Welcome to the Weirdness

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: RP Mod Squad, Mod Squad

Re: Welcome to the Weirdness

Postby Sentios » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Unit 06 wrote:Indeed...

At least Kaworu didn't disappoint.

Except when he failed to communicate,    by not telling Shinji straight out that they'd fallen for the good old bait and switch   
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Unit 06 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:00 am

Sentios wrote:
Unit 06 wrote:Indeed...

At least Kaworu didn't disappoint.

Except when he failed to communicate,    by not telling Shinji straight out that they'd fallen for the good old bait and switch   

He was too busy making deep-thinking faces with his hand on his face...
Clone of Adam

Postby Rival » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:07 am

Sentios wrote:Except when he failed to communicate,    by not telling Shinji straight out that they'd fallen for the good old bait and switch   

Shinji likely would've ignored it anyway because plot. If I were Shinji even with how scarce in details Kaworu's pleading was, I wouldve stopped doing what I did.   
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby BG07 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:35 am

Rival wrote:
Sentios wrote:Except when he failed to communicate,    by not telling Shinji straight out that they'd fallen for the good old bait and switch   

Shinji likely would've ignored it anyway because plot. If I were Shinji even with how scarce in details Kaworu's pleading was, I wouldve stopped doing what I did.   

I think at that point Shinji was just desperate to set things right. Also he's not exactly the brightest kid.   

Postby aj_gatsz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:50 am

I hear that, there is an outrage because of the last episode of Game of Thrones. I would like to share my opinion about it. Is this the right forum for it?

Postby Rival » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 am

Sure feel free to, you can talk about anything here. Dunno how many people in RP follow it though.

But be sure to use spoiler tags. Tuor (among perhaps others) hasn't seen the episode yet.
BG07 wrote:   I think at that point Shinji was just desperate to set things right. Also he's not exactly the brightest kid.   

That's a pretty flattering interpretation for the movie's writers. It's pretty clear the goal of 3..33 was to have Shinji crushed by the end of the movie and they went with the easiest way too accomplish it. They just built him up too much in 2.22, so that much of his and other characters' actions in 3.33 seem illogical.

And I wouldn't say Shinji isn't bright. Most of the shit he goes through in the TV series up till EoE is beyond his control. Same in the first two Rebuild movies.   
Last edited by Rival on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby BG07 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:52 am

aj_gatsz wrote:I hear that, there is an outrage because of the last episode of Game of Thrones. I would like to share my opinion about it. Is this the right forum for it?

Go for it, I'm a huge fan. You might want to put spoiler tags up though, some serious shit happened in the last episode.

Postby aj_gatsz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Last episode of Game of Thrones (Season 3 Episode 9) got some outrage from the fans.
I would like to add my opinion into the discussion.
I didn’t read the book, just watching the TV show.

Rob Stark had it coming.
Seriously.
He is a goodie-goodie two shows character, just like his daddy was, and that was got him killed. He was idealistic, and made some bloody stupid decisions, what lead to his downfall. Stupid decisions, what a lot of positive and heroic characters in fiction do, but get away with it mostly because the antagonists are simply idiots. (Typical the taunting into a one on one duel, instead of getting the hero killed right away.) But with Martin the antagonists are smart as well, and the mistakes are punished!

Most obvious mistake:
Breaking his vow, and marry a commoner girl instead of a Frey as he promised.
Why was that stupid to do?
• He didn’t see any of the girls, so how could he know they are all ugly?
• He as an upstanding man, so honorable etc. breaking a vow… no comment.
• He was supposed to be a king. In that position marriage is serious business. Following his heart is fairy tales.
• Lord Frey had already a thorn in his side, because the Thullys didn’t give him the proper respect (see Season 2), and choosing a common girl, instead one of his high-born was such a slap in his face. I can understand why he wanted that lot killed.

Other mistake: the naivety.
• If I would have insulted a man the way Rob has Lord Frey, I would kept out of the man’s way, and not have asked his help.
• Cat told many times, that second marriage was not enough. Things were going too smoothly.

Ok, you could say, he had no choice to ask Lord Frey. That is kind of right, but the situation he was in was his own mistake as well. Let’s see how.
• Being all that soft hearted idealistic oh so honorable hero, like his late father. Winning battles, and taking so many prisoners, he barely could feed them and his own army as well.
o This may have turned Lord Bolton against him, who being a practical man could see that he lacks the guts to get his hands dirty, like a real king and warlord should. It was a war for crying out loud.
• This overpopulation led to the point that Jamie couldn’t be kept away from others, and this led to his escape and the death of Lord Karstark’s son.
• Setting Jamie free was the stupidest idea, but Cat was never famous for her wise decisions when it came to the Lanister siblings.
• This lead to Lord Karstark loosing it, and killing the Lanister boys. At this point things could have been saved, when Rob would have bent his principles for the war’s sake. He did bend them already for his… let’s be kind… heart’s sake. But oh, no! He looses half of his army for “Honor’s“sake.

So yeah, was basically happened is that Rob Stark just dug his own grave, by following some idealistic dreams. He got punished for making not one, but several mistakes.
Killing off main characters, because they make stupid decisions in a world where stupid decisions gets you killed, shows balls. This is a fresh approach to fantasy, where one isn’t invincible just because he is one of the good guys.   

And that’s why I think the show is awesome, and Martin writes great stuff!
Hell YEAH!

Postby BG07 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Well I tend to agree with you on all of that.

Rob did shoot himself in the foot, multiple times.   

But I think it should be said that
   The Frey's did do something incredibly underhanded by attacking at the wedding. There is a thing called the guest right, where anyone who eats food at the host's table is under their protection, neither person is supposed to harm one another. I think it's mentioned in season one a few times... but anyways, things went down practically the same way they did in the book so I wasn't surprised.   

Edit: Also this.

Postby aj_gatsz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Well I Lord Frey wasn't really famous for being reliable. (The Late Lord Frey.)
I wouldn't trust that man further I could throw him.
Besides, one "flaw" of the honorable Starks is, that they play by the rules, and think that everyone else does.   

This line just serves for the purpose of not being a totally black post.

Postby Sentios » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:15 pm

BG07 wrote:   I think at that point Shinji was just desperate to set things right. Also he's not exactly the brightest kid.   

He was also in a fight against Asuka and in a hurry to get the spears before she started attacking again. The only thing Kaworu said in the time before Shinji was already on top of the spears was 'Those aren't our spears' which means nothing at all to Shinji since he literally knows nothing about anything that has happened or how it happens. When Shinji asked what he meant he said nothing. It was the absolute worst time to be cryptic.    Hence Failure to Communicate the motion picture.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Exodis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:10 pm

So much spoilers. x_x'

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Savior

Postby The Mad Doctor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:16 pm

I never really liked censorship myself either.
Awaken child and embrace the glory of your jimmies. Know that we are the triune, the eternal will of rustling, and that you are created to serve us.
Shhh no tears only nightmares now

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:20 pm

It's useful for being in a conversation without ruining the entire thing. It's just the discipline you have to have to not open the spoilers is the problem. Never worked very well for me.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Exodis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:46 pm

I know it's pretty useful, but with so much spoilers this who page looks like a bunch of blank post with a few words.

Hail to the Savior

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:02 pm

It's the CIA section. We had to block things out.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Asmodai » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:59 am

TheMadDoctor wrote:I never really liked censorship myself either.

I for one love them... I still havent seen the latest season of GoT, so I'm not touching any of those black bars
Mephobiac

Postby Rival » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:21 am

Randori wrote:I know it's pretty useful, but with so much spoilers this who page looks like a bunch of blank post with a few words.

Well, the other two options are: 1) Ruining plots, surprises and twists for other people. 2) Discussing no fiction that's recent and topical.

I'm afraid you'll have to cope. Preferably without further complaints on something that's perfectly normal on any internet forum.

Postby Unit 06 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:03 am

So, does anybody like... Dark Souls?
Clone of Adam

Postby Exodis » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:09 am

I hear it's a pretty difficult.
So difficult that the developers just had to make a 2nd one.

Hail to the Savior

Postby Unit 06 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:33 am

Randori wrote:I hear it's a pretty difficult.
So difficult that the developers just had to make a 2nd one.

It's difficulty is highly exaggerated... Most certainly it's no push-over though.

And indeed, the sequel is something I'm looking forward to. I ask if anyone has an interest in the games because I'm thinking it'd be an interesting concept to RP...
Clone of Adam

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:08 am

Yeah, I also found that while it's difficult, it's not so much more so than, say, the SNES games of my youth. At least you don't have to start the whole game over when you're out of continues.

Personally, don't care much for the story. It's incredibly vague. Bringing that sense of mortality into an RP could be cool, though.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Unit 06 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:13 am

Vegedus wrote:Personally, don't care much for the story. It's incredibly vague. Bringing that sense of mortality into an RP could be cool, though.

There definately is story there, it just isn't the most obvious to find.    Mostly item descriptions and general assumptions from the DS community   

But yeah, I think it'd be a fun idea. Could involve some kind of stats-system too. Not sure how I'd implement levels, I might just give everyone a set amount of points to put into the different stats. And due to the curse of undeath, people would likely die quite frequently and perhaps have a sanity meter. Y'know, Being capable of enduring death after death after death probably ticks away at the poor brain.
Clone of Adam

Postby Archrival » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:29 am

Sanity is a clever aspect as it wouldn't mean you'd be out the game just having you play a more manic person based on personality and when you hit zero you go truly hollow and could turn on your fellow players.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby BG07 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:03 am

I'm a big fan of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, they were both very challenging games but that's what made them so rewarding and fun.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing