General Chat Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby The Mad Doctor » Fri May 17, 2013 8:20 am

Okay fine. I was just wanted to express my defense. Mocking me just iritates me and makes me want to go further. But if someone isn't willing to listen then I rest my case. They like their opinion, and they prefer to keep it. My rambling and defensive rage won't change it. And just to be clear, I am aware of some "impossible things" filmmakers always do, even though it's scientifically impossible. There is a whole lot of other stuff in science fiction that might become real in our lifetimes.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
Blighttown is easy

Postby Grey » Fri May 17, 2013 8:23 am

kurt vonnegut summed it up best when he described how his works were shoehorned into the "sci-fi" pigeonhole.

"Years ago I was working in Schenectady for General Electric, completely surrounded by machines and ideas for machines, so I wrote a novel about people and machines, and machines frequently got the best of it, as machines will. (It was called Player Piano, and it's coming out in hard covers again next spring.) And I learned from the reviewers that I was a science-fiction writer.
I didn't know that. I supposed that I was writing a novel about life, about things I could not avoid seeing and hearing in Schenectady, a very real town, awkwardly set in the gruesome now. I have been a sore-headed occupant of a file-drawer labeled ''science- fiction'' ever since, and I would like out, particularly since so many serious critics regularly mistake the drawer for a urinal."

he then explains that the way one gets shoved into this drawer is simply to notice technology.

it's far too all-encompassing. some of my favourite novels are technically sci-fi and some of them would be undeniably sci-fi, same with some of my favourite films. i just think it's a silly subgenre.
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Thiamor » Sat May 25, 2013 1:34 am

Been awhile since I've been on...and I want to know what the HELL happened to the forums, and why do they look so generically shitty now?
Working on another story other than Hellfire, called Geistauge, which can be found here.
Show me on the doll

Postby Tuor » Sat May 25, 2013 1:43 am

Oh hi, nice to see you too.

We changed shit, sup?

Personally, I'm happy those characters are no longer haunting the margins of the forum and am enjoying the cleaner, minimalistic look we have going on.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Thiamor » Sat May 25, 2013 1:52 am

Eh, still way too generic. Simplistic is one thing, generic is another.

Now it looks like one of those forums you could make online, done by any random halfwit.

At-least before it had some individuality onto it.
Working on another story other than Hellfire, called Geistauge, which can be found here.
Show me on the doll

Postby Tuor » Sat May 25, 2013 1:54 am

*big fat shrug*
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Exodis » Sat May 25, 2013 2:21 am

I think it's better. It's much more polished, much morebetter to handel. Plus the character comics tabs were a bit useless. Remove that, have a comics link and it's a bit better.
Btw, nice to meet cha.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Deemed as the best, Outlawed as the worst.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Kid

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sat May 25, 2013 5:13 am

And theres a more obvious sign-up button. I remember not being able to do that for months.

Blighttown is easy

Postby Rival » Sat May 25, 2013 6:22 am

Yay Champions League final today!
Tuor wrote:Personally, I'm happy those characters are no longer haunting the margins of the forum

With a filtering software like say adblock plus, you can block individual pics, including that background picture we used to have, while still allowing advertisements to give the site revenue, if you want. I block avatars that I find annoying. In other words, pbt's catbug and most pony ones.
Tuor wrote: and am enjoying the cleaner, minimalistic look we have going on.

There's that word again. It's not minimalistic, there's tons skeuomorphic elements in the design. http://skeu.it/

There are elements that are only there to give you the impression of looking at duct tape, printing errors, or ripped pages, a truly minimalistic design would never have that.

I'll just link screencaps so you guys know what I mean, sorry for the clumsy red markings, my right hand hurts rather badly:
http://i.imgur.com/rFR8JWM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hdeScMN.jpg
TheMadDoctor wrote:And theres a more obvious sign-up button. I remember not being able to do that for months.

That wasn't due to the design, registering of new members was blocked for a few months, BeeAre decided to do so due to bots flooding the forum, which at that point had an outdated security.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sat May 25, 2013 6:53 am

Have BeeAre tried using a captcha program in the forum? It would be usefull to prevent bots.

Blighttown is easy

Postby Rival » Sat May 25, 2013 7:03 am

Using captcha impacts activity on popular anonymous imageboards badly. Can you imagine what it'd do with activity on a forum like this?

Besides, the forum redesign included a security update, with the software being chosen by trustworthy people. And it's now been 6 months since registering was re-enabled and it works like a charm so far. So there's no need to worry in the foreseeable future.
Last edited by Rival on Tue May 28, 2013 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Tuor » Sat May 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Rival wrote:With a filtering software like say adblock plus, you can block individual pics, including that background picture we used to have, while still allowing advertisements to give the site revenue, if you want. I block avatars that I find annoying. In other words, pbt's catbug and most pony ones.
Tuor wrote: and am enjoying the cleaner, minimalistic look we have going on.

There's that word again. It's not minimalistic, there's tons skeuomorphic elements in the design. http://skeu.it/

There are elements that are only there to give you the impression of looking at duct tape, printing errors, or ripped pages, a truly minimalistic design would never have that.

I'll just link screencaps so you guys know what I mean, sorry for the clumsy red markings, my right hand hurts rather badly:
http://i.imgur.com/rFR8JWM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hdeScMN.jpg

ok

@ Mad Doc: Thomas came up with some security message that seem to have been working so far
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Grey » Sun May 26, 2013 11:06 pm

you edited your post

i know you did

i'm smart like that
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Tuor » Sun May 26, 2013 11:57 pm

So smart, grey-sama
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Exodis » Sun May 26, 2013 11:58 pm

Eh.
I've seen better.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.

The Kid

Postby Rival » Wed May 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Huh, the Wikipedia main page had the Liberty Reserve thing, as the top featured news item earlier today and now it's gone.

Clearly the Mumbai Indians winning the Indian Premier League in cricket, is a more important news item.

Postby Mir@k » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:33 pm

So what's going on of importance? c:
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:06 pm

All of the sudden I'm getting pop ups on the comics. Annoying as hell when I use my phone. Probably a good reason why they are there.

Blighttown is easy

Postby Rival » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:06 am

I have NoScript and ADP so I don't get pop-ups anywhere unless I allow it. Depending on if others can confirm getting the pop-ups, too, you might have ad-ware. If the pop-ups arent Sharkrobot related it's probably ad-ware.

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:23 pm

I've never had a pop up on this place with my phone, nor my computer.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby The Mad Doctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:45 pm

The majority of my browsing is on my phone. Getting a pop up ad designed for desktops are a pain in the ass.

Blighttown is easy

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:53 pm

You don't use a computer because?
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby The Mad Doctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:32 pm

Does it seem to matter much if I did?

Blighttown is easy

Postby Exodis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:49 pm

A lil...

The Kid

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Well for one, you wouldn't be getting the pop ups as bad or as much...

Just curious man, chill the fuck out.
Semper Vigilans

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion