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:28 pm

Ugh, phone Snafu is so annoying.
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Senel: Stuff is the patron saint of getting shitfaced. You replaced your organs with an engine that runs solely on alcohol.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Really? I've found it pretty good
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Exodis » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Other than the "Quick Reply" glitch the phone-version is pretty good.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Live the Lovable Life, Die the Dreadful Death.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Last Savior

Postby Mir@k » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:39 pm

I love it because it always loads no matter how slow the connection is.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Princess » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:45 pm

I keep clicking on the wrong threads :(
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Senel: Stuff is the patron saint of getting shitfaced. You replaced your organs with an engine that runs solely on alcohol.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:52 pm

Zoom in?
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Rival » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:52 pm

Doctor banner ♪
Pelted by gamma rays ♫
Turns into the Hulk ♪
Ain't he unglamurays? ♥

I love watching 60's animated tv cartoons on youtube in general. There's always some comedy gold, be it voice acting, animation quality, writing, or all of the above:

Postby The Mad Doctor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Rival wrote:
Doctor banner ♪
Pelted by gamma rays ♫
Turns into the Hulk ♪
Ain't he unglamurays? ♥

I love watching 60's animated tv cartoons on youtube in general.

then you get these on the internet.
F U Im evil

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:50 pm

Ahh, the Spiderman Memes. I enjoy those.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby The Mad Doctor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 am

I think the awkward shots and spiderman's self centered personality is what make them popular.
F U Im evil

Postby Morpheus » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:30 am

Stuffaluffagus wrote:I keep clicking on the wrong threads :(

I stopped using the phone version the day after it came out.
Just switch back to the desktop version.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion